Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-16 20:45:16  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Wanna know what I find funny?

Basically all this shits' cause boils down to religion.
I think it boils down to race like near everything, more than religion. I bet like 99.999% chance that guy was religious

Maybe. But unfortunately race is inherent and there's nothing wrong with it.

Religion on the other hand...

The world will never be without hate.
I have respect for the amount of help religion gives people, I can't blindly say "all religion is bad" as fact.

If I saw someone getting an extra boost of strength by doing a mental exercise before an exertion yeah I might think "***" but it could truly be of help to them in that mindset/reality. Religion can be the same at times /shrug

Well, where I'm getting at is the whole "there's a super omniscient being that lives in the sky that decides everything", and not what I'm guessing you're talking about is things along the lines of meditation or prayer.

Those things are becoming less and less orientated with religion, and more falling into the realms of psycho-stuff and theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 20:46:30  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:
Don't business'es have the right to refuse service to anyone?
Pretty sure, but there has to be a reason for it that's not "I refuse you service because you're black." In this guys case, he has some sort of safety reason where nothing will probably happen legally. He'll just get looked down upon and fired probably.
Actually, he did get fired, and the company issued a statement saying they have zero tolerance for religious or racial profiling, thus admitting the reason behind his refusal for service.
You really don't understand how the real world works do you?

This got publicity so the company just did whatever it could to make it look like it was just him. They only stated what they thought his reasons were. In fact in all reality it isn't even that. They stated what the public wants to hear the reasons are

Fair enough, but as I just asked someone else, what other reason would he have for calling a Muslim woman accompanied by her family a "security risk" if it weren't religious and/or racial profiling?

I can easily admit I have no idea as to why he actually did it, but I find it hard to believe he actually thought she was there to rob the place...
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-04-16 20:46:39  
Phoenix.Fondue said:

Pretty sure, but there has to be a reason for it that's not

"I refuse you service because you're black."

In this guys case, he has some sort of safety reason where nothing will probably happen legally. He'll just get looked down upon and fired probably.

remember this lolol

aaaaaaand?
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-16 20:46:45  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Oh, and that's the company saying he was bigoted, not him.
Yep. And he works for the company, so they have a right to make that statement.
Doesn't make it right. Turns out people don't do things just because a company said they did.

This is just a PR stunt and he is just a scapegoat
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 20:46:53  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Oh, and that's the company saying he was bigoted, not him.

Yep. And he works for the company, so they have a right to make that statement.

If you know of any other reason why a Muslim woman would be called a "security risk" other than her obvious religious garb or her race, I would honestly be interested in hearing it, because it escapes me.

No, now you're just grasping at strings.

He's not *** owned by the company. He's his own being with his owns reasons. No one can say why he did something but him.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-16 20:49:48  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Pretty sure, but there has to be a reason for it that's not "I refuse you service because you're black." In this guys case, he has some sort of safety reason where nothing will probably happen legally. He'll just get looked down upon and fired probably.
Actually, he did get fired, and the company issued a statement saying they have zero tolerance for religious or racial profiling, thus admitting the reason behind his refusal for service.
You really don't understand how the real world works do you? This got publicity so the company just did whatever it could to make it look like it was just him. They only stated what they thought his reasons were. In fact in all reality it isn't even that. They stated what the public wants to hear the reasons are
Fair enough, but as I just asked someone else, what other reason would he have for calling a Muslim woman accompanied by her family a "security risk" if it weren't religious and/or racial profiling?

I can easily admit I have no idea as to why he actually did it, but I find it hard to believe he actually thought she was there to rob the place...
It has nothing to do with race or religion. It has to do with the image that goes along with the way you display yourself. If she had come in there without it obviously arab carrying a Torah I bet she would've been fine.

If you don't want people to think you are a *** stop wearing a *** attire for example
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 20:54:22  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
It has nothing to do with race or religion. It has to do with the image that goes along with the way you display yourself. If she had come in there without it obviously arab carrying a Torah I bet she would've been fine.

So, if she had come in without an obviously religious piece of clothing on, she would have been OK, but...it has nothing to do with religion.

Interesting.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 20:55:45  
Yeah, I'm not sure what you mean Das o_O
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-16 20:57:54  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
So, if she had come in without an obviously religious piece of clothing on, she would have been OK, but...it has nothing to do with religion.

