Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 17 18 19
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:03:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
When's the last time you heard of a nun actually bombing a place?
So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory?

I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.
Nope. People who don't do anything wont be considered dangerous. You dress yourself to look like someone who does in fact do stuff like that sometimes guess what people are going to be suspicious of you especially when you can easily hide so much in there.

The nun gets away with only because of the level of trust they have gained thru the years. Not to mention you can still see there faces and that makes a huge difference when being able to trust someone. Most people give away what they are about thru their facial expressions so someone that isn't hiding them and isn't looking around suspciously is inherently less suspicious than someone you can't tell if they are or not.

People are afraid of the unknown.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:03:19  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory?

I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.

No its every bit discrimination, but everyone discriminates, so whats the problem? If you drive down the back streets of harlem in the midle of the niht and lock your doors because you see 5 black guys in shifty clothing, you're discriminating against them. Doesn't mean its the wrong thing to do one bit.

A note on the Muslim woman, it IS her choice to wear the type of clothing she wears isn't it? Is it the clerk's fault that her clothing is a symbol or what it is a symbol of?

lol It's not wrong to discriminate against black people because they REALLY ARE dangerous? Listen to you! Sometimes I love this forum.

It's the clerks fault that he chose to deny her service based on his beliefs about what her clothes symbolizes, yes, it absolutely is. And it's also illegal, which is no doubt why he got fired: because I have a hard time imagining a more clear-cut legal case. They would win hands-down, no contest.

He got fired because this made a public scene and the company wants to save it's face.

The heads of that company couldn't give two *** shits about this otherwise.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:03:38  
The guy wearing a KKK hood presumably is a real security risk. A housewife with her family of 4 isn't.

I mean, we're talking about an outfit worn to express the religious belief that your body is sacred, yada yada. Not that the dude behind the counter should be lynched.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:05:39  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
If everyone started wearing bikinis in the middle east. Yes. Everyone. Even that guy with the beard down to his ***. Yes. THAT guy with the *** beard. I'm telling you.

Bikinis will save lives.
Very nice!

Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:05:58  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Nope. People who don't do anything wont be considered dangerous. You dress yourself to look like someone who does in fact do stuff like that sometimes guess what people are going to be suspicious of you especially when you can easily hide so much in there.

All I keep hearing in these threads is: "Muslim women wearing burqas really are a security threat, therefore what he did was not discrimination."

I mean, if you guys truly believe a lady going shopping with her husband and 3 children is a danger to society, OK, but there's something wrong with your eyesight.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:06:34  
The guy wearing a KKK hood presumably is a real security risk. A housewife with her family of 4 isn't.

I mean, we're talking about an outfit worn to express the religious belief that your body is sacred, yada yada. Not that the dude behind the counter should be lynched.

Why is the guy with the KKK hood a secruity risk? Have you seen him personally do anything before? Or are you talking about what KKK has done in the past?

Oh look, muslims have bombed a shitton of ***in the past. Hypocrisy much?
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 01:06:35  
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Sorry you guys have bad experience with police officers, but that is no reason why the manager of a store who thought his life was in danger didn't turn to the one source that may have helped him.

Sorry you're making generalizations. I totally respect police officers and have some that are friends of mine. Why is it that you think we all have bad experiences with the police?

Hohenheim said, "Because the police don't do anything." and before Dasva edited his post, he simply quoted Hohenheim's post, indicating agreement that police don't do anything.

Those are the people to whom I was referring.

Not sure why you took it personally, since it wasn't directed at you.

Sorry you made an assumption. 8)
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:08:13  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

All I keep hearing in these threads is: "Muslim women wearing burqas really are a security threat, therefore what he did was not discrimination."

I mean, if you guys truly believe a lady going shopping with her husband and 3 children is a danger to society, OK, but there's something wrong with your eyesight.

It's not wrong to own a rocket launcher if I don't fire it, right?

Seriously. The garb is disrespectful and oppressive and you can hide your identity and weaponry on it very easily. What's there to like about it?

