フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Barspell Equipment
Barspell Equipment
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Bohgo
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2011-06-22 16:48:18  
I'm trying to maximize my barspell and below is what I currently have. This set gives 152 on Lightsday, 151 on all others, and +25 Magic Defense Bonus of the bar element. My enhancing magic is capped and have 8/8 enhancing magic merits.

Getting an Augmenting Earring and Cleric's Pantaloons +1 should put it at 154.

Is there anything else available to improve it?
[+]
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-22 18:21:46  
Mmmm, blessed briault on body slot? Or are you just hoping for set procs?
 Fenrir.Captaincrunch
By Fenrir.Captaincrunch 2011-06-22 18:23:44  
af3+2 body gives mdb+10 to barspells
[+]
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-22 18:28:56  
Ahh, part of the solace affect, never knew about that since everyone just talks about the cureskin, hehe.
 Shiva.Msthief
サーバ: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-22 20:39:19  
Yeah that's an impressive set, you probably already have it but siegel sash would be nice to have in your precast set.
By Blazed1979 2011-06-22 21:47:11  
Depending on mob and how much my tank would have in bar-element from gear, I would think blessed is still an equal option to +2 body.
20 bar can really make a difference.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 01:03:24  
Augmenting earring gives +3 enhancing magic skill.

edit: didn't see the end of your post, thats what I get for responding before I've had coffee :p
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 01:34:37  
Blazed1979 said:
Depending on mob and how much my tank would have in bar-element from gear, I would think blessed is still an equal option to +2 body.

wat

Blessed Briault and Orison Bliaud +1/2 both give MDB that aligns with the elemental of the barspell. Both of them. Blessed has no advantage over AF3 body.

That said, nothing in this game requires the resistance from AF2 legs or Augur's Gloves to get capped resistance. Use your entire AF3 set for the set proc, put AF2 legs into storage, and stick to healing in Augur's.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-23 01:38:49  
Shiva.Msthief said:
Yeah that's an impressive set, you probably already have it but siegel sash would be nice to have in your precast set.

That would porbably actually be detrimental, since barspells cast so fast, it would be swapped incorrectly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 01:43:44  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Shiva.Msthief said:

That would porbably actually be detrimental, since barspells cast so fast, it would be swapped incorrectly.

For non-element spells (i.e. barpetra) I use the sash, they are super slow to cast.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-23 01:45:02  
Bahamut.Kara said:
Shiva.Msthief said:

For non-element spells (i.e. barpetra) I use the sash, they are super slow to cast.

Which I don't think is the barspells in question.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 01:46:43  
I'm not sure I understand the point of Barpetra and the like. If you're in range of getting petrified, you're doing something wrong. If you're not casting Stona the instant you see the status-inducing ability being used, you're doing something wrong. Waiting to see if a status lands before casting the appropriate removal spell isn't the best idea.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-23 01:47:54  
Remora.Dodu said:
Blazed1979 said:

wat

Blessed Briault and Orison Bliaud +1/2 both give MDB that aligns with the elemental of the barspell. Both of them. Blessed has no advantage over AF3 body.

That said, nothing in this game requires the resistance from AF2 legs or Augur's Gloves to get capped resistance. Use your entire AF3 set for the set proc, put AF2 legs into storage, and stick to healing in Augur's.
can you explain this to me? do you mean that after some number adding more elemental resistance doesn't help, and that it can be attained without af2 legs? i've heard people say that af3+2 hands are best, but so far most people have been saying to use af2 legs.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-23 01:49:04  
Remora.Dodu said:
I'm not sure I understand the point of Barpetra and the like. If you're in range of getting petrified, you're doing something wrong. If you're not casting Stona the instant you see the status-inducing ability being used, you're doing something wrong. Waiting to see if a status lands before casting the appropriate removal spell isn't the best idea.
chainspell hate reset breakga D:
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-06-23 01:51:14  
Shiva.Msthief said:

^I've always worried about if my Beneficus is actually being applied because the spells are so fast, especially in a laggy or gear-swap heavy situation
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 01:51:16  
Bahamut.Kara said:
Shiva.Msthief said:

Which I don't think is the barspells in question.

Maybe I'm missing something but the set he has listed will still work for non-element spells. They are affected by enhancing magic skill, not sure about MDB. If he is only asking about element barspells I missed that, sorry.

Also, are non-element spells affected by MDB? I've never really thought about them being different from element barspells because they are both affected by enhancing magic skill.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 01:53:44  
Remora.Dodu said:

Barpetra works well for Dragua. He has at least a 30' range for his move (terra wing) which will petrify you. If you are duoing and the whm gets stoned, there will be problems. =/
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-06-23 01:54:54  
Capped resistance? Could you provide a source Dodu because that number keeps going up every 5 enhancing magic levels. It doesn't look capped to me.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-06-23 01:56:03  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Shiva.Msthief said:

^I've always worried about if my Beneficus is actually being applied because the spells are so fast, especially in a laggy or gear-swap heavy situation
If your using spellcast Aeronis you can add a small cast delay to allow the gear swaps to be recognized by the servers first if your worried about lag.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-06-23 02:03:27  
Also @Bohgo

The best advice that I can possibly give you is that you should try it out both ways. See if you like full +2 better over augur's + AF2 pants. People can provide all of their opinions and how the numbers break down but at the end of the day your only going to choose what you like best and that is what you should be doing.

