Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 12:51:03  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
one mans respect is anothers disrespect.
Only a pessimist would say that.
Only an optimist would say that!
I say a lot of things.
And i float around between many different states of mind being the balanced unbalanced individual that I am.
It could be taken as pessimistic but I dunno.
should i have just said different strokes for different folks again to please everyone?
or do i even need to please everyone, or am I allowed to be pessimistic?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-18 12:58:10  
Bimbam said:
I didn't want to touch this thread but wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned this, I have not read the middle posts so am possibly reiterating what has already been mentioned. I have no complaint in women choosing to wear a burqa. However it is in no way mandatory & as such can often be misinterpreted as representing anti-west sentiments from either the wearer, or perhaps in some cases the person forcing her to wear it. There are many other items of religious clothing they could chose to wear that would not cause this issue such as the hijab. To my knowledge there is nothing stipulating hands/face should be covered anyway.There was an article about this on the BBC around the time the French were defining laws about it. This however is irrelevant to the point of refusing service to someone covering there face. When you remove all the religious hype about this topic, it is exactly the same fundamentally as walking into a shop wearing a balaclava, full face motorcycle helmet or even a 'hoody'. Whether you agree with it or not, this poses security problems. Most noticeable being the inability to identify said customer on CCTV cameras in the event of a robbery. I for one have worked in a convenience store where it is mandatory to ask the customer to remove any face coverings (admittedly where I live this is almost only bike helmets) for the sake of security, and not to open the cash register if they refuse. The Halifax next door was robbed by exactly this method (motor cycle helmet). Now in no way am I a saying a Muslim woman is more or less likely to commit a crime due to there religious beliefs, to make such a statement would be somewhat ignorant and unfounded (unless someone can point me in the direction of the crime figures lol). But the refusal to serve somebody covering their face seems an entirely logical and in no way religiously charged countermeasure to preventing "over the counter" thefts. While Muslims do not drink, I have met a few who smoke, so what if a woman in a burqa were to ask for cigarettes? how would you ID them? They should be treated entirely equal to everyone else, this means showing identifiable features when shopping like everyone else. Whatever country I chose to visit or move to, I will respect the laws of the country regardless of any beliefs I may personally adhere to (I don't). Logic and reasoning should always supersede religion as far as law is concerned.
This...
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-18 13:16:14  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Bimbam said:
I didn't want to touch this thread but wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned this, I have not read the middle posts so am possibly reiterating what has already been mentioned. I have no complaint in women choosing to wear a burqa. However it is in no way mandatory & as such can often be misinterpreted as representing anti-west sentiments from either the wearer, or perhaps in some cases the person forcing her to wear it. There are many other items of religious clothing they could chose to wear that would not cause this issue such as the hijab. To my knowledge there is nothing stipulating hands/face should be covered anyway.There was an article about this on the BBC around the time the French were defining laws about it. This however is irrelevant to the point of refusing service to someone covering there face. When you remove all the religious hype about this topic, it is exactly the same fundamentally as walking into a shop wearing a balaclava, full face motorcycle helmet or even a 'hoody'. Whether you agree with it or not, this poses security problems. Most noticeable being the inability to identify said customer on CCTV cameras in the event of a robbery. I for one have worked in a convenience store where it is mandatory to ask the customer to remove any face coverings (admittedly where I live this is almost only bike helmets) for the sake of security, and not to open the cash register if they refuse. The Halifax next door was robbed by exactly this method (motor cycle helmet). Now in no way am I a saying a Muslim woman is more or less likely to commit a crime due to there religious beliefs, to make such a statement would be somewhat ignorant and unfounded (unless someone can point me in the direction of the crime figures lol). But the refusal to serve somebody covering their face seems an entirely logical and in no way religiously charged countermeasure to preventing "over the counter" thefts. While Muslims do not drink, I have met a few who smoke, so what if a woman in a burqa were to ask for cigarettes? how would you ID them? They should be treated entirely equal to everyone else, this means showing identifiable features when shopping like everyone else. Whatever country I chose to visit or move to, I will respect the laws of the country regardless of any beliefs I may personally adhere to (I don't). Logic and reasoning should always supersede religion as far as law is concerned.
This...

