users online
Food 101
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Liandaru
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-04-08 22:09:51  
From another conversation in another thread, Slip and I got to talking about food. He gave me some great ideas on foods I've tried to cook and never could get right. We have people from all over the world posting here, with a variety of cuisines to choose from. Everyone has their own take on old favorites. So here's a spot to post your favorite recipes, ask for advice if you can't get a certain food to turn out right, and just flat out discuss everyone's favorite topic: FOOD!

My starting recipe is simple because I need to get to bed and I can't think all that well. Seriously, it's super easy and you probably have everything you need in your kitchen right now.

My Family's Home Made Noodle Recipe

Needed:

3 eggs, flour, water, pinch of salt, medium bowl, rolling pin, paper grocery bag.

*Beat three eggs in a bowl with just a little bit of water. I find using a glass bowl works best because the dough doesn't stick as much to glass versus plastic.

*Add flour a little bit at a time and prepare to get your hands dirty. Add a bit of salt, maybe around a teaspoon. Kneed the flour into the egg mixture until a stiff but moist dough is formed. Don't over-kneed the dough, though, or your noodles will be tough. If you add a little too much flour, just add a bit more water.

*Cut up the paper bag so that you can lay it flat on your counter, table or work space. Sprinkle flour on the paper bag then flatten out the dough with your hands. Sprinkle a little flour over the top of the dough and your rolling pin, then roll out the dough until it's about 1/4 inch (or approximately 1cm) thick. Let dry. Drying time may vary based on how humid your environment is. I usually make these around noon, so that by 5 or 6pm, they're dry enough. Dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the paper.

*When the dough is totally dry, roll it into a cylinder. Using a sharp knife, cut the cylinder like you could celery or a carrot in about 1/4 inch wide strips. Dough should be sort of perforated from where it was rolled. Break apart into boiling water, broth or your favorite stock. Serve with mashed potatoes or anything that would go great with noodles.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-04-08 22:55:04  
What kind of flour do you use?
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 23:10:39  
I like this teriyak chicken I make... don't really have exact amounts.

But basically just mix some teriyaki sauce I use kikkoman dissolve in brown sugar. How much depends on the person really but kinda too taste but idea is to make the teriyaki taste sweet and not like soy sauce anymore.

Put in some boneless skin less chicken breast and marinate for a few hours. Put in a glass dish and cover. Then put in oven at like 350ish. I forget how long it takes but occasionally stir them but basically it's done when the brown color really starts seeping into the chicken. By then it should've been boiling for awhile.

After that depends on the person. Make some rice to go with it stir fry some veggies. I like to stir fry some rice and veggies together with some chicken I've cut up and put some cheddar on it... actually I love a little cheddar on asian food often it works better than it sounds. And everything sticks together yum.

Anyways usually pretty cheap partly cause I'll do like 1/3 a breast with a bowl of rice so it lasts forever and rice is super cheap.
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-08 23:15:49  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I like this teriyak chicken I make... don't really have exact amounts.

But basically just mix some teriyaki sauce I use kikkoman dissolve in brown sugar. How much depends on the person really but kinda too taste but idea is to make the teriyaki taste sweet and not like soy sauce anymore.

Put in some boneless skin less chicken breast and marinate for a few hours. Put in a glass dish and cover. Then put in oven at like 350ish. I forget how long it takes but occasionally stir them but basically it's done when the brown color really starts seeping into the chicken. By then it should've been boiling for awhile.

After that depends on the person. Make some rice to go with it stir fry some veggies. I like to stir fry some rice and veggies together with some chicken I've cut up and put some cheddar on it... actually I love a little cheddar on asian food often it works better than it sounds. And everything sticks together yum.

Anyways usually pretty cheap partly cause I'll do like 1/3 a breast with a bowl of rice so it lasts forever and rice is super cheap.

