Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 17 18 19
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:49:24  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

You should just say.... "The KKK should be allowed to wear their uniform in any establishment despite their past history of violence while wearing the uniform." and get it over with. Its the only way you'll clearly win this argument. Really. Arguing against this argument is just a trap.

But they shouldn't. A KKK hood is a declaration of a deliberate intention to hurt people who aren't white, and it's worn exclusively for that purpose. Wearing a burqa is a sign of religious modesty, or oppression, or whatever you want to think. It's not an intent to -- like I said before -- lynch the black dude behind the counter.

If a guy in a KKK hood walked into a Mattress Firm and requested to buy a bed from the black manager on duty, he would be perfectly justified in being scared as ***, calling the cops, and telling him to get the hell off the premises. Telling a housewife who's trying to relieve neck issues that she can't buy a bed because her burqa makes her a security risk just isn't the same thing.

I know you can't appreciate this difference, but it's real.

No, really. A KKK outfit isn't a declaration of intent to harm. It may have been used by some people that took it as an intent to harm but originally the garment was worn for ceremonies. Just because a group of people wore it while persecuting black people doesn't make the garment itself evil.

Also, just because someone is bigoted doesn't mean they're not entitled to BE bigoted. They just can't ACT on it.

So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him?

Now, tell me how a housewife wearing a burqa poses the same threat.

Maybe hes shy and thinks his masculine face and shiny hair will seduce all who set eyes on him and lead them into homosexual sin. Therefore he wears his KKK suit wherever he goes to protect all the men from being seduced into homosexuality. The man may not be justified in this belief and many people would rightfully question whether or not people should have a right to have homosexual thoughts when viewing his stunning face and amazing physique. Maybe hes not worried about homosexuals so much as women becoming enamored of his Adonis DNA.

But, for whatever reason, he chooses to wear the KKK outfit wherever he goes. Hes never harmed a person in his life and just wears that outfit as a sign of his pride in his obviously superior white Adonis DNA. He might be a grand warlock. Who knows. But one thing is certain. He doesn't want to hurt this fine upstanding Black person whose duty is to sell him a bed if he so damned well wants one.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:50:12  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him?

Maybe he had just gotten out of the rally and needed a new mattress. Duh.

...lol

KKK members buying mattresses in uniform after attending rallies, and Muslim terrorists posing as harmless every-day families in order to blow up Americans. This post is awesome.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:50:46  
Maybe you should get on the same wavelength as what we're actually arguing and you'll get it.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-17 01:51:47  
What the hell are you even arguing about?
 Ifrit.Tsuneo
user: Tsuneo
By Ifrit.Tsuneo 2011-04-17 01:52:25  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Maybe you should get on the same wavelength as what we're actually arguing and you'll get it.
I don't think you know what you're even arguing. All you're saying is everyone should be like me or they should get out.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:52:40  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

...lol

KKK members buying mattresses in uniform after attending rallies, and Muslim terrorists posing as harmless every-day families in order to blow up Americans. This post is awesome.

But... Islamic extremists DO imitate harmless families to blow up innocent people. All the time. O.o; Not *** with you.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:53:00  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

You should just say.... "The KKK should be allowed to wear their uniform in any establishment despite their past history of violence while wearing the uniform." and get it over with. Its the only way you'll clearly win this argument. Really. Arguing against this argument is just a trap.

But they shouldn't. A KKK hood is a declaration of a deliberate intention to hurt people who aren't white, and it's worn exclusively for that purpose. Wearing a burqa is a sign of religious modesty, or oppression, or whatever you want to think. It's not an intent to -- like I said before -- lynch the black dude behind the counter.

If a guy in a KKK hood walked into a Mattress Firm and requested to buy a bed from the black manager on duty, he would be perfectly justified in being scared as ***, calling the cops, and telling him to get the hell off the premises. Telling a housewife who's trying to relieve neck issues that she can't buy a bed because her burqa makes her a security risk just isn't the same thing.

I know you can't appreciate this difference, but it's real.

No, really. A KKK outfit isn't a declaration of intent to harm. It may have been used by some people that took it as an intent to harm but originally the garment was worn for ceremonies. Just because a group of people wore it while persecuting black people doesn't make the garment itself evil.

Also, just because someone is bigoted doesn't mean they're not entitled to BE bigoted. They just can't ACT on it.

Maybe hes shy and thinks his masculine face and shiny hair will seduce all who set eyes on him and lead them into homosexual sin. Therefore he wears his KKK suit wherever he goes to protect all the men from being seduced into homosexuality. The man may not be justified in this belief and many people would rightfully question whether or not people should have a right to have homosexual thoughts when viewing his stunning face and amazing physique. Maybe hes not worried about homosexuals so much as women becoming enamored of his Adonis DNA.

