フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Fishing for Ebisu Items
Fishing for Ebisu Items
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:14:29  
Hello fellow fisherman,

I am currently level 96 fishing and looking forward to getting an ebisu. I have about 30k GPs left for serpent rumors.

To date, I am 0/215-ish on gugs and 0/7 (lol) on liks. There is rarely any gugs on AH and when there are, they are gobbled up quick. I had a steady seller, but a) I think she got bored with fishing gugs and b) I am using up all my gilz buying them. SO... I decided to set myself up to fish my own items.

I have pretty much all the mats I need to take WW to about 80 and am almost done with serpent rumors, so I have that part covered. What's worrying me atm are the rings that are needed to catch these things: Penguin and Albatross rings. The Penguin ring doesn't seem to be a big problem, but the albatross ring has me reconsidering my whole plan due to the difficulty in obtaining one.

I am very much a solo player these days, but I do have a dual box whm. The only info I can find on strats for the pirate's chart quest is old info on wiki. Does anyone have any ideas they can offer up? Is there an alternative to the albatross ring? Is my quest to fish my own items futile? Any ideas/suggestions/lolz would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr Albatross ring strats/alternatives {help me out!}
 Bismarck.Rosalee
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2012-01-07 21:20:25  
Other than getting the Albatross Ring, there's the MMM pair of rings (heron ring/seagull ring... I don't know exactly how well they work, though, plus you need to have guild support on for them to work.

Alternatively (and this is a very lengthy alternative) you could get the Mooching key item and go get some dwarf pugil/drill calamary to go fishing with.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-07 21:23:56  
MMM rings only provide a 1% support for what they do, they aren't worth getting unless you want to have everything for fishing.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:26:01  
Bismarck.Rosalee said: »
Other than getting the Albatross Ring, there's the MMM pair of rings (heron ring/seagull ring... I don't know exactly how well they work, though, plus you need to have guild support on for them to work.

Alternatively (and this is a very lengthy alternative) you could get the Mooching key item and go get some dwarf pugil/drill calamary to go fishing with.

Thanks for the reply!

I looked at those MMM rings on wiki and it looks like albatross rings are still needed in order to catch the fish in the allotted time. Plus, MMM is like the one system in this game that goes right over my head. I tried reading the page about it on the wiki and it was pretty incomprehensible to me. It's like its written in another language!
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:27:24  
How about this...

Has anyone actually gotten an albatross ring without using smn two-hours? Seems all the testimonials for the Pirate's chart quest are about smn duos and trios, lol.

Edit: I might be willing to get my smn to 20 as well as my d-box mule if it is easy enough to duo, but it looks like it might be a little to involved to dual box, idk.
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-07 21:29:08  
Unless you have special assistance, you basically have to have both rings and/or mooching + special bait to reliably pull them in.

So, yea.

I thought I read somewhere that a smn can solo it sometimes and duo it reliably, too. Might want to check around on Wiki for a suggestion there.

Good luck!

Edit: Just do it with smn. Can go naked and the level restriction is 20. Not a big deal.
By Lennah 2012-01-07 21:31:51  
From experience...

You either need BOTH an Albatross ring and a Penguin ring...or you need one of the above plus mooching w/the appropriate bait.

Meatballs work wonders. Also...if you can only get one of those two rings and do not have mooching, you should be able to catch them on the Pirates ferry out of selbina. But it is MUCH easier to simply get both rings and do the Mhuara <-> Al Zahbi one.

Also, another strategy to obtain the albatross ring is to acquire the items to prevent hundred fists and use invincible. But the Smn method is incredibly easy...highly recommended.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:32:01  
Bahamut.Serj said: »
Unless you have special assistance, you basically have to have both rings and/or mooching + special bait to reliably pull them in.

So, yea.

I thought I read somewhere that a smn can solo it sometimes and duo it reliably, too. Might want to check around on Wiki for a suggestion there.

Good luck!

Edit: Just do it with smn. Can go naked and the level restriction is 20. Not a big deal.

Thank you.

Again, if I can find enough evidence that it can be done consistently, I might be willing to level two smns to 20, I just don't want to do it for a chance at it.
By Lennah 2012-01-07 21:32:54  
Fenrir.Divinian said: »

So, yea.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Again, if I can find enough evidence that it can be done consistently, I might be willing to level two smns to 20, I just don't want to do it for a chance at it.

If you go on ice day and use Shiva..it is 100% chance.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:33:24  
Lennah said: »
From experience...

You either need BOTH an Albatross ring and a Penguin ring...or you need one of the above plus mooching w/the appropriate bait.

Meatballs work wonders. Also...if you can only get one of those two rings and do not have mooching, you should be able to catch them on the Pirates ferry out of selbina. But it is MUCH easier to simply get both rings and do the Mhuara <-> Al Zahbi one.

Also, another strategy to obtain the albatross ring is to acquire the items to prevent hundred fists and use invincible. But the Smn method is incredibly easy...highly recommended.

By the smn method do you mean solo, duo, or trio? Could dual-boxing work here? Lastly, is the albatross ring 100% from the quest?
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:33:56  

So, yea.

Good luck!

Thank you.

If you go on ice day and use Shiva..it is 100% chance.

with 2 only or solo?
By Lennah 2012-01-07 21:36:57  
From experience...

By the smn method do you mean solo, duo, or trio? Could dual-boxing work here? Lastly, is the albatross ring 100% from the quest?

1. Albatross ring is 100%

2. Solo is possible, but you need items and it MUST be on Iceday for a chance to win.

3. Duo is very easy on ice day. Just summon shiva and Diamond Dust X2. Dual boxing is np

4. Trio is a walk in the park. Diamond Dust X3 will kill the mobs on any day, even Firesday.

5. Things to watch out for: Make sure you kill the gobs roaming the beech right before you start the battle because they WILL aggro during the fight. And do not summon Shiva as soon as you trade the Pirate's Chart. Wait until the taru says there are 3 monster before you summon or you risk your MP running out (if you go naked).

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: Actually, a friend just mentioned she soloed it as a naked smn on darks day...but I wouldn't recommend it, esp. not the first time you do it. Just dual box it on ice day.
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:38:42  
From experience...

1. Albatross ring is 100%

2. Solo is possible, but you need items and it MUST be on Iceday for a chance to win.

3. Duo is very easy on ice day. Just summon shiva and Diamond Dust X2. Dual boxing is np

4. Trio is a walk in the park. Diamond Dust X3 will kill the mobs on any day, even Firesday.

5. Things to watch out for: Make sure you kill the gobs roaming the beech right before you start the battle because they WILL aggro during the fight. And do not summon Shiva as soon as you trade the Pirate's Chart. Wait until the taru says there are 3 monster before you summon or you risk your MP running out (if you go naked).

Hope this helps! :)

Guess I will be leveling smn to 20 (might as well go to 30) and unlocking some avatars. Thanks to everyone who replied. I have some confidence now to get this done.
By Lennah 2012-01-07 21:39:55  
Good luck! :)
 Fenrir.Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2012-01-07 21:40:09  
Good luck!^.^

Thanks!