users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » help on lik and gugrusarus neede
help on lik and gugrusarus neede
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-01-11 10:55:14  
So I finally got my WW skills to 72 so now I can repair my Lu Shang when trying to fish Lik and reeling them in slowly with this setup

skill: 100
gear:
- The basic fishing gear for +4 skill
- Noddy rings and Puffing ring
- Lu Shang and minnow*

* Gonna work on alchemy so I can just bring mats for the minnows instead

However I still get a lot of line breaks.

Any advice that I can do to reduce line breaks/rod breaks? Should I get syth support for more skill? Anyone on phoenix that would like to give an offer on selling me Liks and Gugrus weekly/daily?

-- edit --
Fixed typing errors.. even MORE than Siren.Kalilla >.>
TY for the fixup though LoL
 Valefor.Jaydn
サーバ: Valefor
user: Merp
By Valefor.Jaydn 2012-01-11 11:10:10  
Have you tried using an Albatross ring? That might help with the reeling in, I know I used one when catching my Lik to make it easier. Even with Ebisu I still get line breaks on legendary fish, it is just something that happens.

Also - I am not sure of the minnow prices on your server but I think it would be cheaper for you if you could just clear some inventory space and buy minnows vs. synth them.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-11 11:15:49  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
So I finally got my WW skills to 72 so now I can repair my lu shang when trying to fish lik and reeling them in slowy with this setup

skill: 100
gear:
- The basic fishing gear for +4 skill
- noddy rings and
- lu shang and minnow*

* Gonna work on alchemy so I can just bring mats for the minnows instead

However I still get a lot of line breaks.

Any advice that I can do to reduce line breaks/rod breaks? Should I get syth support for more skill? Anyone on phoenix that would like to give an offer on selling me liks and gugrus weekly/daily?
You'll want to use albatross ring which will let you have more time to reel in the fish.

Also, you're going to have line breaks no matter what. Even if you had all the best fishing gear, and all the furnishings, you will still have line breaks (and a lot of them). You're to the point where you are fishing fish that are notorious for breaking your line, and rod. I honestly wouldn't try to fight against it, and get upset over it. If fishing at 100 was 100% no line breaks it would be so boring (and to 99% of players fishing was boring to begin with). You can lower the amount of breaks you get by increasing your skill and using furnishings, but it will never go away to the point where it's rare to break your line.

Also, just buy minnows. I really doubt that bringing mats will lower the cost that much if at all.
[+]
 Sylph.Lyeria
サーバ: Sylph
user: Lyeria
By Sylph.Lyeria 2012-01-11 11:23:10  
Most probably going to need an Penguin Ring aswell. I could never manage to reel them in without using a Penguin Ring and Albatross Ring. Without those two rings the rod moves far to fast to control the fishes hp. If you use them both combined, Its pretty much the same as reeling in a moat carp. however, your rod and line will still break alot.

edit: buy minnows from the fishing guild npc in Aht Urhgan or Port windy, they are only like 300gil each.
 Asura.Chexmix
サーバ: Asura
user: Ranae
By Asura.Chexmix 2012-01-11 11:42:33  
@minnow prices it really varies via server. Like on Asura you are lucky to see minnow prices below 1500~ at any guild (including ferry ones) Bless you if all yours are still 400~ Crafting can save you little gil but more so time from waiting / running to guilds for little minnows.

If you plan to fish gugs, you def want to get an alba ring as you cant fish them without or the other one, penguin I think?
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-01-11 11:46:34  
I reel them in fine. i get hem all the way down to 0 stamina but then line snaps or rod breaks :-(

TY on the minnow tip i bought them on the boat from Mharau to Selbina

@ Da grammar nazi ^.^
Mats was more for space issues i have a lot (<- look with a space now) of crap on me

i've caugt 28 liks so far and used about 60 minnows but is that a normal line break rate ?

and also

OPAL SILK 1/21 jsut got it now to sell the other Liks ^.^
 Asura.Chexmix
サーバ: Asura
user: Ranae
By Asura.Chexmix 2012-01-11 11:49:02  
It can be normal yes, legends break frequently unfortunately. Well lik + gug anyway. Hakryu arent usually as bad.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-11 11:50:42  
grats!