Yeah, People have been saying that basically the entire thread if not exactly in those exact words.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 14:57:07  
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Bimbam said:
This...
I completely agree with this as well.
Pretty much what I was getting at but worded in a much better manner lol.

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
one mans respect is anothers disrespect.
Only a pessimist would say that.
Only an optimist would say that!
I say a lot of things.
And i float around between many different states of mind being the balanced unbalanced individual that I am.
It could be taken as pessimistic but I dunno.
should i have just said different strokes for different folks again to please everyone?
or do i even need to please everyone, or am I allowed to be pessimistic?
Too many assumptions, take your steps one at a time would be the easiest route if you're having trouble understanding what to think.

I can't tell you what to think as that is not my place to be, but good is supposedly overrated from what I understand.
I said I didn't understand what I think?
I'm confused.
I've always interpreted the human psyche as a collective of personas, some which of whom come out more often than others.
meaning that 1 day I could be pessemistic as all get out and then other other hand the next day I could be optimistic as all get out.
Does that mean I disagree with my pessimistic view points when I'm in an optimistic view-point.
Not necessarily.
I might just be pessimistic in regards to what I was speaking about, but then again I might not.
But that's not really something you should need to worry about.
so essentially what i'm trying to say in regards to your "that's pessimistic" comment is this:
so what?
do you want a Pulitzer for literary analysis?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-18 14:57:35  
Stop being such a pessimist Vinvv.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-04-18 15:03:31  
meh, you'd think by now, prejudice and discrimination would be gone. Don't hate people for their religion, hate them for being stupid.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 15:03:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Only a pessimist would say that!

But I'm not really saying much about you past that, I just wanted to assert that you are being pessimistic because you aren't very self-aware so I felt the need to point it out...wait are you all that self-aware flion?
do you think I even needed to tell you this or would you have figured out that you are being pessimistic on your own?
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 15:04:06  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
meh, you'd think by now, prejudice and discrimination would be gone. Don't hate people for their religion, hate them for being stupid.
I think in this case it was more of a race thing though honestly.
I think the woman came in like with her family and ***lol.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 15:11:22  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Muslim women wear the hijab by choice and continue to remain consistent from their own choices in life and any further is an assumption.

I challenge anyone to find a Muslim women still wearing a hijab that requires your help and/or willing to take her hijab off because you feel it is necessarily required for your comfort, but this is beyond what I am trying understand myself.
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Bimbam said:
This...
redundancies sake.
[+]
 Phoenix.Tunafests
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-18 15:13:03  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:

The burka is subjective with no definite definition.

You have no where near a right to try and justify people's ideals, each person understands more than you give them credit for which is in itself ignorance because you are looking at each individual as incompetent before knowing anything about them, which mind you is also shallow.

ITT: Don't judge a book by it's cover like Tunafests.

I view it as backwards rationale, not incompetence. This "modest" garb idea arose in every religion, yet Muslims are one of few religions who have mainstream practitioners still subscribing to it. The idea that you should cover your body in order to not provoke so-called inappropriate human emotions is rather primitive, to me at least. It lends itself to the notion that man cannot overcome those so-called inappropriate emotions on his own, forming a self-fulfilling prophecy. You will always need the burka if you believe man is that weak.

Tell me, how is it NOT oppressive to require a Muslim woman to cover herself?
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-04-18 15:19:22  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
I think in this case it was more of a race thing though honestly.
I think the woman came in like with her family and ***lol.
yeah, and the store manager thought they were about to be bombed.
[+]
 Leviathan.Matteh
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2011-04-18 15:28:06  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Read the article here.