Interesting.
It's because that particular peice carries alot more connotations than just religion. Like I said if she had most other kinds of religious paraphernalia she would've been fine. It's the terror part he is afraid of not the religion

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 21:01:49  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

He means if you don't want to be persecuted for your beliefs stop telling people you believe in them.

In this case stop showing it.

Because you know, it's totally HER fault people are ignorant as ***. FOR SHAME.

lol

Ehh, that's the France approach.

And I'm not sure if I support it or not. At the core, your beliefs should be between you and your god. Not the world.

/shrug
[+]
 Shiva.Nidge
サーバ: Shiva
user: nidge
By Shiva.Nidge 2011-04-16 21:10:27  
this just reminded me of a funny story that once happened to me

i work in the Gambling industry and in the UK by law you have to be 18 to enter a betting shop one day a muslim woman cam in dressed in full Burka stuff. So i asked to see her ID to prove she was old enough to be in the shop at that time, she handed me a driving liscence. i looked at the ID looked at her...looked at the ID again looked back at her and said "your going to have to show me your face to prove this is you".

her reply

"I cant for religious beliefs"

well i laughed and replied "Due to religious beliefs then your not actually meant to be in this shop gambling am i right?"

needless to say she left and i got a lovely disciplinary which came to nothing in the end :P

still makes me laugh

anyways carry on ha
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 21:19:28  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Interesting.
It's because that particular peice carries alot more connotations than just religion. Like I said if she had most other kinds of religious paraphernalia she would've been fine. It's the terror part he is afraid of not the religion

And I think being afraid she had a bomb strapped to her face had nothing to do with it, but since neither of us know the man and so neither of us can possibly know what his true intentions were, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. ^,^
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-16 21:49:24  
Man walks into a store with his face covered by a ski-mask. The store clerk pulls a shotgun from under the desk. Woman comes into a store with her face covered by a veil. Man asks them to leave. WTF... discrimination. The dude should have pulled a shotgun on her.

(Yes, this was a joke and totally not serious.)
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-16 21:51:23  
Shiva.Nidge said:
this just reminded me of a funny story that once happened to me

i work in the Gambling industry and in the UK by law you have to be 18 to enter a betting shop one day a muslim woman cam in dressed in full Burka stuff. So i asked to see her ID to prove she was old enough to be in the shop at that time, she handed me a driving liscence. i looked at the ID looked at her...looked at the ID again looked back at her and said "your going to have to show me your face to prove this is you".

her reply

"I cant for religious beliefs"

well i laughed and replied "Due to religious beliefs then your not actually meant to be in this shop gambling am i right?"

needless to say she left and i got a lovely disciplinary which came to nothing in the end :P

still makes me laugh

anyways carry on ha

Aye, that's pretty funny.
 Cerberus.Vaness
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-04-16 22:24:17  
I hate this kind of stuff.I hate the fact those womans are covered, we dont see their face.Can't know their emotions or see if they lie or even if they are really a woman.But in same time, we are free to express ourself.As much as I have respect for all religion as much as I hate this full cover crap, anyway.....

What the seller did is obviously wrong, but with all the crap around that religion lately, can we really blame that guy?They killed thousands of ppl, I know they all arent like that.But they committed pretty terrible crimes and I honestly Can't be mad at that sales mans.He is prolly scared/mad shittless as much as we all are about the past situations.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding
user: Taigatan
By Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding 2011-04-16 22:32:19  
If she was really a security risk why did he just let her go!? He should have called the police while he had another person "sell her a matress"... What if she went and suicide bombed the Cold Stone down the street... blood would have been on his hands. Or maybe she started asking too many questions about how many coils the matress had in it and he thought she was going to use them for frag damage and he believed by not selling the matress he was disarming her.

or... maybe he was just being a ***... AMERIKUH! *** YEAH!

Edit: oh and her having to wear that in the first place... what we might call "freedom" of religion, in reality they are probably being oppressed by it. Edit2: still no excuse for him being a jackass.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-16 22:33:58  
Interesting news story in the OP.

A sad, but real reflection of Americans' paranoid tendencies.

To those in this thread saying things like "it's American to be skeptical of Muslims" ... umm, no. Only in your imaginary world. It's bigoted and UN-American to be skeptical of Muslims. Remember there's just as many (probably far more, really) radical/dangerous white-bread Americans as there are radical/dangerous Muslims.

