Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
Mattress Firm Refuses To Sell To Muslim Woman
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 02:52:12  
Anyway. In many places around the world there is a very unfortunately real danger of muslim terrorism. I don't blame anyone for being afraid nowadays. Really. After all, it seems everyone is trying to scare you. The actual terrorists, the media that reports on terrorism to make money off of commercials, the government that comes into power through your fear of terrorists and your desire to be protected from them. The person thats selling terrorism preparedness courses (There really are classes like that.)

Who knows, the man could have been a survivor of a suicide bombing and have PTSD. The man could just have been an idiot (likelier) and a bigot (Far likelier.) He could have had a family member killed by terrorists (Not so far fetched) and hates Islam for the personal toll its taken on his family. Really. There have been many terrorist plots intercepted in the US in the last decade. Many of them in the New York area. One last year that was targeting time square in the middle of the summer. Because Time Square is just a popular place.

Its not completely irrational to be afraid. The chances of being involved in a plane crash and being bombed by terrorists are probably not that far off (especially if you skew the statistics favorably in your direction.) So, maybe the man deserves a little more compassion than others are letting on. Its not like he blew someone up; just that he refused service to someone based on his personal views. He could have been ruder I'm sure. I don't hear that he called her a stupid burqa face after all.

Well, whatever. like what we say here really matters at all.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 02:54:22  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:

Flounce harder.

The bolded sentence reminded me of that episode of South Park where Cartman dresses up as "a ghost" for Halloween. Except he uses a KKK hood. And then talks to Chef. And then gets sent to the principal's office, where they try to explain to him why it was inappropriate. And he doesn't get it.

You live in a strangely out-of-touch world. Wearing a KKK uniform out in public is apparently perfectly harmless and sends no mixed messages, but a burqa-wearing housewife going mattress shopping is a genuine security threat because of a few news stories about terrorists disguising themselves as women. Yeah. OK.

Ooook. You still haven't gotten the point after I wrote a post for that. You ARE a moron. Good luck with that. Going on with my life~

edit: because I'm not THAT in love with walls of text.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-04-17 02:58:42  
What most likely happened is she refused to comply with the store's policy on not selling to those whose identity cannot be verified. Why else would he ask her to show her face? The article is horriblely slanted. It doesn't even go into detail on the event. It does say she eventually bought her matress online, even after looking in other stores. One would have to infer that the other stores did not allow her to purchase either, because her identity could not be verified. The guy probably quoted the store's policy word for word, about how selling to people whose identities aren't verifiable is a security risk. She probably told this to an interviewer, and the interviewer blew it out of proportion. All supposition. All of it. The whole damned article, which majority wise was a rant on discrimination towards Muslims. Yet, what the simple minded "respectful" people see is an attack on her person, her religion, her beliefs, the muslim way of life, etc. etc. etc.

I'm on the Dasva/Zahrah/Arawn/Hohen side of this.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-17 03:00:55  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
How would you like to walk around naked? Because, by most of the testimonies I've read, that's how Muslims perceive an unconcealed woman. It's supposedly mortifying. You keep dodging my question: what are we giving up by letting a woman wear a burqa? Where's the great inconvenience?
Simple and plain answer: comfort. And god forbid an American should have to feel uncomfortable on American soil every once in a while, right?
And God forbid Europeans feel uncomfortable on their soil, but they do every day!
What you mean like this? http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/18153/back-door-onry-for-german-muslim-girls-sad-days/

AHHH!!! I love this site! LOL! That's just sad. They don't even get real thing. (Haha! I just died a little inside too.)

Do you feel that gust of wind rushing past you Zahrah?

Yep! I Marilyn Monroed it! Feelin' good!
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:01:51  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:
How would you like to walk around naked? Because, by most of the testimonies I've read, that's how Muslims perceive an unconcealed woman. It's supposedly mortifying. You keep dodging my question: what are we giving up by letting a woman wear a burqa? Where's the great inconvenience?
Simple and plain answer: comfort. And god forbid an American should have to feel uncomfortable on American soil every once in a while, right?
And God forbid Europeans feel uncomfortable on their soil, but they do every day!
What you mean like this? http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/18153/back-door-onry-for-german-muslim-girls-sad-days/

AHHH!!! I love this site! LOL! That's just sad. They don't even get real thing. (Haha! I just died a little inside too.)