Honestly, the potential to abuse is too high.

Either give me my rocket launcher or take away the burqa.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:08:33  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory? I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.

And what if they weren't really children and he wasn't really the husband? What if they were but were just in on it?

50-60 years ago who would've believed little kids were a danger... and then they started hugging GIs after pulling grenade pins
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:08:55  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:

He got fired because this made a public scene and the company wants to save it's face.

lol Really? You call them up on speed-dial and ask them that?

I had a notary sign a statement the other day so that I could request a new copy of my birth certificate. A lady actually came out to double-check my IDs and make sure that I wasn't asking for a power of attorney or anything like that because "they have to make sure they can't get sued." You have no idea how much money companies spend every year to prevent lawsuits. And, like I said, this is about as clear-cut as they get. Dude denied her a sale because she's a Muslim, BY HIS OWN ADMISSION. It doesn't get any easier than this.
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:08:59  

So because you think this guy is a security risk based on your bigoted view of him, you're going to deny him service? really?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:09:39  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Personally I want the first. But the 2nd is much more reasonable
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 01:11:29  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

It's not wrong to own a rocket launcher if I don't fire it, right?

Seriously. The garb is disrespectful and oppressive and you can hide your identity and weaponry on it very easily. What's there to like about it?

Honestly, the potential to abuse is too high.

The size of the gun doesn't really effect it's ability to kill. I could easily hide a fair caliber pistol in my jeans.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 01:11:35  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
ITT only people that agree with me are worth joining this thread

Nope, it just stuns me that so many people refuse to see that this is obviously based on his idea that all Muslims are terrorists, and seem to think he just thought a woman with her husband and three children was actually a security risk but he did absolutely NOTHING in retaliation against this risk.

I'm still waiting for anyone to give me a valid reason why she was a security risk, -other- than wearing a Muslim burqa.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:11:59  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory? I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.

And what if they weren't really children and he wasn't really the husband? What if they were but were just in on it?

50-60 years ago who would've believed little kids were a danger... and then they started hugging GIs after pulling grenade pins

Are...are you shitting me?

"BREAKING NEWS: A suicide bomber attacked a Mattress Firm in Houston today. Store management would have noticed something was up, but she was cleverly disguised as a harmless housewife by bringing along a fake husband and three small children. Police say they have learned the hard lesson well and will be smarter in the future."

I mean, did you really just pull a The Onion on me?

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:12:05  
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Sorry you guys have bad experience with police officers, but that is no reason why the manager of a store who thought his life was in danger didn't turn to the one source that may have helped him.
Sorry you're making generalizations. I totally respect police officers and have some that are friends of mine. Why is it that you think we all have bad experiences with the police?
Hohenheim said, "Because the police don't do anything." and before Dasva edited his post, he simply quoted Hohenheim's post, indicating agreement that police don't do anything.

I mostly added to it. But yes the idc where you are it wont take but a few calls like that before the cops stop responding. There is a difference between thinking you are in serious danger and that someone poses a risk.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:12:44  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:

lol Really? You call them up on speed-dial and ask them that?

I had a notary sign a statement the other day so that I could request a new copy of my birth certificate. A lady actually came out to double-check my IDs and make sure that I wasn't asking for a power of attorney or anything like that because "they have to make sure they can't get sued." You have no idea how much money companies spend every year to prevent lawsuits. And, like I said, this is about as clear-cut as they get. Dude denied her a sale because she's a Muslim, BY HIS OWN ADMISSION. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Which is exactly what I'm saying. He only got fired because it's public and made a scene. The people at the top don't give a flying *** about muslims; they only want their money. Hence, fire the guy to appease the minority ***-kissers.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:13:09  
Ramuh.Urial said:
The size of the gun doesn't really effect it's ability to kill. I could easily hide a fair caliber pistol in my jeans.
I bet you do ;)
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 01:14:06  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

I mostly added to it. But yes the idc where you are it wont take but a few calls like that before the cops stop responding. There is a difference between thinking you are in serious danger and that someone poses a risk.

