Lu Shang insight
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-07-19 14:22:15  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Wow, Only one person? Maybe I should hop over to your server...
Side note, I was fishing Crocodilos earlier today. Ebisu Rod, 98 Skill +3 in gear. Of the 4 I fished up, I lost 3 due to "lack of skill". What level is this fish o.o
Croco's are notorious about lack of skill, your not the only one out there :P
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-19 14:24:31  
Bleh. Maybe I'll just go and buy the ring it drops.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-07-19 14:27:01  
Also, your getting lack of skill's while having 147 fishing skill. I would say that they are close to level 160 to 180.

But lack of skill doesn't always mean the fish is higher level than you, I've had plenty where I'm way over their level.
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-19 14:29:13  
This is honestly the first time I've seen the message since I got my Lu Shang's around level 25-30, and I was doing nashmau fish since about 40
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-07-19 15:01:36  
These are all fish that sell fast, and will make you lots of money on your way up the fishing ladder.

0-11: Moat Carp (Windurst Woods - Insect Paste)

11-27: Nebimonite (Sea Serpent Grotto - Shrimp Lure)
cancel all Grimmonite and Bastore Bream bites unless u have a shang

27-55: Cone Calamary and Bluetail (Qufim Island NW - Minnow)
cancel all Gigant Squid bites unless u have a shang

At this point you will NEED a Lu Shang's Fishing rod to progress on any fish that are worth selling at the AH

*Optional* 55-66: Noble Lady (Mhaura/Selbina Ferry - Shrimp Lure)
Do this only if you don't mind fishing on the boat. Personally I'm not a big fan due to the mandatory downtime every 15 mins when the boat docks. You'll catch lots of Nebimonites doing this route tho, and they sell nicely.

55-86(90): Bastore Bream and Grimmonite (Sea Serpent Grotto - Shrimp Lure)
Skillups will be slow during this period because you will be catching a LOT of nebimonites. However, you'll also be making a LOT of money off those nebimonites, so unless you're in a major hurry to hit 100 it's best to just ride it out and enjoy the easy income - you can actually ride out this spot to 90 off grimms, but bream will cap you at 86 and by the time you hit 86, you'll probably be ready to leave

*Optional* 86-91: Gigant Squid (Qufim Island NW - Minnow)
You can actually go to this spot anywhere from 55-91 if you're getting tired of SSG and want to change things up. Again, skillups are slow due to the amount of bites from cone calamary and bluetail, but all 3 fish sell well, and fast

86-96: Black Sole (Qufim Island S - Sinking Minnow)
For me, the bite rate started to slow down quite a bit at this range. In SSG I could catch 200 fish in a little over 2 hours. At this spot, it took closer to 5 hours to catch 200 fish. Skillups were still pretty good tho. This level range only took me a few days

*Optional* 55-96: Mercanbaligi, Ahtapot, and Dil (Talacca Cove - Shrimp Lure)
If you're not as concerned with money, this is a great location. Each fish you catch here is the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Bream, Grimmonites, and Black sole all in one convenient location. Dil sell decently fast on the AH, but the other 2 are npc fodder.

96-100: This is where a lot of options open up.

99: Pterygotus (Nashmau - Sinking Minnow)
You can use lugworms here as well so that only Pterygotus bite your line, but you'll need to bring a ton with you since you'll lose a lot to canceled bites due to rusty items. If you use Sinking Minnow instead, you're going to get a lot of Istakoz and Mercanbaligi bites that you'll have to cancel. However, Pterygotus will not break a Lu Shang's rod and is a safe option to get to 99. One benefit to fishing Pterygotus is that there is a vendor just a few steps from the pier that you can unload all your fish on (they're not worth selling at the AH)

100: Armored Pisces (Oldton Movalpolos - Sinking Minnow)
This is another fish that is perfectly safe to use a Lu Shang's rod on. The bite rate is decent, and despite having a lot of stamina, they are fairly easy to reel in. Personally I'd just skip Pterygotus altogether and fish Armored Pisces instead. The main reason being Armored Pisces is the ONLY fish that will bite on a Sinking Minnow at this location, meaning less canceled bites. Plus, it'll take you all the way to 100 whereas Pterygotus stop at 99.

100: Gugrusaurus and Lik
If you never intend to acquire an Ebisu fishing rod, then it's best to just stick with the 2 options above. However, if you're planning to go the distance, you're going to likely be catching a LOT of these fish. You might as well be skilling up those final 4 levels while you're doing it.

These fish have the downside that they will snap a Lu Shang's rod. Personally, I feel that having woodworking 72+ will be mandatory if you take this route so that you can repair your rod yourself. However, I've heard of people tackling these fish with a Lu Shang's rod by having a WW friend repair the rod for them, or even doing the quest in Rabao.

