[Dev] Fishing Q&A + Fishing System Change

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » [Dev] Fishing Q&A + Fishing System Change
[Dev] Fishing Q&A + Fishing System Change
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-11-08 17:12:34  
11-08-2011 05:02 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Here is some information and feedback on fishing I’d like to pass along.

First, in regards to the fishing system itself, we are currently looking into a few things so please give us a bit more time.

As a broad direction, we are thinking of changing it so instead of continuously pressing the arrow keys, you will only need to press it once, as well as adjustments that go along with this (for example, stats on a variety of items, etc.). Through this, it won’t be possible to have the same exact advantages/disadvantages for lag between clients, but we are trying to narrow the gap.

However, we need to totally change the program and our highest priority is to solve the freezing problem, so this change will not take place right away.

I realize that this is an important topic and we appreciate your understanding.

Here are some replies to questions and feedback we have been seeing:

Quote:
Can you make Noddy Ring and Puffin Ring into earrings? This way we can equip Seagull Ring and Heron Ring at the same to boost our fishing even further?
From a system standpoint, if we were to change the equipment slot on an existing item, strange things could possibly occur, so it might be better to create different items with similar stats.

We will need to look into whether or not we can actually implement this, but I believe there is a possibility.

Quote:
Could you remove the level cap on the pirate’s chart quest?
If we were to remove the level cap on the pirate’s chart quest, the whole point of the battle would be lost. If we were to do something, I think it would be better to revamp the quest. (As an alternate example, it’s the same thinking as ENMs).

Quote:
I think it would be interesting to be able to add augments to Ebisu and Lu Shang’s Fishing Rod.
We would probably be able to do something along the lines that if the rod breaks the effect will be lost. This is something we’d like to look into further.

Quote:
Instead of the Magian Moogles, for enhancing Ebisu and Lu Shang’s fishing rod, could the quests be from the old man in Rabao or the two brothers in San d’Oria?
Only if you are willing to take on the challenges that only these legendary masters can do!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-11-08 17:13:26  
Buffs for your fishing rod? Magian trial like quests for ebisu or lu shang? Interesting I guess >.> very strange!
 Bismarck.Dreadnot
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dreadnot 2011-11-08 17:16:14  
I would like an updated system where I didn't have to mash the arrow keys. Augments would be cool too.
By mortontony1 2011-11-08 17:16:36  
Dude that'd be awesome.
 Bahamut.Krizz
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2011-11-08 17:18:23  
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I miss old school fishing.
[+]
By Greever 2011-11-08 17:26:23  
Quote:
Quote:
I think it would be interesting to be able to add augments to Ebisu and Lu Shang’s Fishing Rod.
We would probably be able to do something along the lines that if the rod breaks the effect will be lost. This is something we’d like to look into further.

are they implying that soon there will be fish that can break my ebisu? :o
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-11-08 17:28:21  
Bahamut.Krizz said: »
Seconded. Fishing is going "Abyssea" easy with people wanting "reward nao plz"
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-11-08 17:29:21  
Greever said: »
Quote:
Quote:

1 saber shoot or opal silk to fix!
[+]
By Nevill 2011-11-08 17:31:12  
God I wish they would leave fishing alone....
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-11-08 17:45:13  
Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said: »
Seconded. Fishing is going "Abyssea" easy with people wanting "reward nao plz"

Old fishing system was completely stupid, at least this new one you actually have to do something lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-11-08 17:56:24  
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Old fishing system was completely stupid, at least this new one you actually have to do something lol.
I got nothing against working for your rewards, but I do think that as it stands right now, it has a balanced combination of work vs reward. Adding items to make fishing easier, more profitable, or faster seems to me to move fishing toward the "Too Weak" catagory, especially since its remained one of the untouched and uncorrupted parts of the game for a long time. Fishing as it is right now feels to me like FFXI heritage.
 Sylph.Nephriel
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nephriel
By Sylph.Nephriel 2011-11-08 17:58:57  
Quote:
Quote:
Could you remove the level cap on the pirate’s chart quest?
If we were to remove the level cap on the pirate’s chart quest, the whole point of the battle would be lost. If we were to do something, I think it would be better to revamp the quest. (As an alternate example, it’s the same thinking as ENMs).

As someone who isn't even playing right now and is still mad about what they did to CoP this line really pissed me off -.-

I like the new fishing system though. It was so dull back in the day I could never get into it. I thought it was in a pretty good place*.

Edit: I do think they should ease up on the items. I agree with the above post.

