Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:30:11  
LOL...all I'm asking, and I can't seem to get a straight answer, is if this man TRULY believed this woman was a security risk, why didn't he call the police immediately?

If he'd had dealings with her and her family in the past which led him to believe they were physically threatening, why didn't he simply say, "Alright, one moment and I'll be back to help you" and then go call the police?

Hard to believe that a man who believed his life might be in danger would simply walk away without contacting the authorities...
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 00:31:02  
Because the police don't do anything.
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:31:30  
Asura.Silvaria said:

The Constitution is in place to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. I have no desire to return to the days of segregation.

The constitution isn't there to protect the minority from the majority; its there to protect everyone that it is right to protect as well as can be done. That the minority often needs to be protected more is only a sad reality. However, if the majority needed to be protected from the minority I'm sure the constitution would protect them. Actually, thats what the law does for the most part. It protects us from the minority of people that would do us harm. I still think they're the minority anyway. I hope they're not the majority.

Wait, if everyone hates me for this post, I'm the minority right? Wonder if I can get into college on that... Affirmative action ftw.

(10 minutes later)

Damn, I found out that *** aren't a minority.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:32:13  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:

Also calling the policy on someone is different than just not feeling safe with someone around.

I don't feel safe around half the people I see on the street... I don't have 911 on speed dial lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-04-17 00:32:24  
A couple of things I'd like to say here.

1.) Anyone who walks into a store with something that covers 90% of their face is immediately suspicious to me, regardless of the reason.

2.) 93% of communication is non-verbal. I imagine covering your face to the point where someone could not see any kind of facial expression you were making would put anyone on edge.

3.) I think burqas are ridiculous in the modern age, much the same way I think Amish clothing is ridiculous, because both reflect a time when the human body was something to be ashamed of and hidden from the world.

Naturally, any kind of general discrimination against a minority group is abhorrent. And in an ideal world, each person would be treated purely based on the merits of their actions and behavior. We don't live in an ideal world though, and especially with the kind of fear and hatred and ignorance that religions instill in people, things like this will continue to happen.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 00:33:11  
I still want to know if she thinks I'm a woman or not.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:36:43  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
That and we have too many people like you. But I will make my point
Actually, you really don't know me. I find the proclivity of so many in this nation to sue based on anything that upsets them to be absurd. I rather hope this family doesn't take that route. However, I also believe in freedom, and as such, I do not see any legitimate reason this man had for refusing them service other than religious and/or racial discrimination. The Constitution is in place to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. I have no desire to return to the days of segregation.
I don't have to know you completely. It's people with this stand that automatically assume this guy is a religious bigot and should be taken care of and sensationalize it are the problem. Yes people are sue happy and yes those are decided by a judge and not a jury but public opinion effects it alot more than people think.

You don't see a reason because you refuse to accept any possible reason. And all she had to do is not hide her entire body and would be fine. Why should the guy have to deal with someone that is hiding something?
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:38:00  

Nonsense. The first thing anyone does when they believe their life is truly in danger from a terrorist or criminal is call 9-1-1. He had ample opportunity after they left the store, and he neglected to do so.

Nice try, though. 8)
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-17 00:40:27  
Asura.Silvaria said:

Nonsense. The first thing anyone does when they believe their life is truly in danger from a terrorist or criminal is call 9-1-1. He had ample opportunity after they left the store, and he neglected to do so.

Nice try, though. 8)

I get in my Kung Fu stance and try to intimidate them into going away first.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 00:40:50  
I'm absolutely stunned some of you think this isn't about religious expression, or that the manager's actions weren't discriminatory.

If it had been an Indian lady wearing a Sari, or a Catholic nun wearing a habit, or, hell, even someone in a hoodie, this would not have happened. How do I know? Because American culture isn't filled with stereotypes about Indians or nuns hiding bombs in their clothes. This was a clear-cut case of: "Oh ***, there's a Muslim woman wearing a burqa. I r scurred."

Yes, managers have a right to refuse service because of a genuine security risk and for most other reasons excluding religious expression (among other things.) A housewife wearing a burqa going bed-shopping with her family of 4 is not a *** security risk, she's a *** housewife going bed-shopping with her family of 4. And, I'm sorry, but I don't care what your views are on the burqa: they don't entitle you to deny someone service.

This whole thread is a giant race/religion fail.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 00:44:01  
Asura.Silvaria said:

Nice try, though. 8)
I 've had my experience with this... you want to know what happened? They let them go because they had nothing on them/couldn't do anything and then I got beaten to near death by 4 guys in their 20's when I was 16...
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 00:45:20  
Asura.Silvaria said:

Nice try, though. 8)

Pft, I wouldn't call 911, wtf are they going to do for me? Or the police?

I don't trust my life in their hands tbh sadly.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:45:39  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
That and we have too many people like you. But I will make my point
Actually, you really don't know me. I find the proclivity of so many in this nation to sue based on anything that upsets them to be absurd. I rather hope this family doesn't take that route. However, I also believe in freedom, and as such, I do not see any legitimate reason this man had for refusing them service other than religious and/or racial discrimination. The Constitution is in place to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. I have no desire to return to the days of segregation.
I don't have to know you completely. It's people with this stand that automatically assume this guy is a religious bigot and should be taken care of and sensationalize it are the problem. Yes people are sue happy and yes those are decided by a judge and not a jury but public opinion effects it alot more than people think.

You don't see a reason because you refuse to accept any possible reason. And all she had to do is not hide her entire body and would be fine. Why should the guy have to deal with someone that is hiding something?

Wrong again. I am completely open to any other possible reason, but no one has offered anything believable yet.

I have worked in numerous stores and restaurants...I have no problem selling to a woman in a burqa.