Don't think so?
Then perhaps you've forgotten these fine specimens:
The KKK
Dahmer
McVeigh
Kaczynski
Loughner
Westboro
Roeder

More relevant to the news article though, yes an independent business has the right to refuse service to a potential customer (although that generally isn't good business practice ... refusing a sale or money) ... and the employer has the right to fire bigots, too.

If the guy who got fired doesn't understand why he got the pink slip, then he probably doesn't have much functionality in his brain, and we should probably lock him up before he does something ridiculously stupid in the name of "patriotism".

Seriously, if you're cheering the guy who denied business to a Muslim simply based on her appearance (not her actions or behaviors), even in jest, then you're what's wrong with America today. The terrorists win if you become afraid of the benign things in your daily life ...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 22:38:27  
Idk... most places put out signs that they have the right to refuse service to anyone... It may not be looked upon as morally upstanding but if this truly is a "free" country as you say shouldn't any store have the right to sell to who they do or don't want to? or is this one of those things that only certain freedoms matter or this is right and that is wrong? I mean it didn't hurt this person... its not like they couldn't walk out and go buy it at another store... that may seem harsh but yeah...

Personally I don't get it... it's a sale... makes some money and move on... but sadly its a reality in our world today that fear is real and some don't know enough or care enough to understand that not all Muslims are terrorists...
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-16 22:43:26  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Personally I don't get it... it's a sale... makes some money and move on... but sadly its a reality in our world today that fear is real and some don't know enough or care enough to understand that not all Muslims are terrorists...

Exactly. Americans are absurd with their need for stereotyping (although I guess I just made a stereotype right there?).

Very few Muslims are terrorists.

It's very similar to the paranoia about the USSR in the 1980's, and the paranoia about AIDS/HIV in the 1990's. Just a collective worthless pile of paranoid hate.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 22:45:20  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Interesting news story in the OP.

A sad, but real reflection of Americans' paranoid tendencies.

To those in this thread saying things like "it's American to be skeptical of Muslims" ... umm, no. Only in your imaginary world. It's bigoted and UN-American to be skeptical of Muslims. Remember there's just as many (probably far more, really) radical/dangerous white-bread Americans as there are radical/dangerous Muslims.

Don't think so?
Then perhaps you've forgotten these fine specimens:
The KKK
Dahmer
McVeigh
Kaczynski
Loughner
Westboro
Roeder

More relevant to the news article though, yes an independent business has the right to refuse service to a potential customer (although that generally isn't good business practice ... refusing a sale or money) ... and the employer has the right to fire bigots, too.

If the guy who got fired doesn't understand why he got the pink slip, then he probably doesn't have much functionality in his brain, and we should probably lock him up before he does something ridiculously stupid in the name of "patriotism".

Seriously, if you're cheering the guy who denied business to a Muslim simply based on her appearance (not her actions or behaviors), even in jest, then you're what's wrong with America today. The terrorists win if you become afraid of the benign things in your daily life ...
The KKK is the only one that stands up for a somewhat valid example... naming individuals doesn't really stack up let alone the fact that those specific individuals are no longer a direct threat...
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-16 22:49:18  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

The KKK is the only one that stands up for a somewhat valid example... naming individuals doesn't really stack up let alone the fact that those specific individuals are no longer a direct threat...

Disagree. The other people I cited are:
1. white
2. American
3. bald/balding
4. radical murderers and/or terrorists

The point being: If one is going to tolerate or support racially-profiling customers based on Muslim garb "for security reasons", then one should also deny service/sales to bald white American men, right?

They could be a security risk.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-04-16 22:52:49  
Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding said:
If she was really a security risk why did he just let her go!? He should have called the police while he had another person "sell her a matress"... What if she went and suicide bombed the Cold Stone down the street... blood would have been on his hands.

Wow...very well said. This reinforces my point...it had nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with discrimination. In this day and age, anyone who TRULY believed a terrorist was in their midst would contact the authorities -immediately-. The fact that he didn't is a rather telling indication that he didn't truly see her as a security risk.

Well, you and I rarely agree, but thank you for saying this so aptly.

When I posted this story, I was startled at the number of people who were not only OK with it, but actually seemed downright delighted. I rather suspect if their mother, sister, or wife was treated in a similar fashion for exercising her right to wear the clothing of her choice, they would be feeling quite differently.