Edit the second: I also never really used fishing as a big income source. Maybe a bit on Nebs back in the day, but for me it was usually because I wanted to ride the ferry and wear snazzy blue clothing. Maybe my thoughts are not totally valid or relevant <_<;

*Note: My fishing is only 21 so take my comment with a grain of salt.
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-11-08 18:11:26  
Adding items to make fishing easier, more profitable, or faster seems to me to move fishing toward the "Too Weak" catagory,

Fishing has one of the worst gil:time ratio in the game. You can afk in a curor party and pull in several mil in a few hours. You'd need to fish 24 straight hours or more on Haks to make that much.

Anything to make fishing better is welcomed.
[+]
By mortontony1 2011-11-08 18:20:37  
Bahamut.Serj said: »
Adding items to make fishing easier, more profitable, or faster seems to me to move fishing toward the "Too Weak" catagory,

Fishing has one of the worst gil:time ratio in the game. You can afk in a curor party and pull in several mil in a few hours. You'd need to fish 24 straight hours or more on Haks to make that much.

Anything to make fishing better is welcomed.

At least on Fenrir, you get kicked if you afk for more than like 30 minutes typically. Or if you're paying, but then the money youd make from that gets used up.
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-11-08 19:37:40  
Greever said: »
Quote:
Quote:

Any fish that could break an ebisu would have to NPC for at least 500k before it would get my attention
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-11-08 19:49:22  
Wow I'm surprised, they fully allowed for fishermen/women to use PC laggers to fish.
 Siren.Barber
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2011-11-08 20:02:47  
I leveled under the old system and I hated the long strings of 'you didn't catch anythings'. People are also quick to forget the horrible horrible /wait time in between casts under the old system, especially for low/mid levels.

Having said that leveling woodworking via broken rods was 99999x easier under the old system I'm sure. And let's be honest, the entire point of the fishing mini game was to curtail botting but people just made better bots.

I joked around that only a magian trial for ebisu would get me back into this game. I never thought they might actually do it. 100 matsya for +1 discernment on your ebisu rod? Sign me up.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-11-08 20:31:22  
Siren.Barber said: »
I leveled under the old system and I hated the long strings of 'you didn't catch anythings'. People are also quick to forget the horrible horrible /wait time in between casts under the old system, especially for low/mid levels.

Having said that leveling woodworking via broken rods was 99999x easier under the old system I'm sure. And let's be honest, the entire point of the fishing mini game was to curtail botting but people just made better bots.

I joked around that only a magian trial for ebisu would get me back into this game. I never thought they might actually do it. 100 matsya for +1 discernment on your ebisu rod? Sign me up.
lol....... that would be a slap in the face, and a blessing, for all the people who have matsya stored up on their mules for the day they add it to the quest.
By Tata 2011-11-08 22:40:06  
100 Matsya? Don't give them ideas! (;゜ロ゜)

But I still would like a Fish Bucket that stores only fish please. Lvl 100 Fishing Quest? Extra Satchel/Sack {Yes, Please}!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-11-09 09:12:15  
People are also quick to forget the horrible horrible /wait time in between casts under the old system, especially for low/mid levels.

Here was my original fishing macro when I first started the game:
Code
/echo Initiating Fishing.
/wait 14
/fish

Yes, /wait 14...

It wasn't so bad at high level. Capped at 100 I think it got down to /wait 3 or 4, almost the same as it is these days (until you catch a few haks and your fatigue starts going up orz).
 Lakshmi.Forsell
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Forsell
By Lakshmi.Forsell 2011-11-09 09:22:06  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Buffs for your fishing rod? Magian trial like quests for ebisu or lu shang? Interesting I guess >.> very strange!

+2 light resistance go!
 Shiva.Kewitt
サーバ: Shiva
user: ginger
By Shiva.Kewitt 2011-11-09 09:41:12  

I miss it a little outside of the catch rate.
 Cerberus.Wojo
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-11-09 09:58:08  
YOu should be able to hook up a dance pad and fishing would be like DDR.
[+]
 Cerberus.Elgato
By Cerberus.Elgato 2011-11-09 10:20:55  
Just leave fishing the eff alone.

