フォーラム » FFXI » General » Detailed NM Database {Do you need it?}
Detailed NM Database {Do you need it?}
First Page 2
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 18:23:53  
Well, I'm particularly pissed at wiki at the moment (as I'm sure plenty of people are), especially with a certain administrator I'll leave unnamed.

Out of being upset, I rashly claimed (to myself, of course) that I'd "start my own"... thing.

And then it dawned on me that a more detailed database on NMs would be pretty neat, with more research put into it (like figuring out Wide Scan patterns and placeholders, etc.)

I'm not going to rashly attempt to spit something out, however, and I'm well aware that that's wiki's "aim", but I'd like to hear from some of you guys (hopefully to say that "hey, dude, you're not a crazy, that'd be pretty cool!")

Any (EDIT: USEFUL) input/comments/flames?
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-04-05 18:28:57  
If you want to find out NM placeholders and widescan patterns, go camp them. Eventually you'll A) get all their drops and no longer need to camp them and B) have enough experience you won't need to have a guide to help you.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 18:30:25  
Kyaaadaa said:
If you want to find out NM placeholders and widescan patterns, go camp them. Eventually you'll A) get all their drops and no longer need to camp them and B) have enough experience you won't need to have a guide to help you.

Wow, way to miss the point.

People don't write guides for themselves, they do it for others.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-04-05 18:31:37  
lol, I assume this is coming from the NM madness thing Wiki did?
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 18:32:46  
You assumed wrong.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-05 18:41:34  
Azulmagia said:
Well, I'm particularly pissed at wiki at the moment (as I'm sure plenty of people are), especially with a certain administrator I'll leave unnamed.

PM please? I haven't heard anything of this latest bit of drama...

As far as your NM guide, I think that would be cool. A specialized NM guide can't hurt anything, and getting realistic feedback about the difficulty of NMs would be nice. 90% of the NMs level 50+ out there only have testimonials from level 75 peeps, and I know you don't always need to be 75 (or a SMN or BST) to kill a lot of these things...makes it difficult to realistically gauge the NM's difficulty without potentially eating a death.

Another cool idea I had (and this is a monstrous undertaking that I know I don't have the patience or time for) would be if someone actually highlighted the different area maps so that you could see where the different indigenous mobs are within the zone. Was searching for the trees in Jugner trying to get Puffballs for that one stupid Mhaura quest and it was such a pain in the *** searching the whole damn zone for them, even with dumpy level 8 RNG widescan.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-05 18:46:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

gl id love to see a detailed data base on NMs!!

Hope its not too much work for you
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 18:53:40  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Azulmagia said:

PM please? I haven't heard anything of this latest bit of drama...

It's a personal problem, not Wiki-wide.

Quote:
As far as your NM guide, I think that would be cool. A specialized NM guide can't hurt anything, and getting realistic feedback about the difficulty of NMs would be nice. 90% of the NMs level 50+ out there only have testimonials from level 75 peeps, and I know you don't always need to be 75 (or a SMN or BST) to kill a lot of these things...makes it difficult to realistically gauge the NM's difficulty without potentially eating a death.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm also probably not the only person who thinks that many of Wiki's contributors can be... kinda dumb.

Quote:
Another cool idea I had (and this is a monstrous undertaking that I know I don't have the patience or time for) would be if someone actually highlighted the different area maps so that you could see where the different indigenous mobs are within the zone. Was searching for the trees in Jugner trying to get Puffballs for that one stupid Mhaura quest and it was such a pain in the *** searching the whole damn zone for them, even with dumpy level 8 RNG widescan.

I know exactly what you mean, and there's actually someone who did this for Sauromugue Champaign and Meriphataud Mountains (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Meriphataud_Mountains#Regular_Monsters_Found_Here click on "Distrib.") But yeah, that would be super-huge to do.

Also, I know what quest you're talking about and I got super-frustrated with it also. Ended up camping AH for a couple weeks for a Puffball.

Now that I've finished the quest, I've gotten three to drop. If you still need one, try the Walking Trees in Jugner (S).
 Shiva.Whitejune
サーバ: Shiva
user: Whitejune
By Shiva.Whitejune 2009-04-05 18:56:35  
I would love to see a more detailed guide on NM's. Your idea to put widescan placing on it seems like a good idea to me. I have no luck getting NM's, they pretty much wont pop untill someone comes and tries. When i'm the only one killing the placeholders they're a no show. Sometimes i wonder if SE secretly changed placeholders for certain NM's or maybe the current guides aren't accurate enough. on the other side, maybe i'm just to noobish to pop NM's.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:02:34  
I dunno if I could do it all by myself is the thing. There are plenty of NMs that aren't soloable out there, and currently my only 75 is an unfinished BLU. I'm also skeptical about making it completely open like a Wiki. Maybe if I could find a small staff or something, but I dunno...
 Fairy.Leonmagnus
user: Leon
By Fairy.Leonmagnus 2009-04-05 19:14:14  
It's a good idea but I don't think you have the resources to pull it off.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-05 19:14:20  
Azulmagia said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm also probably not the only person who thinks that many of Wiki's contributors can be... kinda dumb.