This is where I'm currently stuck - level 96 fishing, with a 63.5 woodworking skill. Once my WW gets up to 72 it's full-steam-ahead on Lik and Gugru
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-07-19 15:08:19  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Bleh. Maybe I'll just go and buy the ring it drops.
Just stick with it. I fished them up with a Lu Shang's rod and it took me over 100 fish to get mine. But, then this happened:

(sorry for the size of the image)
 Seraph.Gilhaven
サーバ: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-07-19 17:12:49  
Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Cerberus.Hiryo said:
Im seriously considering getting myself one of these, is there any really good guides for fishing? I know you can go to nash and get to like 80 or so etc

I did mine a lazy way took awhile but.

0>10 Moat Carp 10>50 Shall Shells 50>96 Black soles takes awhile but fishing to cap daily you could easily get 4-6 fishing skills a day

I'm presuming this is with a lu shang/ebisu? Atm im lucky to get 1.5-2 /day and thats for an 8 hr run using halycon/composite depending on the fish.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2011-07-19 17:18:50  
Cerberus.Kaht said:
These are all fish that sell fast, and will make you lots of money on your way up the fishing ladder.

0-11: Moat Carp (Windurst Woods - Insect Paste)

11-27: Nebimonite (Sea Serpent Grotto - Shrimp Lure)
cancel all Grimmonite and Bastore Bream bites unless u have a shang

27-55: Cone Calamary and Bluetail (Qufim Island NW - Minnow)
cancel all Gigant Squid bites unless u have a shang

At this point you will NEED a Lu Shang's Fishing rod to progress on any fish that are worth selling at the AH

Do this only if you don't mind fishing on the boat. Personally I'm not a big fan due to the mandatory downtime every 15 mins when the boat docks. You'll catch lots of Nebimonites doing this route tho, and they sell nicely.

Skillups will be slow during this period because you will be catching a LOT of nebimonites. However, you'll also be making a LOT of money off those nebimonites, so unless you're in a major hurry to hit 100 it's best to just ride it out and enjoy the easy income - you can actually ride out this spot to 90 off grimms, but bream will cap you at 86 and by the time you hit 86, you'll probably be ready to leave

*Optional* 86-91: Gigant Squid (Qufim Island NW - Minnow)
You can actually go to this spot anywhere from 55-91 if you're getting tired of SSG and want to change things up. Again, skillups are slow due to the amount of bites from cone calamary and bluetail, but all 3 fish sell well, and fast

86-96: Black Sole (Qufim Island S - Sinking Minnow)
For me, the bite rate started to slow down quite a bit at this range. In SSG I could catch 200 fish in a little over 2 hours. At this spot, it took closer to 5 hours to catch 200 fish. Skillups were still pretty good tho. This level range only took me a few days

*Optional* 55-96: Mercanbaligi, Ahtapot, and Dil (Talacca Cove - Shrimp Lure)
If you're not as concerned with money, this is a great location. Each fish you catch here is the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Bream, Grimmonites, and Black sole all in one convenient location. Dil sell decently fast on the AH, but the other 2 are npc fodder.

You can use lugworms here as well so that only Pterygotus bite your line, but you'll need to bring a ton with you since you'll lose a lot to canceled bites due to rusty items. If you use Sinking Minnow instead, you're going to get a lot of Istakoz and Mercanbaligi bites that you'll have to cancel. However, Pterygotus will not break a Lu Shang's rod and is a safe option to get to 99. One benefit to fishing Pterygotus is that there is a vendor just a few steps from the pier that you can unload all your fish on (they're not worth selling at the AH)

This is another fish that is perfectly safe to use a Lu Shang's rod on. The bite rate is decent, and despite having a lot of stamina, they are fairly easy to reel in. Personally I'd just skip Pterygotus altogether and fish Armored Pisces instead. The main reason being Armored Pisces is the ONLY fish that will bite on a Sinking Minnow at this location, meaning less canceled bites. Plus, it'll take you all the way to 100 whereas Pterygotus stop at 99.

If you never intend to acquire an Ebisu fishing rod, then it's best to just stick with the 2 options above. However, if you're planning to go the distance, you're going to likely be catching a LOT of these fish. You might as well be skilling up those final 4 levels while you're doing it.

These fish have the downside that they will snap a Lu Shang's rod. Personally, I feel that having woodworking 72+ will be mandatory if you take this route so that you can repair your rod yourself. However, I've heard of people tackling these fish with a Lu Shang's rod by having a WW friend repair the rod for them, or even doing the quest in Rabao.

This is where I'm currently stuck - level 96 fishing, with a 63.5 woodworking skill. Once my WW gets up to 72 it's full-steam-ahead on Lik and Gugru

Wow. Amazing, thanks!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-07-19 17:34:43  
Cerberus.Kaht said:

I wouldn't go as far as to tell people that you "NEED" a lu shang yet. Yes, it is nice but when I was leveling fishing years ago (still using the new fishing system) a Halcyon worked just fine. It is still one of my favorite fishing rods to this day... I guess it has a bit to how much I used it, it is an amazing fishing rod when you carry 2-3 of them. It broke sometimes but it is an amazing alternative to people not ready to make the investment or still working on the quest bit by bit. I have made two Lu shang rods and done the ebisu quest and know all about the best of the best, but when it comes to the ones that have a slight risk, halcyon does great even with the potential to break. It reeled in fish just fine :)

Cerberus.Kaht said:

About Gugrusaurus and Lik: I personally did the Ebisu quest without woodworking, it just takes a bit of determination. If you go for these fish without woodworking then it is in your best interest to do the quest so you don't ever have to get your rod fixed again (greatest feeling knowing it can't break while you fish the big ones).