You know, if that was genuinely a common-held practice among KKK members, I would see absolutely no danger in him being there dressed like that.

It sounds like you just argued that the Muslim woman wasn't a security threat after all!
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:53:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Probably this.

I'm not saying the guy is or wasn't racist or discriminatory. But it's very credible that he wasn't. And last time I checked you are innocent till proven guilty
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:53:33  
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
I don't think you know what you're even arguing. All you're saying is everyone should be like me or they should get out.

Well, no, hes not arguing that. Maybe some other people are but what hes arguing is completely different.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:53:44  
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

I know damn well what I'm arguing.

That the burqa has no place in this world any longer.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:54:25  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Probably this.

I'm not saying the guy is or wasn't racist or discriminatory. But it's very credible that he wasn't. And last time I checked you are innocent till proven guilty

And this is one of the other points being argued. And see Hohen's posts for more of the primary points.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:54:55  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Probably this.

And this is one of the other points being argued. And see Hohen's posts for more of the primary points.

What's my primary point? I don't even remember anymore.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:55:07  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

...lol

But... Islamic extremists DO imitate harmless families to blow up innocent people. All the time. O.o; Not *** with you.

Seriously, this is why I say things like "What world do you live in?" You really believe Islamic extremists pose as harlmess families and go into places like mattress firm in order to enact Jihad? I mean, do you really walk around seeing every-day Muslims and think: "They could be a terrorist"? Are you actually the real-life embodiment of that Onion video?

And there's nothing prejudicial or illegal about denying service based on this?
By zahrah 2011-04-17 01:56:04  
zahrah said:
Well, you are acting pretty xenophobic. Apparently you think foreigners should ditch their culture the second they come to our country.

You make it seem as though every Western nation is suppose to give up their culture to accommodate to others!!!

Wait, what exactly am I asking people to give up?

Well, you're accusing someone of being xenophobic. What is your solution? You think foreigners are "ditching" their culture. Why not adapt? There is give and take with both, or do you not see that?

Someone from the UK, France or Germany please enter this conversation!!!

These extremists that refuse to acclimate are my problem. I have Muslim friends who have. They're fine, but when I hear about the constant threats of violence against any European nation I get a little testy.

Where are you from? Where is your family? I'd really like to know. Most of mine are in Germany and the UK! You may be one of those who can enjoy your armchair politics just fine without having to feel any of the ramifications of having people you love abroad!
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-17 01:57:41  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

According to whom? You?
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:58:28  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Well, the burqa IS a uniform worn by women to hide their sexuality and is mandated to be worn by a patriarchal society that demands obedience from their women as proper pieces of property. Of course, that's not to say that other societies haven't done the same thing. A nun's habit is similar. Women were considered improper if they showed as much as a sliver of ankle for centuries. What it is saying is that perhaps Muslims are a few centuries behind in development as a culture than everyone else. Or perhaps its just saying that we're all heathens who should be burned in hell. I dunno, its mumbling and I have to interpret as best I can. *** mumblers.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:58:31  
zahrah said:
zahrah said:
Well, you are acting pretty xenophobic. Apparently you think foreigners should ditch their culture the second they come to our country.

You make it seem as though every Western nation is suppose to give up their culture to accommodate to others!!!

Well, you're accusing someone of being xenophobic. What is your solution? You think foreigners are "ditching" their culture. Why not adapt? There is give and take with both, or do you not see that?

What do you have to 'give' in order to let a Muslim woman wear a burqa? No, I really don't see it.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:59:04  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him? Now, tell me how a housewife wearing a burqa poses the same threat.
...lol KKK members buying mattresses in uniform after attending rallies, and Muslim terrorists posing as harmless every-day families in order to blow up Americans. This post is awesome.
Seriously, this is why I say things like "What world do you live in?" You really believe Islamic extremists pose as harlmess families and go into places like mattress firm in order to enact Jihad? I mean, do you really walk around seeing every-day Muslims and think: "They could be a terrorist"? Are you actually the real-life embodiment of that Onion video?

Do you not understand the point of terrorism? It's striking anywhere from the large to the small the important to the mundane. It's making people believe they are safe nowhere.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:59:20  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

...lol

To be honest, why the *** not?

I know if I immigrated to the Middle East, I'd adopt their culture and wear their clothes. Maybe it's just me, but someone in their family must not have liked the Middle East in the first place to wish to leave it and relocate to America (if the woman was born here).