Sounds good grilled too.
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-04-08 23:45:02  
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 23:53:20  
Ifrit.Zerovirus said:
Sounds good grilled too.
Probably... but the baking or kinda boiling it in it helps get more of the flavor into the chicken.... though I suppose could just put more sauce on or something. Also heats the sauce up since ya know it had chicken germs in it. Also lazy
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-08 23:56:06  
Ramuh.Mizuharu said:
What are those supreme french fries from cause they look awesome
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-04-09 00:04:50  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

Looks like Tacobell.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 00:07:34  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Looks like Tacobell.
Taco bell has french fries!?! Where is this?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-04-09 00:08:09  
I like to make my own pizza. Generally from scratch. Well, okay. Not everything. But the dough! Totally.

I don't really measure it, though. Approximately 2 cups of water microwaved for like 30 seconds to get up to about 100 degrees, then some active dry yeast and my secret ingrediant: a touch of molasses.

Then, get a pile of bread flour and some olive oil, and mix all that crap together, adding more flour if needed. Bread flour's the best, though. The higher the gluten, the better.

As for toppings, I like to be experimental. Most of the time, I'll do the basics. But, on occasion, I will go out of the norm.

One of my favorites had a Barbecue sauce base, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, bratwurst and french fries followed by more cheese.

Pop that badboy in a 500 degree preheated oven with a cookie sheet upside down to act as a pizza stone (I'm broke; if you have a stone, USE IT) for... bah. I dunno. Until it's cooked.

Good stuff. But, I haven't made one in a while. Trying to lose the poundage.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-09 00:11:07  
Bismarck.Magnuss said:
I like to make my own pizza. Generally from scratch. Well, okay. Not everything. But the dough! Totally.

I don't really measure it, though. Approximately 2 cups of water microwaved for like 30 seconds to get up to about 100 degrees, then some active dry yeast and my secret ingrediant: a touch of molasses.

Then, get a pile of bread flour and some olive oil, and mix all that crap together, adding more flour if needed. Bread flour's the best, though. The higher the gluten, the better.

As for toppings, I like to be experimental. Most of the time, I'll do the basics. But, on occasion, I will go out of the norm.

One of my favorites had a Barbecue sauce base, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, bratwurst and french fries followed by more cheese.

Pop that badboy in a 500 degree preheated oven with a cookie sheet upside down to act as a pizza stone (I'm broke; if you have a stone, USE IT) for... bah. I dunno. Until it's cooked.

OMG! Home-made pizza is the best! Have you tried grilling it rather than baking it?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-04-09 00:13:03  
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Magnuss said:

OMG! Home-made pizza is the best! Have you tried grilling it rather than baking it?

Actually, yeah. I have a stone made specifically for the grill. That's awesome, especially if you use mesquite chips and give it some delicious smoky flavor.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-04-09 00:16:47  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Looks like Tacobell.
Taco bell has french fries!?! Where is this?
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/taco-bell/supreme-fries-international/
No clue.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 00:17:43  
If you want to be slighly lazier there are some pretty decent pizza dough mixes out there. Along that note my step mom makes an awesome taco pizza. Basically normal pizza doh but than put ground beef cooked in taco season beans if you want add cheese bake.

Add rabbit food sour creme whatever if wanted on top.
By zahrah 2011-04-09 00:21:46  
Bismarck.Magnuss said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Magnuss said:

Actually, yeah. I have a stone made specifically for the grill. That's awesome, especially if you use mesquite chips and give it some delicious smoky flavor.

I need to try it with mesquite chips next time then!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-04-09 00:34:15  
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Magnuss said:
zahrah said:
Bismarck.Magnuss said:

I need to try it with mesquite chips next time then!

When you do, I'm not sure if you've ever used Mesquite smoking before, but for that, the best thing to do instead of using it as fuel is to first soak it in water for a couple hours before putting it in a smoke box, like:

Then, keep the grill lid closed and just keep the smoker as far away from the side with the pizza as you can and let it do the work by using the steam/smoke to convect and flavor the item indirectly. As for fuel, anything works. Of course, imo wood trumps all.
By zahrah 2011-04-09 00:51:27  
I have one of the cylindrical ones, but I always end up burning myself when renegade ash starts flying. LOL! May need to look into the one you posted above.

