Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:11:07  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
It doesn't matter if it is a "sign of oppression"...this is the so-called Land of the Free, and if that woman wants to wear religious clothing, where is it written in the Constitution that some paranoid store manager has the right to call her a "security" risk and refuse to sell her a mattress? I must have missed that part, could you point it out to me?

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So a woman is free to wear any religious symbol she wants but the store owner/clerk isn't free to sell a mattress to whomever he wants?

I don't necessarily agree with what he did, but really what is the problem?

Oh, please...it was hardly -the- dumbest thing you've ever heard, lol...engage in hyperbole much? 8D

Anyhow, as I've already said, it is illegal in this country to discriminate based purely on religion, race, or gender.

Yes, it is a problem, which is why anti-discrimination laws are in place. I suspect you've never been subjected to blatant discrimination, so it's easy for you to dismiss it. I honestly hope for your sake, you never are, which is why I support such laws.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Personally no... People are free to do what they wish as long as it's not harming someone or say in this case, taking away the possibility of that person being able to obtain a mattress... if the man that murdered your family walks in and wants to buy a mattress would you sell to him? I mean i know that's a fairly radical example but you did say anyone...

Either way its a terrible business position to take and it seems silly to me...

In any case it was not the companies desired position and they fired the guy so I don't see what the big problem is...

Ah...I didn't realize that a public store didn't mean -everyone-, only those who were deemed worthy by the management, lol...

And if a man murdered my entire family, I would expect him to be in prison for the rest of his life. But if by some horrible chance he walked into the store in which I was a salesperson, no, I would not sell to him, I would find someone else, because despite my feelings about him, he has the right to shop in that store. It would be a bit melodramatic of me to demand management kick him out of the store entirely.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-16 23:11:17  
Asura.Silvaria said:

Well, you and I rarely agree, but thank you for saying this so aptly.

Aww, c'mon. We had one disagreement over marijuana, I think. Otherwise, I think we've had a history of agreeing more than you might think.

Asura.Silvaria said:

When I posted this story, I was startled at the number of people who were not only OK with it, but actually seemed downright delighted.

Exactly. Many Americans have an outdated (and mostly no longer accurate) sense of superiority over the rest of the world. Europeans laugh at this, Asians shake their heads, and in many parts of the Middle East they just outright despite us.

You'd think Americans would smell the coffee and realize that our country has already fallen behind contemporary nations in education and life expectancy, among other quality of life measures. We may still have the biggest guns, tanks, and boats, but unlike during the 20th century, those things do not guarantee world power/dominance anymore ... at all.

I don't blame the Baby Boomer generation really. They were served elitist nationalist propaganda for breakfast with their eggs and coffee throughout their formative years. What really disheartens me is how many vocal young Americans there are who are apparently disillusioned into still believing that so-called "patriotism", international saber-rattling and domestic hate speech/culture are admirable and respectable. It's sad.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:12:17  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
The big deal is that it was a Muslim.

Seriously.
Oh yea.....

If he refused a white person for wearing clothing that left almost nothing revealed, it would just be that "there was some dude acting strange so he kicked him out."

If he refused some black dude for the same, we'd hear a ***about it.

Any other race doing what the white dude did in this hypothetical situation? Probably just a quiet, civil lawsuit.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-16 23:13:34  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Seriously.
Oh yea.....

If he refused a white person for wearing clothing that left almost nothing revealed, it would just be that "there was some dude acting strange so he kicked him out."

If he refused some black dude for the same, we'd hear a ***about it.

Any other race doing what the white dude did in this hypothetical situation? Probably just a quiet, civil lawsuit.

This.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:13:58  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Seriously.

I'm an atheist, so I view all religions as mythological ideologies, and I don't favor any of them over any other. I would feel the exact same way about a Christian who was denied service because of wearing a huge, gold cross around their neck. I feel the same way about religious pharmacists who refuse to sell the "morning after" pill because of their beliefs. If you are in the business of dealing with the public, you have to treat them all equally, or find another job. It's really that easy.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-16 23:15:24  
Pandemonium.Scrumpet said:
Zahrah! I lurv you! <3
SFSBF!

