Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 17 18 19
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-04-17 01:20:40  
Any person, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation, should not uphold "security risk" evaluations to buy a mattress. . .
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:21:41  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
The guy wearing a KKK hood presumably is a real security risk. A housewife with her family of 4 isn't.

I mean, we're talking about an outfit worn to express the religious belief that your body is sacred, yada yada. Not that the dude behind the counter should be lynched.

So because you think this guy is a security risk based on your bigoted view of him, you're going to deny him service? really?

You're right, a guy walking around in a KKK hood is totally harmless and I'm a bigot for saying otherwise. As opposed to a housewife in a burqa. She's packing a bomb, yo. That's just the facts.

She's a housewife, congrats.

I bet all the muslim terrorist bombers also were fathers or mothers with children too. Your point is?

My point is that she wasn't a security threat, to believe she was is a paranoid delusion based in bigotry, and to deny service based on such a thing is, yes, illegal and wrong.

If you believe the store manager really was justified in turning her away, maybe you can explain to me why her burqa makes her a security threat. So far all I hear is: "She was hiding her identity" (Really? How do you think Muslim societies function?) and "She couldn't been hiding something in her clothes." It's actually a lot easier to conceal weapons in jeans and jackets than in a long-flowing outfit like a burqa.

But I understand this desire to associate Muslims with danger. It's a scary world out there, and there are lots of scary images on TV. That doesn't mean this fear is well-founded.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:22:31  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
50-60 years ago who would've believed little kids were a danger... and then they started hugging GIs after pulling grenade pins

Again, thank you! You beat me to it.

You people are insane. I'm sorry, but we're talking about MATRESS FIRM here. This isn't Congress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:23:16  
Pandemonium.Scrumpet said:
Any person, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation, should not uphold "security risk" evaluations to buy a mattress. . .
You can't buy a mattress scrumpy!!!

Because you should be on mine ^^
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:24:08  

My point is that she wasn't a security threat, to believe she was is a paranoid delusion based in bigotry, and to deny service based on such a thing is, yes, illegal and wrong.

If you believe the store manager really was justified in turning her away, maybe you can explain to me why her burqa makes her a security threat. So far all I hear is: "She was hiding her identity" (Really? How do you think Muslim societies function?) and "She couldn't been hiding something in her clothes." It's actually a lot easier to conceal weapons in jeans and jackets than in a long-flowing outfit like a burqa.

But I understand this desire to associate Muslims with danger. It's a scary world out there, and there are lots of scary images on TV. That doesn't mean this fear is well-founded.

She's in America, right?

Well *** all the Muslim society's rules, she's here.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:24:42  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
The guy wearing a KKK hood presumably is a real security risk. A housewife with her family of 4 isn't.

I mean, we're talking about an outfit worn to express the religious belief that your body is sacred, yada yada. Not that the dude behind the counter should be lynched.

So because you think this guy is a security risk based on your bigoted view of him, you're going to deny him service? really?

You're right, a guy walking around in a KKK hood is totally harmless and I'm a bigot for saying otherwise. As opposed to a housewife in a burqa. She's packing a bomb, yo. That's just the facts.

She's a housewife, congrats.

I bet all the muslim terrorist bombers also were fathers or mothers with children too. Your point is?

I doubt she was a security threat. I woulda sold her the mattress too personally.

I'm just arguing against all of this forsaken give minoritys and muslims attention discrimination white people are bigots ***.

Also. I agree with Xueye. Burkas or w/e you spell them are *** stupid. You want your body to be sacred and pure? Then stay the *** inside.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 01:25:44  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

I do want to point out this is a land with freedom of religion....or so we claim.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:26:35  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

No, really. O.o you can't see the merits of the argument? I mean, both groups have a history of violence. Though, I think the group that wears the Burka has killed more people.

Standard arguments for wearing the burqa are steeped in rhetoric about racial superiority, killing other races so as to keep the supreme race's society 'pure', etc., etc.?

