users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » A few questions about WHM
A few questions about WHM
First Page 2
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-16 13:56:21  
So... Thinking of leveling WHM as my next mage, and I was wondering a few things:

1) What sets would I need? I know I'd need cure potency but that's about it.

2) Could I get away with mainly Abyssea and AH gear? If not what are the very important pieces I need?

3) Which Atma are best for WHM?

4) What Merits are best?

5) What subs are best?

6) Sorry for asking so many questions recently :(
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-16 14:15:03  
1) Cure Potency set, Idle/Refresh set, Barspell set, HP set for Marthyr/Devotion, Regen spell+ set (2 items), HMP set for outside Aby?

2) Clerick's body and legs, Medicine ring if you want an easy cure potency cap build (you'd then need HP>MP gear), but for the most part Aby and AH gear are all you need

3) MM, Allure, Rescuer are the ones I prefer for my cheap WHM

4) Check the WHM topics (5/5 cure cast and barspell, 5/5 Shellra, 1/5 Protectra, 2-3/5 Devotion, 1-2 Marthyr)

5) /RDM and /SCH
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-16 14:18:52  
Thanks dude, I want to level both THF and WHM soon and you've helped with both >.>
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-16 14:20:13  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Thanks dude, I want to level both THF and WHM soon and you've helped with both >.>

Np, if you decide to lvl WAR-DRK next i'll gladly help with those too lol
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-16 14:20:40  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
So... Thinking of leveling WHM as my next mage, and I was wondering a few things:

Depends on how seriously you want to take WHM. Personally I have: Idle, Cure potency, Barspell potency, Enhancing Magic, Enfeebling Magic, Divine Magic, Resting (though it's rarely used), Cure Cast Time reduction, Generic Fast Cast, Max MND setup, TP Gear, Hexa Gear. Haste and a Cursna/Doom (Max Healing Magic skill) set.

Quote:
2) Could I get away with mainly Abyssea and AH gear? If not what are the very important pieces I need?
For the most part, yes. You'll want to work on the Cure Potency+ Magian Staff (I still don't have it, only halfway through - way too lazy >_>;;). You can get Facio Bliaut's from Echelon's (KI's that you trade in for augmented gear) that give you ~+14% Cure potency.

Otherwise, you'll be able to make a respectable WHM from AH only gear.

Quote:
There is no right answer for this, it's all dependant on situation. If I only need to cure on junk mobs, I'll set 3 Refresh Atmas. If I'm dualboxing a particularly crappy NM, I'll toss up 2 Refresh + Allure (for help Paralyzing/Slowing).

Some WHM that go to proc !!'s with their LS set Regain/Melee atmas aswell as 1 Refresh atma, personally I've never had to though~

Quote:
4) What Merits are best?
WHM is pretty much personal choice in the Merit department. If you can cap Cure Cast Time without 5/5 merits, don't bother with them.

Shellra 5 is a must, there's no excuse for this.

Personally, my merits are: 5/5 Cure Cast Time, 5/5 Barspell Potency (some WHM's prefer Regen over this, if I didn't need CCT- merits, I'd prolly have both this + Regen - It's all up to your preference), 5/5 Shellra V, 4/5 Devotion and 1/5 Martyr.

Quote:
5) What subs are best?
SCH, RDM, BLM are all valid subs inside Abyssea, outside I wouldn't recommend BLM unless you need Stun (/RDM and /SCH offer much more for WHM). SCH is my personal favourite when I'm paying attention, Light Arts alone makes SCH pretty powerful, Stratagems on top just make it even moreso.

Quote:
You will be! Making me lose letters on my keyboard even faster.
 Bismarck.Maxse
サーバ: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-04-16 14:21:57  
[+]
 Ragnarok.Qtip
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: milkme
By Ragnarok.Qtip 2011-04-16 14:24:52  
1) Mostly concentrate on potency > healing speed > refresh, though refresh it not a big deal in Abyssea.

2) Decent WHM gear is really easy to get to start you off. Grab all 3 AF accessories in Abyssea, upgrade your AF head/legs first. Try for some augmented Facio Bliault, you can probably end up with something decent and just skip nobles/AF3+2. Farm the Serpentes set for hands/feet. Earrings and Rings isn't going to make much difference unless you got money for Roundel. That really just leaves waist and ammo, austerity belt is great to conserve mp and I use Incantor stone for ammo.

3) Personally I prefer Allure/MM/Ambition.
Allure for ton of MND and MP
MM is just basic for all mages, refresh+10
Ambition has refresh+5, fast cast, and movement speed

4) I would work on Cure Cast time and Shell.

5) Sub RDM if you think you may run out of MP, SCH if mob does a lot of AOE status ailments, otherwise /blm is just fine in abyssea (great for procing grellow around lights/darksday)
 Asura.Krysanthia
サーバ: Asura
user: krysi
By Asura.Krysanthia 2011-04-16 14:26:14  
since ive fully merited whm for god knows how long
max merits on bar/cure timers/shellra V/ i did 4 into devo/one into martyr& i do have the +2 surya staff cure pot +22% aristocrat coat etcetc im always /sch for aoe ss blink pro V. i love my whm!:)
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-04-16 14:26:30  
While you should ultimately work towards the sets Hitetsu mentioned, you can get along just fine with an Idle set(Refresh, MDT/PDT), Cure Potency Set(with -Enmity if you don't have/don't use Allure Atma), Cure-Cast time/Fastcast and some sort of MND enfeeble set. The rest is mostly icing since Abyssea isn't exactly rocket science.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-04-16 14:28:02  
Ragnarok.Qtip said:
5) Sub RDM if you think you may run out of MP, SCH if mob does a lot of AOE status ailments, otherwise /blm is just fine in abyssea (great for procing grellow around lights/darksday)

Wrong, /SCH is better inside Abyssea for MP efficiency.

