users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Gear for low-man tanking situations
Gear for low-man tanking situations
 Fenrir.Lariel
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Lariel
By Fenrir.Lariel 2011-06-16 18:05:31  
Hi guys, just looking for some advice on a gear set for situations where I may need to tank as mnk.

Thanks!
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-06-16 18:21:15  
dual box mnk+whm i use these 2
TP

Smite
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 18:21:28  
MDT Set:

Dark Rings with -6% MDT each. Set puts you at -24% MDT, which is enough to cap assuming you've got a WHM around. MDB is +18.

I'll post more in a second.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-16 18:24:03  
Just rock your normal TP/WS sets, get a MDT set for spells, and PDT set for when you're stunned and ***. /WAR, fulltime counterstance, Gnarled Horn, Razed Ruin, Apocalypse. If you don't have Apoc, or need the HP, use Sanguine Scythe.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 18:29:09  
TP Set:

Subtle Blow is at +25, and +20 from trait. +45 total. Auspice or Conspirator would have you at cap. Otherwise you might want to fit +5 in somewhere (If you use Taurine Cesti, that would do it. Or if you don't have Epona's than Heed Ring also work to cap it without the Auspice/Conspirator.) Just aim for 50 depending on what you do.

Also, I'd think Thew Bomblet would be better than Tantra for TP considering you would be accuracy capped. If you're attack capped, than Tantra would win.

Edit: Please don't use Kemas Earring unless what you're fighting is super evasive for some reason. It really doesn't do anything for you, a Coral or Merman's Earring (which you'd have for your MDT set) would be better than it for TPing, if you can't get your hands on Aesir.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-16 18:34:50  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Just rock your normal TP/WS sets, get a MDT set for spells, and PDT set for when you're stunned and ***. /WAR, fulltime counterstance, Gnarled Horn, Razed Ruin, Apocalypse. If you don't have Apoc, or need the HP, use Sanguine Scythe.
^

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Also, I'd think Thew Bomblet would be better than Tantra for TP considering you would be accuracy capped. If you're attack capped, than Tantra would win.
If you're attack capped then you're more than likely fSTR capped, so neither would be doing much. White Tathlum is probably your best option at that point, but the question of "do I really want to pay 2.5-3mil for 2 STP for MNK or do I have better options" is definitely worth asking, though since OP also has SAM (hihi Lariel, long time no see) it may be worth picking up regardless.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 18:39:44  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If you're attack capped then you're more than likely fSTR capped, so neither would be doing much. White Tathlum is probably your best option at that point, but the question of "do I really want to pay 2.5-3mil for 2 STP for MNK or do I have better options" is definitely worth asking, though since OP also has SAM (hihi Lariel, long time no see) it may be worth picking up regardless.

That's true, odd that I would have forgotten entirely about fSTR being capped, as I usually always stressed it's importance for outside scenarios. Regardless, I'd probably still use Tantra out of pure laziness. Some NMs do require accuracy anyway, Ulhuadsi comes to mind with the lowered stats. And accuracy will be nice post-abyssea if they do ever release events where we stop being god mode besides Voidwatch.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-16 18:41:48  
My mdt set, working on d ring atm just 4 manned straight tanked ks99, behemoth then kb too not as mnk had a pld doing that I was blm. But yea the mdb ammo piece is nice I got 6/8 sachets all but light/dark ones I usually make quick macro swap to w/e sachet is best for w/e mob, jormy > snow, turul > thunder/wind etc. Hardly ever procs but sometimes does 2-3 times a fight like earth sachet for Ulhuadshi recovered hp from 3 nukes in 1 fight alone.

