Portal 2, Offensive!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Portal 2, Offensive!
Portal 2, Offensive!
First Page 2
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-18 00:51:43  
Quote:
Portal 2 Finds A Unique Way to Offend
Michael McWhertor — What could one possibly find offensive about the critically lauded Portal 2, an inventive, all ages-friendly game? Are those turrets too violent? Is the jazz too smooth? No, it's the jokes about adoption that have one Portal fan (and one local news team) riled up.
So says a report today from Charlotte, North Carolina's CBS affiliate WBTV (which, by the way, may contain spoilers for Portal 2 players). Neal Stapel, adoptive father to Zoey, a Chinese orphan, says he was upset with the barbs slung by Portal 2's antagonists, insults that belittle the playable Chell for her (alleged) adopted status. Morons and the overweight are also mocked by robots.

In Portal 2, Chell's arch-nemeses tease her for her non-existent weight gain and her lack of birth parents, puerile, bullying taunts that offer color into their respective characters. But the jabs at her being adopted were too much for Stapel.

"It literally pokes fun for not having parents," he says, seeming to choke up in WBTV's news broadcast. He played the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 with his kids, but stopped when the adoption jokes kicked in. "It throws the ultimate question that that child is ever going to have for you... and it just throws it right in the living room."

Yes, it's got to be a bit awkward for adoptive parents if they're experiencing this in front of their non-biological kids, but Chell's enemies are also trying to kill her, which I'd find much more upsetting if I were her. But, hey, I wasn't adopted and can't personally relate to the conflicting emotions of such a situation.

Kotaku reached out to Valve to see if they had any comment on the matter, though they didn't before this story aired, reportedly.

Kotaku

The video made me laugh.
[+]
 Valefor.Pewpeww
サーバ: Valefor
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-05-18 00:56:57  
Those kinds of people don't deserve to have kids. Grow a sense of humor idiot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-05-18 01:19:19  
it's because he has a British accent!
By Zenshiro14 2011-05-18 01:25:40  
people need to grow a funny bone or something -.-
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-05-18 01:27:20  
Dear god, people are so stupid sometimes.
Like really? Shelter your children more. If he really believes that Portal 2 is the reason his adopted child has questions then that's really just sad.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2011-05-18 01:27:49  
What is wrong with mocking morons?
 Lakshmi.Jesi
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2011-05-18 01:30:04  
That video is gold. I laughed so hard so many times.

I love how the reporters act like Portal 2 is the devil because of that adopted joke.

So next can we get some fat people on there crying about all of the fat jokes? I mean there was only really one adopted joke and a ton of fat jokes.

Oh and the part at the end where they said "They are passing the buck onto someone else" because they contacted Sony who was basically like "we didn't publish the game OR make it, you idiots, call Valve" and then Valve didn't comment like the champs they are.

The entire educational thing was a joke too. Who the hell said this game was educational? Oh the reporters did, no one else did. No one in their right freakin mind would call portal "educational".

But a classic piece, thanks for this.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-18 01:38:07  
/facepalm

oh charlotte, ....
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-05-18 01:44:16  
They also say "Kids game" which I don't believe portal to be. Just because it's rated E doesn't mean it's just for children.
By Zenshiro14 2011-05-18 01:45:28  
Lakshmi.Jesi said:
That video is gold. I laughed so hard so many times.

I love how the reporters act like Portal 2 is the devil because of that adopted joke.

So next can we get some fat people on there crying about all of the fat jokes? I mean there was only really one adopted joke and a ton of fat jokes.

Oh and the part at the end where they said "They are passing the buck onto someone else" because they contacted Sony who was basically like "we didn't publish the game OR make it, you idiots, call Valve" and then Valve didn't comment like the champs they are.

The entire educational thing was a joke too. Who the hell said this game was educational? Oh the reporters did, no one else did. No one in their right freakin mind would call portal "educational".

But a classic piece, thanks for this.

It's educational because it show you have to use a Portal gun that is not real and wont be real in any of our life time or never lol.
By Artemicion 2011-05-18 01:49:53  
My message to the father:

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-18 01:53:59  
It's not so much the father. I can understand getting a little pissy if you were playing with your kid.

It's the news agency who literally has NO idea about anything in the game, doesn't understand the context of the insult and the fact that it's a running joke.

They're the kind of agency who would blame video games if a psychopath owned a PS3 before going on a rampage.

Essentially Jack Thompson reborn.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-05-18 01:56:49  
The thing is, I don't understand getting so uppity over something in context relating only to the fictional character therein. How could you honestly take offense to something indirect and unrelated to you as a person? Even Square-Enix has a more blatant way to make fun of their own consumers.

