WHM DD?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM DD?
WHM DD?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-25 16:44:19  
Asura.Pergatory said:
Quote:
As to breaking an actual -50% cap on -casttime, I got nothing.
If your cures land in fast cast gear, and your macro has <wait 1>, then you're already past the -50% mark. Cures take 2.5 seconds to cast, so 1 second is -60% cast time.
I don't consider <wait> a reliable mechanism. Even Windower waits aren't 100% precise. If I had more than -57% I could give a reasonable guess, but given the specific inclusion of -casttime in the update notes it's only logical to assume it now exceeds 50%, probably capping at whatever the current Fast Cast cap is.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-05-25 16:45:04  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
I dont think mnk's should sub dnc when telling people to stick to their job.
I'm doing trials douchebag.
The logic still applies. Telling a WHM not to DD and play a different class is no different than forcing a MNK to sub warrior or ninja and telling them to level RDM or WHM if they want to heal for the sake of being self-sufficient or otherwise.
But we are not talking about being self sufficient. We are talking about playing DD on a white mage. It's a waste of space in a PT and is only an option that can be considered for solo and I would like to know if you can think of a situation besides FOV/GOV where you would solo as a white mage. Nobody is going to invite a white mage to a PT or event or what not if they say oh hey I'm not going to heal I'm going to DD. No, that's what the DD are for., your job is to heal. Just like I would not turn up on monk and tell them I will not DD I'll hang back and use /dnc to main heal. It is a complete contradiction to the purpose of white mage.
i'm sure a whm could keep up fine in an xp party in abyssea, but outside of that, it's probably better not to. it's not a waste of space, because if you can heal and still do damage, then you're helping more than if you were healing and not doing damage.

That's true, but if you were to die from an AOE for instance and nobody else had raise you're gonna be in trouble >_>
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-25 16:46:06  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
The logic still applies. Telling a WHM not to DD and play a different class is no different than forcing a MNK to sub warrior or ninja and telling them to level RDM or WHM if they want to heal for the sake of being self-sufficient or otherwise.
But we are not talking about being self sufficient. We are talking about playing DD on a white mage. It's a waste of space in a PT and is only an option that can be considered for solo and I would like to know if you can think of a situation besides FOV/GOV where you would solo as a white mage. Nobody is going to invite a white mage to a PT or event or what not if they say oh hey I'm not going to heal I'm going to DD. No, that's what the DD are for., your job is to heal. Just like I would not turn up on monk and tell them I will not DD I'll hang back and use /dnc to main heal. It is a complete contradiction to the purpose of white mage.
i'm sure a whm could keep up fine in an xp party in abyssea, but outside of that, it's probably better not to. it's not a waste of space, because if you can heal and still do damage, then you're helping more than if you were healing and not doing damage.

That's true, but if you were to die from an AOE for instance and nobody else had raise you're gonna be in trouble >_>
who dies to aoe in an xp party in abyssea?

also, espeon > all.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-25 16:46:09  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

This just in: WHM gets Reraise

..not to mention Apoc
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Rya
user: TheRya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-05-25 16:57:38  
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Asura.Pergatory said:
Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Pergatory you are completely mistaken, you can ask Terminus and around on Fenrir how much I can do outside abyssea and that was at 75, I can easily main heal and dd. Maybe it is you who is misled.
Not misled in the least, I know full well the capabilities of WHM DD outside Abyssea. Just because I discourage people from taking WHM DD seriously doesn't mean I haven't dabbled in it. Back in the 75 days, I built a solid DD set that most WHMs would kill for. Culacula, Kraken Club, Blessed hands/legs/feet +1, Lava+Kusha rings, Resilient Mantle with STR+1 Acc+2 Atk+15, etc. I tried DD on pretty much everything under the sun before I condemned it. I even developed a bit of a reputation on my server for taking apart Campaign NMs solo on WHM/NIN (again, this was at Lv75). I even tried HNM tanking with Yagrush Poisona spam before they added Divine Benison. Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively, but it will never compete with a DD of equal caliber. It's a novelty, nothing more. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you're kidding yourself if you think WHM is an awesome DD outside Abyssea. As far as DDing and healing at the same time, and idiots here spouting BS like they can heal with their eyes closed, I say this: Then you aren't healing. You're curing. There's a difference. If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong or your crew has too many healers and there's no harm in DDing it up. A WHM should be constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc. There is a lot for WHM to do. If you feel like it's easy then it's because you aren't trying. WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle. The more preoccupied you are by trying to melee, the less attention will be on those split-second decisions. I've met countless people who claim to be able to multi-task effectively like this, but every time I've watched them try to do it they fail miserably. The funny thing is, they don't even realize it, they always think they're doing fine but it's usually because the rest of the group is working 10 times harder, or I'm covering the duties they are neglecting.