The fact that you consider these two outfits analogous just reveals how deeply prejudiced you are against Muslims. That you think the burqa is a violent outfit astounds me. Do you even know anything about the Qu'ran?

There ARE no merits to this argument. Comparing the burqa to a KKK hood in order to 'reveal' why the former is a 'security risk' is just flabbergasting. What world do you live in?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:26:46  
Ramuh.Urial said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

I do want to point out this is a land with freedom of religion....or so we claim.

So? We have our own laws.

If they want to live by their their ancestors' laws and standards and such, then move the *** out or go through the due process we have to change America.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 01:28:32  
The problem isn't Muslims in general its extremists... the problem with peoples views is you can't tell the difference just by looking at them... It should hardly be a surprise that the fear is there especially when its being fed to us all the time...

Also I'd like to point out silvaria I don't think anyone is really disputing the fact that his decision was based on the fact that she was wearing the burqa... People are speaking more on how thy feel things should be and such...
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 01:29:23  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

I'm just stuns me that you refuse to see that this obviously could have nothing to do with religion. And how do you know he didn't? The article and whole issue is being handled rather one-sidedly. In fact the actual thing is kinda glossed over.

I'm still waiting for you to actually see the valid reasons presented.

More importantly it doesn't matter if she really is or he really thought she was. The idea that she could easily be concealing something and therefore a threat is there and that is enough of a reason to give

1. She said the store manager approached, but oddly didn't want to help. He told the family that he wouldn't sell them a mattress for security reasons, she said.

2. Other retailers at the shopping plaza on Highlands Boulevard Drive in Manchester said it's not unusual to see women fully covered. The Dar Ul Islam mosque, the most established of about a dozen mosques in the St. Louis area, is just a few miles away.

3. There have been other recent complaints in the region. Advocates said emotions are running high since a Muslim community center was proposed near ground zero in New York and since a Florida pastor burned a Quran, the holy book of the Islamic faith.

4. Shaken after the visit to Mattress Firm in March, the Hussaini family went to another company in Brentwood, then another in Manchester.

"They let me try out all the beds and they were fine," she said.

So...he had no legitimate reason for thinking she was a security risk as wearing a burqa isn't exactly an anomoly in the area, and she had no other problems with any other store...

And you really don't see the possibility that it's religious discrimination on his part...?

I don't know what else to say, lol...in my opinion, you are being willfully obtuse.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:30:23  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

Awesome xenophobia, and irrelevant to boot.

My point was that Muslim societies seem to function just fine even when wearing the burqa is commonplace. Surely, identifying people wearing a burqa must not be that difficult. As it happens, it's really not.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:31:04  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

My point was that Muslim societies seem to function just fine even when wearing the burqa is commonplace. Surely, identifying people wearing a burqa must not be that difficult. As it happens, it's really not.

It's funny because you're calling a xenophile a xenophobe.
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:31:58  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

No, really. O.o you can't see the merits of the argument? I mean, both groups have a history of violence. Though, I think the group that wears the Burka has killed more people.

Standard arguments for wearing the burqa are steeped in rhetoric about racial superiority, killing other races so as to keep the supreme race's society 'pure', etc., etc.?

The fact that you consider these two outfits analogous just reveals how deeply prejudiced you are against Muslims. That you think the burqa is a violent outfit astounds me. Do you even know anything about the Qu'ran?

There ARE no merits to this argument. Comparing the burqa to a KKK hood in order to 'reveal' why the former is a 'security risk' is just flabbergasting. What world do you live in?

Something tells me you don't get it that we're having a bit of fun with your logic. That you steadfastly deny there is no correlation between the two hooded garments worn by groups that have killed people WHILE wearing the hooded garments is... funny.

You should just say.... "The KKK should be allowed to wear their uniform in any establishment despite their past history of violence while wearing the uniform." and get it over with. Its the only way you'll clearly win this argument. Really. Arguing against this argument is just a trap.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 01:33:08  
I doubt she was a security threat. I woulda sold her the mattress too personally.

