フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Which atmas do you use?*WHM*
Which atmas do you use?*WHM*
 Bismarck.Eburo
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2012-02-16 14:04:28  
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
If you need anything else on WHM, you're rubbish and don't need to touch the job. There are situations where auto reraise is benefiting you more than any other atma possibly could.

I didn't know it was still a regular occurence to die in Abyssea.
 Alexander.Crazyvipa
サーバ: Alexander
user: Crazyvipa
By Alexander.Crazyvipa 2012-02-16 16:57:50  
Shiva.Gib said: »
why do people use apoc? being able to cast 3 version of RR isn't enough?

also if you're WHM and you find yourself having to spam RR... uhhh you might be doing it wrong

Ok, maybe you roll into Abyssea with an alliance and have people to cover you. Sure, with enough healing power & back up, you don't need RR. -- or maybe you do? idk.

That being said, we low-man everything. I am the one and only WHM. Not having to worry about casting RR on myself is a huge benefit. MM keeps my MP up pretty well, but a Cure VI only does so much when a MNK has 5k+ HP w/o breaking a sweat. If I spent that MP on casting RR on myself, it'd be foolish. Not to mention the added bonus of a instant Cure VI followed by another instant Cure VI.

All in all, the WHM's job is to concern him/herself with everyone else, not their own well-being. Do you really think SE gave WHMs Benediction to keep themselves alive? Highly doubt it, lol.

Shiva.Sleih said: »
If you need apoc on WHM at 99, then you don't need to be playing WHM. Sorry, but it kind of says how much confidence you have in yourself on WHM.
First, see above. Second, you obviously stick with the easy +1 paper mobs. Ever try to fight Dragua without RR? His AoE goes 30+, RR into that and you, and your party, is a goner. And why? You didn't have RR up. Unless, of course, as I stated above, you have multiple backups.

Seriously, all the WHMs out there. Don't ever, ever, ever run around with out forms of RR, and an extra scroll of RR for those moments when you can't spend the MP -- or the time. Keep your tank alive. Focus on people other than yourself. That is what makes a good WHM, not the gear, not the MP Pool, but the ability to support the tank & dd to do their job.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-02-16 17:05:02  
I don't know what's considered best, but I like MM, Allure, and Stormbird. Keeps me at 20 mp a tick, enough -enmity to spam cure6 as needed, and extra mind for many uses.

As for Apoc, IMO it's not particularly necessary unless you'll be dying without reraise, stuff like shin, duos with hate resets, etc. Not to mention, I don't even like when quick cast procs, it *** up my macros.

Edit: damn, I really want Ambition.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Xenophire
サーバ: Asura
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2012-02-16 17:37:26  
Josiahkf said: »
I duoed dragua at 90 cap like everyone else and there were never problems or deaths. if you're dying to him at 99 you need to re-prioritize man.
Abyssea is hard, yo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Charlot
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kur
By Bahamut.Charlot 2012-02-16 17:46:35  
Alexander.Crazyvipa said: »

also if you're WHM and you find yourself having to spam RR... uhhh you might be doing it wrong

Ok, maybe you roll into Abyssea with an alliance and have people to cover you. Sure, with enough healing power & back up, you don't need RR. -- or maybe you do? idk.

That being said, we low-man everything. I am the one and only WHM. Not having to worry about casting RR on myself is a huge benefit. MM keeps my MP up pretty well, but a Cure VI only does so much when a MNK has 5k+ HP w/o breaking a sweat. If I spent that MP on casting RR on myself, it'd be foolish. Not to mention the added bonus of a instant Cure VI followed by another instant Cure VI.

All in all, the WHM's job is to concern him/herself with everyone else, not their own well-being. Do you really think SE gave WHMs Benediction to keep themselves alive? Highly doubt it, lol.

If you need apoc on WHM at 99, then you don't need to be playing WHM. Sorry, but it kind of says how much confidence you have in yourself on WHM.
First, see above. Second, you obviously stick with the easy +1 paper mobs. Ever try to fight Dragua without RR? His AoE goes 30+, RR into that and you, and your party, is a goner. And why? You didn't have RR up. Unless, of course, as I stated above, you have multiple backups.

Seriously, all the WHMs out there. Don't ever, ever, ever run around with out forms of RR, and an extra scroll of RR for those moments when you can't spend the MP -- or the time. Keep your tank alive. Focus on people other than yourself. That is what makes a good WHM, not the gear, not the MP Pool, but the ability to support the tank & dd to do their job.

Wait.. why am I dying to Dragua? I don't usually use Apoc and I duo almost everything in abyssea (occasionally trio), w/o brews. I'm usually the one and only whm.

Next if I cannot keep mp, rr, and the tank/party alive on 99% of abyssea content w/o breaking a sweat. I have issues. I go /sch if I need rr in a pinch, I'll use a strat. I feel my job is to keep the party going AND look after myself.

Though I agree with the above poster if you meant that one fight when everyone d/c's. But again, I can usually still zombie with my many RR's.

