Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-07-28 13:48:38  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

if you're botting, as anyone should be

that guide is overly complicated and outright wrong

while it's nice, long, and properly formatted, all of those things still don't make it correct :(

Sorry I wasn't aware that I'm supposed to assume everyone bots, even though you attempt to work it into every post you put in the fishing forum.

If you bot, buy a lu shangs and shrimp lure, go to talacca cove and go to bed. If you don't, feel free to use my guide.

Hopefully that's unformatted enough for you.
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
サーバ: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-08-04 15:09:59  
Carbuncle.Snoochybooch said:
All done in Nashmau:
0-53 Robber Rig, Istiridye (If no Lu, Halcyon to 27 on Nebs)
53-86 Shrimp Lure, Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
86-99 Lugworm or Sinking Minnow, Pterygotus
99-100 QSC, Meatballs/Cave Cherax OR Oldton Movalpolos, Sinking Minnow/Armored Pisces, OR Lik/Gugs Minnow/Meatballs

Taken from BG

I was using this guide but holy ***are the skillups slow. Like .1 every 30 minutes or so.

Currently level 6, in Nashmau, fishing Istiridye with Robber. Is it always this slow or is there some added skill reduction due to the level gap?
 Cerberus.Kaht
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-08-04 15:27:01  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
I was using this guide but holy ***are the skillups slow. Like .1 every 30 minutes or so.

Currently level 6, in Nashmau, fishing Istiridye with Robber. Is it always this slow or is there some added skill reduction due to the level gap?

Fishing skillups are considerably lower than all other crafts. From eyeballing it (which admittedly isn't any sort of concrete proof), it always seemed to me that I'd get faster skillups if I kept my levels closer to the fish I was targeting (within 10 levels or so). But again, that was just eyeballing it.

.1 every 30 mins at level 6 is pretty bad tho...
 Cerberus.Elgato
By Cerberus.Elgato 2011-08-06 01:17:19  
First and foremost, get in touch with a high level fisher on your server to get 2x Pelican Rings. You can now get both at once since the rings can be won on a mule and dboxed to your main.

For lower levels, get a halcyon rod if you can't get a Lu yet:

Moat Carp until cap using insect paste
Yellow Globes to cap using Sabiki Rig (slow skillups)
Nebs on ferry - skip if you're like me and hate ferry fishing
Shall Shells on beach in dunes with robber rig to 53

Get a Lu before continuing, really its just not worth it otherwise

Nashmau using Lu + Shrimp Lure until 90. NPC mercanbaligi and ahtapots to Mithra inside ferry area.
Best bet 90+ I think is to just do Lik in Lufaise with minnows. This assumes you have the ability to repair your Lu. 2 stacks of light crystals and 35 or so minnows should last to fatigue. Trade em to Zaldon to work on Ebisu. I'd stick with em until 100 even if you get your silk just because gugs really suck. Just sell the Lik's until 100, then get to work on gugs.

My alt has gone 0-72 in just under a month so all this info is pretty fresh, and she didn't have a Pelican Ring until 25ish. <50 with 1 Pelican Ring I usually got about 4.5 in skill for every 200 fish.
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-06 01:36:00  
I would really like to get my fishing skill to 100. That said I find fishing really boring and don't want to it. Can anyone recommend a way to level up my fishing without having to do all the boring stuff... and by that i mean the fishing.

P.S. I would also like to be able to level up my fishing while playing mount & blade which requires me to log out of ffxi if you can find a way to include that in your solution I would be grateful.
[+]
 Fenrir.Uzugami
サーバ: Fenrir
user: SSJAV
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-06 01:38:26  
Lakshmi.Galith said:
I would really like to get my fishing skill to 100. That said I find fishing really boring and don't want to it. Can anyone recommend a way to level up my fishing without having to do all the boring stuff... and by that i mean the fishing.

P.S. I would also like to be able to level up my fishing while playing mount & blade which requires me to log out of ffxi if you can find a way to include that in your solution I would be grateful.
Dat sounds like an bot.
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-08-06 01:39:43  
Fenrir.Uzugami said:
Lakshmi.Galith said:

Dat sounds like an bot.

That is a good suggestion but I have seen terminator and am not willing to risk it.
By Powerslave 2011-08-06 01:44:16  
I gave Soles in qufim a shot for a while...but I honestly still prefer Talacca. If you're under 86 you can continue catching Mercanbaligi along with the Dil (which are the same exact thing as black sole) and the npc price isn't a whole lot different.

Auction house prices fluctuate pretty greatly on soles, at least on levi they usually do, and I don't think it's worth filling up 16 slots in the AH waiting for them to sell to make a bit more gil.

That being said, post 86, targeting only dil in Talacca, I average a much better bite rate on dil than black sole. Again, that's just my take on it, from an npcing your fish standpoint of course.
By Powerslave 2011-08-06 01:46:59  
Phoenix.Neosutra said:
Carbuncle.Snoochybooch said:

Don't remember where I read it...but I recall something about fishing skill-ups in the lower levels being much more plentiful if the fish you're catching is withing 15 levels of your current skill level.

Maybe give moat carp and yellow globes a shot until around 15ish? That's what I did and it was fairly quick. After that I just perma-sat myself in Talacca.
 Cerberus.Elgato
By Cerberus.Elgato 2011-08-06 01:59:13  
Moats seem to be really good for skillups, but then they only go to 11. I think moats are SE's way of getting people into fishing - they bite everywhere, fly off the AH, and are one of the better skillup fish around.