フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG questions
RNG questions
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 12:46:52  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
What's the most common TP and WS arrow for RNG?

And what atma do they use mostly?

Kinda tempted to level the job and get a gandiva, but I don't know much about it and I'd like to actually learn before I level it up at all.

Also what merits? :D

If you get Gandiva you tp and ws in Antlion/Ruzsor Arrow; most likely antlion since ruzsor are a pita to make. You owe it to yourself to use the best when using a Gandiva.

Atmas vary depending on what you do, but assuming Gandiva, Razed Ruins, Sea Daughter, Voracious Violet, Gnarled Horn are the most used. Which three depends on the situation.

Merits are very simple. Cat 1 is Rapid shot 5/5 and used to be Unlimited shot 5/5, but with double shot now, it doesn't really matter. Everything else in that category sucks.

Cat 2 is 5/5 Snapshot and then w/e you want really. Stealth Shot is just a waste because of how enmity works, and it's up to you if you want 5/5 flashy shot (remember we're lvl90 atm so we're higher or as high as most stuff, and it's also only every 5 mins max) or 5/5 recycle, where this is always nice, especially with jishnu's radiance costing 3 arrows a ws. You'll spam it in abyssea with regain or 5 hit.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-06-09 12:51:02  
How come many people consider Camouflage to be garbage? Actually curious cause for the past 60 levels it really helped me a lot.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 12:53:28  
Phoenix.Sehachan said:
How come many people consider Camouflage to be garbage? Actually curious cause for the past 60 levels it really helped me a lot.

It's because of how enmity works.
 Siren.Inuyushi
サーバ: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-09 13:00:38  
What I find funny from a crafter's stand point is that Ruzsor Arrows would actually be easier for me to make than Antlion arrows. Since the supply on both of the arrows mats are low I prefer to make them myself. Antlion mats are too high of subcrafts for me to make (Bone 82 and Cloth 77 required) where as Ruzsor arrows only require bone/cloth in the 60's. Too bad it's Ruzsor Fangs and Gnat wings lol. I may skill up on those mobs though and make some side cash!
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 13:02:24  
Siren.Inuyushi said:
What I find funny from a crafter's stand point is that Ruzsor Arrows would actually be easier for me to make than Antlion arrows. Since the supply on both of the arrows mats are low I prefer to make them myself. Antlion mats are too high of subcrafts for me to make (Bone 82 and Cloth 77 required) where as Ruzsor arrows only require bone/cloth in the 60's. Too bad it's Ruzsor Fangs and Gnat wings lol. I may skill up on those mobs though and make some side cash!

Luckily at least, there's a bunch of people making antlion quivers on leviathan. Though I'd love me some ruzsor :<
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-09 13:10:14  
Yea, I team up with a bonecrafter who has a clotchcraft friend to make these arrows. I just afk in the zone while he spams them and get like 20%. I'm curious what I could sell them Ruzsor's for though. Think RNG would even notice them on the AH or would they be more bazaar material?

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 13:16:51  
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Yea, I team up with a bonecrafter who has a clotchcraft friend to make these arrows. I just afk in the zone while he spams them and get like 20%. I'm curious what I could sell them Ruzsor's for though. Think RNG would even notice them on the AH or would they be more bazaar material?

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread.

Just put 1 stack on AH and then when they sell, /tell the person (prolly a hardcore rng!) who buys them and offer to make them for them.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-09 13:19:39  
Hmmm, not a bad Idea, I'll try that one day thanks. Then you can server jump and I'll sell you 10 stacks? :P
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 13:32:28  
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Hmmm, not a bad Idea, I'll try that one day thanks. Then you can server jump and I'll sell you 10 stacks? :P

You sever jump to leviathan.
 Siren.Froggis
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2011-06-09 13:43:03  
Inuyushi,

You can just send me a /tell since I have mats for the synergy portion of recipe and have been waiting for a synergist/crafter! lol
 Cerberus.Texasprincess
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Texasprincess 2011-06-09 13:43:27  
idk i still hit 3k+ sidewinders id say average is 3.5ish but of course im using war sub... ftw!
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-09 13:44:38  
Siren.Froggis said:
Inuyushi,

You can just send me a /tell since I have mats for the synergy portion of recipe and have been waiting for a synergist/crafter! lol

Fo shizzle? I'll synergize that stuff up in a heart beat or buy it off you. We def. need to talk.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-06-09 13:45:23  
Look! I just helped you find a buyer :p
[+]
 Siren.Froggis
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2011-06-09 13:57:30  
As for original topic:

When it comes to normal exp mobs inside abyssea, /war is substantially more effective than /sam, especially if you have Gandiva (and if the mobs don't give ruby lights). On NMs in aby, /sam is by far more useful with Gandiva - being able to deal 21k dmg in less than 10s is great (JR>JR>Light 7k each).