SCRUMP!!! HMSBF!!! Love you too!

Okay...Here's a story for you. Last time I was in Frankfurt, Germany, I was told by my cousins not to speak English under ANY circumstances because we passed a few Muslims at a bus station on our way home from the bars.

I was also told that they would have no qualms about beating the piss out of me, my cousins and their friends because of the fact that I am American. Xenophobia? Racism?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:15:27  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

Seriously.

I'm an atheist, so I view all religions as mythological ideologies, and I don't favor any of them over any other. I would feel the exact same way about a Christian who was denied service because of wearing a huge, gold cross around their neck. I feel the same way about religious pharmacists who refuse to sell the "morning after" pill because of their beliefs. If you are in the business of dealing with the public, you have to treat them all equally, or find another job. It's really that easy.

I'm an existentialistic nihilist; nice to meet you.

Nope. Your warping the justification that was stated.

See where I spoke about the other races.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:19:16  
lol ever seen those signs that say no shoes no shirt no service?
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:27:59  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

I did see them. I disagree. I have never heard of a store manager refusing service to a white man for wearing clothing that "left almost nothing revealed". But anyone who denies that anti-Muslim sentiment has been alive and well in the U. S. since 9/11 should pull their head out of the sand, and meet the Real World.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Actually, this was already mentioned by Hohenheim. And I have yet to see a sign that says, "Burqa, no service".

Have you?
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:34:59  
Oh?

Hi2u any robbery with a ski mask. "Get the *** out of here, I'm calling the cops" is the same as refusing service.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:35:14  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

I did see them. I disagree. I have never heard of a store manager refusing service to a white man for wearing clothing that "left almost nothing revealed". But anyone who denies that anti-Muslim sentiment has been alive and well in the U. S. since 9/11 should pull their head out of the sand, and meet the Real World.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Actually, this was already mentioned by Hohenheim. And I have yet to see a sign that says, "Burqa, no service".

Have you?
Why can we choose not to serve to someone who is not wearing shoes or a shirt and that's cool but you have a problem with this?
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-16 23:40:56  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Oh, please...it was hardly -the- dumbest thing you've ever heard, lol...engage in hyperbole much? 8D

Anyhow, as I've already said, it is illegal in this country to discriminate based purely on religion, race, or gender.

Yes, it is a problem, which is why anti-discrimination laws are in place. I suspect you've never been subjected to blatant discrimination, so it's easy for you to dismiss it. I honestly hope for your sake, you never are, which is why I support such laws.

Well ok maybe not the dumbest, but it's a pretty un-enlightened view. How can you honestly carry such shortsighted view of freedom? Where is the harm being administered by refusing to sell you something?

Also I know we have such laws, those laws are stupid! Anti-discrimination laws are on the same level as hate crime legislation.

No-one has the right to exist without being offended. If I don't want to sell to X-group of people or only want to sell to x-group of people because I'm scared of them or I simply don't like the clothes they're wearing, it is my right to do so.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:42:35  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Oh?

Hi2u any robbery with a ski mask. "Get the *** out of here, I'm calling the cops" is the same as refusing service.

A woman wearing a Burqa accompanied by her husband and 3 children is hardly the same as a man walking in with a ski mask on. False equivalency.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Why can we choose not to serve to someone who is not wearing shoes or a shirt and that's cool but you have a problem with this?

I have no idea why no shoes and no shirt is a no-no, but I do have a problem with blatant discrimination based on religion or race. As someone with family in Mississippi, some of whom are openly racist, I have no desire to see our nation returned to the days of segregation.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:47:38  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Well ok maybe not the dumbest, but it's a pretty un-enlightened view. How can you honestly carry such shortsighted view of freedom? Where is the harm being administered by refusing to sell you something?

Also I know we have such laws, those laws are stupid! Anti-discrimination laws are on the same level as hate crime legislation.

