フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Stuck at 89
Stuck at 89
 Phoenix.Felonius
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2011-05-17 12:32:38  
Hi,

I have been stuck at 89 fishing for quite a while (multiple months maybe a year) I don't work on it all that often but I have spent sessions fishing up multiple stacks of Black Sole and more recently fished over 50 Pterygotus and have not got a skillup (I was using pelican ring as well, not sure if it increases skill rate or if it just allows possibility of more than 1 skillup when you skillup).

someone told me that the skillgap me being 89 and pterygotus being 99 is not wide enough, and suggested I try to skill up on Lik's. I had tried to catch Lik's before and even with the key-items and the ring to increase fish time on line and ring enchantment to help reduce fish stamina I am not able to land a Lik 90% of the time. so I don't see this being a good way to skillup unless you get a skillup every 3 lik's or something...

Also, I have completed the last fishing test.

In any case, could someone recommend how to proceed from this point to 100? I don't want to waste my time, if it just takes this long I guess it just takes this long, I was hoping it would go a little quicker though. I have the serpent rumors and mooching key-items (though getting the bait is a pain) and I also have Lu Shangs and the 3 rings mentioned (can't remember names other than pelican I just know what they do).
 Kujata.Rhydia
サーバ: Kujata
user: Rhydill
By Kujata.Rhydia 2011-05-17 12:37:22  
Fishing skillups suck in general. Other than the fish you mentioned, you could try Armored Pisces. They are level 103, bite on a lure and won't break your line/rod.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-17 12:54:44  
I skilled up all the way to 96 on Dil, it took a long time, but it got there eventually.
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-17 13:53:32  
I went 70-90 in talacca cove on mercanbaligi, ahtapot, and dil. Then did 90-96 in qufim off black sole.

Just keep at it, and you'll get it eventually. You might want to consider trying pelazoea for a while in abyssea - la theine, turning them in to zaldon for a noddy ring. That will lower the amount of monsters you get on your line. The apron (if you don't have it) will reduce the amount of items on your line. The more fish you're catching per cast, the faster your skillups will be.

Oh, pelazoea are also reported to be 100+ fish as well. I got a few skillups on them at 96. Only problem is that it eats into your abyssea time if you're short on stones. Also, I used shell bugs as bait and they're not always readily available.

*edited for redundancy*
 Bahamut.Zoltar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-05-17 14:47:53  
Qufim Island (North) Black Sole - Lu's + Sinking Minnow
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-05-17 14:49:22  
Phoenix.Felonius said:
Hi,

I have been stuck at 89 fishing for quite a while (multiple months maybe a year) I don't work on it all that often but I have spent sessions fishing up multiple stacks of Black Sole and more recently fished over 50 Pterygotus and have not got a skillup (I was using pelican ring as well, not sure if it increases skill rate or if it just allows possibility of more than 1 skillup when you skillup).

someone told me that the skillgap me being 89 and pterygotus being 99 is not wide enough, and suggested I try to skill up on Lik's. I had tried to catch Lik's before and even with the key-items and the ring to increase fish time on line and ring enchantment to help reduce fish stamina I am not able to land a Lik 90% of the time. so I don't see this being a good way to skillup unless you get a skillup every 3 lik's or something...

Also, I have completed the last fishing test.

In any case, could someone recommend how to proceed from this point to 100? I don't want to waste my time, if it just takes this long I guess it just takes this long, I was hoping it would go a little quicker though. I have the serpent rumors and mooching key-items (though getting the bait is a pain) and I also have Lu Shangs and the 3 rings mentioned (can't remember names other than pelican I just know what they do).

SE aimed at botters and hit legitimate players once again in this last update, and nerfed skill gain as well as fatigue cap, so i don't envy your position

that said, black sole then armored pisces are the answer
 Phoenix.Felonius
サーバ: Phoenix
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2011-05-18 11:46:32  
Well, I finally got a .2 skillup last night and hit 90. It took catching another 48 pterygotus. I will try mixing it up between Pterygotus, Black Sole, and Armored Pisces.

Thanks for the advice.