For merits, I prefer 5/5 Camo 5/5 Rapid Rate 5/5 Snapshot 5/5 Flashy Shot.

For arrows... Antlion/Ruszor... no reason to use lower lvl arrows when the prices really aren't that significantly different while the dmg is (100+ dmg dif a shot from Demon to Ruszor in aby).

Regarding serious outside aby situations, /SAM is for the best especially with the bonuses being added/recently added to the art of skillchains and magic bursts. Less serious mobs, I could see /WAR being more useful (so long as you have enough STP to compensate in maintaining 5-hit).
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-09 14:10:26  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Look! I just helped you find a buyer :p

Haha, yup sure did!
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-06-10 08:41:03  
My only suggestion is to not go cheap on ammunition, like the other guy just said. Antlion Arrows will be the best for the cost, and they aren't that bad to get.
 Unicorn.Greever
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Greever
By Unicorn.Greever 2011-06-10 09:37:45  
anyone know what gear is required to make a 5 hit /war? i probably have all the gear, or atleast most of it...but i barely get to use rng now (atleast until i get my gandiva o.o). I believe i can make a 4 hit /sam with the current gear i have but never tried it out. Btw using vision bow atm
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-06-10 09:53:16  
Thanks guys, I started levelling it up today and I'm really enjoying it. Kinda surprised you don't see many RNG in the game lol.
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-06-13 07:18:50  
I've been messing around with RNG/WAR, and I'm starting to like it a little more, however I need some help with my set ups. Which would be better to use?

(I sadly don't have rose strap.)
4 hit build:
Or 5 hit build:
I feel like with the 4 hit I'm losing a lot of other stats to stack for the STP, I'm not sure if that would lower my damage to the point 5 hit would yield better numbers.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-13 07:45:29  
When /WAR, is'nt it actually better to use an axe or dagger + a shield for fencer?
+5% crit rate and +20 tp bonus on ws

From wiki:
Does work with ranged weapon skills as long as you are single-wielding with the main hand.
Functions normally with a shield equipped.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-06-13 07:48:53  
Axe/Shield 5 hit sounds like a winner if you can maintain the five hit.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-13 07:50:24  
Carbuncle.Shokox said:
Axe/Shield 5 hit sounds like a winner if you can maintain the five hit.

There is an STP+4 axe out now, idk how many shields RNG can use tho >_<

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/18535/carabiniers-axe
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-06-13 07:55:36  
I didn't even think about that! I don't need the STP from the staff so Axe/Shield, or Dagger/Shield would work out great. I haven't looked them up in ages don't even know what's out there lol.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-13 08:04:05  
Can probably "afford" to use the new ratk dagger with enm+5 on it, as long as you only spam coronach :P
 Fenrir.Leoheart
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-06-13 08:05:25  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Can probably "afford" to use the new ratk dagger with enm+5 on it, as long as you only spam coronach :P

is this a creeper from minecraft? lol
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-06-13 08:06:37  
Legion Scutum is really the only shield worth using for RNG, the only other shields RNG can equip are the lvl 30 Latent effect ones.

Not sure if Carabineer Dagger or Carabinier's Axe would be better...

Marksmanship Skill +5 vs STR+5 Ranged Attack+12 Enmity+4

Enmity isn't really that big of thing for me though with Coronach, I could switch out Volley Earring for Novia Earring, and still keep the 5-hit build if it was that big of a deal.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-06-13 08:08:06  
I'd probably use the dagger if I were you.
If it's a very long fight where hate might actually become an issue, you can just use something else, which would be very rarely :P
 Phoenix.Bohgo
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Bohgo
By Phoenix.Bohgo 2011-06-14 09:02:15  
Upbeat said:
I've been messing around with RNG/WAR, and I'm starting to like it a little more, however I need some help with my set ups. Which would be better to use?

If the numbers are correct in your 4-hit, I'd recommend using a Goading Belt, Sylvan Gapette +2, and Sylvan Chlamys in your tp set.
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-06-14 09:21:19  
Phoenix.Bohgo said:
If the numbers are correct in your 4-hit, I'd recommend using a Goading Belt, Sylvan Gapette +2, and Sylvan Chlamys in your tp set.
That would be better, I've just always passed Goading belt for other people.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
By macsdf1 2011-07-18 02:09:58  
Ruszors are a hell of alot harder to HQ, and also a hell of alot harder to make crafting-wise, thus they cost alot more.