With that said, you didn't mention Hakuryu. These fish are quite the money maker, NPC'ing for 10.5k gil each fish. These won't sell as much as your 15-30k Gug/Lik but it is a reliable seller always there to give you your gil with no competition.
 Leviathan.Powerslave
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2011-07-19 17:58:54  
I'd go with the dil/mercanbaligi option in Talacca cove.

The skill-ups aren't as frequent, but you can fish to cap while getting decent skill-ups, plus your haul should npc for a minimum of 120-130k. A good option if you're seeking a good all-around method.

32k more gp to ebisu D;
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-07-19 18:17:23  
If your going to be serious about fishing, lu shang is a must
 Cerberus.Hiryo
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2011-07-19 18:32:19  
Fishing in Nash atm, with a Haly rod, skill level 9! XD Pretty good skill ups atm as well
 Bismarck.Altar
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-20 10:05:34  
1/27 on Puffin Ring. Was on my very last crocodilos too. Same thing happened with my Gugrus when I was working on Ebisu o.o
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-07-20 10:51:57  
Siren.Kalilla said:
Cerberus.Kaht said:

I wouldn't go as far as to tell people that you "NEED" a lu shang yet. Yes, it is nice but when I was leveling fishing years ago (still using the new fishing system) a Halcyon worked just fine. It is still one of my favorite fishing rods to this day... I guess it has a bit to how much I used it, it is an amazing fishing rod when you carry 2-3 of them. It broke sometimes but it is an amazing alternative to people not ready to make the investment or still working on the quest bit by bit. I have made two Lu shang rods and done the ebisu quest and know all about the best of the best, but when it comes to the ones that have a slight risk, halcyon does great even with the potential to break. It reeled in fish just fine :)

I guess I should clarify. In my list above, no fish below the 55 marker will break a halcyon rod. Once you begin fishing noble ladies or bastore bream/grimmonites, a lu shang's rod will be necessary to fish w/o fear of breaking your rod. I'm sure it's possible to fish up a few bream or noble ladies with a halcyon rod before getting a break. But, that's not personally something I'd want to mess with. I finished my Lu Shang's rod on my first character back in 2004, and it's broken maybe 3 times ever. For me, breaking a rod is a big deterrent that just takes time away from skill/money that you'd be making if you would have made if you didn't have to find someone to repair your rod.

With that said, if you've got sufficient woodworking or alchemy to repair whichever rod you're using, then I guess obtaining a lu shang's rod isn't necessary at 55. However, you ARE going to get rod breaks from that point forward if you don't have a lu shang's. Plus, all the other benefits of the shang make it a goal that you should strive to obtain at some point if you plan to continue fishing to the higher levels.

If you're going to need it eventually anyway, you may as well set your goal to have it obtained by level 55.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-07-20 10:56:30  
Siren.Kalilla said:
With that said, you didn't mention Hakuryu. These fish are quite the money maker, NPC'ing for 10.5k gil each fish. These won't sell as much as your 15-30k Gug/Lik but it is a reliable seller always there to give you your gil with no competition.

The list was intended to be a guide for fish to target on the road to 100. From what I've read on BG, hakuryu are pretty vicious about snapping lu shang's rods, and for that reason an ebisu is almost necessary.

I admit that I haven't completed an ebisu rod, but I'm going to guess that the majority of people that fish up their liks/gugrus will finish most of their progress from 96-100 before their ebisu is done. Hopefully I'll be an exception to that rule tho. I'd love to get the KI w/in the first 100 fish or so :)
 Ragnarok.Stiel
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Stiel
By Ragnarok.Stiel 2011-07-22 10:24:40  
@fearforever lol sorry,i am italian,i know my english pretty suck XD
though,it's not an hidden effect,normal rods just can be broken or line breaked because they are weak rods,lu shang is just too good and too strong,and can't be breaked or line breaked at all,from any fish up to 99 skill fish. apologies again for my bad english ><
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-23 05:09:52  
quick note from skill level sub 20 you can also do forest and moatcarps in the jungle, just nw form the telepoint

its faster getting your 200carps fish for the day up there than in e.g.g kinghtswell you get about 50% more bits per catches

and both carps can be used for the lu-shagn rod

her are some numbers of jungle vs kinghtswell

yhot - insect ball
200/268 F&M
200/283 F&M

yhot - little worms
105/155 F&M

knightwell - little worms
200/406 M
77/153 M

knightwell - insect ball
58/106 M