I'm just arguing against all of this forsaken give minoritys and muslims attention discrimination white people are bigots ***

Right! This was the point that I was trying to make when I mentioned my experience with Muslims in Frankfurt, Germany!

Bigotry is not exclusively WASP thing!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:33:11  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

Well, you are acting pretty xenophobic. Apparently you think foreigners should ditch their culture the second they come to our country.

Anyways, you still haven't addressed my points. I've pointed out that wearing a burqa isn't necessarily a problem for identification, and that they're actually less effective at concealing weapons than "regular" clothing. So where's the danger?

'Cause Bombs?
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 01:35:07  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

I'm not sure how our laws effect their way of living seeing as our the discussion was about what they wear. Our laws should in no way effect that. Also you could say our laws share a lot in common with our English fathers and their beliefs. The point still stands that to set laws that would interfere with things like religious attire would be against what this country was formed to be seeing as it was founded by religious pilgrims after all.

So? We have our own laws.

If they want to live by their their ancestors' laws and standards and such, then move the *** out or go through the due process we have to change America.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:36:11  
No, I'm saying that they shouldn't expect to be able to live-to-the-T as they were because we're different and if they don't like it then they can either go through the process and change the law and lay of the land or go back to the way they want to live where they can live that way.

You said it's not an ID problem; many of us say that it sure as hell is because it conceals mostly everything. Where's your point? Your word verse mine? That's awesome.

As a previous altar server I know what it's like to be in robes and I know it's quite a bit easier to hide something strapped to my leg in a robe and no one would know, but it would bulge in a jacket.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 01:36:30  
Well, you are acting pretty xenophobic. Apparently you think foreigners should ditch their culture the second they come to our country.

You make it seem as though every Western nation is suppose to give up their culture to accommodate to others!!!
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:36:32  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

She's in America, right?

Anyways, you still haven't addressed my points. I've pointed out that wearing a burqa isn't necessarily a problem for identification, and that they're actually less effective at concealing weapons than "regular" clothing. So where's the danger?

'Cause Bombs?

The Burqa is a problem with identification. Honest. You can't see their face, their hair color, their build, if they're wearing 6 inch heals to hide their height. Its really a very clever outfit if you want to hide your identity. There is no outfit you could hide your identity so well in and have so few people try to make you take it off to be identified.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:36:56  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

You should just say.... "The KKK should be allowed to wear their uniform in any establishment despite their past history of violence while wearing the uniform." and get it over with. Its the only way you'll clearly win this argument. Really. Arguing against this argument is just a trap.

But they shouldn't. A KKK hood is a declaration of a deliberate intention to hurt people who aren't white, and it's worn exclusively for that purpose. Wearing a burqa is a sign of religious modesty, or oppression, or whatever you want to think. It's not an intent to -- like I said before -- lynch the black dude behind the counter.

If a guy in a KKK hood walked into a Mattress Firm and requested to buy a bed from the black manager on duty, he would be perfectly justified in being scared as ***, calling the cops, and telling him to get the hell off the premises. Telling a housewife who's trying to relieve neck issues that she can't buy a bed because her burqa makes her a security risk just isn't the same thing.

I know you can't appreciate this difference, but it's real.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:38:47  
zahrah said:

You make it seem as though every Western nation is suppose to give up their culture to accommodate to others!!!

Wait, what exactly am I asking people to give up?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:38:59  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

But they shouldn't. A KKK hood is a declaration of a deliberate intention to hurt people who aren't white, and it's worn exclusively for that purpose. Wearing a burqa is a sign of religious modesty, or oppression, or whatever you want to think. It's not an intent to -- like I said before -- lynch the black dude behind the counter.

If a guy in a KKK hood walked into a Mattress Firm and requested to buy a bed from the black manager on duty, he would be perfectly justified in being scared as ***, calling the cops, and telling him to get the hell off the premises. Telling a housewife who's trying to relieve neck issues that she can't buy a bed because her burqa makes her a security risk just isn't the same thing.