Do you feel that gust of wind rushing past you Zahrah?

Yep! I Marilyn Monroed it! Feelin' good!

Damn, and us without our cameras, right?
[+]
 Asura.Luchtaine
user: Luchtaine
By Asura.Luchtaine 2011-04-17 03:04:40  
Most documentaries I see on T.V. that interview Muslim women involve them speaking of how they want equal rights, and their disapproval of being concealed behind a burqa.

So this leaves me scratching my head when I see a Muslim women in America wearing a burqa. Coming to this country for religious freedom, yet continuing to conform yourself to wardrobes that oppressed you in your native homeland confuses me.

Am I misinformed?
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:08:45  
Asura.Luchtaine said:
Most documentaries I see on T.V. that interview Muslim women involve them speaking of how they want equal rights, and their disapproval of being concealed behind a burqa.

So this leaves me scratching my head when I see a Muslim women in America wearing a burqa. Coming to this country for religious freedom, yet continuing to conform yourself to wardrobes that oppressed you in your native homeland confuses me.

Am I misinformed?

Apparently. It seems that some muslim women like the Burqa. While it is a sign of the subdual of women in muslim society... some of them think its a protection of their femininity. Some of them probably wear it because they are proud of their heritage and want to show it off. Its all about who you ask. The women in america, for the most part, are not forced to wear the burqa or cover their face. I'm sure there are many that ARE pressured into the islamic norm of modesty despite their wishes... However... what can we do about it? Unless they complain of abuse (and doing that can be a death sentence) we can do nothing to help them.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:13:29  
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

Different Muslim women have different views on it. Some of the most vehement arguments about it I've seen have actually been between Muslim women themselves. Some do perceive it as oppression and proudly don Western clothing as a way of expressing their identity. Others go the other end of the extreme and proudly don the veil as a way of expressing their identity. Still others simply don't care, and may wear whatever is most comfortable and most fitting with their ideas about propriety. (I personally don't like to walk around with my shirt off, but in America, that's not a big deal for guys and I could get away with it just fine if I wanted to.)

I say we leave it up to them. It's not our business anyways, we're not the ones wearing the things. That's why the law in France disgusts me so much and why it bothers me when people talk about banning it. Of course, Sarkozy is well known for his sexism, so it shouldn't be that surprising that he's in favor of forcing women to wear things that he deems appropriate, but it's not really any better than a Saudi man who DOES happen to force his wife to veil against her will. Behind all this talk about people's views on the burqa, there's this horrible assumption that their views even matter. Unless you're a Muslim woman and you're actually considering wearing one, your perception of the burqa means jack squat and you should shut up about it. That's not directed at you, personally: it goes for Muslim men, white Americans, and the entirety of Europe.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 03:14:40  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:
Psh you know you like some back door action!!!

And iirc that was only the stuff they were hiding till they get older and marry. It's kinda ironic that the same bfs that are getting to have sex will be the ones denouncing there daughters when they do lol
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:17:30  
Asura.Vyre said:
What most likely happened is she refused to comply with the store's policy on not selling to those whose identity cannot be verified. Why else would he ask her to show her face? The article is horribly slanted. It doesn't even go into detail on the event. It does say she eventually bought her mattress online, even after looking in other stores. One would have to infer that the other stores did not allow her to purchase either, because her identity could not be verified. The guy probably quoted the store's policy word for word, about how selling to people whose identities aren't verifiable is a security risk. She probably told this to an interviewer, and the interviewer blew it out of proportion. All supposition. All of it. The whole damned article, which majority wise was a rant on discrimination towards Muslims. Yet, what the simple minded "respectful" people see is an attack on her person, her religion, her beliefs, the muslim way of life, etc. etc. etc.

I'm on the Dasva/Zahrah/Arawn/Hohen side of this.