It's not even the "dumb" thing (although, yes, some peeps can be pretty dumb), it's the lack of imaginiation lol. Of course you can kill the bulk of the "regular" NM's out there if you throw a 75 SAM/DNC at it, or even better, the testimonial of a full party of 75's that killed Peerifool, a level 50 something group NM in Purg. Isle. A party of 75's beat him? Holy crap, that's useful! lol (I beat him solo as like a 68 DNC, just to illustrate the ridiculousness)

Azulmagia said:
Now that I've finished the quest, I've gotten three to drop. If you still need one, try the Walking Trees in Jugner (S)

I actually got one off of the Trees in Grauberg the other day, but thanks for the tip. They weren't even listed on the "dropped from" page for the Puffball, but were listed on the mobs page as a drop.
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-04-05 19:15:08  
I've never really had any problems camping NMs using the information from the Wiki's page for the NM and/or it's talk tab. Maybe it's just me lol.
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-04-05 19:16:34  
Bojack said:
I've never really had any problems camping NMs using the information from the Wiki's page for the NM and/or it's talk tab. Maybe it's just me lol.

same here >.>
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:25:28  
Bojack said:

Doesn't mean something better can't be done. A lot of the organisation there is just a big mess, and a lot of the "lesser" NMs really don't have much information at all.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-05 19:27:38
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

id like If SE does it tho... we would get the drop from all the correct mobs and correct drop rate.

Sorry anything we do is always prone to error
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:29:57  
I'm still thinking about how drop rates would be done. The drop rate template concept on Wiki is actually really good, but constant monitoring is required for people who don't double-check what they type or just sabotage rates. Submitting drop reports might be a better idea.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 19:31:24  
You could just suck it up and deal with it :B
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:33:08  
Ludoggy said:
You could just suck it up and deal with it :B

You could make an actual contribution :B
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 19:37:21  
Azulmagia said:

Any input/comments/flames?

That was my comment for you.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:39:56  
Ludoggy said:
Azulmagia said:

Any input/comments/flames?

That was my comment for you.

Thanks? I guess?
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-04-05 19:42:08  
Azulmagia said:
Kyaaadaa said:

Um, not true. <_<
I made this guide for myself, lol and I posted it on wiki so I wouldn't lose it, and others could use it meanwhile. I'm lv 41 atm because I have A.D.D and got bored, also job was hectic.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Leathercraft_Guide_by_Galvaya
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 19:42:37  
So it has to be "useful"? The admin on wiki didn't find anything "useful" from you. You are the same as they are if you are going to be like this.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:44:02  
Galvaya said:
Azulmagia said:
Kyaaadaa said:

Um, not true. <_<
I made this guide for myself, lol and I posted it on wiki so I wouldn't lose it, and others could use it meanwhile. I'm lv 41 atm because I have A.D.D and got bored, also job was hectic.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Leathercraft_Guide_by_Galvaya

In the general sense, I obviously meant. People usually write guides based on what they ''already know''. Also, I think people don't understand that this is intended to be a ''database'', which is different from merely a ''guide''.

Ludoggy said:
So it has to be "useful"? The admin on wiki didn't find anything "useful" from you. You are the same as they are if you are going to be like this.

If you don't know the details, you shouldn't be commenting on them. Go away.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-04-05 19:46:28  
Azulmagia said:
Square-Enix said:
Atomos, Alexander, and Odin... oh my

Summoners have for a long time suspected that pacts could be formed with Atomos, Alexander, and Odin in order to summon their spirits in order to assist in battles. But the pacts had been lost to time and the ravages of the Crystal War. With new technologies allowing summoners to travel back in time, these pacts have now been discovered. Obtaining such pacts is not for the feint of heart, but the rewards will be worthwhile for those strong enough to succeed.

They didn't explicitly say "hey look new avatars" but if you ask me, this pretty close to an actual confirmation.

About having all the details....Wasn't this you?
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:48:47  
Galvaya said:
Azulmagia said:
Square-Enix said:
Atomos, Alexander, and Odin... oh my

Summoners have for a long time suspected that pacts could be formed with Atomos, Alexander, and Odin in order to summon their spirits in order to assist in battles. But the pacts had been lost to time and the ravages of the Crystal War. With new technologies allowing summoners to travel back in time, these pacts have now been discovered. Obtaining such pacts is not for the feint of heart, but the rewards will be worthwhile for those strong enough to succeed.

They didn't explicitly say "hey look new avatars" but if you ask me, this pretty close to an actual confirmation.

About details....Wasn't this you?

Your point?
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 19:48:54  
Then why don't you give out details?
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 19:49:28  
Ludoggy said:
Then why don't you give out details?

Because it is totally unrelated to the idea of starting a more detailed NM database?
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-04-05 19:50:25  
Azulmagia said:

If you don't know the details, you shouldn't be commenting on them. Go away.

Azulmagia said:

Your point?

Go away
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 19:50:42  
By you putting that teaser there everyone will be begging for more.
First Page 2