フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Moonshade Earring
Moonshade Earring
First Page 2
 Sylph.Elgorian
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2011-07-08 17:24:57  
Just wondering what the best combo on this would be for Monk and if it would be worth full-timing (replacing Aesir Ear Pendant) for TPing? Or if I would be better off augmenting it for another job.

However I was thinking... ATK+4 Counter+3, and using it over Aesir? Comments?
 Bahamut.Kazius
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kazius 2011-07-08 17:26:33  
Most people choose to go with attack and regain.
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-07-08 17:27:48  
The counter is nice but I ended up doing additional dmg depending on tp and the acc one did it for dnc and been too lazy to redo it. But the additional dmg is nice when it procs
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-08 17:40:41  
TP Bonus is a common choice for jobs like SAM or Caladbolg DRKs. It's also decent for crit jobs since they can probably expect a ~1% critrate increase from the additional TP. Regain is ok in that it helps with x-hit builds, not good for DW jobs because of Suppa/Brutal obviously and MNK benefits more from Counter+3 so I really don't feel like regain is a strong choice here. If you're just looking at it for MNK, I'd probably go with attack/counter.

Additional damage depending on TP is extremely lackluster, I don't recommend it at all.
[+]
 Odin.Skeero
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2011-07-08 17:44:12  
^
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-08 17:48:04  
Quote:
If you're just looking at it for MNK, I'd probably go with attack/counter.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: mdkuser
By Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser 2011-07-09 13:20:33  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
TP Bonus is a common choice for jobs like SAM or Caladbolg DRKs. It's also decent for crit jobs since they can probably expect a ~1% critrate increase from the additional TP. Regain is ok in that it helps with x-hit builds, not good for DW jobs because of Suppa/Brutal obviously and MNK benefits more from Counter+3 so I really don't feel like regain is a strong choice here. If you're just looking at it for MNK, I'd probably go with attack/counter.

Additional damage depending on TP is extremely lackluster, I don't recommend it at all.

TL;DR: counter+3 earring is bad for monk, because counter damage is a neglectible part of your damage( aesir is better..). The best moonshade is regain+1 and attack.

Attack+4 regain+1 is the best TP moonshade earring for mnk, and much better than counter, I have no idea why people think counter+3 earring is any good. Counter is a neglectible part of your damage, especially in abyssea where you do so many attacks per round, compared to your opponents.

I assume AF2 feet and counter merits are a given. Going by wiki's number, which are probably inferior to reality but it's a baseline: 60% base counter rate. Add 3% and you get 63%. 63/60=+5%. So counter +3 will increase your counter damage by about 5%. But since your counter damage is a small part of the (melee) damage, say 5%, this amounts to, at best 0.05*1.05=5.25% so counter +3 is +0.25% melee damage...lol. The extra 3 attack on aesor earring definately beats that.

You don't need to be a maths major to imagine that needing ~96-97% TP to WS, instead of 100, is a bigger boost. The exact effect of regain is complicated to evaluate exactly, but heuristically, starting from 10 TP return on VS, if you get 3 regain tics, thats 90/87=+3.5% WS frequency boost. Those extra tics will not be usefull all the time due to over tp ( you never tp at 100 because of high multi hit rate, esp. abyssea). Basically, the regain tics will be usefull in the cases where you would be stuck at 97,98 or 99% w/o it. Say that it happends only 1/3 of the time, you still get ~+1% WS frequency boost, which largely beats counter+3's +0.25% to melee damage.

