users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » BLM AoE Burn Locations
BLM AoE Burn Locations
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-07-05 09:56:01  
So I've been working for a while now to get my BLM to the point where I can AoE burn solo; no pullers, no healers, just me, /rdm buffs, -aga spells, manafont and sleepga. Obviously i'll need ppl to build lights for me but still!

Though i should try my first attempt at other well known Fell Cleave locations, I would like to try it out on Konschtat Highlands[A], since I want dark rings and a refresh wivre hairpin. Does anyone know which mobs i should try out in Aby-Konsctat?

TL;DR anyone know of a camp for an AoE burning BLM in Aby-Konschtat?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-07-05 17:01:40  
I was thinking Lizards as well, even though I am a Tarutaru so i can always attempt to do 2 at a time until i get better at it. I would have to go BLM/WHM to do Cataclysm, and I would much rather Sleepga Nuke as a personal playstyle preference.

blm/sch for movement? i have no clue how that works but yeah, we will see how well it works. thanks a bunch!
 Bismarck.Faelar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-07-05 17:03:08  
Phoenix.Kingofgeeks said:
blm/sch for movement? i have no clue how that works but yeah, we will see how well it works. thanks a bunch!

Desert Boots + Windstorm.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-05 17:04:40  
Lizards are rough. They don't link or agro. In Abyssea, it basically comes down to "will this link or agro?" followed by, "Can I use Phalanx to get hit for 0?"

I'd recommend leeches or tonberries in Konschtat, because they link or agro. Konschtat is kind of a hard zone to AoE.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-07-05 17:04:43  
Bismarck.Faelar said:

Desert Boots + sandstorm.
ftfy
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-07-05 17:04:57  
Bismarck.Faelar said:

Desert Boots + Sandstorm.
ftfy

edit: :(
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2011-07-05 17:09:16  
Worms in Attowah or Uleg are good manaburn targets for BLMs. Firaja > Sleepga > Aeroja (Waterga if only 2 in range) will kill any worms in the AoE range. With a good moon phase I can one-shot singles w/ Blizzard 5. Between ISL's, Temp items, Aspir 1/2, and the martello in Uleg right there, you usually don't run into an MP problem unless you are pushing pretty hard.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-07-05 17:12:45  
As an avid user of spellcast, I recommend you not use spellcast when aoe cleaving. It's better to time when to equip PDT and nuking gear yourself rather than have spellcast do it for you, otherwise you might find yourself eating the dirt. (Not sure if you use spellcast or not, but I know many people do.)
 Odin.Headstrong
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Headstrong 2011-07-05 17:13:11  
When i farmed for rings/hairpin i tried about every mob in Konschtat and they were all kinda bleh for blm aoe burning tbh 3:
Lizards aren't bad but if i remember good they don't link, so getting more than 2-3 is a pain. I spent a lot of time at shrooms, but mainly because their drops were good money back then. Shrooms link and it's easy to gather 4-5 and nuke them down, but i never got many/good gold chests of them so idk D:
Flans are cool to snipe with no downtime, but chests were bleh from them.
My best results with rings came from bugards and wivre, just getting 2-3 or snipe single ones was easier for me than large groups <.<
Ended up getting my hairpin of a Pavan kill D:
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-05 17:13:21  
Only came in here because the date tag read "-1 years 12 months" and I was wondering what the *** /

Bismarck.Faelar said:

Desert Boots + Windstorm.
I don't know much about 76+ BLM, but don't AF3 feet have to remain equipped for the Manawall enhancement to take effect? Seems like you'd be far better off using ASA legs with Movement speed+8%/PDT-4%.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-05 17:14:10  
Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
As an avid user of spellcast, I recommend you not use spellcast when aoe cleaving. It's better to time when to equip PDT and nuking gear yourself rather than have spellcast do it for you, otherwise you might find yourself eating the dirt. (Not sure if you use spellcast or not, but I know many people do.)
Could you give an example of such a situation that can't be handled by good code?
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-07-05 17:25:12  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Could you give an example of such a situation that can't be handled by good code?