Maybe there is just something wrong with it. I don't know. I just know what I would do. And that would definitely not be wearing a burqa and proclaiming my religion all over the place.

I don't go up to random people and be all like, hay guyz im gay, because I know some people don't like it and don't want to hear it.

Those people also wouldn't have a problem if they didn't know; it's the truth.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:59:49  
Fairy.Spence said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

According to whom? You?

Yes, that's what I'm arguing.

I'm not saying "It's wrong because I say so."

I'm saying, "there are reasons I believe it has no place."
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 02:00:05  
zahrah said:
zahrah said:
What do you have to 'give' in order to let a Muslim woman wear a burqa? No, I really don't see it.
Last time I checked he didn't make her take it off
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 02:03:13  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him? Now, tell me how a housewife wearing a burqa poses the same threat.
...lol KKK members buying mattresses in uniform after attending rallies, and Muslim terrorists posing as harmless every-day families in order to blow up Americans. This post is awesome.

Do you not understand the point of terrorism? It's striking anywhere from the large to the small the important to the mundane. It's making people believe they are safe nowhere.

Of course, but we don't live in Israel or the West Bank. Somehow I don't think the Baskin Robbins a few blocks from my house is going to be targeted by Al'Qaeda disguised as foreign-exchange students tomorrow.

I know this is a crazy idea, but when a Muslim woman comes into the Mattress Firm I manage with her family and tells me she's having neck pain, I'm betting she's just spending too much time lying on a shitty mattress, not that she's going to scream "ALLAHU AKBAR" and pull a pin when I'm off fetching a rental agreement.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 02:03:34  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Ifrit.Tsuneo said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
I know damn well what I'm arguing. That the burqa has no place in this world any longer.
Well, the burqa IS a uniform worn by women to hide their sexuality and is mandated to be worn by a patriarchal society that demands obedience from their women as proper pieces of property. Of course, that's not to say that other societies haven't done the same thing. A nun's habit is similar. Women were considered improper if they showed as much as a sliver of ankle for centuries. What it is saying is that perhaps Muslims are a few centuries behind in development as a culture than everyone else. Or perhaps its just saying that we're all heathens who should be burned in hell. I dunno, its mumbling and I have to interpret as best I can. *** mumblers.
It is but the act of mandating they wear it and the reasons have no place in the world anymore. The very act of her having to wear it is worse than discrimantion based on wearing.

Nuns are different because there is some choice. And well the consequences aren't quite the same. Muslim women get beaten to death for being "improper"
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 02:03:40  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

...lol

Are you SO ignorant you don't read the news about people in marketplaces being blown up by men dressed up as women? Or how women 'while with their families' blow themselves up in hotels? Really. I'm not *** with you. It has happened and will happen. They imitate everyday people to perform their terrorism. Its insidious.

I am, however, not advocating that people in burqas be denied service. I'm pretty much as neutral in this as you can possibly be. I've made a point, repeatedly, that several of these arguments are really quite silly. The argument that anyone should be turned away for not showing their face if you allow anyone ELSE to hide their face is silly. Its totally unsustainable.
By zahrah 2011-04-17 02:04:16  
zahrah said:
zahrah said:

Why aren't you answering the main question? Where are you from? That might give us some insight on your position.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 02:06:17  
And while you argue you all this you know that if I went around in my normal street clothes in there hometown I would be lucky if all I got was put in jail without trial. Yes you adjust and adapt to wear you live it's just common sense.
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-04-17 02:07:13  
I just wonder how many people would be screaming racism or biggotry if it had been a white Amish woman wearing a scarf and her husband that had been refused service.

Or frankly any person wearing anything that covers their face other than a muslim woman. How many people would speak out against him if a Brazilian woman wearing a carnaval mask had been refuse service. (I know it's not religious, but it is a part of their culture).

People seem way too sensitive and quick to jump the gun on anything that seems like Muslim intolerance, not because of their freedom of religion, but because they're Muslims.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 02:08:04  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:
zahrah said:
Last time I checked he didn't make her take it off

So?
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 02:09:14  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
And while you argue you all this you know that if I went around in my normal street clothes in there hometown I would be lucky if all I got was put in jail without trial. Yes you adjust and adapt to wear you live it's just common sense.

Yes, but nobody here thinks we should go force them to be open minded. Why that would be barbarous.

The world is insane. Live with it or we'll take you to the mattresses.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 02:10:26  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Yes, but nobody here thinks we should go force them to be open minded. Why that would be barbarous.

The world is insane. Live with it or we'll take you to the mattresses.

Are you declaring gang war!?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 17 18 19