No-one has the right to exist without being offended. If I don't want to sell to X-group of people or only want to sell to x-group of people because I'm scared of them or I simply don't like the clothes they're wearing, it is my right to do so.

Actually, there's nothing unenlightened at all about wanting equal treatment regardless of race or religion.

If we are going to march our armies around the world in the name of spreading democracy, it's hardly fitting for us to practice open bigotry at home.

If a store wishes to discriminate against Muslims, then I wholeheartedly invite them to post a sign saying as much. I suspect, however, they will find that they don't do much business that way, which is exactly why they don't.

This isn't about the right to be offended...it's about the right of a family who simply wanted to buy a mattress to be able to go into a store that claims to be open to the public, and buy a mattress without being discriminated against for the religion...especially in a nation that ostensibly prides itself on freedom of religion.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:48:38  
Where do we draw the line? Is one persons rights more important than anothers? Should someone be forced to view the world the way someone else tells them because they say this is the proper way?
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-16 23:50:22  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Where do we draw the line? Is one persons rights more important than anothers? Should someone be forced to view the world the way someone else tells them because they say this is the proper way?

Thank you!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-16 23:50:39  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Racist.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-16 23:51:06  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Welcome to the entire world in constant struggle.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:51:34  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

OK, I have to ask, lol...how on earth is a Muslim family walking into a public store, wishing to buy a mattress, attempting to force anyone to submit to their view of the world..?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:52:42  
FALSE EQUIVALENCY FALSE EQUIVALENCY

Not everyone wearing a ski mask is a robber.

Some of them just got back from skiing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-16 23:53:22  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Racist.
lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:53:43  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

OK, I have to ask, lol...how on earth is a Muslim family walking into a public store, wishing to buy a mattress, attempting to force anyone to submit to their view of the world..?

"You have to allow us to oppress our women, we're Muslim"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:54:14  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

You are...
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-16 23:54:45  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

Actually, there's nothing unenlightened at all about wanting equal treatment regardless of race or religion.

If we are going to march our armies around the world in the name of spreading democracy, it's hardly fitting for us to practice open bigotry at home.

If a store wishes to discriminate against Muslims, then I wholeheartedly invite them to post a sign saying as much. I suspect, however, they will find that they don't do much business that way, which is exactly why they don't.

This isn't about the right to be offended...it's about the right of a family who simply wanted to buy a mattress to be able to go into a store that claims to be open to the public, and buy a mattress without being discriminated against for the religion...especially in a nation that ostensibly prides itself on freedom of religion.

So I can't start the "I hate Muslims" religion where I refuse to open events to Muslims?
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-16 23:57:09  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Asura.Silvaria said:

So I can't start the "I hate Muslims" religion where I refuse to open events to Muslims?

Haven't you heard? Anything non-white and non-atheist/agnostic is the best and we must cater to all of their whims

OR YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING YOU RACIST BIGOTS
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:58:27  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Selling a product to someone is hardly the equivalent of agreeing to their lifestyle. If that were the case, then I am a Jewish Christian Buddhist gay wife-beating pot-smoking gambling cross-dresser, because I'm sure I've sold to all those types in my time.

Sorry, try again. 8)

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

You are...

Nope.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 23:59:15  
Cerberus.Zandra said:

Sure you can. Hell, you might get tax exempt status for it. 8)
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:59:58  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Selling a product to someone is hardly the equivalent of agreeing to their lifestyle. If that were the case, then I am a Jewish Christian Buddhist gay wife-beating pot-smoking gambling cross-dresser, because I'm sure I've sold to all those types in my time.

Sorry, try again. 8)

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

You are...

Nope.
You're not telling me that if I open up a store that I should be forced to sell to anyone that walks through my doors even if i don't want to?
By zahrah 2011-04-17 00:00:27  
I like how first hand accounts of racism are totally dismissed here. How many of you actually know Muslims?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-17 00:00:44  
Given that you can disagree with a lifestyle by not selling to them, yes consenting to sell is agreeing.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19