I don't see anyone QQing to a news cast about how they got their feelings hurt about a game telling them how much of their time was wasted playing it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2011-05-18 02:00:18  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Portal 2 Finds A Unique Way to Offend
Michael McWhertor — What could one possibly find offensive about the critically lauded Portal 2, an inventive, all ages-friendly game? Are those turrets too violent? Is the jazz too smooth? No, it's the jokes about adoption that have one Portal fan (and one local news team) riled up.
So says a report today from Charlotte, North Carolina's CBS affiliate WBTV (which, by the way, may contain spoilers for Portal 2 players). Neal Stapel, adoptive father to Zoey, a Chinese orphan, says he was upset with the barbs slung by Portal 2's antagonists, insults that belittle the playable Chell for her (alleged) adopted status. Morons and the overweight are also mocked by robots.

In Portal 2, Chell's arch-nemeses tease her for her non-existent weight gain and her lack of birth parents, puerile, bullying taunts that offer color into their respective characters. But the jabs at her being adopted were too much for Stapel.

"It literally pokes fun for not having parents," he says, seeming to choke up in WBTV's news broadcast. He played the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 with his kids, but stopped when the adoption jokes kicked in. "It throws the ultimate question that that child is ever going to have for you... and it just throws it right in the living room."

Yes, it's got to be a bit awkward for adoptive parents if they're experiencing this in front of their non-biological kids, but Chell's enemies are also trying to kill her, which I'd find much more upsetting if I were her. But, hey, I wasn't adopted and can't personally relate to the conflicting emotions of such a situation.

Kotaku reached out to Valve to see if they had any comment on the matter, though they didn't before this story aired, reportedly.

I've never played the game, portal 1 or 2, but if it's the bad guy being an *** and tossing out all the insults... isn't a better lesson to show that as cruel as the bad guy is they can be beaten if you stand up or fight for yourself? Rather than, don't deal with it, turn the game off and hide it, it is never to be spoken of again.

Anyway...
Artemicion said:
My message to the father:

Alexander.Garlend
サーバ: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2011-05-18 02:10:15  
People will always find something to *** about anything thats popular. Just wait till people start saying L.A. Noire is racist and sexist. Just wait, it'll happen. It's all HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. lol
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2011-05-18 02:20:11  
Aside from it all, I do believe the father has a minor-point at best; although, since he voluntarily chose to play the game he honestly has nothing to complain about. Even more so, the news report shows he is STILL letting the little girl play the game, now that is just plain stupid. Don't *** about it then.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jesi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2011-05-18 02:28:28  
Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
Aside from it all, I do believe the father has a minor-point at best; although, since he voluntarily chose to play the game he honestly has nothing to complain about. Even more so, the news report shows he is STILL letting the little girl play the game, now that is just plain stupid. Don't *** about it then.

That's actually a really good point.

If the game is so evil why are they still playing it?

I guess portal 2 is just so good that you want to keep playing it even after it makes you literally cry on national TV about how it hurt your daughter.
[+]
 Ifrit.Daemun
サーバ: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-05-18 08:31:46  
I'm adopted and I have no beef with this game.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2011-05-18 09:04:28  
I admit, I'd be concerned if I had an adopted kid in that situation, but it's nothing I'd report to a news station. I think the dad just wants that feel-good effect for standing up against some tiny facet of popular culture. People get so self-righteous about these things. :\
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-05-18 09:18:53  
lol, I like how the news reporters have NO idea how GladOS is in this game. "This is nuts! To think it'd say something like that for a game that's marked E for Everyone!!!"

I guess they were thinking it was a wholesome game prior to that adoption statement.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-05-18 09:23:23  
This is sad. And I don't honestly care to take enough time to get into how many levels of pathetic it is.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-05-18 09:33:03  
I think the real crime here is that the game is for ages 10+ and yet they show the boy who is younger than Zoey watching with them. He's much too young to be there. Bad parenting >.<
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-05-18 09:58:34  
Caitsith.Shiroi said:

Yes let's cut the video for sensationalism!

Lmao!!!

... God I really need to buy Portal 2.
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-05-18 10:09:36  
Dear lord... My faith in humanity hasn't dropped this much since some woman who came into my work raged at us because her sandwich was made with bread.
 Ifrit.Daemun
サーバ: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-05-18 11:54:30  
Ramuh.Rowland said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
I'm adopted and I have no beef with this game.
To be fair, I can assume you aren't 10 years old either.
I was made fun of a bit in gradeschool about it...I just came back with the fact that their parents were stuck with them, my parents chose me.

It's just like mentally handicapped people. They really don't take offense to being called retards, it's the people around them that are over sensitive. Guy should get a life. Use this game as a life lesson, make his daughter a stronger person.
[+]
 Shiva.Tidusblitz
By Shiva.Tidusblitz 2011-05-18 12:01:41  
Aside from the fact that portal 2 is a terrible game, it wasnt offensive at all gameplay wise. It was a little offensive to charge over 3 bucks for it though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-18 12:04:30  
bawww
First Page 2