Yes, it's the right of any business to refuse service, but it has to be for a non-discriminatory reason. I see little reason here to believe the manager honestly viewed this woman as a "security risk", which essentially reduces his refusal down to racist or religious reasons, and that is illegal in this country, as far as I know. If there is precedent to the contrary, I am honestly unaware of it.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Idk... most places put out signs that they have the right to refuse service to anyone... It may not be looked upon as morally upstanding but if this truly is a "free" country as you say shouldn't any store have the right to sell to who they do or don't want to? or is this one of those things that only certain freedoms matter or this is right and that is wrong? I mean it didn't hurt this person... its not like they couldn't walk out and go buy it at another store... that may seem harsh but yeah..

True enough, but another aspect of living in a "free" country means a person -should- be able to walk into a store that is open to the public and, regardless of race, religion, or gender, get equal treatment. If the store is open to the public, that should include -everyone-, don't you think?
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-16 22:58:03  
Asura.Silvaria said:
It doesn't matter if it is a "sign of oppression"...this is the so-called Land of the Free, and if that woman wants to wear religious clothing, where is it written in the Constitution that some paranoid store manager has the right to call her a "security" risk and refuse to sell her a mattress? I must have missed that part, could you point it out to me?

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So a woman is free to wear any religious symbol she wants but the store owner/clerk isn't free to sell a mattress to whomever he wants?

I don't necessarily agree with what he did, but really what is the problem?
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-16 22:58:14  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said:

He means if you don't want to be persecuted for your beliefs stop telling people you believe in them.

In this case stop showing it.

Because you know, it's totally HER fault people are ignorant as ***. FOR SHAME.

lol

Ehh, that's the France approach.

And I'm not sure if I support it or not. At the core, your beliefs should be between you and your god. Not the world.

/shrug

Well, since we're bringing the burqa ban in France into the equation... Why should France lose their national identity to pacify a certain group of people? Motorcyclists are required to remove their helmets on civil property. Why should a certain population be able to hide their identity under a veil?

What's wrong with the fact that the manager denied service? If it's his establishment he may refuse service as he sees fit.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-04-16 23:00:19  
Zahrah! I lurv you! <3
SFSBF!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:04:31  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Quetzalcoatl.Mintpudding said:
If she was really a security risk why did he just let her go!? He should have called the police while he had another person "sell her a matress"... What if she went and suicide bombed the Cold Stone down the street... blood would have been on his hands.

Wow...very well said. This reinforces my point...it had nothing to do with fear, and everything to do with discrimination. In this day and age, anyone who TRULY believed a terrorist was in their midst would contact the authorities -immediately-. The fact that he didn't is a rather telling indication that he didn't truly see her as a security risk.

Well, you and I rarely agree, but thank you for saying this so aptly.

When I posted this story, I was startled at the number of people who were not only OK with it, but actually seemed downright delighted. I rather suspect if their mother, sister, or wife was treated in a similar fashion for exercising her right to wear the clothing of her choice, they would be feeling quite differently.

Yes, it's the right of any business to refuse service, but it has to be for a non-discriminatory reason. I see little reason here to believe the manager honestly viewed this woman as a "security risk", which essentially reduces his refusal down to racist or religious reasons, and that is illegal in this country, as far as I know. If there is precedent to the contrary, I am honestly unaware of it.

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Idk... most places put out signs that they have the right to refuse service to anyone... It may not be looked upon as morally upstanding but if this truly is a "free" country as you say shouldn't any store have the right to sell to who they do or don't want to? or is this one of those things that only certain freedoms matter or this is right and that is wrong? I mean it didn't hurt this person... its not like they couldn't walk out and go buy it at another store... that may seem harsh but yeah..

True enough, but another aspect of living in a "free" country means a person -should- be able to walk into a store that is open to the public and, regardless of race, religion, or gender, get equal treatment. If the store is open to the public, that should include -everyone-, don't you think?
Personally no... People are free to do what they wish as long as it's not harming someone or say in this case, taking away the possibility of that person being able to obtain a mattress... if the man that murdered your family walks in and wants to buy a mattress would you sell to him? I mean i know that's a fairly radical example but you did say anyone...

Either way its a terrible business position to take and it seems silly to me...

In any case it was not the companies desired position and they fired the guy so I don't see what the big problem is...
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-16 23:08:24  
The big deal is that it was a Muslim.

Seriously.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-16 23:10:31