Spell Sets
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-13 09:06:11  
Hi Guys!

Admittedly Abyssea-Burned, new to blu, here. Instead of the stereotypical "what five spells does my lazy *** need" thread that someone makes every week I have a different request of the Blu community.

When I look at the list of blu traits I find myself a bit overwhelmed. When i was 10-30ish blu several years back it was easy to just slap on every job trait that I could make and then slip in the 2-3 best DD spells for good measure. It wasn't like I was exactly stacking on the stats and potency for one particular spell like I should have been but I was still more or less effective (for that level range anyhow). Now that there are so many more traits that I can make, AND more than 2-3 "good spells", I am having a hard time getting a foot in the door.

In other words: Can you guys give me some advice on spell-sets that you commonly use for different situations? I just need help getting started with some ideas and then I can tailor things to my needs as situations arise/I get used to blu.

Thanks guys!
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 09:35:12  
Charged whisker, occultation, quad cont, benthic typhoon, whirl of rage, battery charge, ani wail, plenilune embrace, regurgitation, enervation, soporific, plasma charge, aburst, headbutt and dreamflower. Im not on blu atm but I believe that is the spell set I use for solo ki farm I could swap more for what im doing, building pearl or strictly aoe'ing but I leave it like that Quad is useful for finishing off the ones that occasionally half resist whisker or half/full resist whirl and typhoon you can kill quite a few off with it if you position yourself correctly. I used to think typhoon was like a conal attack any mobs lined up would take dmg but it actually "bends" so to speak. I could have a mob infront of me and target a mob to the right of me and typhoon will it one in front then double back and hit one to my side.

Ive checked wiki now it doesnt actually make this clear it says its a front conal 10 yalms. Anyway thats a bit off topic. Besides these spells having gravity, silence, sleeps, dispel, delta thrust, yellow proc spells, thermal/everyons grudge and occasionally might want to set physical spells based on their dmg type blunt/slashing etc so goblin rush >> quad cont when it comes to bones.

But that top spell set I pretty much dont change tbh because I dont use blu for yellow proc in abys just ki/solo farming, and times Ive been on blu and been wanted for yellow proc id swap them in and back out asap.

I forget full list of traits I get with all those spells but dual wield is defo one as i abys as blu/whm and im always dual wield.

Usually when you read of blus soloing nms they sometimes set sub zero smash para, cicimine discharge slow and demoralizing roar attk down. If thats what you plan to use blu for you may want to aquire these.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 09:37:00  
Demoralizing roar is fairly useless, it won't last that long and its not that big of a deal.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-13 09:39:19  
This is exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for (from both of you). I plan on getting all the spells but I wanted a headstart on what's good and what's not so good. I figured if i can start with a couple "starter sets" then I can modify from there for what I need.

Also: Sound Blast took me longer to learn than all the other pre-50 spells combined. Just thought I'd share :/
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 09:45:15  
55 points

headbutt 3
soporific 4
cocoon 1
envervation 5
charged whisker 4
occultation 3
quad cont 4
benthic typhoon 4
whirl of rage 2
battery charge 3
ani wail 5
Pleinlune embrace 4
plasma charge 5
aburst 4
dream flower 3

Ya thats 55.

edit : swap plasma charge for winds of promyvion.
Also now am tempted to swap soporific for sheep song just for one point for sound blast.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 09:47:42  
What is the purpose for that spell set? Doesn't make much sense to set Soporific and dream flower, both dark based sleeps but sop is 1 more point.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 09:52:08  
I set 2 sleeps for a reason, when sleeping lots of mobs say few pulls in my farm one or two will resist, 2 sleeps is nice, and actually once before the same mob resisted soporific too so regurgitation and take a step back. TBH dont need the refresh set in there could take out plasma charge I dont use it and dont need the 1 tick fresh from it but flashga is nice for aga killing.