Eh... it does say she was there with her husband who was probably the person who was going to pay for the mattress anyway. His identity was probably easily verifiable. The manager had no real leg to stand on if that was his argument. He probably really just didn't like how they were acting or any one of various other things. Maybe he had a bad day. Who really knows besides him at this point.
By zahrah 2011-04-17 03:19:59  
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

I've seen conflicting documentaries. I love Queen Rania of Jordan! I think she is the kind of progressive Muslim woman that others could look up to. She is fantastic! Her contributions to education, domestic abuse and child abuse are so inspiring!
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-04-17 03:21:38  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Vyre said:
What most likely happened is she refused to comply with the store's policy on not selling to those whose identity cannot be verified. Why else would he ask her to show her face? The article is horribly slanted. It doesn't even go into detail on the event. It does say she eventually bought her mattress online, even after looking in other stores. One would have to infer that the other stores did not allow her to purchase either, because her identity could not be verified. The guy probably quoted the store's policy word for word, about how selling to people whose identities aren't verifiable is a security risk. She probably told this to an interviewer, and the interviewer blew it out of proportion. All supposition. All of it. The whole damned article, which majority wise was a rant on discrimination towards Muslims. Yet, what the simple minded "respectful" people see is an attack on her person, her religion, her beliefs, the muslim way of life, etc. etc. etc. I'm on the Dasva/Zahrah/Arawn/Hohen side of this.
Eh... it does say she was there with her husband who was probably the person who was going to pay for the mattress anyway. His identity was probably easily verifiable. The manager had no real leg to stand on if that was his argument. He probably really just didn't like how they were acting or any one of various other things. Maybe he had a bad day. Who really knows besides him at this point.
Then why not just have her husband go in and buy her the mattress she desired elsewhere? Sounds like intentionally stirring up controversy to me at that point.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:22:55  
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

Different Muslim women have different views on it. Some of the most vehement arguments about it I've seen have actually been between Muslim women themselves. Some do perceive it as oppression and proudly don Western clothing as a way of expressing their identity. Others go the other end of the extreme and proudly don the veil as a way of expressing their identity. Still others simply don't care, and may wear whatever is most comfortable and most fitting with their ideas about propriety. (I personally don't like to walk around with my shirt off, but in America, that's not a big deal for guys and I could get away with it just fine if I wanted to.)

I say we leave it up to them. It's not our business anyways, we're not the ones wearing the things. That's why the law in France disgusts me so much and why it bothers me when people talk about banning it. Of course, Sarkozy is well known for his sexism, so it shouldn't be that surprising that he's in favor of forcing women to wear things that he deems appropriate, but it's not really any better than a Saudi man who DOES happen to force his wife to veil against her will. Behind all this talk about people's views on the burqa, there's this horrible assumption that their views even matter. Unless you're a Muslim woman and you're actually considering wearing one, your perception of the burqa means jack squat and you should shut up about it. That's not directed at you, personally: it goes for Muslim men, white Americans, and the entirety of Europe.

If the idea of the Burqa as it was originally intended disgusts you, then you shouldn't shut up about it. Express your views in as many respectful ways as you feel like. That anybody would tell you to shut up about something that you feel strongly about is indefensible in a free society. Just be respectful if at all possible, mm?
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:23:47  
Asura.Vyre said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Vyre said:
What most likely happened is she refused to comply with the store's policy on not selling to those whose identity cannot be verified. Why else would he ask her to show her face? The article is horribly slanted. It doesn't even go into detail on the event. It does say she eventually bought her mattress online, even after looking in other stores. One would have to infer that the other stores did not allow her to purchase either, because her identity could not be verified. The guy probably quoted the store's policy word for word, about how selling to people whose identities aren't verifiable is a security risk. She probably told this to an interviewer, and the interviewer blew it out of proportion. All supposition. All of it. The whole damned article, which majority wise was a rant on discrimination towards Muslims. Yet, what the simple minded "respectful" people see is an attack on her person, her religion, her beliefs, the muslim way of life, etc. etc. etc. I'm on the Dasva/Zahrah/Arawn/Hohen side of this.
Then why not just have her husband go in and buy her the mattress she desired elsewhere? Sounds like intentionally stirring up controversy to me at that point.