Glad you're not a fan of gas grilling either! Can't get the same flavor with gas.
 Leviathan.Erang
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Erang
By Leviathan.Erang 2011-04-09 01:33:13  
I stand firm with Hank Hill.

Besides that, honey badger doesn't give a ***. He eats whatever he wants.

Everyone knows it's all about the grill marks, if you aren't aware then you better axe somebodeh. You ask any 5 star chef he will ask you "if you don't care about grill marks, why the *** are you using a grill?"

Keep it real.
By zahrah 2011-04-09 01:49:50  
Leviathan.Erang said:
I stand firm with Hank Hill.

Besides that, honey badger doesn't give a ***. He eats whatever he wants.

Everyone knows it's all about the grill marks, if you aren't aware then you better axe somebodeh. You ask any 5 star chef he will ask you "if you don't care about grill marks, why the *** are you using a grill?"

Keep it real.

Hank Hill? Oh, Erang...You've disappointed me. Do you eat steak with the consistency of shoe leather too? You're not one who is going to ruin a rib-eye with A-1 or (God, forgive me!) ketchup?

Grill marks be damned! I want the flavor! Medium-rare, blood in my potatoes! YUM!
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 01:54:51  
zahrah said:
Medium-rare, blood in my potatoes! YUM!
Omg I think I'm in love....

jk. But still one of the few people that wouldn't look at me weird when I say that
By zahrah 2011-04-09 02:05:46  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:

jk. But still one of the few people that wouldn't look at me weird when I say that

See, Das knows what I'm talking about! NP. What can I say? I like my meat!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:12:16  
zahrah said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
zahrah said:

See, Das knows what I'm talking about! NP. What can I say? I like my meat!
I'm sure you do.... now I want a steak... a big one. But most resteraunts charge stupid amounts and only have tiny 12 oz ones and ***. Give me a *** 24 oz at least. 32 if I'm hungry

Yeah it's kinda funny cause we always do med-rare at home. But when my sister visited we'd have to put hers down way earlier cause she wants them some past well done... then she puts it in the microwave. The sight/thought of blood or juice disturb her greatly for some reason.

Also mushrooms sautee'd in galic butter top both good too. Along with said blood
 Diabolos.Neclord
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Neclord
By Diabolos.Neclord 2011-04-09 02:12:26  
is there any other way to eat steak? i think not
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:23:08  
Not exactly recipes but I like to do simply little things to make things interesting.

Like grilled cheese sammiches with johnny's seasoning salt on it. Or open face bologna sammich with chilli on it. Or cheese in your ramen.
By zahrah 2011-04-09 02:23:29  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'm sure you do.... now I want a steak... a big one. But most resteraunts charge stupid amounts and only have tiny 12 oz ones and ***. Give me a *** 24 oz at least. 32 if I'm hungry

Yeah it's kinda funny cause we always do med-rare at home. But when my sister visited we'd have to put hers down way earlier cause she wants them some past well done... then she puts it in the microwave. The sight/thought of blood or juice disturb her greatly for some reason.

Also mushrooms sautee'd in galic butter top both good too. Along with said blood

I'm craving steak now too. I totally forgot about the sautee'd goodies! Grilled asparagus on the side! I think I planned my meal for tomorrow!

Diabolos.Neclord said:
is there any other way to eat steak? i think not

Talley is up to three for bloody and delicious! We win!
By zahrah 2011-04-09 02:25:51  
Cedar-plank Salmon is the end all-be all of grilling fish too!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-09 02:28:20  
Also can always use left over steak in pasta for a somewhat healthier eatting. Makes even just plain pasta yummies
By zahrah 2011-04-09 02:31:54  
No steak ATM. I'm going to have to settle for a slice of cheesecake.

It seems like the threads go in the direction of food pretty often. Nice to have one exclusively about food now!
 Diabolos.Neclord
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Neclord
By Diabolos.Neclord 2011-04-09 02:32:02  

no propane grillin here...wood is where its at.
[+]
By zahrah 2011-04-09 02:35:03  
Diabolos.Neclord said:

no propane grillin here...wood is where its at.

That looks incredible!!!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6