Thank you. That's everything I wanted to say and more. Typing on a phone makes me lazy.

In some situations, casting 18239217 spell cycles is overkill. Especially in Abyssea where we're ridiculously buffed, sometimes you don't need to "Heal" instead of "Cure" ... other times, it's great!

But in those times where it's totally unnecessary to stress and run all about casting nonstop ... you can melee.

Lastly, I have outparsed "real DD" many times, and I promise you it was not Mjollnir. It was KC and attentiveness that ranked me high. Anyone wanting to get hardcore meleeWHM ... please get a KC, not a Mjollnir. It will (most likely) be cheaper/easier, and improve your damage output more dramatically. :)
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-05-25 17:03:19  
Asura.Pergatory said:
Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Pergatory you are completely mistaken, you can ask Terminus and around on Fenrir how much I can do outside abyssea and that was at 75, I can easily main heal and dd. Maybe it is you who is misled.
Not misled in the least, I know full well the capabilities of WHM DD outside Abyssea. Just because I discourage people from taking WHM DD seriously doesn't mean I haven't dabbled in it. Back in the 75 days, I built a solid DD set that most WHMs would kill for. Culacula, Kraken Club, Blessed hands/legs/feet +1, Lava+Kusha rings, Resilient Mantle with STR+1 Acc+2 Atk+15, etc. I tried DD on pretty much everything under the sun before I condemned it. I even developed a bit of a reputation on my server for taking apart Campaign NMs solo on WHM/NIN (again, this was at Lv75). I even tried HNM tanking with Yagrush Poisona spam before they added Divine Benison. Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively, but it will never compete with a DD of equal caliber. It's a novelty, nothing more. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you're kidding yourself if you think WHM is an awesome DD outside Abyssea. As far as DDing and healing at the same time, and idiots here spouting BS like they can heal with their eyes closed, I say this: Then you aren't healing. You're curing. There's a difference. If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong or your crew has too many healers and there's no harm in DDing it up. A WHM should be constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc. There is a lot for WHM to do. If you feel like it's easy then it's because you aren't trying. WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle. The more preoccupied you are by trying to melee, the less attention will be on those split-second decisions. I've met countless people who claim to be able to multi-task effectively like this, but every time I've watched them try to do it they fail miserably. The funny thing is, they don't even realize it, they always think they're doing fine but it's usually because the rest of the group is working 10 times harder, or I'm covering the duties they are neglecting.

The next time you feel the need to be incredibly long winded and self-aggrandizing, how about you make sure what you're saying is actually applicable. Nobody is suggesting you start wacking away at Apedemak, we're all quite clearly talking about Abyssea fodder. This is, of course, assuming you're not speaking on behalf of the actual topic, because if you're trying to attribute complexity of that degree to meriting, wow.

Moral of the story, if you're not taking out your club to participate in melee damage in the aforementioned situations, so be it, but forego the bitching. We're not off base, you're just leeching in a relatively acceptable fashion.
[+]
 Fenrir.Vazerus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2011-05-25 17:24:13  
Remora.Dodu said:
The next time you feel the need to be incredibly long winded and self-aggrandizing, how about you make sure what you're saying is actually applicable. Nobody is suggesting you start wacking away at Apedemak, we're all quite clearly talking about Abyssea fodder. This is, of course, assuming you're not speaking on behalf of the actual topic, because if you're trying to attribute complexity of that degree to meriting, wow.

Moral of the story, if you're not taking out your club to participate in melee damage in the aforementioned situations, so be it, but forego the bitching. We're not off base, you're just leeching in a relatively acceptable fashion.
Excellent post. It amazes me how much passion some of you have for belittling others, especially for something useful against fodder (new dynamis, easier abyssea nms, exp, etc).

