サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-10-13 18:52:37  
10-13-2011 06:46 PM
[source]
Bayohne
Community Rep

As we have explained before, we hope you understand that Ternary Flourish was implemented with future growth in mind. We plan on strengthening this ability through equipment and merits, and we appreciate your patience as we do so.

We plan on adjusting all jobs, but our highest priorities right now are adjusting puppetmaster, corsair, scholar, dragoon, and warrior’s firepower. We will be working on these job adjustments in order of priority.

In response to a comment asking for Charis Casaque (+1 and +2) to apply to Ternary Flourish as well... if Charis Casaque (+1 and +2) also increased the effects of Ternary Flourish, they would be too powerful as gear items, so we do not plan on implementing those adjustments.

Also, Flourish-type abilities are not separated by rank or effectiveness, but are separated so that they are useful in different situations, so even if an item were to increase the effects of Ternary Flourish, the effects would not be exactly the same as "increasing the effects of Striking Flourish."

Please continue to offer up your feedback on how you want dancer to shine and we will use them as reference points when we think of support abilities for dancers.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-10-13 18:59:20  
Quote:
Also, Flourish-type abilities are not separated by rank or effectiveness, but are separated so that they are useful in different situations

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM

They are all pretty much useless (except situationally) as long as we have Reverse Flourish.

Oh and climactic, but still.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-10-13 19:01:02  
You can always discuss it on the official forums, I provided the link.

I haven't used dnc lately so I wouldn't be any good discussing it :(
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-10-13 19:04:13  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
You can always discuss it on the official forums, I provided the link.

I haven't used dnc lately so I wouldn't be any good discussing it :(

Sorry about angry post, it was almost involuntary xD

I just might, but I'm no real expert on Dancer :/ It's just that is my gripe with the job so far: we have quite a few cool abilities that never get used because Reverse Flourish is so much more useful generally.
 Phoenix.Pooman
user: Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-10-13 19:06:31  
Different situations? In what situation would you use Ternary, and not Climactic? I mean really. Maybe they'll have something that makes Ternary do four hits instead of three? Stil...
Please don't tell me they're going to be focusing all their time on this useless flourish.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-10-13 19:15:04  
Phoenix.Pooman said: »
Different situations? In what situation would you use Ternary, and not Climactic? I mean really. Maybe they'll have something that makes Ternary do four hits instead of three? Stil...
Please don't tell me they're going to be focusing all their time on this useless flourish.

its SE, dont doubt for a second they're going to focus all their dnc-manpower on this useless flourish
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-10-13 19:22:57  
I'm not Dancer, but I wonder would it be useful to Dancer's if they had a secondary finishing move to power other flourishes? Like say using a Step gave you two points of Finishing Move A and one point of Finishing Move B which is used to power some of the other flourishes? Is the main problem the fact that there is not enough steps to make use of all the different flourishes because Reverse Flourish and Climactic are that much better and are pretty much consume all your steps when used?

I'm more curious then anything else, and randomly adding my input to the discussion while I'm at it. Apologies if I'm totally wrong on why Dancer's don't need other flourishes.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-10-13 19:26:18  
Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I'm not Dancer, but I wonder would it be useful to Dancer's if they had a secondary finishing move to power other flourishes? Like say using a Step gave you two points of Finishing Move A and one point of Finishing Move B which is used to power some of the other flourishes? Is the main problem the fact that there is not enough steps to make use of all the different flourishes because Reverse Flourish and Climactic are that much better and are pretty much consume all your steps when used?

I'm more curious then anything else, and randomly adding my input to the discussion while I'm at it. Apologies if I'm totally wrong on why Dancer's don't need other flourishes.

The problem is indeed finishing moves, and this would be a reasonable solution, but I'm afraid SE would be like "Nope, overpowered".

Another answer would be to actually RAISE the cap of finishing moves, but still limit the amount that is expended with each flourish. Maybe a job ability:

"Temporarily raises amount of finishing moves that can be stored, but raises recast time on flourishes"

or something. Would at least encourage using Flourishes of other groups!

EDIT: Yeah, also recast timers of the groups would be another constraint.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-10-13 19:27:02  
Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »

its not just FM usage, its also flourish timers, and efficiency.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-10-13 19:47:46  
Yeah, that's what I was implying a little (apologies for not out right stating) too with the separation of FM's is to reorganize flourishes so that different flourishes use different FM types and put the lesser effective ones into the other flourish category.
By Quiznor 2011-10-13 20:07:31  
I have no idea on the use/functions of this JA,I'm just surprised no one noticed they said "through merits"

New merit point spoiler!
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2011-10-13 20:31:12  
Quiznor said: »
I have no idea on the use/functions of this JA,I'm just surprised no one noticed they said "through merits"

New merit point spoiler!
except they already said they are going to rework the current merits and add new ones.
By Kalima 2011-10-14 05:10:30  
"We gave you guys a flourish that both you and we know is useless..but don't worry we will buff it and make it useful...eventually" is my problem with all this.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-10-14 05:40:23  
I've already given them a way to make it useful, or at least use-able.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [50 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Alistrianna
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-12-03 13:06:42  
I remember Byrth mentioning that for Exenterator, the new dagger ws, Ternary Flourish may be our best option to pair with the WS. I was wondering, how would items like Chiner's Belt and Demonry Ring pair up with Ternary in this situation?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-12-03 18:45:57  
We don't know the damage enhancement on either item, so hard to say. There's also the question of whether Ternary would be an efficient use of FMs... Just because it's the best choice for the WS doesn't mean it's a good choice to actually use.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-12-03 20:06:48  
if you have rudra, using climactic still wins period. if you dont, climactic should STILL win since it doesnt affect 1 ws, it affects 6 main hand hits, so basically atleast 2 ws can make use of the ability, where as ternary only affects 1 and has a longer recast. The only thing ternary is used for is the occasional pretty ws, by pretty i mean 200-300 more dmg outside abyssea. it would take quite a bit of triple attack dmg gear for ternary to tip the scales. so no, it's still not worth using it, being the best ability to make a ws stronger doesnt always mean it's the best ability to use.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-12-06 14:32:17  
Ternary is good for boosting the damage of a non-rudra's weaponskill immediately before two-minutes-and-thirty-seconds of AFK.