Apparently they were trying out the mattresses to see which one made her neck feel more comfortable since she was there for the neck pain. I'm sure that if it wasn't expressly for her that she wouldn't have been out there with him purchasing the bed.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:29:00  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

Apparently. It seems that some muslim women like the Burqa. While it is a sign of the subdual of women in muslim society... some of them think its a protection of their femininity. Some of them probably wear it because they are proud of their heritage and want to show it off. Its all about who you ask. The women in america, for the most part, are not forced to wear the burqa or cover their face. I'm sure there are many that ARE pressured into the islamic norm of modesty despite their wishes... However... what can we do about it? Unless they complain of abuse (and doing that can be a death sentence) we can do nothing to help them.

Muslim women are perfectly capable of helping themselves, and they do. There are Muslim Feminists, you know. And not all of them agree with your assessment that "it is a sign of the subdual [sic] of women in muslim society" or are 'pressured' into 'the islamic norm of modesty.' Most develop their own sense of modesty entirely of their own free-will: they aren't helpless chattel ruled over by homicidal husbands.

This narrative about the sexes in Muslim societies has really got to stop. It's enabling oppression of its own. Belgium and France came out and banned the veil on the presumption that they were basically saving Muslim women from themselves, and now the ones that DO want to wear them are practically confined to their homes by mandate of law. The answer isn't to 'help' people who we assume are worse off than us, it's to quit pretending we know better, butt out and let them lead their own lives.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:30:46  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

If the idea of the Burqa as it was originally intended disgusts you, then you shouldn't shut up about it. Express your views in as many respectful ways as you feel like. That anybody would tell you to shut up about something that you feel strongly about is indefensible in a free society. Just be respectful if at all possible, mm?

If the idea of the Native American Headdress as it was originally intended disgusts you, should you, as a non-Native American, go around telling Native Americans what to think about it? Or is that kind of, well, not your place?
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:33:21  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

If the idea of the Native American Headdress as it was originally intended disgusts you, should you, as a non-Native American, go around telling Native Americans what to think about it? Or is that kind of, well, not your place?

If you feel strongly about it? Of course you should try and make them see your side of the topic? Is that such a hard thing to understand? As long as you do it respectfully nobody can complain about you doing this. Really, I don't get how you can attack that idea and still think people should have freedom of speech.
By zahrah 2011-04-17 03:35:22  

And if opposing opinions disgust you, should you going around telling us what to think about it? Or is it that kind of, well, not your place?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:36:11  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

If you feel strongly about it? Of course you should try and make them see your side of the topic? Is that such a hard thing to understand? As long as you do it respectfully nobody can complain about you doing this. Really, I don't get how you can attack that idea and still think people should have freedom of speech.

I guess I take issue with the idea that there is a 'respectful' way to tell a person what their culture should be when you aren't a member of that culture. It's incredibly privileged and presumptuous, as if your ideas are automatically granted equal weight with theirs simply because you exist. They aren't. You aren't a member of their world. There's absolutely no reason they should listen to you.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:36:40  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

Muslim women are perfectly capable of helping themselves, and they do. There are Muslim Feminists, you know. And not all of them agree with your assessment that "it is a sign of the subdual [sic] of women in muslim society" or are 'pressured' into 'the islamic norm of modesty.' Most develop their own sense of modesty entirely of their own free-will: they aren't helpless chattel ruled over by homicidal husbands.

This narrative about the sexes in Muslim societies has really got to stop. It's enabling oppression of its own. Belgium and France came out and banned the veil on the presumption that they were basically saving Muslim women from themselves, and now the ones that DO want to wear them are practically confined to their homes by mandate of law. The answer isn't to 'help' people who we assume are worse off than us, it's to quit pretending we know better, butt out and let them lead their own lives.

Some women are forced into doing things they don't want to do. In the United States there are STILL cases of women being killed for going against the wishes of the head of the house. They CANT get help because IF THEY DO they will be killed. There have been cases in many other countries where women have been killed for doing things 'improper for women.' This is NOT always the case and is not normally the case. What I was pointing out is that those women who ARE forced to wear the burqa MUST come forward and tell us that they are being oppressed and abused or we cannot help them.

Also, at what point did I defend the idea that the burqa should be outlawed? I've never expressed that it was my personal desire for it to be outlawed. I've just been making points and arguments that express differing viewpoints. You have a sketchy grasp on reality, sir, and I think you should mend that.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:41:54  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Asura.Luchtaine said:

Am I misinformed?