I'll take my current white mage over you "back line all the time only" mages; at least she knows when it's more useful to contribute to overall damage than to sit back and cast "Boost-MND" over and over.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-25 18:10:40  
Wait...did someone say they used to dd back in the 75 days?!? I did but only because I had no friends and was totaly unpopular and people wanted elvan whms in their pts about as much as a quick kick in the crotch. I used to imagine headlines for the Jeuno Gazzette Obituaries

Rape in the Cape
An Elvan Whitemage of indeterminent age was found dead today in Cape Terrigan inches away from Bright Moon who claims to have seen nothing. Crime scene investigators suspect he was gang raped and beaten to death by a pack of wild bunnies hopped up on qualudes and carrot wine and joined by at least one goblin. Police have made no arrests insisting that said whm elf had no buisness being in that area in the first place and therefore must have been suffering from suicidal whm dd insanity complex. He has not been identified but he has been declaired "To Dumb To Live" and the case has been closed. His remains are scheduled to be unceremoniously burned in the trash incinerator in Garlaige Citadel.

All my whm dd dreams were systematically pummeled out of me, mostly by bunnies.
 Asura.Pergatory
サーバ: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-05-25 18:15:55  
Remora.Dodu said:
Who's the one speaking on behalf of the entire topic? Who said this topic was restricted to just talking about Abyssea exp parties? You're the one making generalizations, not me.

Who's the one belittling others?

You're the one saying things like healing and DDing at the same time is easy, how if you can't heal and DD at the same time you suck, etc.

I'm the one trying to make my point without burning the bridge:
Asura.Pergatory said:
WHM can DD
Asura.Pergatory said:
I'd encourage you to have some fun and DD from time to time in meaningless events, like Abyssea farming or Campaign.
Asura.Pergatory said:
Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively
Asura.Pergatory said:
I'm not saying don't do it

But nevermind that, you skimmed my posts so it's not your fault for lashing out I'm sure.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-25 19:49:52  
Shiva.Nikolce said:
Wait...did someone say they used to dd back in the 75 days?!? I did but only because I had no friends and was totaly unpopular and people wanted elvan whms in their pts about as much as a quick kick in the crotch. I used to imagine headlines for the Jeuno Gazzette Obituaries

Rape in the Cape
An Elvan Whitemage of indeterminent age was found dead today in Cape Terrigan inches away from Bright Moon who claims to have seen nothing. Crime scene investigators suspect he was gang raped and beaten to death by a pack of wild bunnies hopped up on qualudes and carrot wine and joined by at least one goblin. Police have made no arrests insisting that said whm elf had no buisness being in that area in the first place and therefore must have been suffering from suicidal whm dd insanity complex. He has not been identified but he has been declaired "To Dumb To Live" and the case has been closed. His remains are scheduled to be unceremoniously burned in the trash incinerator in Garlaige Citadel.

All my whm dd dreams were systematically pummeled out of me, mostly by bunnies.
did you just go around linking all the bunnies? >_>
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-05-25 20:04:32  
Asura.Pergatory said:
Remora.Dodu said:
Who's the one speaking on behalf of the entire topic? Who said this topic was restricted to just talking about Abyssea exp parties? You're the one making generalizations, not me.

Who's the one belittling others?

You're the one saying things like healing and DDing at the same time is easy, how if you can't heal and DD at the same time you suck, etc.

I'm the one trying to make my point without burning the bridge:
Asura.Pergatory said:
WHM can DD
Asura.Pergatory said:
I'd encourage you to have some fun and DD from time to time in meaningless events, like Abyssea farming or Campaign.
Asura.Pergatory said:
Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively
Asura.Pergatory said:
I'm not saying don't do it

But nevermind that, you skimmed my posts so it's not your fault for lashing out I'm sure.

Picking out the disclaimers you included to keep everyone happy simultaneously doesn't make you any less off base. You're either attributing a greatly inappropriate amount of complexity to meriting, or you started lecturing about the shortcomings of WHM DD in regard to something none of us are talking about(without indicating any transition). None of us need to reminded that we have better things to do while fighting things of significance than smacking things with a Molva Maul, and writing an epic novel vividly explaining the contents of our spell lists is hardly worth wasting our time with.