Well if you code it to equip for spells at pre-determined seconds after you begin casting, you could easily bypass any problems. But if say, you're telling it to equip nuke set midcast and PDT set aftercast, with how fast spells go off now, you usually spend like 3-4 crucial seconds in nuking gear. With like 20-30 mobs hitting you that could be pretty detrimental.

Maybe I just need to adjust my shitty BLM xml though.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-07-05 17:31:30  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I don't know much about 76+ BLM, but don't AF3 feet have to remain equipped for the Manawall enhancement to take effect? Seems like you'd be far better off using ASA legs with Movement speed+8%/PDT-4%.

Yes, the minute they're taken off you lose the enhancement.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-05 17:42:13  
Midcastdelay can be adjusted for specific spells in a few ways. For BLM, I'd probably do something like the following (warning: potential pseudocode ahead):
Code
<if subjob="RDM">
<if skill="Elemental Magic"> <!-- to cover elemental celerity -->
<if CastTimeGT="10"><action type="midcastdelay" delay="5" /></if>
<elseif CastTimeGT="9"><action type="midcastdelay" delay="4.5" /></elseif>
etc
</if>
<else><if CastTimeGT="10"><action type="midcastdelay" delay="7.5" /></if> <!-- etc, this is for all your non-Ele Celerity stuff --></else>
<elseif subjob="SCH">...</elseif>
<else>...</else>

You could further expand it for with/without precast gear (if you're focused on PDT you probably don't want to precast FC gear for risk of taking damage), different precast gear (Magian staves), SCH buffs, etc. It's a bit bulky if you're trying to cover every case, but completely doable and largely copy/paste with only the casttime and midcastdelay values changed.

EDIT: I'm sure you're aware of this, but aftercastdelay still processes 1.5 seconds after the base casting time of your spell, and I'm not aware of any way to reduce this value. You can either handle this with a manual macro, or you can do this:

<action type="command" when="midcast">wait 1; sc equip idle</action>

Set wait time to taste, but you get the idea. Replace idle with whatever your idle set is, or the variable name (with $ in front of it of course) of what you use to call your chosen aftercast set if you prefer to go that route.
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-07-06 07:27:12  
spellcast is very tempting but yeah, i don't want to use it since i want more personal skill than relying on a spellcast. Don't get it twisted though! i have absolutely no problem with people using spellcast, its just not for me.

I think i will just stick with my af3+1 feet for the manawall but THANK YOU so much for the dessert boots idea. i never knew that combo existed for blm :-P

Yeah i might just practice in another zone with a more proper mob for blm aoe burning. I still have to come back because i do want the hairpin and the dark rings, for I do not rely on anyone except myself at times.

also, no way in hell i'm ever gonna try ASA again. too many level 90 noobs out there :-P
 Leviathan.Joyroth
By Leviathan.Joyroth 2011-07-06 07:41:19  
Well farming Dark Rings as BLM, I found it easy to have just build up my Nukes and one shot puddings and once and awhile I will take two to three out at once with an Firaja and an aga III. It is not as fast as BLU with Slugs. But it is also the main way I farm time for LS events.
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-07-07 11:39:54  
Weird, i got my Desert Boots last night and casted Sandstorm and i didn't notice myself going any faster... weird. Anyways yeah, i can one shot flans in Konschtat, so if anything i can do that for a bit and see where it takes me :-D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-07-07 11:51:42  
I solo farmed dark rings in Tahrongi Canyon after lights are built. I just go to bats, Mana wall, and aga the crap out of them. Do like 2-4 at a time. Or, get a thf to grab like 6-8 of them, use AOE WS's to get hate, then Mana wall aga~
 Valefor.Caelir
サーバ: Valefor
user: Caelir
By Valefor.Caelir 2011-07-07 11:56:02  
lol dark rings in tahrongi?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-07 12:05:12  
spellcast is very tempting but yeah, i don't want to use it since i want more personal skill than relying on a spellcast. Don't get it twisted though! i have absolutely no problem with people using spellcast, its just not for me.
Contrary to popular belief, Spellcast does not play the game for you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-07-07 12:06:03  
Night~ I sent you that link in PMs sweetie =) thank u again for the help :)
By SilverTalon 2011-07-07 12:18:36  
Would assume Lt meant Mab rings :) I'm a huge fan of AoE killing things on blm, especially for magian trials. Mandies work really well, as do worms, though it takes more work to pull mandies solo. Even without Manawall, can get 8-10 mandies with stoneskin, Phalanx, protect 2 and -pdt set
By Drjones 2011-07-08 11:57:23  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Contrary to popular belief, Spellcast does not play the game for you.
On the other hand, spellcast switching you out of PDT gear when you don't want it to is a valid concern, since most people don't bother to include overly labyrinthine rules in their XML to deal with the issue. You can make it work, don't get me wrong, but most people aren't going to be bothered adding that layer of logic to a XML file that already looks extremely foreign to them.