blu/whm rr/tect/stoneskin/aquaveil/occultation/aniwail/fresh/cocoon >> gather mobs >> pull back >> whirl of rage >> dream flower + soporfic if any resisted >> reapply necessary buffs. Enervation >> burst affinity >> charged whisker >> aburst >> efflux >> chain affinity >> whirl of rage >> should all be dead. Obviously some ppl will want to do things differently or use thermal pulse or be able to kill the lot with just one charged and one whirl but this is how I do it.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-04-13 09:52:22  
cause in abyssea burning, you can't wait for the other sleep to be up if mobs wake up or any number of other reasons and why does it matter what element it is as long as it works on the mob your fighting and you have 2 just to be sure recasts are up?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-04-13 09:58:41  
i dont see the point in plasma charge, set Winds of Promyvion and Actinic Burst - two spells you will actually use...for auto refresh

but heres mine

head butt, quad continuum, battery charge, animating wail, cocoon, dream flower, magic fruit, goblin rush, disseverment, winds of promy, actinic burst, cannonball, charged whisker, and use the rest for grellow spells
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 10:00:33  
Lol rly? winds replaces plasma for fresh anyway? O thanks. Never needed that either solo tbh because I sub whm and get na spells and erase but if that works still useful info for me when solo farming blu/rdm.

Ya just read wiki thanks for bringing that to my attention, will be a permanent fix to the above spell set I posted.

Your spell set is more orientated around pty use where youre doing nms possibly ones with decent def? looking at cannon ball. Shame setting yellow spells kills so many points :/
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-13 10:05:45  
General damage (noting Almace):

Sickle Slash
Triumphant Roar
Disseverment
Actinic Burst
Acrid Stream
Animating Wail
Battery Charge
Goblin Rush
Benthic Typhoon
Quadratic Continuum
Fantod
Empty Thrash
Winds of Promyvion

then add utility spells as necessary.

AoE burn:

Cocoon
Soporific
Sound Blast
Frypan
Enervation
Amplification
Actinic Burst
Plenilune Embrace
Animating Wail
Battery Charge
Whirl of Rage
Dream Flower
Occultation
Charged Whisker
Winds of Promyvion

add spells as necessary.
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-04-13 10:06:37  
cannonball is just for ranged, would use something liked charged whisker on nms
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 10:09:58  
I used to set amplification but just settle with Pleinelune added magic attk, amplification takes a while to cast and after sacking mobs to aga kill id need to cure myself and rebuff anyway.
 Sylph.Quiznor
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-04-13 10:21:28  
Slight derail but speaking of spells and spellsets I'm having some trouble with Charged Whisker damage.Any chance of a good casting set for it? As well as atmas. My main problem is if I pick atmas for it,it usually gimps my physical spell damage output by large numbers and I just cant figure it out.Any help?
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 10:28:34  
I only get 3400 ish charged whisker with rr/mm/ultimate and just fulltime these 3 atma entire time im solo in abys tbh.

Gear set ...

Only 1 ring is 7 int other is 6 int so I lack 1 int there or 1 mab from galdr, need int waist and +2 hands and mab sticks or a jupiters staff which I sold once I got indra and possibly hecate cape over potentia and teal over morri slops. Rest is done afaik.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 10:32:49  
As for sleep build I use this :

Neck and waist I dont have anything I bother to carry around for this build so just use austerity belt and twilight torque. Use austerity in the above mab build too.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-13 10:36:48  
Wowee! I'll have alot of homework reading up on all this tonight but the help is invaluable. Thanks for feedback also Sek! I would have just asked you normally but I'm at work all day now and barely have time for real conversation. :<
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-13 10:37:56  

Ascetic's, Amplification, Enervation+Sound Blast on mobs. BA Charged Whisker.

Set is

Uggalepih or Artemis' Medal accordingly. Some items change if BA is up (which it normally is; gives more priority to DEX, so INT rings change to DEX and stuff).

EDIT: Lion/BlindingHorn/Ultimate atma.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-13 11:41:54  
Nice charged, I think my most is around 3.8k only on 18ish crawlers, perhaps I should consider some dex in places and changing atma after Ive done pearl when im just aga killing. And sound blast too forgot about that, thats int down yea? Would add to charged dmg. 3.4-3.8k is with my posted build burst affinity and pleinelune mab. Most of the dmg difference is coming from staff and a change in atma though I imagine. sound blast then enervation too Id assume as enervation sticks for only like 10 sec.