I'm not a grammar nazi, I just couldn't read it...

I'm not sure about gug's or liks, but when I fish Hakuryu which break your line more often I think it's usually 1.5 fish per lure.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-01-11 12:19:43  
Thank you all again for the info. It seems I'm doing ok then

@kalilla
no i meant it with a happy wink ^.^

I know my typing goes to hell, when i type in "chatmode" instead of "codemode"
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-12 10:21:23  
Hey all you fishers!

Seeing that the OP was asking his question at lvl 100 fishing, I was wondering how much of a harder time I would have at 96.

I have WW almost to 72+ (plan on getting this done tonight or tomorrow) and have a plan to get penguin and albatross rings. The only thing I am going to be missing is fishing 100. Do you think with normal fishing+ gear taking me to 100 I should be ok to skill my last four levels off liks (I assume gugs would be harder to do this with)?

Any info/advice is much appreciated.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-12 10:42:35  
I didn't start noticing a huge difference until I started getting furnishings for fishing.

4 levels not so much, 8 levels then yea, you would notice it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-12 10:53:02  
I didn't notice at 5; at 5 it started to make a world of difference. Who'dda thunk?
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2012-01-12 10:54:27  
IMO, opportunity cost for fishing them up yourself is too high. Just make gil by other means and buy them.

Well, I've not played in a while, so I don't know how much they cost anymore. I think a lot of fisherman would be willing to make a deal for bulk sales.
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2012-01-12 12:50:38  
Fenrir.Divinian said: »
Hey all you fishers!

Seeing that the OP was asking his question at lvl 100 fishing, I was wondering how much of a harder time I would have at 96.

I have WW almost to 72+ (plan on getting this done tonight or tomorrow) and have a plan to get penguin and albatross rings. The only thing I am going to be missing is fishing 100. Do you think with normal fishing+ gear taking me to 100 I should be ok to skill my last four levels off liks (I assume gugs would be harder to do this with)?

Any info/advice is much appreciated.

I started fishing liks/gugs at 96. I got my final 4 levels off liks exclusively.
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-12 13:46:48  
Fairy.Spence said: »
IMO, opportunity cost for fishing them up yourself is too high. Just make gil by other means and buy them.

Well, I've not played in a while, so I don't know how much they cost anymore. I think a lot of fisherman would be willing to make a deal for bulk sales.

The problem with this is there is not a lot of people selling them and those that are sold are in such high demand that they are snatched up. I have spent about 5-7 mil on them already with no results.

I would rather do both!

Edit: Thanks for the info from those that helped out. I guess I will just try to get my last four levels while I fish gugs/liks.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-01-16 03:47:11  
Stil nobody on phoenix that want to sell me gugrusaurus ?
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-16 04:15:50  
What gaiaror said but on carbuncle? >.<?
 Sylph.Morihei
user: Onitaru
By Sylph.Morihei 2012-01-16 14:13:12  
Move to other servers with ebisu holders (Like me I need your gil <3)
 Sylph.Maruraba
user: Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2012-01-16 14:25:35  
Extra tip: Penguin Rings can be pain to obtain, so an alternative, IF you're willing to do Moblin Maze Mongers, is the Seagull Ring. I have one and it works the same way and it has no charges. Just get advanced fishing support and it'll last you a good long while.

The Albatross Ring is pretty much required, though, and ftr, it does stack with the Mooching effect if I recall right (not 100% on that, I did get my Ebisu a long while ago).
By Greever 2012-01-16 14:31:18  
come to fenrir and ill gladly hook u up
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-02-06 06:44:08  
GOT MY SABR SHOOOT TODAY.

approximately 1/200+
ebisu here i come
[+]