Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 00:01:19  
zahrah said:
I like how first hand accounts of racism are totally dismissed here. How many of you actually know Muslims?

My best friend and previous romantic pursuit was Muslim.

Romantic pursuit before that was, too.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 00:01:44  
zahrah said:
I like how first hand accounts of racism are totally dismissed here. How many of you actually know Muslims?
/
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 00:02:16  
zahrah said:

My uncle is muslim.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-17 00:06:00  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Oh, please...it was hardly -the- dumbest thing you've ever heard, lol...engage in hyperbole much? 8D

Anyhow, as I've already said, it is illegal in this country to discriminate based purely on religion, race, or gender.

Yes, it is a problem, which is why anti-discrimination laws are in place. I suspect you've never been subjected to blatant discrimination, so it's easy for you to dismiss it. I honestly hope for your sake, you never are, which is why I support such laws.

Well ok maybe not the dumbest, but it's a pretty un-enlightened view. How can you honestly carry such shortsighted view of freedom? Where is the harm being administered by refusing to sell you something?

Also I know we have such laws, those laws are stupid! Anti-discrimination laws are on the same level as hate crime legislation.

No-one has the right to exist without being offended. If I don't want to sell to X-group of people or only want to sell to x-group of people because I'm scared of them or I simply don't like the clothes they're wearing, it is my right to do so.
Racist.
lol
:D
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:07:03  
How DARE you want to fire that guy for being a bigot? Thats discrimination.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-17 00:07:14  
I think I may be Muslim.
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:07:43  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
You're not telling me that if I open up a store that I should be forced to sell to anyone that walks through my doors even if i don't want to?

I'm saying that if you are going to advertise to the public without qualifications, then you are not allowed to discriminate based on race, religion, or gender. That is the law of the land. If you don't like it, you're certainly welcome to go try one of those countries that do allow blatant discrimination. I suspect you'd quickly come to appreciate the difference.

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Given that you can disagree with a lifestyle by not selling to them, yes consenting to sell is agreeing.

Really? So even though I'm an atheist, by selling to a Christian, I've agreed that salvation through Jesus is the only path to God?

I mean...really?
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:08:29  
Good. Glad some people here have solid ground! Employer during college was a Muslim. Loved his wife, but not him.

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Did you have a good experience with that guy? In my personal experiences with Islamic men, not all, they were very disrespectful.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 00:08:39  
No, but you're consenting to their way of life.

"I'm okay with you being a Christian, I don't care."
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:09:04  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
zahrah said:
/
Also who hasn't known a muslim?

***I knew a guy who had a hard time regetting his security clearance because he converted to muslim. But he eventually got it while the guy who was a dual canadian/american citizen was forced to get rid of his canadian citizenship
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 00:09:34  
zahrah said:
Good. Glad some people here have solid ground! Employer during college was a Muslim. Loved his wife, but not him.

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Did you have a good experience with that guy? In my personal experiences with Islamic men, not all, they were all very disrespectful.

Are you making fun of me or serious? >_____________>
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:11:45  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Really? So even though I'm an atheist, by selling to a Christian, I've agreed that salvation through Jesus is the only path to God?

I mean...really?

Why do you continually think it's a matter of their religion? What if he has had prior experiences with her or her family?
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-17 00:11:55  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
zahrah said:

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Did you have a good experience with that guy? In my personal experiences with Islamic men, not all, they were all very disrespectful.

Are you making fun of me or serious? >_____________>
LOOOOOOOOOOOL
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:12:59  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
No, but you're consenting to their way of life.

"I'm okay with you being a Christian, I don't care."

Of course I'm consenting to their way of life, lol...this is America. They are free to be Christian if they so choose, because freedom is one of the ideals upon which we are based.

The point is, the manager of that store had no -legal- right to refuse a sale based purely on the fact that he may disagree with their Muslim way of life. He was free to DO it, but not legally.

That is the crux of the matter. Sure, he can do it...but he's going to lose his job, so it doesn't seem overly intelligent...unless he likes being unemployed. 8)
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:13:41  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
zahrah said:

Did their fathers threaten them with death for sullying the family name? Funny that people are upset over not being able to buy a bed. I'm sure some more deserving mattress company sold them a comfortable bed and the employee was at least chastised.

The bottom line is that under current law that this was discrimination. Whether that's right or not is a moot point unless you're going to start a case with the supreme court.

We all agree, the most prevalently violent group of people in the world right now are religious people. Thankfully, we have laws protecting them from us.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:14:27  
I think once I'm well off I will buy a store and refuse service to people at random. But offer such low prices that people want to come anyways just to see the ***storm that happens when I turn away someone who is going out of there way to display there religion or is a minority but no one care about all the others I also turn away
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:14:34  
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

I mean...really?