That said this argument is only valid for mnk, as you said, since dualwielder use suppa/brutal and 1 hander need much more TP than 3-4 to make a difference on their X-hit build.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-09 13:29:37  
I was also looking at it from a defensive standpoint; the ear is an extremely efficient slot to add Counter in. Considering that the difference between an attack/regain Moonshade Earring and an Aesir Ear Pendant is less than 0.05%, it makes far more sense to opt for the counter earring.
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-09 13:36:49  
Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser said:
Counter Damage
Someone shut the window, the breeze, it's chilling
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-07-09 13:42:39  
From the perspective of having a use for different jobs, the TP-bonus option seems attractive.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-09 13:44:28  
Siren.Kyte said:
From the perspective of having a use for different jobs, the TP-bonus option seems attractive.
If you play drk or sam more often than any job with a crit-based main weaponskill, sure. Otherwise all you're doing is adding ~2% critical hit rate to your already disturbingly high critical hit rate on your weaponskills, which is the case of mnk.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
サーバ: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-07-09 13:51:59  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I was also looking at it from a defensive standpoint; the ear is an extremely efficient slot to add Counter in. Considering that the difference between an attack/regain Moonshade Earring and an Aesir Ear Pendant is less than 0.05%, it makes far more sense to opt for the counter earring.

Nope it doesn't make more sense. You get regain 100% of the time even when holding TP, turning your back until stuff procs, and any defensive argument is invalid in abyssea (cure VI) and outside ( farming EP mobs in dumbamis ?). In case you need defense it's MUCH better to use an evasion earring paired with full usu and other evasion gear. Adding a small chance to counter really serves no purpose when it will only be useful when it finally procs as opposed to regain keeping your TP high even when you are inactive which is most of the time due to ashittea/dynamis mechanics.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-09 14:08:05  
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Nope it doesn't make more sense. You get regain 100% of the time even when holding TP, turning your back until stuff procs, and any defensive argument is invalid in abyssea (cure VI) and outside ( farming EP mobs in dumbamis ?). In case you need defense it's MUCH better to use an evasion earring paired with full usu and other evasion gear. Adding a small chance to counter really serves no purpose when it will only be useful when it finally procs as opposed to regain keeping your TP high even when you are inactive which is most of the time due to ashittea/dynamis mechanics.

Any break from more curing is welcome :|
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-07-09 14:17:26  
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I want to make fun of this stupidity, but I think in the new forum rules, it would qualify as "hate speech against a person with a disability".
[+]
 Cerberus.Oseryu
By Cerberus.Oseryu 2011-07-09 20:16:51  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I want to make fun of this stupidity, but I think in the new forum rules, it would qualify as "hate speech against a person with a disability".

Lmao
 Ragnarok.Appie
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-07-10 09:56:03  
Quote:
But since your counter damage is a small part of the (melee) damage, say 5%
Wut? Taken from my capped counter parse in Abyssea:

Counterrate 74,92%, no perfect counter used. Now unless I can't do math that's either 17% of my total damage or 21% when I don't include WS. Of course you probably won't be at 75-77% with normal atma's in Abyssea and no Spharai, but 70% counterrate is easily doable with perfect counter. So counter damage being only 5% from my melee damage seems a little on the low end for a questimate imo.

edit: code fails on FFXIAH :/

Also, I got regain on my earring, not sure if I should change, will wait for those supposed lolrelic buffs.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-10 10:03:56  
Depends on your buffs, but the more you're hasted, the more your dot and ws dmg are going up w/o having any affect on your counter damage because the mob is still attacking at the same speed.
 Ragnarok.Appie
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-07-10 10:10:12  
Oh yea of course, that had no haste or marches since I was solo. That enough to warrant a drop of 15ish %? I'm guessing it might, but I'm not a mathwizz.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2011-07-10 14:03:04  
Consider the fact that Appie in that test didn't use Perfect Counter. With buffs (Haste, Marches, etc.) a very small percentage of the buffing is probably covered by that Perfect Counter (as it should raise your TOTAL counter percentage). Still, with Counter +3, and Counter being probably 12-15% of total DMG, you probably should get better results from the Counter + on earring then most of the other stats.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-10 14:13:40  
Counter damage from PC actually hurts the earring though, because w/ or w/o the earring, you're taking away from potential counter procs that the earring could have assisted with.

To find the ear's worth, you'd have to split

DoT/WS/PCounter/Counter, since counter+ earring is only helping the damage from the last category there.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2011-07-10 14:29:59  
True, did forget to calculate for that
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-07-10 15:16:42  
Ragnarok.Appie said:
Oh yea of course, that had no haste or marches since I was solo. That enough to warrant a drop of 15ish %? I'm guessing it might, but I'm not a mathwizz.