Some women are forced into doing things they don't want to do. In the United States there are STILL cases of women being killed for going against the wishes of the head of the house. They CANT get help because IF THEY DO they will be killed. There have been cases in many other countries where women have been killed for doing things 'improper for women.' This is NOT always the case and is not normally the case. What I was pointing out is that those women who ARE forced to wear the burqa MUST come forward and tell us that they are being oppressed and abused or we cannot help them.

Also, at what point did I defend the idea that the burqa should be outlawed? I've never expressed that it was my personal desire for it to be outlawed. I've just been making points and arguments that express differing viewpoints. You have a sketchy grasp on reality, sir, and I think you should mend that.

I know, but there's nothing uniquely Muslim about that. If a woman is being abused, we have services for that, and we should make them as available as possible. If her life is in danger, we have services for that. Again, there's nothing uniquely Muslim about this: it's not like there's a higher incidence of spousal murders among Muslims than non-Muslims. It just gets a lot of play in the media.

I didn't say you wanted the burqa outlawed, I'm saying it's this narrative that governments (which ARE outlawing the burqa) prop up as their justification. And it's total crap.
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:44:31  
Did I say there was something uniquely muslim about that? I'm quite sure that I haven't. *Tilts his head to the side.* I think you're 'still' operating on some sort of misconception. I do wish you'd hurry up and fix that because its become quite tedious.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-17 03:44:55  
Original Topic: We reserve the right to refuse service to Anyone.

Current Topic: If religious choices made sense, there wouldn't be religion.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:45:08  
Gnight~ the thread was amusing for hours!
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:46:03  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Original Topic: We reserve the right to refuse service to Anyone.

Current Topic: If religions choices made sense, there wouldn't be religion.

Now if only we could post that at the front of the topic. There is no better summary.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:46:53  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Did I say there was something uniquely muslim about that?

You were if you were being relevant lol
 Ifrit.Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-17 03:50:37  
Ifrit.Arawn said:

Now thats a stretch of the imagination, you silly person you. Just because I point out my dislike for the burka certainly doesn't mean that I think its a sort of tradition that only muslims have. I was talking specifically about the muslim tradition because that was what the thread was about. If I wanted to talk about other traditions like the Golden Lotus that used to be popular in China I would have talked about that instead, yes? Have you followed that so far?

Why, even in that article it shows pictures of different veils that other ethnic groups wear. I'd be an idiot if I didn't notice that other societies have coverings like that.

Now, since there hasn't been a worthy argument in this thread for a while I really 'am' going to sleep. Gnight.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-17 03:56:56  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

Now thats a stretch of the imagination, you silly person you. Just because I point out my dislike for the burka certainly doesn't mean that I think its a sort of tradition that only muslims have. I was talking specifically about the muslim tradition because that was what the thread was about. If I wanted to talk about other traditions like the Golden Lotus that used to be popular in China I would have talked about that instead, yes? Have you followed that so far?

Why, even in that article it shows pictures of different veils that other ethnic groups wear. I'd be an idiot if I didn't notice that other societies have coverings like that.

Now, since there hasn't been a worthy argument in this thread for a while I really 'am' going to sleep. Gnight.

...You were perpetuating the myth that Muslim women need us to come in and save them from their tyrannical husbands, because they're incapable of seeking help on their own. I countered that and explained how that leads to its own form of oppression (the typical imperialist white-man-knows-better stuff of history) and now you're all "I'm not just talking about Muslims!" Uhm, yes you were?
By zahrah 2011-04-17 04:00:19  
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:

...You were perpetuating the myth that Muslim women need us to come in and save them from their tyrannical husbands, because they're incapable of seeking help on their own. I countered that and explained how that leads to its own form of oppression (the typical imperialist white-man-knows-better stuff of history) and now you're all "I'm not just talking about Muslims!" Uhm, yes you were?

Are you in the US? I really want to know.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 04:06:30  
Maybe they do need us to save them you ever thought of that? Because in fact alot of them do. I mean ***did you even read the other thread I linked?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19