Edit: Ok ok, you can remove the 200/day cap. I can't remember the last time I saw an RMT fish bot.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nibu
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2011-11-09 11:49:36  

Laughing Lizard said:
Eh? You say somethin'?
Hmph! You dang kids these days ain't go no respect for your elders. Can't you see I'm tryin' to learn this new fandagled fishin' method? In my day, all we had to do was cast a line and wait for the baby to tug. Why, back then it was so easy, I could catch fish while I was slieepin'!
But now you gotta work for your meal!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dreadnot
By Bismarck.Dreadnot 2011-11-09 12:00:02  
Cerberus.Kaht said: »
People are also quick to forget the horrible horrible /wait time in between casts under the old system, especially for low/mid levels.

Code
/wait 14
/fish

Yes, /wait 14...

It wasn't so bad at high level. Capped at 100 I think it got down to /wait 3 or 4, almost the same as it is these days (until you catch a few haks and your fatigue starts going up orz).

Until you got into the 40's yeah the wait time was there, but I'll take the wait time and being able to type a conversation with LS members over mashing arrow keys 5000 times an hour. I had a key press program that I ran the last time I was fishing A.Pisces. I was at 5162 key presses just reeling in fish for 1 hour.

I need to buy a PS2 for easy fishing.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-11-09 15:30:43  
Bismarck.Dreadnot said: »

Code
/wait 14
/fish

Yes, /wait 14...

Until you got into the 40's yeah the wait time was there, but I'll take the wait time and being able to type a conversation with LS members over mashing arrow keys 5000 times an hour. I had a key press program that I ran the last time I was fishing A.Pisces. I was at 5162 key presses just reeling in fish for 1 hour.

The recast time was lowered by 1 second every 10 levels. So at level 40 you'd still have to wait 10 seconds between recasts. Once a fish bit the line all you had to do was press enter, so you saved a lot of time there. However, more often than not you'd end up with no fish on the line. I'd rather not go back to that system... At least with the fish fighting system there's always something on the other end of the line once you finally reel it in.
 Valefor.Mess
サーバ: Valefor
user: Castielx
By Valefor.Mess 2011-11-10 00:26:59  
Bismarck.Dreadnot said: »

Code
I need to buy a PS2 for easy fishing.[/quote]
[quote='Bismarck.Dreadnot' pid=1614866][quote='Cerberus.Kaht' pid=1614683][quote='Siren.Barber' pid=1614143]People are also quick to forget the horrible horrible /wait time in between casts under the old system, especially for low/mid levels.[/quote]

[code]/echo Initiating Fishing.
/wait 14
/fish

Yes, /wait 14...

I use a PS2 controller to play FFXI on PC. The PS2 to USB thing cost like ten bucks and it's plug and play. You can also use a PS3 controller through USB and download a program called Motionjoy. Thought I'd put that out there.

As for a fish that can break my Ebisu? I didn't spend countless hours and millions of gil for this thing to end up being breakable. I will lose my cool.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-11-10 08:36:16  
Valefor.Mess said: »
I use a PS2 controller to play FFXI on PC. The PS2 to USB thing cost like ten bucks and it's plug and play. You can also use a PS3 controller through USB and download a program called Motionjoy. Thought I'd put that out there.

Using the PS2 controller doesn't make fishing easy. Fishing on a PS2 makes fishing easy.

For some strange reason, SE though it would be a good idea to have a fish's stamina reduction tied directly to the FPS your game is running at. On a slow, old machine like a PS2 the fish's stamina is reduced more easily - you'll see similar results fishing on a slow pc. When I'm doing general FFXI stuff, I use my newer computer which is about 2 years old, but when I fish I go hop on my 11 year old gateway pentium 4 1.3ghz machine with a 64meg graphics card. I've got every setting in the game set to minimum to make it run as fast as possible, and it still only gets like 15fps. Fishing on this machine is considerably easier than using the newer, more up-to-date computer.
By Tata 2011-11-10 13:36:25  
Valefor.Mess said: »

Using the PS2 controller doesn't make fishing easy. Fishing on a PS2 makes fishing easy.

For some strange reason, SE though it would be a good idea to have a fish's stamina reduction tied directly to the FPS your game is running at. On a slow, old machine like a PS2 the fish's stamina is reduced more easily - you'll see similar results fishing on a slow pc. When I'm doing general FFXI stuff, I use my newer computer which is about 2 years old, but when I fish I go hop on my 11 year old gateway pentium 4 1.3ghz machine with a 64meg graphics card. I've got every setting in the game set to minimum to make it run as fast as possible, and it still only gets like 15fps. Fishing on this machine is considerably easier than using the newer, more up-to-date computer.

My friend have a nice computer that doesn't lag at all even when multibox. The solution? Downgrade the speed by using CPU Killer. It works wonders.