users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Current Smithing Path
Current Smithing Path
 Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sammitch
By Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch 2011-06-07 16:59:45  
What is the recommended path for skilling up Smithing these days? I've been looking over the recipes and it seems like the majority is just going to be sold to NPC at a loss of at least 70%.

Is there a point to getting crafts levelled anymore?
 Phoenix.Ladyjazz
Premium
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Ladyjazz
By Phoenix.Ladyjazz 2011-06-26 01:48:21  
Smithing has been bust for a long while. I'm stuck at 94.

You might need it as a sub or to help with wood for ammo.

For sure stop at 60!
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-06-26 02:26:21  
Quetzalcoatl.Sammitch said:
What is the recommended path for skilling up Smithing these days? I've been looking over the recipes and it seems like the majority is just going to be sold to NPC at a loss of at least 70%.

Is there a point to getting crafts levelled anymore?
I leveled smithing a year or so ago, and it was still at the point where there was a massive horrible horrible stretch from about 55 to 80 where it was nothing but loss. After that you could break even or even make a slight profit if you were prepared to go ridiculously slowly waiting for ***to sell on AH.

However, after every stage I passed, SE changed something to make that stage so much easier. Dark Adaman Ingots, Durium Ingots, Adaman/Molybdenum/khroma/wootz ore availability increase changed things a lot. I'm still only just on 98 because I couldn't be bothered with that home stretch, and there's not a great deal you can do with it. Also, I think 99-100 is ridiculously hard, because it's still the same 1-2 recipes as it's always been, except that they're even less useful recipes than they were 5 years ago.
 Odin.Airius
サーバ: Odin
user: Airius
By Odin.Airius 2011-06-26 03:40:03  
I just finished 100 smithing a couple weeks ago. If you synth your own adaman ingots into sheets and then turn those into scales you can NPC them for minimal cost. I mixed those synths until caps. Also molybdenum sheets for my server npc'd for the ingot price so that made things easier when i could find them. From 92 I worked on Imperial wootz ingots and relic Steel. Relic steel gets to you 97 while the ingots to 99. That last level however I could not find anything worthwhile so I blew 1 mil on making culverin. That last level cost me more than the rest of my entire smithing career combined.