Quote:
She said the store manager approached, but oddly didn't want to help. He told the family that he wouldn't sell them a mattress for security reasons, she said.

Yes, because a woman wearing an obvious Islamic veil accompanied by her family is just as suspicious as a man walking in with a ski mask and an AK-47, and don't forget, Muslim woman are notorious for turning mattresses into bombs... *Facepalm*
She went in playing NINJA?! some ppl take FFXI -that- serious. lol
maybe the worker was a MMM Goblin?

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-04-18 15:28:35  
Phoenix.Tunafests said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:

The burka is subjective with no definite definition.

You have no where near a right to try and justify people's ideals, each person understands more than you give them credit for which is in itself ignorance because you are looking at each individual as incompetent before knowing anything about them, which mind you is also shallow.

ITT: Don't judge a book by it's cover like Tunafests.

I view it as backwards rationale, not incompetence. This "modest" garb idea arose in every religion, yet Muslims are one of few religions who have mainstream practitioners still subscribing to it. The idea that you should cover your body in order to not provoke so-called inappropriate human emotions is rather primitive, to me at least. It lends itself to the notion that man cannot overcome those so-called inappropriate emotions on his own, forming a self-fulfilling prophecy. You will always need the burka if you believe man is that weak.

Tell me, how is it NOT oppressive to require a Muslim woman to cover herself?

Men can't control themselves, cover the female!

It's fundamentally unfair to both sexes. It's hysterical.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 15:45:12  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Too many voices of reason, but wait... you're not reasoning; are you?
What?
[+]
 Phoenix.Tunafests
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2011-04-18 15:50:13  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I'm just glad neither my mother nor sisters were busted open in high school by a random guy lol.

You would know if they had?

This is getting into some sketchy territory, I'm out!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-18 16:42:12  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I would rather be assumed a fool then to actually be a fool.
What?
elaborate in a way that i may understand?
a fool is only a fool if they don't know what they are doing is foolish.
this is one of those rule-of-thumbs though so don't treat it like scripture.
being self-aware as well as aware of others is key.
but that's another rule of thumb.
[+]
 Kujata.Nours
サーバ: Kujata
user: sruon
By Kujata.Nours 2011-04-18 17:16:35  
I'd have done the same.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-18 20:33:03  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Only a pessimist would say that!

But I'm not really saying much about you past that, I just wanted to assert that you are being pessimistic because you aren't very self-aware so I felt the need to point it out...wait are you all that self-aware flion?
do you think I even needed to tell you this or would you have figured out that you are being pessimistic on your own?

I'm very self aware Mr Pessimy poo.
 Odin.Spccdog
サーバ: Odin
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-04-18 21:13:39  
businesses reserve the right to sell or not sell to anyone. who gives a *** go to another store then . Im sure in coming weeks she wil try to sue the store for discrimination.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-18 21:18:11  
Odin.Spccdog said:
businesses reserve the right to sell or not sell to anyone. who gives a *** go to another store then . Im sure in coming weeks she wil try to sue the store for discrimination.

That's what I'm expecting too!
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-18 21:46:37  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Bimbam said:
This...
Yeah, People have been saying that basically the entire thread if not exactly in those exact words.
Unfortunately everyone likes to pull the race/religious/sexual orientation/etc card and always turn it around to that. I'm sure some here would've said it was racist if she turned out to be black even if the store owner didn't know lol
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-18 21:52:56  
Odin.Spccdog said:

You can refuse service if they can prove it was not on the basis of profiling and racism. you can't refuse to serve to entire ethnic/religious/etc group. That's what was going on during the segregation in the united states.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-04-18 21:54:01  
i mean honestly, would you sell anything to a terrorist?
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-18 21:54:13  
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Odin.Spccdog said:
You can refuse service if they can prove it was not on the basis of profiling and racism. you can't refuse to serve to entire ethnic/religious/etc group. That's what was going on during the segregation in the united states.
Wait wait wait so you are saying it's guilty until proven innocent now?
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18 19