5% is what we used to get /nin on salvage boss. In abyssea I don't parse because the chatlog is spammed way too much with all the DA/TA attacks. Let's say your current counter damage % is 20% of your current melee dot. With haste + 2x maches you get roughly 1.87 times more melee dot so the new ratio is 0.2/1.87= 10.7%. If you consider that the TP/WS split is 50%/50% (it's not the case for you since you don't use VS) the new split is 10.2/2=5.3%.

So if you used verethragna with the same counter rate & haste & 2x marches :
Total counter damage would be 5.3% of your total non counter damage.
Total counter damage would be 5.3/(100+5.3)=5% of your total damage.

5% now mathematically proven with your parse.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-10 15:46:05  
I thought you didn't like brds though, lol
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-07-11 11:48:45  
The earring also suck when you don't have bard. Merman is more attack and moar counter unless you don't evade ***in which case regain/att 4 is more damage. So we are back to

counter3/attack4 is better only where you care about defense on mobs that you can't evade. And in that case it cuts your damage on 100% of your attacks and nullifies 3% of hits recieved. Obiviously not very useful unless you can cap counter and the mob is really a pain ( => /nin ). Is there anything like this ?
 Siren.Mallicard
サーバ: Siren
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-07-11 12:13:32  
I have wondered about the occ. grains damage bonus based on TP bonus 5% effect. What exactly does that do? Can it apply to WS that do not have a varies based on TP? An example would be sidewinder, using this bonus would give a 5% chance that the damage is increased based on TP?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-07-11 12:22:32  
What the hell do they put into the water supply in France? Don't have to be a math wizard to see that a regain earring isn't much of an increase over anything else you can wear in the slot.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: mdkuser
By Quetzalcoatl.Mdkuser 2011-07-12 10:03:58  
Ragnarok.Appie said:

Counterrate 74,92%, no perfect counter used. Now unless I can't do math that's either 17% of my total damage or 21% when I don't include WS. Of course you probably won't be at 75-77% with normal atma's in Abyssea and no Spharai, but 70% counterrate is easily doable with perfect counter. So counter damage being only 5% from my melee damage seems a little on the low end for a questimate imo.

edit: code fails on FFXIAH :/

Also, I got regain on my earring, not sure if I should change, will wait for those supposed lolrelic buffs.

counter damage is affected by so many thing, that normaly have nothing to do with player's gear, the 5% is a baseline. Main things that affect it is mob's accuracy and mob's attack delay/ multi-attack rate. The more buffed the player and the more debuffed the mob ( perfect situation) the least counter.

Anyway here are two exemples I did yesterday: I did gamayun > maere, both mobs havign a very high triple attack and/or double attack rate ( apparently). On gamayun I countered maybe 20-25% of the hits even though she has what 80%+ multi attack rate or something? yea she can't hit me I evade too much. On maere on the other hands, countered a ***tons ( 100% DA or something, caped acc).

If your going defensively an evasion earring ( novia, triton or elusive) is better most of the time (= when you can actually evade), leaving counter earring usefull for very accurate NMs ( dragua fo example?). Not a lot of NM keep caped accuracy in my half hassed full evasion gear (~+110 eva iirc), cirein coin, cerberus NM, hydra etc, most seal and jewel NMs are largely below 50% hit rate. Dragua, ulhadshi were still hit me fine but on these mobs for example, most the dmg come from spells or TP moves anyway .
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2011-07-13 16:38:19  
Alternatively: MAB+4, TP Bonus +25 for Cataclysm/Aeolian Edge builds.
 Carbuncle.Funsam
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: funsam
By Carbuncle.Funsam 2011-07-14 09:31:49  
Everyone seems to be concentrating on counter % dmg of total. but also remember every counter is a hit less u taken, so less healing more survivability.

ps other slot i would do acc+4. can easily then change another piece of gear from acc to attack for a better increase than u would get from earring.
First Page 2