Holy Shit, Is This The End Of Console Gaming?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Holy shit, is this the end of console gaming?
Holy shit, is this the end of console gaming?
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-31 10:41:24  
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5969564.ece

Havn't read it all yet, but interesting no doubt!
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-31 10:43:03  
Saiya said:
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

Havn't read it all yet, but interesting no doubt!

Fixed.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-31 10:47:32  
Will there eventually be an end to console gaming, most likely.

Will this be the cause? Unlikely.
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-31 10:51:42  
Whoops, wrong area, meant to post this in Off-Topic.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-31 10:51:51  
Perhaps not this, but quite possibly something based on this system. Unfortunately the big issue here is internet speeds. While they are getting faster, there's still a lot of reliability, availability and pricing issues at this point in time.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-31 10:57:09  
Blazza said:
Perhaps not this, but quite possibly something based on this system. Unfortunately the big issue here is internet speeds. While they are getting faster, there's still a lot of reliability, availability and pricing issues at this point in time.

This mostly, esp in the US most residential areas are monopolized by a single broadband provider, which leads to horrible pricing and even worse reliability / service. You also have to consider the competition. I'm sure Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would gladly just roll over and let some start-up completely take over the video game market. I could easily see a company like Microsoft just going straight to these guys, buying w/e technology they may or may not have and just sitting on it.

Speaking form a US perspective, until the way Internet is delivered to the home is completely overhauled something like this can't work.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-31 11:01:08  
Australian broadband is even further behind the US for the most part.
 Garuda.Crayne
サーバ: Garuda
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-03-31 11:01:42  
Ya know, there was a console of some similar concept out here...the Phantom. It's in development hell, the company behind it (as of 2006) has lost more than $62.7 Million (US). It was designed to be used without discs or cartridges, and instead use a direct download system for current and future PC games...

Yeah...gonna fail? Perhaps, given people generally don't have the internet connection require fo something like Onlive to work.
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-31 11:09:01
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Physical media will take a long long long long time to be snuffed out. This online service looks not only expensive and unnecessary, but limited in availability and is prone to error. People love consoles for the most part because it works. There's no compatability issues, they simply buy the game they want for the console they own and play it.

Also I see a tsunami of lawsuits and attorneys from every major console making company opening fire upon this service for the innumerable grounds it could violate. If anything the service will give us a taste of what the future could hold, but it won't dominate anytime soon.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-31 11:28:46  
The big bold letters at the top of the screen said:
Holy ***, is this the end of console gaming?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-31 11:31:41  
People have been saying one thing or another will be the death of console gaming for well over a decade. It will eventually be replaced, and I think we're starting to move into the decline of console gaming, but it will be a while yet before console gaming dies out. Improving global Internet connections will further this significantly - slow/unreliable connections favor console gaming because solo and local multiplayer gaming isn't affected, whereas playing FFXI at my parent's house would be almost impossible due to an extremely unreliable connection.
 Bahamut.Farias
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Farias
By Bahamut.Farias 2009-03-31 11:44:56  
Steam does quite a few direct download games, my PS3 can get a few full games through it's online store, and a recent Game Informer Magazine talked about a new PSP that won't use UMD but direct downloading.

The end of consoles is probably not going to happen because people enjoy the ease of use in consoles and hooking up 4+ controllers in front of a big tv in the living room when friends come over. If anything we're just getting close to the end of media for consoles as digital means advance.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-31 11:45:30  
Hell No its not the end! I still one the original gameboy! and we still play atari! :P
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-31 11:46:48

People would scream bloody murder if support for their already owned physical media became unsupported. So even if direct download to hard drive becomes the new form of incoming media, it sure as hell better continue to support what we already spent thousands on >.>
 Ramuh.Scizor
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-03-31 12:23:14  
I read about something similar to this a while back, apparently a compamy(forget name) is trying to make the latest Tomb raider playable while downloading once it hits 64mb downloaded you can apparently play it, as far as i know its all experimental and may take years before its fully available
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-31 12:57:59  
All I know is, first they need to make a vending machine PC, where I can sit at my desk and just click a button to have a soda magically appear first before they take away my gaming consoles!! :P
 Seraph.Keichan
サーバ: Seraph
user: Keichan
By Seraph.Keichan 2009-03-31 13:05:15  
I think the success of this game really depends on the billing of their service. As this system is based on a streaming technology, "Tiered Monthly Charges", might just end up more expensive than the console and the game itself depending on your game usage. (Disadvantages for the eclectic gamer probably). We'll see! The billing makes or breaks this system!
 Unicorn.Tavlov
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-31 13:21:22  
I can see it now, all those video game stores shutting down, more job loss.... /sigh
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-31 13:24:53  
No.
and there is nothing more nice then being able to hold a cd or something in your hand.
Original Snes cartridge>some emulator
 Lakshmi.Badkarma
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: BK
By Lakshmi.Badkarma 2009-03-31 13:27:34  
This thing will not come out. Ever. Sony and MSoft will make sure of that. The Phantom tried to do it, and never came out. So nothing will change.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-31 13:28:56

Point is, physical media will always be more reliable than any online service requiring internet connection to function.
 Asura.Reublucian
サーバ: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-31 13:29:22

Saiya said:

No
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-31 13:35:59  
Quote:
Holy ***, is this the end of console gaming?

One could hope so!
 Bahamut.Nixak
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2009-03-31 14:09:06  
If it plays flash games then I will buy it. Those things are addictive.
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-31 14:25:12  
there is no way UK broadband services could handle something like this lol
 Bahamut.Citag
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-03-31 14:32:57

I doubt console gaming will ever be over. Sony and Microsoft will always have something new in development. And as far as I'm concerned, I will always own a new Sony system.
 Bismarck.Misao
サーバ: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2009-03-31 14:51:40  

GM Dave's take on this
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-03-31 15:00:30  
Kelia said:
there is no way UK broadband services could handle something like this lol

UK broadband = fails
 Bahamut.Atrithk
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-04-02 21:02:20  
720p streaming requires an average connection speed of about 110 MB/s. Not megabits. MegaBYTES.
Enjoy your scam.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-02 21:25:15  
Atrithk said:
720p streaming requires an average connection speed of about 110 MB/s. Not megabits. MegaBYTES.
Enjoy your scam.

What lol ? It's way lower... Hello thare H.264.
First Page 2