Maybe it's just me, but the only difference I find is that you're being a bigot towards the white KKK people, and kissing some minority ***.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 01:39:03  
But as I said earlier I could easily hide a gun strong enough to kill someone in my jeans and a baggy shirt if I cared to. Yeah they could in a sense hide a larger weapon or explosives. But lets be honest when you are talking about items with the ability of killing multiple people and if someone has made their mind up to do it, they wont let clothes be the reason they get stopped.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:39:26  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

No, really. A KKK outfit isn't a declaration of intent to harm. It may have been used by some people that took it as an intent to harm but originally the garment was worn for ceremonies. Just because a group of people wore it while persecuting black people doesn't make the garment itself evil.

Also, just because someone is bigoted doesn't mean they're not entitled to BE bigoted. They just can't ACT on it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-04-17 01:40:35  
zahrah said:

I'm just arguing against all of this forsaken give minoritys and muslims attention discrimination white people are bigots ***

Right! This was the point that I was trying to make when I mentioned my experience with Muslims in Frankfurt, Germany!

Didn't you know? White people are the only ones who can't ever be the victims of racism or racial profiling. Damn crackers.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:41:25  
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
zahrah said:

Didn't you know? White people are the only ones who can't ever be the victims of racism or racial profiling. Damn crackers.

This x10000000000. I get it all the time in Hawaii, where the white population is around 20%.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:43:48  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'm just stuns me that you refuse to see that this obviously could have nothing to do with religion. And how do you know he didn't? The article and whole issue is being handled rather one-sidedly. In fact the actual thing is kinda glossed over.

I'm still waiting for you to actually see the valid reasons presented.

More importantly it doesn't matter if she really is or he really thought she was. The idea that she could easily be concealing something and therefore a threat is there and that is enough of a reason to give
1. She said the store manager approached, but oddly didn't want to help. He told the family that he wouldn't sell them a mattress for security reasons, she said.

2. Other retailers at the shopping plaza on Highlands Boulevard Drive in Manchester said it's not unusual to see women fully covered. The Dar Ul Islam mosque, the most established of about a dozen mosques in the St. Louis area, is just a few miles away.

3. There have been other recent complaints in the region. Advocates said emotions are running high since a Muslim community center was proposed near ground zero in New York and since a Florida pastor burned a Quran, the holy book of the Islamic faith.

4. Shaken after the visit to Mattress Firm in March, the Hussaini family went to another company in Brentwood, then another in Manchester.
"They let me try out all the beds and they were fine," she said.

So...he had no legitimate reason for thinking she was a security risk as wearing a burqa isn't exactly an anomoly in the area, and she had no other problems with any other store... And you really don't see the possibility that it's religious discrimination on his part...? I don't know what else to say, lol...in my opinion, you are being willfully obtuse.
1. That's just what she said. What about his side of the story? And so what he thought she was suspicious that's kinda the whole point of the arguement.

2. So what if it's common?

3. Hmmm sounds like alot of people share his believes than. Maybe they should accept the societal standards of where they live.

4. No one thought anything of the guys who hijacked the planes on 9/11 clearly there must be no reason to think they were a security risk than.

She had no problems in any other store but clearly there are alot of other problems there by your own quotes of that article thereby countering your own arguement. I see that it is a possibility. I don't see that it is the only possibility. Unlike you who is unwilling to see that there are actually other possibilities. So who exactly is the one being willfully obtuse one here again?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:45:08  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

No, really. A KKK outfit isn't a declaration of intent to harm. It may have been used by some people that took it as an intent to harm but originally the garment was worn for ceremonies. Just because a group of people wore it while persecuting black people doesn't make the garment itself evil.

Also, just because someone is bigoted doesn't mean they're not entitled to BE bigoted. They just can't ACT on it.

So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him?

Now, tell me how a housewife wearing a burqa poses the same threat.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:45:46  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

So, tell me, why would a KKK guy wear a KKK hood into a mattress firm where a black manager was on duty, if not to declare his intention to harm him?

Now, tell me how a housewife wearing a burqa poses the same threat.

Maybe he had just gotten out of the rally and needed a new mattress. Duh.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 17 18 19