Eva build, mostly used when turning away from nms for slow *** ppl to proc or when terrorized/stunned. I personally dont own a pdt set just this eva set I swap to b4 Im guessing a mob will tp move, and if I can help it where counterstance is being a great help in the fight and the timer isnt up id rather leave it up and use eva build than cancel it and use pdt build.
 Fenrir.Lariel
user: Lariel
By Fenrir.Lariel 2011-06-16 20:30:33  
Thanks guys
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-16 20:58:23  
You don't have to cancel counterstance to use a PDT set. Defense doesn't really help much anyways.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 21:04:26  
PDT set:

Dark Ring with PDT-6%, Darkness Earrings with PDT-2%. Comes out to exactly -50% PDT with the above setup. If you don't have Defending/Shadow Mantle you can just use Darksteel Leggings +1 and Boxer's Mantle, but you would still be below cap.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-16 21:05:17  
Might as well use denali mitts over darksteel as well. Multipurpose.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 21:13:14  
I have whitebox syndrome. :x
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-16 21:17:08  
I know you dont have to cancel counterstance to use a pdt set and it would still help even if you leave counterstance up but I just stick with using an eva build for taking tp moves or hits ive always perferred to swap into than a pdt set. Tanking quite alot of nms predicting their tp level id swap to this build 1 attack round before. Killed like 500 ghrah for ghrah chips agroing zdel too along the way and using an eva set just before filament decay it hardly ever hit vs normal 5/5 af3 tping.

Same for most abys nms tbh painful whip grauberg zone boss hardly ever hit nor did its melee hits when turned tanking this whilst its absorbing physical dmg. Turul spikes period turn and swap to this will frequently miss swapping to mdt set and back for taking nukes to the face till spikes wear then back to af3. Kuku konst zone boss or guku wen it has its glowy eyes up eva build and turn around will hardly land a hit. And for Bennu after it terrorizes swap to this set and I usually dont take 1 hit before its worn. In all these examples ive given ive taken noticably more hits turned tanking in af3 build. I fully merrited eva after that update, so that probably helps a slight bit too. But sold parts to an old pdt set never plan on making one again soon.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-16 21:24:17  
It's easier to floor mob/NM hit rate in non-heroes zones, THF or not. MNK evasion skill is fairly high as it is, so that contributes to why you find yourself evading so much along with gear. Do you use GH atma?
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-16 21:30:12  
Varies between ss/ghorn/apoc with always razed ofc. Also sometimes if im mnk/nin to cover ninja grellow an eva set to get ichi up will always be more perferred than a pdt set, esp when turned and tanking.
 Phoenix.Amarok
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amarok 2011-06-17 07:58:18  
Ramuh.Austar said:

Yeah basically what he said, but I would say its totally worth getting Atma of the Savior if you are gonna be tanking alot. I use GH, RR and Savior fulltime now with /war, and swap in the elemental sachets to suit the mob, and its amazing how often you get cured from huge dmg spells or abilities, and of course the high resist rate on stuff like paralyse and petrify etc help also. I hated letting go of Apoc atma but it really helps you survive.

It also helps that I'm a Galka monk so I get over 4k HP with cruor buffs in heroes zones, and just over 3.6k HP in vision areas.

I dual box a pocket WHM (taru with 5/5 AF2 and capped fastcast/cure potency) and with cureskin + 80%ish counter-rate + MDT set (50% total with Shellra 5) you will rarely see me die.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-17 08:15:40  
Never understood the whole white box thing.

Gear w/ better stats always looks better than the border box to it, and besides, there's enough blue box around for white box to associated with lolgear these days (for example someone rocking full tantra+1)
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
サーバ: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-06-18 02:58:57  
full usu, earth staff, verethragna.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-18 05:49:23  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Never understood the whole white box thing.

Gear w/ better stats always looks better than the border box to it, and besides, there's enough blue box around for white box to associated with lolgear these days (for example someone rocking full tantra+1)

For sure, I don't purposely gimp myself just to use an inferior whitebox piece, I was just noting it looked nicer! Plus, I never could get myself a pair of denali wristbands so I'd have to use those anyway.

PS: Man, your avatars never stop amusing me.