Gathering mobs on blu with no cpants sucks at times :/
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-04-13 21:08:45  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Wowee! I'll have alot of homework reading up on all this tonight but the help is invaluable. Thanks for feedback also Sek! I would have just asked you normally but I'm at work all day now and barely have time for real conversation. :<
Well, as much as I would love to claim supreme knowledge of blu, I defer to many on this forum when it comes to damage info. But anytime you need something, feel free.

The problem with blu is that there isn't just one way to do it. Now granted my own way focuses heavily on melee and ws damage since I have an almace but I think my largest limiting factor is inventory...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-14 09:02:44  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Well, as much as I would love to claim supreme knowledge of blu, I defer to many on this forum when it comes to damage info. But anytime you need something, feel free. The problem with blu is that there isn't just one way to do it. Now granted my own way focuses heavily on melee and ws damage since I have an almace but I think my largest limiting factor is inventory...

Oh God. I think that'll be my largest problem with blu (and why I never really level'ed mages aside from my cookie cutter rdm). I think when I gave up on PLD i was running around with 78/80 inventory and taking meds/food one at a time from my satchel (AND I wasn't satisfied with the gear i DID have). With all my storage facilities grossly bursting at the seams, I'm definitely going to be gimp on blu to some level. I will need alot of cross-set gear like using Loki's for WS AND for Dex/Agi based skills. It'll be an interesting process for sure.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 11:00:18  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
cause in abyssea burning, you can't wait for the other sleep to be up if mobs wake up or any number of other reasons and why does it matter what element it is as long as it works on the mob your fighting and you have 2 just to be sure recasts are up?

Because even sheep song is less set points which allows more spells? I've done a ton of aoe burning on blu, before it was a bandwagon job with people like Raen and them all over it. I have never needed a second sleep.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 11:11:20  
Sylph.Krsone said:
I only get 3400 ish charged whisker with rr/mm/ultimate and just fulltime these 3 atma entire time im solo in abys tbh.

Gear set ...

Only 1 ring is 7 int other is 6 int so I lack 1 int there or 1 mab from galdr, need int waist and +2 hands and mab sticks or a jupiters staff which I sold once I got indra and possibly hecate cape over potentia and teal over morri slops. Rest is done afaik.

MM is almost completely unnecessary imo. I have +10 tick refresh w/battery charge and gear. Even if you don't have a lot of refresh pieces, there is almost always a restore chest after each pull. If not, use temp items because there is almost always a temp item chest after each pull. Just seems a bit useless.
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
user: ForteGSX
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2011-04-14 11:16:04  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Ascetic's, Amplification, Enervation+Sound Blast on mobs. BA Charged Whisker.

Set is

Uggalepih or Artemis' Medal accordingly. Some items change if BA is up (which it normally is; gives more priority to DEX, so INT rings change to DEX and stuff).

EDIT: Lion/BlindingHorn/Ultimate atma.

I shall one up you !

Lion - Blinding Horn - Ultimate are the only correct choices in atmas.

This wasn't mentioned before, but the list of mobs that I hit with that was massively truncated. We had nearly every bat, nearly every taurus, and every single Garg in the zone for that.

I originally thought it was hilarious that I didn't die instantly to at least a few of them resisting. But from what some of the others informed me, the ones that resisted still got hit with 7k+ so.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 11:23:00  
Set proc obviously.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 11:27:27  
Bahamut.Yoroitsune said:
I shall one up you !

You cheated with cat DEX!
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-14 11:30:47  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Because even sheep song is less set points which allows more spells? I've done a ton of aoe burning on blu, before it was a bandwagon job with people like Raen and them all over it. I have never needed a second sleep.

Bandwagon Blu reporting in!!! At least I'm asking for advice on how to do it right :/ Lately it seems blu's just want all the grellow spells and refresh trait.
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2011-04-14 11:43:27  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Bandwagon Blu reporting in!!! At least I'm asking for advice on how to do it right :/ Lately it seems blu's just want all the grellow spells and refresh trait.

This is pretty much all of what blu is useful for.

AoE TE burning and proc spells.

If you're using it for anything else you're doing it wrong.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 11:45:41  
It's pretty freaking strong!

... although I do have an Almace.
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2011-04-14 11:46:25  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
It's pretty freaking strong!

... although I do have an Almace.

You can be as strong as you want, still won't kill ***as fast as a vert mnk with a whm !
First Page 2 3