I know that people use apoc, and I don't care if you do. Only thing I'm arguing if you cannot keep RR up and do your job, I would feel there are more issues then atma choices.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-16 17:48:54  
Sylph.Strident said: »
MM,Alure,rescuer is ultimate combo for whm!

Only if you don't have capped Cure Potency
[+]
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-16 17:52:00  
Asura.Krysanthia said: »
MM/Alure/Apoc

Why does everyone use Apoc? Not it is impossible to use RR when you have MM on
[+]
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-02-16 17:57:37  
I duoed dragua at 90 cap like everyone else and there were never problems or deaths. if you're dying to him at 99 you need to re-prioritize man.

But if you meant one single fight where your tank d/cs or something else crazy happens then my bad
Never understood how people wipe to Dragua..
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-02-16 17:58:47  
If you die so much as a whm that you need apoc, you or the entire rest of your party are doing something hella wrong. Can never understand why people use it. Yeah having that much rr is nice, but why the hell do you even need it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Eriina
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-02-16 18:10:45  
After reading this thread I have determined that the value one sees in using Apoc has a direct and inverse relationship to the size of your whm e-peen.
[+]
 Shiva.Sleih
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Sleih 2012-02-16 18:11:36  

I get the jist of what you're saying. I usually solo cure on the high tier NMs. We typically do low-man things or just choose more fire power. I always make sure I have Reraise up, and even then I don't die. I don't know if it's because I actually take the job seriously and use my buffs like a proper whm should, or am just somehow luckier than others and not die. SE gave whm Stoneskin, Blink, proshell, and bar spells for a reason. Hell, they even gave them Sancronicity which makes magic damage laughable. If you sub rdm you also have access to Phalanx which helps in damage reduction. I don't even use apoc for shinryu anymore, because that's how often I die on whm in anything involving abyssea. And before you say it's because you don't have to worry about it with a brew, that thing is a waste of a brew anymore. Thing only mob I'd even consider using apoc on is Apademik due to blms sucking and not stunning. THAT is the reason for my argument on not using apoc on whm. Yes, it's personal preference and all, but I'm just saying that you could make use of the hundred other atma at your disposal, and not have to make a crutch for yourself. Now, if you're going all battle mage and such, then have at it. You can keep your party members well alive and buffed, and also do yourself at the same time. Taking care of yourself in the end takes care of others. Paralyna yourself before the tank for example will make it a hell of a lot easier to heal them.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-02-16 18:24:20  
I agree with this entirely. Not denying that Apoc has its uses, but to use it as a default atma admits some lack of competency. Given that you are adequately prepared for each situation, you should never die twice in a row on whm, save Shinryu and a few others. NM has a dangerous 30 yalm move? Guess what, time your spells instead of compensating for suckage. NM hasn't TPd in 30 seconds? Hey bro, don't run in and cast a bar spell yet.
 Phoenix.Hawkhellfire
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Hawkhellfire 2012-02-16 18:25:24  
Bismarck.Eburo said: »
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
If you need anything else on WHM, you're rubbish and don't need to touch the job. There are situations where auto reraise is benefiting you more than any other atma possibly could.

I didn't know it was still a regular occurence to die in Abyssea.

It's not. But neither is choking. Most people eat 3 meals a day and do not choke. In fact, we don't even think about our chewing most of the time. BUT, occasionally ***happens and you choke (and hopefully can cough it up).

Much like Abys, it's a rare thing to die. BUT sometimes ***hits the fan. Mistakes happen. We're all human. There's nothing wrong with having a safety net.

If one doesn't want to use it, then by all means don't. Ragging on people who do though is pointless. There's nothing wrong with being prepared for the unexpected. In fact, that's probably the best survival technique both in game and irl.
[+]
 Shiva.Sleih
By Shiva.Sleih 2012-02-16 18:28:31  
Ragnarok.Eriina said: »
After reading this thread I have determined that the value one sees in using Apoc has a direct and inverse relationship to the size of your whm e-peen.
Hey! I can say in full confidence that when I see Araise, I get pretty dickhard.
 Odin.Minefield
サーバ: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2012-02-16 18:33:15  

I can't stop staring, sorry :< so cute
 Alexander.Crazyvipa
サーバ: Alexander
user: Crazyvipa
By Alexander.Crazyvipa 2012-02-16 22:27:03  

I get the jist of what you're saying. I usually solo cure on the high tier NMs. We typically do low-man things or just choose more fire power. I always make sure I have Reraise up, and even then I don't die. I don't know if it's because I actually take the job seriously and use my buffs like a proper whm should, or am just somehow luckier than others and not die. SE gave whm Stoneskin, Blink, proshell, and bar spells for a reason. Hell, they even gave them Sancronicity which makes magic damage laughable. If you sub rdm you also have access to Phalanx which helps in damage reduction. I don't even use apoc for shinryu anymore, because that's how often I die on whm in anything involving abyssea. And before you say it's because you don't have to worry about it with a brew, that thing is a waste of a brew anymore. Thing only mob I'd even consider using apoc on is Apademik due to blms sucking and not stunning. THAT is the reason for my argument on not using apoc on whm. Yes, it's personal preference and all, but I'm just saying that you could make use of the hundred other atma at your disposal, and not have to make a crutch for yourself. Now, if you're going all battle mage and such, then have at it. You can keep your party members well alive and buffed, and also do yourself at the same time. Taking care of yourself in the end takes care of others. Paralyna yourself before the tank for example will make it a hell of a lot easier to heal them.