/RDM is only if you need Dispel handy, or if you're outside Abyssea.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-16 14:29:44  
If you have someone else to proc, in my opinion, /blm is the best sub inside abyssea for whm. Provided you can stun the mob, its more useful than MP saving techniques which are wasted on a unlimited MP pool. It's also possible to cap, or near cap, cure cast with atma/merits/gear as /blm
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-04-16 14:32:06  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
If you have someone else to proc, in my opinion, /blm is the best sub inside abyssea for whm. Provided you can stun the mob, its more useful than MP saving techniques which are wasted on a unlimited MP pool. It's also possible to cap, or near cap, cure cast with atma/merits/gear as /blm

/SCH takes you past -50% cast-time with Light Arts. But if you don't need it, /BLM is useful.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-16 15:07:31  
Thanks guys, All helpful, I'll post a bit more in depth later kinda in the middle of stuff right now, but it's all helpful ^^ cheers

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-04-16 18:08:15  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
you made a thread with this exact same topic before flion, could just bump it if you're worried about making too many threads

With a post count of over 18k (it's over 9000x2 OMG!!!) I don't think that should be a concirn of his XD
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-16 18:08:48  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
you made a thread with this exact same topic before flion, could just bump it if you're worried about making too many threads

I don't even remember making it lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kiori
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-04-16 18:43:59  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

a) I main my cure potency set personally. If you're in abyssea, no need to worry about mp recovered when healing sets, maybe outside of abyssea if you really find the need for it.

a) This kinda goes along with the cure potency set... I usually end up wearing the af3 hat, legs (switch af3 hands in for regen macros) nobels, and some MP rings and earrings. Serpentense (sp?) set is pretty nice for the regen/refresh and cure potency, but personally I'm looking into other options. Honestly though...the teal gear I never liked for my whm. I put it on once...and played with it in town...and then took it off. Just didn't help me.

a) So far I like MM Allure and Apoc.

4) What Merits are best?

a) Depends what you aim for...I took Regen over bar spells...and a few devotion. (possibly suggesting myrter(sp) )

5) What subs are best?

a) I personally say SCH just because of the casting times and mp cost reduction on spells... Saving MP is just as important as the potency of your spells...more you save...the more you cure. People like RDM, but I don't have RDM leveled for the sub...but honestly I don't see the big hype of it...no conserve mp and spells are the flat rates of what they say...you'll go through mp twice as fast. (my opinion)

a) You are forgiven :)

all this being say is just my personal opinions and how I play my whm.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-04-16 20:28:48  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Ragnarok.Qtip said:

Wrong, /SCH is better inside Abyssea for MP efficiency.

/RDM is only if you need Dispel handy, or if you're outside Abyssea.

/sch gets dispel, granted you`d need to change arts for it.
And /sch is still better than /rdm outside abyssea.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-16 20:33:30  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

trollface? i honestly don't know
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-16 20:33:36  
well that's why she said handy for the dispel part. it's not too much of an issue to fulltime dark arts, but /rdm means you can have fastcast on everything if you don't need /sch for something else.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-16 20:35:20  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

4) What Merits are best?

5) What subs are best?

1. Cure potency, and I'd concider a Cure set with -enm for curagas.
Enfeeb set, sleep etc.
Divine set, probably separate ones for nukes and Repose.
And that's what you kinda NEED, other than those, It's use to have haste stuff for buffs and stun.
And if you have the inventory for it, and want to, you can make a dark magic set for when you /sch, if you wanna take proper use out of drain/aspir.

2. Probably, yes. AF2 body and legs are nice, but not needed.(same for hands)

3. Personally I usually use MM + Allure and then either beyond, a regain atma or Ambition. Varies a bit, but yeah.

4. Cure cast time and bar effect, and 5/5 shellra, 1/5 protectra then 4/5 devotion or 3/5 devotion + 1/5 martyr, up to you kinda.

5. /blm is nice for stun, which usually is way more useful inside abyssea than /rdm or /sch, but both the other subs are great for mp-convserving. (Personal fav. is /sch)

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2011-04-16 20:39:46  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
3. Personally I usually use beyond
on whm? Kvazz? I mean yeah a 1k holy is fun but damn a whole atma slot just to insure it?
Maybe he likes the mob to feel it when he procs yellow? lol
 Sylph.Ixe
サーバ: Sylph
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2011-04-16 20:40:01  
Rescuer Atmas nice for WHM :<

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-04-16 20:55:03  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
on whm? Kvazz? I mean yeah a 1k holy is fun but damn a whole atma slot just to insure it?
Nice to have if you're the only person who can do azure kills!

Also gives a nice boost to flash nova if you're getting amber too, lol.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-04-16 21:13:09  
Asura.Calatilla said:
/sch gets dispel, granted you`d need to change arts for it.
And /sch is still better than /rdm outside abyssea.

As stated, it's for when you need to spam dispel and you don't want to have the Dark Arts hindering your curing.

/sch isn't better than /rdm outside, I *really* don't feel like doing the math, but it's in the forums somewhere. /sch is still a neat/useful sub, it's just not better for MP conservation. See: You don't spam Cure V/VI outside like you do inside, and you don't have as much Refresh from Atma.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-16 21:24:46  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Nice to have if you're the only person who can do azure kills!
First Page 2