I don't know where you live, but you should consider moving if your police force is the modern equivalent of the Keystone Cops. Any police officer who refuses to respond to a call because he thinks a potential terrorist isn't a risk doesn't deserve to wear a badge.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 01:14:48  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

So because you think this guy is a security risk based on your bigoted view of him, you're going to deny him service? really?

You're right, a guy walking around in a KKK hood is totally harmless and I'm a bigot for saying otherwise. As opposed to a housewife in a burqa. She's packing a bomb, yo. That's just the facts.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:14:52  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Are...are you shitting me?

"BREAKING NEWS: A suicide bomber attacked a Mattress Firm in Houston today. Store management would have noticed something was up, but she was cleverly disguised as a harmless housewife by bringing along a fake husband and three small children. Police say they have learned the hard lesson well and will be smarter in the future."

I mean, did you really just pull a The Onion on me?

No, I'm talking about using tools. Get it right.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 01:15:30  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
I bet you do ;)
My point being how often do you see someone go in and rob a gas station or any other store wearing traditional Muslim attire as compared to how many people you see walk in with a pistol concealed in some semi baggy jeans with a t-shirt?
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 01:16:02  
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Actually, I don't think anyone on here takes these threads too seriously. Sorry to burst your bubble. Just putting my stance on law enforcement out there to show that your statement was brash.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 01:16:37  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

You're right, a guy walking around in a KKK hood is totally harmless and I'm a bigot for saying otherwise. As opposed to a housewife in a burqa. She's packing a bomb, yo. That's just the facts.

She's a housewife, congrats.

I bet all the muslim terrorist bombers also were fathers or mothers with children too. Your point is?
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 01:17:36  
I'm just debating that burqas are *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, no matter what the religion says.

I really don't think at all that she was a threat, and as I stated originally that the guy who kicked her out was a retard.

I'm also debating that he provided a "valid reason" to do so.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:17:39  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
ITT only people that agree with me are worth joining this thread
Nope, it just stuns me that so many people refuse to see that this is obviously based on his idea that all Muslims are terrorists, and seem to think he just thought a woman with her husband and three children was actually a security risk but he did absolutely NOTHING in retaliation against this risk.

I'm still waiting for anyone to give me a valid reason why she was a security risk, -other- than wearing a Muslim burqa.
I'm just stuns me that you refuse to see that this obviously could have nothing to do with religion. And how do you know he didn't? The article and whole issue is being handled rather one-sidedly. In fact the actual thing is kinda glossed over.

I'm still waiting for you to actually see the valid reasons presented.

More importantly it doesn't matter if she really is or he really thought she was. The idea that she could easily be concealing something and therefore a threat is there and that is enough of a reason to give
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 01:18:29  
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Actually, I don't think anyone on here takes these threads too seriously. Sorry to burst your bubble. Just putting my stance on law enforcement out there to show that your statement was brash.

Actually, -their- statement that cops don't do anything was brash. I disagreed with it, because I have every bit of respect for the men and women who try their best to protect the public.

And you're not bursting my bubble, I'm having a blast. But thanks for the attempt at sympathy. 8)
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:18:48  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

No, really. O.o you can't see the merits of the argument? I mean, both groups have a history of violence. Though, I think the group that wears the Burka has killed more people.
By zahrah 2011-04-17 01:20:03  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Again, thank you! You beat me to it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 01:20:36  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
The guy wearing a KKK hood presumably is a real security risk. A housewife with her family of 4 isn't. I mean, we're talking about an outfit worn to express the religious belief that your body is sacred, yada yada. Not that the dude behind the counter should be lynched.
No, really. O.o you can't see the merits of the argument? I mean, both groups have a history of violence. Though, I think the group that wears the Burka has killed more people.
I can garuntee it. And the KKK is rooted in religion too. But other people that are clearly of the same religion aren't treated the same way a guy in a KKK outfit is for good reason just as a random arab in there wouldn't have been treated the same as this woman
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 17 18 19