You have basically everything you could possibly need for barspells, you can get augmenting earring but I'm not sure what enhancing magic skill your at and if it would boost you up another point or not. nvm just read the end of your post you already know.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 02:05:09  
You can't resist spells beyond 95%, and nothing requires the help from AF2 legs or Augur's Gloves.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 02:06:04  
Siren.Kalilla said:
Also @Bohgo

The best advice that I can possibly give you is that you should try it out both ways. See if you like full +2 better over augur's + AF2 pants. People can provide all of their opinions and how the numbers break down but at the end of the day your only going to choose what you like best and that is what you should be doing.

You have basically everything you could possibly need for barspells, you can get augmenting earring but I'm not sure what enhancing magic skill your at and if it would boost you up another point or not. nvm just read the end of your post you already know.

Using his "experience" is going to more than likely result in confirmation bias. Numbers aren't subject to any such bias.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 02:08:28  
Bahamut.Kara said:
Remora.Dodu said:

Barpetra works well for Dragua. He has at least a 30' range for his move (terra wing) which will petrify you. If you are duoing and the whm gets stoned, there will be problems. =/

There's never been any significant data to show that barstatus spells even do anything. Most people can't even agree on whether they help in resisting something entirely, or just reduce the duration.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 02:19:05  
Remora.Dodu said:
Bahamut.Kara said:
Remora.Dodu said:

There's never been any significant data to show that barstatus spells even do anything. Most people can't even agree on whether they help in resisting something entirely, or just reduce the duration.

In the 30+ fights I've done with Dragua I've been petrified a few times. That happened when the barpetra would be down and before I started using Horned Beast atma. Since then I've not been petrified once. Whether this will continue to be 100% for me or not remains to be seen, but it has greatly reduced me getting stoned. The petrify rate for my husband is also extremely low and usually occurs after he loses buffs from Horrid Roar.

This is my experience, you are more than welcome to take it with a grain of salt.
[+]
 Bismarck.Azagthothe
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Azagthoth
By Bismarck.Azagthothe 2011-06-23 02:39:21  
I haven't seen an official test on barstatus spells, but you'll definitely notice a difference on Dragua's en-petrify rate. It goes from 95%+ resist rate to landing quite often. I haven't recorded any numbers, but anybody that has done the fight enough can likely attest to similar findings.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend storing AF2 legs either since they're still situationally useful for helping resist status effects.

Remora.Dodu said:

I wouldn't expect anybody to be carrying a complete resistance set for every element and for every job. You aren't going to hit the cap with just barspells.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-23 03:17:28  
And elemental resistance has always been shown to work in tiers, tiers you're not likely to be missing/attaining based on two pieces of equipment.

When there's significant, non-anecdotal data to show otherwise, there will be a reason to sacrifice the increase in set proc rate. Until then, waste of inventory.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-23 03:30:27  
Remora.Dodu said:
And elemental resistance has always been shown to work in tiers, tiers you're not likely to be missing/attaining based on two pieces of equipment.

When there's significant, non-anecdotal data to show otherwise, there will be a reason to sacrifice the increase in set proc rate. Until then, waste of inventory.
if they do work in tiers, i can see how augur's wouldn't be very helpful, and many people already choose to use af3+2 hands over them. but cleric's pantaloons are a pretty big boost to barspells, and would probably still make a difference if tiered unless capped.
 Phoenix.Bohgo
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2011-06-23 03:35:03  
I haven't seen any data on the set proc. Have you seen any showing the increase in set proc rate as pieces are added?
 Bismarck.Azagthothe
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Azagthoth
By Bismarck.Azagthothe 2011-06-23 03:38:49  
The main utility you'll get out of the AF2 legs is against status effects. If you're trying to reduce the proc rate of stuff like Ice Spikes, Shock Spikes, etc, or if you want to try to negate Slowga then it's more useful. The set bonus will only negate the damage on the spike spells occasionally.

Just like many other pieces of gear in the game, it's situational.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-06-23 06:12:09  
Remora.Dodu said:

Yes, enhancing magic to elemental resistance is not a 1 to 1 ratio. However, the tier is roughly* 3 to 1. On RDM, when I go from 394 to 400 enhancing skill, earth resist goes from 123 to 125.

*the 3 to 1 is a rough estimate, from 381 to 391 enhancing magic I only go up two levels of earth resistance, 120 to 122.
First Page 2