) Esuna.
) Instant-cast & Instant-RR is hardly a crutch.
 Shiva.Sleih
By Shiva.Sleih 2012-02-16 22:48:19  

) Esuna.
) Instant-cast & Instant-RR is hardly a crutch.
Implying Misery doesn't get paralyzed, same with esuna. This also requires you to get close to your tank/anyone else. Yes, esuna makes things a hell of a lot easier, but that's a major risk to take, and can cost you some crucial time.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-02-16 22:56:58  
I don't think the people who use Apoc are unable to make sure they always have reraise up, it's just an added convenience. Some people love quick magic procs across the board, some people hate them.

If I felt my mule's performance suffered greatly by giving up the 3rd atma slot for Apoc, I wouldn't use it... I'm just yet to find myself in a position where I ran out of MP, pulled too much hate, or didn't have enough fast-cast (although, ironically, quick-magic...).

On the other hand, I have ended up in a position or two where I'd raise my mule and jump right back into curing without worrying about being killed again and it being game over (without an external raise). I'd say it might be different if I didn't always dual box, but I don't think it is.

I don't think anyone here, whether using apoc or not, has a distinct inability to cast reraise.
 Bahamut.Megrim
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Megrim
By Bahamut.Megrim 2012-02-16 23:07:45  
if i had to say atmas for whm would be pretty easy
Refresh > mp > mp for the most part
for regular pts i'd go MM, Allure, and Rescuer
for things that require multiple deaths switch rescuer for Apoc

most whm atma fairly easy to pick from.
 Asura.Xenophire
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2012-02-16 23:13:50  
Bahamut.Megrim said: »
if i had to say atmas for whm would be pretty easy
Refresh > mp > mp for the most part
for regular pts i'd go MM, Allure, and Rescuer
for things that require multiple deaths switch rescuer for Apoc

most whm atma fairly easy to pick from.
Like what?

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-16 23:28:48  
there is so much wasted potential here, you guy could be doing strong nukes or weaponskills to speed up the process of whatever your goal is that day in abyssea > < And capping cure potency is a cheap/easy venture, no excuse to waste atma slots bleh

cap divine cap staff cap club and actually have fun on whm -_-
That requires them to actually do something other than sit around and hope for some severe damage
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-02-16 23:30:35  
In the end, I think the general consensus is:

1) Minikin Monstrosity
2) w/e you want that matches your play style
3) w/e you want that matches your play style

=p
[+]
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-16 23:33:14  
Ideal set in my eyes - Allure, Minkin Monstrosity, and Undying with capped cure potency

Ideal set for people without capped Cure Potency - Allure, Minkin Monstrosity, and Rescuer
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-02-16 23:37:32  
Personally, I never considered Undying. I'd literally have to be /blm and spamming curaga V before low mp becomes a problem (maybe it helps being taru, idk). I'd rather use beyond if I was going to help with magic damage.
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-16 23:47:01  
Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said: »
Personally, I never considered Undying. I'd literally have to be /blm and spamming curaga V before low mp becomes a problem (maybe it helps being taru, idk). I'd rather use beyond if I was going to help with magic damage.

Undying is mainly for the MND+ for your Cures and MP is never an issue spamming Curaga V if you have +2 Pantaloons. Why even consider doing magic damage as a WHM just baffles me

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-02-17 00:47:11  
Ragnarok.Grimkitty said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Neisan said: »

Undying is mainly for the MND+ for your Cures and MP is never an issue spamming Curaga V if you have +2 Pantaloons. Why even consider doing magic damage as a WHM just baffles me
are you serious? or just *** with us lol. Here is someone capable of doing strong near instant cast nukes every ~60 seconds and limitless mp. why wouldn't you be nuking? too busy with....?

Try a fully charged solace holy II with Apollo + beyond sometime and see if your conserve mp is more valuable. And this is aside from the truly valuable easy azure light source when needed.
I say this because I have never been in a situation where I need to use a Holy nuke to save my life or to get azure light in Abyssea. Only ever cared about about keeping people alive from my previous LS and now in Voidwatch, so a Holy nuke really doesn't mean much to me
 Lakshmi.Kolvar
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Kolvar
By Lakshmi.Kolvar 2012-02-17 01:08:10  
Retitle this thread: Reasons why WHMs are stupid for using Apoc or Reasons why they stupid for not using it.

I use Apoc, mainly because I lazy. Do I need it, not really. Has the instant cast saved my ***, as well as parties, more times then I can count? Yes.

I hate forgetting to recast reraise. It has a great success of wearing off while I am in the middle of a fight and I can't recast it at that moment.

Apoc comes down to how you play and what you are doing. It isn't a bad thing to use, nor is it a must use. It's there.