Why do you continually think it's a matter of their religion? What if he has had prior experiences with her or her family?

Do you have any evidence of this? If not, it's pure supposition. I could just as equally say, "Well, maybe he had a bad dream last night that an evil Muslim family was going to come to his store and give everyone the flu, and he was only thinking of the health of his employees"...yeah, I could take a wild guess in that department, but doesn't make much sense without evidence. ^,^
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 00:14:59  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
zahrah said:

Did their fathers threaten them with death for sullying the family name? Funny that people are upset over not being able to buy a bed. I'm sure some more deserving mattress company sold them a comfortable bed and the employee was at least chastised.

The bottom line is that under current law that this was discrimination. Whether that's right or not is a moot point unless you're going to start a case with the supreme court.

We all agree, the most prevalently violent group of people in the world right now are religious people. Thankfully, we have laws protecting them from us.

What? What laws are protecting us from Muslim Extremists? We cater to every minority whim.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:16:11  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I think once I'm well off I will buy a store and refuse service to people at random. But offer such low prices that people want to come anyways just to see the ***storm that happens when I turn away someone who is going out of there way to display there religion or is a minority but no one care about all the others I also turn away

Heh...I hope you have good lawyers, too, because in this sue-happy nation, you're undoubtedly going to meet with many lawsuits. Consider the price of lawyers, you best be VERY well off. 8D
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:16:15  
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

I mean...really?
Do you have any evidence of this? If not, it's pure supposition. I could just as equally say, "Well, maybe he had a bad dream last night that an evil Muslim family was going to come to his store and give everyone the flu, and he was only thinking of the health of his employees"...yeah, I could take a wild guess in that department, but doesn't make much sense without evidence. ^,^
Do you have any proof it was about religion? If not, it's pure supposition. etc
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:16:15  
No no, read the wording. We have laws protecting them from us.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:17:00  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Heh...I hope you have good lawyers, too, because in this sue-happy nation, you're undoubtedly going to meet with many lawsuits. Consider the price of lawyers, you best be VERY well off. 8D
That and we have too many people like you. But I will make my point
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-17 00:17:36  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
No no, read the wording. We have laws protecting them from us.

Oh oops.

Still doesn't change the fact that everyone caters to every minority and religious nut's whims.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:18:04  
Do you realize that if someone with an explosive vest walked into a room with a bomb strapped to their chest but didn't explode it and were captured without being seen trying to detonate it that they would probably be charged with felony possession and not attempted murder?

Like I said, laws protecting them from us.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-17 00:22:40  
Its like everything else here... laws are made to protect those who need it, therefore making it necassary and then many others abuse said laws to benefit themselves...
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-17 00:22:52  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

I mean...really?

As I already said, if you have any idea why the man called her a "security risk" that had nothing to do with her obvious Muslim garb, I would love to hear it.

Bahamut.Dasva said:

That and we have too many people like you. But I will make my point

Actually, you really don't know me. I find the proclivity of so many in this nation to sue based on anything that upsets them to be absurd. I rather hope this family doesn't take that route. However, I also believe in freedom, and as such, I do not see any legitimate reason this man had for refusing them service other than religious and/or racial discrimination.

The Constitution is in place to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. I have no desire to return to the days of segregation.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:23:05  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

I mean...really?

Thank you!
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 00:25:09  
Also, I'm a bit amused at how amazed everyone is at seeing someone in this country being racist/bigoted. After all we have a long and illustrious history of racism and bigotry like every other country in the world.

If for one year I don't see a story about a racist or bigot I'll walk around in slack-jawed amazement for the rest of my life. I swear.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:25:20  
You know if you physically try to stop someone from stealing stuff from a store you will get fired and you or most likely the store could get sued even if all you do was block there way?

I had a friend that worked at best buys as one of those guys that just stands around looking intimidating to discourage thfs. And yeah almost everytime it was a ghetto looking black guy. Well at least on the big stuff. I bet you if anyone brought it up that he would question a black guy carrying a huge tv out of a store even if he didn't see him buy it they would've fired him and call it discrimatinator. And yes one time he caught a guy actually trying to carry out a large screen tv. He even had a receipt to make it seem legit... except it was for a few weeks before that he had already returned lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 00:29:10  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
zahrah said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Really? So even though I'm an atheist, by selling to a Christian, I've agreed that salvation through Jesus is the only path to God? I mean...really?
As I already said, if you have any idea why the man called her a "security risk" that had nothing to do with her obvious Muslim garb, I would love to hear it.
Because people that are hiding something usually have something to hide? Because guess what it does happen. Who knows what's concealed under there. If a guy came in a huge bulky trenchcoat I'd also be worried. In fact more so lol.

Why do alot of stores ask kids to leave there backpacks at the front?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 18 19