I have no personal requirement that a woman show her face before I will sell her something.

If someone came in completely covered AND acting suspicious, such as reaching under their robe continuously or darting their eyes around nervously, then I would make an excuse to leave and go call the police.

Could I be wrong? Of course. I am just waiting for something to indicate that she was actually acting in a manner that classified her as a "security risk", and so far, other than the fact that she was obviously Muslim, and our nation is steeped in anti-Muslim sentiment since 9/11, it has been completely lacking.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:45:54  
When's the last time you heard of a nun actually bombing a place?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 00:48:22  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory?

I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:49:46  
Sorry you guys have bad experience with police officers, but that is no reason why the manager of a store who thought his life was in danger didn't turn to the one source that may have helped him.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:51:02  
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 00:52:17  
This is almost like having a conversation with Jet..
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:53:20  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Wrong again. I am completely open to any other possible reason, but no one has offered anything believable yet.

I have worked in numerous stores and restaurants...I have no problem selling to a woman in a burqa.

I have no personal requirement that a woman show her face before I will sell her something.

If someone came in completely covered AND acting suspicious, such as reaching under their robe continuously or darting their eyes around nervously, then I would make an excuse to leave and go call the police.

Could I be wrong? Of course. I am just waiting for something to indicate that she was actually acting in a manner that classified her as a "security risk", and so far, other than the fact that she was obviously Muslim, and our nation is steeped in anti-Muslim sentiment since 9/11, it has been completely lacking.
That's what everyone who refuses to see any other possibility says. Oh those just aren't good ones blah blah. I'm completely open to the possibility that you might not be but you've yet to offer a credible reason to believe that.

So? I'd sell guns to someone I'm pretty sure wants to use them for criminal reasons. What's your point?

Again what does what you would do have to do with anything? I have no personal requirement that a woman cover any of her body but I'm sure some would.

Good for you. How many times of the cops not doing anything would it take for you to stop?

Almost anyone who hides there body and face especially in something bulky is suspicious. How do I not know they are doing something? I can't see it
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:54:19  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Exactly! Or a Hindu woman in a Sari? Those robes do NOT cover their faces either!
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:54:57  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Kanjirou, thank you for joining this thread...finally, someone else able to see that when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's a *** duck...
ITT only people that agree with me are worth joining this thread
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:55:41  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

So because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" isn't discriminatory?

I think it's actually the exact other way around: because people have heard of Muslim women in burqas bombing places, refusing to sell a bed to a Muslim woman wearing a burqa because she's a "security risk" is the very DEFINITION of discrimination.

Men in burqas have bombed people! Just saying...
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:55:59  
Anyway, its a tad ridiculous for people to be able to cover their faces 24/7 when in businesses. In all seriousness. I understand that its a religious thing to cover their faces so they don't tempt men into sin with their wicked lust inspiring faces and hair... but... really. I know most businesses would make people who wear ski masks or anything covering their faces take off their facial wear. That its a religious thing... is fine.

Ya know the funny thing that would make everyone safe from Suicide Bombers? If everyone started wearing bikinis in the middle east. Yes. Everyone. Even that guy with the beard down to his ***. Yes. THAT guy with the *** beard.

I'm telling you. Bikinis will save lives.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 00:56:05  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Exactly! Or a Hindu woman in a Sari? Those robes do NOT cover their faces either!

What's your argument, here, exactly? That "Muslim women in burqas really are security threats, so it's OK to deny them a sale"?

I mean, is this really the road you want to take?
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-17 00:56:40  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

No its every bit discrimination, but everyone discriminates, so whats the problem? If you drive down the back streets of harlem in the midle of the niht and lock your doors because you see 5 black guys in shifty clothing, you're discriminating against them. Doesn't mean its the wrong thing to do one bit.

A note on the Muslim woman, it IS her choice to wear the type of clothing she wears isn't it? Is it the clerk's fault that her clothing is a symbol or what it is a symbol of?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 00:57:15  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Men in burqas have bombed people! Just saying...

Awesome, so since these stereotypes are actually TRUE (is that really what you're arguing?) it's not discrimination to deny sales based on them?
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:58:27  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Sorry you guys have bad experience with police officers, but that is no reason why the manager of a store who thought his life was in danger didn't turn to the one source that may have helped him.

Sorry you're making generalizations. I totally respect police officers and have some that are friends of mine. Why is it that you think we all have bad experiences with the police?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 00:59:56  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

No its every bit discrimination, but everyone discriminates, so whats the problem? If you drive down the back streets of harlem in the midle of the niht and lock your doors because you see 5 black guys in shifty clothing, you're discriminating against them. Doesn't mean its the wrong thing to do one bit.

A note on the Muslim woman, it IS her choice to wear the type of clothing she wears isn't it? Is it the clerk's fault that her clothing is a symbol or what it is a symbol of?

lol It's not wrong to discriminate against black people because they REALLY ARE dangerous? Listen to you! Sometimes I love this forum.

It's the clerks fault that he chose to deny her service based on his beliefs about what her clothes symbolizes, yes, it absolutely is. And it's also illegal, which is no doubt why he got fired: because I have a hard time imagining a more clear-cut legal case. They would win hands-down, no contest.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 01:00:25  
So. If a man wearing a KKK hood walked into a black guys store and the black guy refused to sell him a bed, you'd have the black guy fired?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 01:02:16  
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Sorry you're making generalizations. I totally respect police officers and have some that are friends of mine. Why is it that you think we all have bad experiences with the police?
Its not all about having bad experiences... its that they really can't do anything to help in certain situations... their hands are tied by the law...

Though in this case they can at least defuse the situation at that particular time..
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 17 18 19