New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » TF2 and Comp. Specs
TF2 and Comp. Specs
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2011-04-29 12:26:52  
First let me start off by saying that I'm a relative novice when it comes to computer specs.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any good idea of the specs. needed to play Team Fortress 2 relatively smoothly. I will soon be buying a new laptop and was trying to find one that I could use to play TF2 on. The site lists the requirements as :

"Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection"

but most laptops I have looked at only range between 2 to 2.5 GHz as far as the processor goes. I was wondering how big of a difference this will make? If anyone here plays TF2 or is good with comp. specs. or both I would really appreciate any good advice or tips!

Thank you!
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-29 12:56:01  
TF2 is an old game based on old technology. While laptops generally run a little slower than desktops even with slightly better "specs", you should be able to run tf2 on your laptop with moderate settings assuming your laptop was made within the last couple years.

It would help if you had your own personal specs to compare with if you were really curious.

In any event, the 3.0 processor they're talking about is an old old single core, even without multithreading the software, multicore processors tend to do fine if theyre a bit slower than recommended single cores.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2011-04-29 13:22:49  
Oh, ok, thank you! I take it then that whatever graphics card I get shouldn't be a problem either? This is what I plan on getting this summer.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l502x/pd?oc=dndodk1&model_id=xps-l502x
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-29 13:33:18  
TF2 is a hog these days. The more they add the slower it gets.

Take the specs they offer and increase them by a fair bit if you want to play at high settings.

You'd be fine with that laptop, TF2 is taxing on the processor mainly. Also welcome to the TF2 community for when you do join, Heavy will offer you sandvich!
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2011-04-29 13:36:29  
Alright, thanks so much! :D