If anything, you're doing the community a disservice by referring to it as a novelty. I'm not going to pretend that it ever has been or ever will be enforced(completely unrealistic, etc), but WHMs have next to nothing to do while healing in merit parties, and participating in damage is more or less an unsolicited responsibility.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-25 20:09:34  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
did you just go around linking all the bunnies? >_>

Gilgamesh.Rya
user: TheRya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-05-25 21:38:50  
Asura.Pergatory said:
I know full well the capabilities of WHM DD outside Abyssea.
Asura.Pergatory said:
it will never compete with a DD of equal caliber.
Do you have any parses where you lost horribly?
While trying your best, pure DD?

You had a very good setup, including the most important DD item we can use (KC). Did you only ever do hybrid? Hybrid DD-WHM will never compete with a regular DD ... but pure DD-WHM can. And Izzy and I have parsed ourselves multiple times (again, it was our KC's & attentiveness, much more than our Mjo's, that allowed this) if you would like me to dig some up. :)

Asura.Pergatory said:
If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong
Asura.Pergatory said:
constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc.
Often times, it is not so dire:
1) You pro/shell/rr at the start... Haste every 3... and cure/na as needed.
2) You ignore auspice/bar/boost because you're not fighting a spammy Lv.100 NM.
3) You curebomb instead of skinra/regen, because you have infinite Boon-given MP.
4) You contribute damage, which wins the fight sooner, which is efficient.

In fact, in cases where you don't NEED to cast the other stuff (doesn't speed up kills), the only way you -CAN- speed up progress is to personally add damage! :)

Asura.Pergatory said:
WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle.
What do you fight? Seriously, lol

I love your methods, I enjoy your posts, and I agree with 99% of the stuff you say ... but holy cow, you must be an adrenaline junkie, to almost exclusively play in these extremely dire, short-handed, edge-of-your-seat situations.
[+]
 Sylph.Binckry
サーバ: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2011-05-26 08:49:28  
Gilgamesh.Rya said:

Asura.Pergatory said:
If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong
Asura.Pergatory said:
constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc.
Often times, it is not so dire:
1) You pro/shell/rr at the start... Haste every 3... and cure/na as needed.
2) You ignore auspice/bar/boost because you're not fighting a spammy Lv.100 NM.
3) You curebomb instead of skinra/regen, because you have infinite Boon-given MP.
4) You contribute damage, which wins the fight sooner, which is efficient.

In fact, in cases where you don't NEED to cast the other stuff (doesn't speed up kills), the only way you -CAN- speed up progress is to personally add damage! :)

Asura.Pergatory said:
WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle.
What do you fight? Seriously, lol

I love your methods, I enjoy your posts, and I agree with 99% of the stuff you say ... but holy cow, you must be an adrenaline junkie, to almost exclusively play in these extremely dire, short-handed, edge-of-your-seat situations.
At most times in my ls, I'm never really in those "Dire" situations, well, sometimes... But most fights dont require that, and i'm rather bored just sitting around and doing nothing. And it is a game of optimization, which is why I like it, but it only calls for that sometimes, most of the time I just wish i was /nin so I could bash stuff with my Gamby.
How does this look for a TP Set? Working on OA4, but been too lazy, so its just OA2. I've been trying to get a Ziel charm, or a PCC, to replace that neck piece, and I've just been too lazy with the back. <.<
http://www.ffxiah.com/members/item-sets?id=189269
And theres my WS set! bashing prz.
Edit: computer stupid and yeah. :< dont really know if those links work for you guys but i'll check if anyone posts when i come back from school. <.<;

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-05-26 12:44:22  
Holding a mob while your group recovers isn't difficult or complex(not that its even necessary- MNK, THF, and NIN can all easily hold mobs while weakened). If there's room to kite, you kite. If there isn't room to kite(or it runs too fast), either spam Cure5/6 on yourself or zombie it. Neither are the least bit difficult, nor do hey require an excessive number of "split-second decisions that will turn the tide of an epic clash with a mighty beast!".
[+]
By Tebernok66 2011-05-27 11:39:41  
I guess I should have been more clear. I know what a WHM's "job" is. I was just talking about DDing with friends just having fun on random stuff. Some people take this crap WAY too seriously lol. I'm not gonna show up to LS event NM's with my clubs locked cocked and ready to rock >.>