More on topic: I've seen a guy tackle hordes of Taurus mobs near that one flux. It was pretty impressive.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-07-08 12:17:33  
I do this for merits/cruor sometimes using the crabs in Abyssea - Grauberg. You can do the Ops too, since the NPC is nearby @ Conflux #4.

I use BLM/SCH. ManaWall, Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Blink, Sandstorm/Desert Boots.
Aggro pull a few crabs, run someplace away from aggro/links, and cast Sleepga on them. Re-buff as needed, then cast a -Aja tier AOE nuke on them. Sleepga/Sleepga II them all, and AOE nuke them again.
Then use Alacrity >> Manifestation >> Aspir on them whenever you need a MP recharge. This technique can restore 400-600 MP depending on the number of crabs.
By doing this, you avoid needing to use Refresh Atmas, and can focus all your Atma slots on MAB/damage.
Once you get Azure light high enough to collect ISL blue boxes, you'll become even more efficient, since you'll get quicker access to ManaWall.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-08 12:23:52  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
I do this for merits/cruor sometimes using the crabs in Abyssea - Grauberg. You can do the Ops too, since the NPC is nearby @ Conflux #4.

I use BLM/SCH. ManaWall, Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Blink, Sandstorm/Desert Boots.
Aggro pull a few crabs, run someplace away from aggro/links, and cast Sleepga on them. Re-buff as needed, then cast a -Aja tier AOE nuke on them. Sleepga/Sleepga II them all, and AOE nuke them again.
Then use Alacrity >> Aspir on them whenever you need a MP recharge. This technique can restore 400-600 MP depending on the number of crabs.
By doing this, you avoid needing to use Refresh Atmas, and can focus all your Atma slots on MAB/damage.
Once you get Azure light high enough to collect ISL blue boxes, you'll become even more efficient, since you'll get quicker access to ManaWall.
Did you mean to say Manifestation Aspir?
By AsuraVanzan 2011-07-08 12:35:58  
I cant really help you with the AOE farming part because when I go I either do the Exoray mobs for the purple mushrooms or I crour farm switching mobs. Plus I tend to be more unlucky with timing and buffs than lucky. It goes good for a while then something resists and aquaveil goes down without me noticing it and my pooch gets screwed lol. Anyway, what I was responding for was my experiences with amber lights ratios. I notice I get more rings if I keep my amber hovering around 80-95. I start to get big boxes with KI in them after 100 and with amber capped @ 255, the only augmented items I get (mostly KI by then) are the shields. It may just be my luck or something but I try not to let my amber get above 100 if I'm farming for dark rings. I still haven't got really good dark rings but they are decent. I have to keep 2 sets because the good augments I have aren't multi purpose. One set is for -MDT and the other is for -PDT. Not sure if this helps, just thought I'd let ya know my experiences.
 Siren.Liquidsilk
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Liquidsilk 2011-07-08 12:40:17  
Just level blue mage so you can two shot 20+ mobs in one pull, blm aoe is too slow
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-07-08 14:55:34  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:

Did you mean to say Manifestation Aspir?

Whoops!
Actually I meant both Manifestation and Alacrity stacked then Aspir.
Will fix.
Thanks!
First Page 2