フォーラム » FFXI » General » An Industry Rant
An Industry Rant
 Diabolos.Kiddo
サーバ: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Diabolos.Kiddo 2011-03-10 17:40:19  
2 OP

I have been screaming this on deaf ears for a while now, you are not alone sir.
 Unicorn.Kaida
サーバ: Unicorn
user: kaida
By Unicorn.Kaida 2011-03-10 17:44:54  
/cheer
 Phoenix.Ingraham
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-10 17:57:17  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Speaking of Hybrids...Golden Sun.
I love the game lol.
One of the fewer gameboy games that has consistently released pretty good titles that work for me.
I'm just sick of games not challenging anymore.
It's not that they don't necessarily make the games challenging...I think the dawn of the internet age is what killed it for me.
way back when, when i'd be stuck on a part in a videogame i didn't have the internet to rely on for my answers and i would try to do it with my own will, and after beating the game it felt so much more rewarding.
I just get sick of games that push using these stupid *** guides rather than leaving the air of mystery about for it.
For instance, I've been playing Demon's Souls lately and I haven't referred to the internet at all for it.(minus having my roomate check something that wasn't very well spelled out within the game progression as to where that monumental is located in the beginning)

i've had a lot more fun sucking and losing and learning from my own mistakes than referring to X guide for X strategy and all that...i find overly extensive strategy guides to be the bane of a good games existence.
makes people not use their brain anymore and just mindlessly follow a guide rather than intuitively interact with a game more or less IMO.
so difficulty and available information seem to be the thorns in the video game hide for me.

I have no clue what to feel about Golden Sun. The first GBA one felt so lackluster, like some generic console RPG that happened to have cool puzzles. Then Lost Age came along and I fell in love with it, so I have no idea what happened there.

Demon's Souls though... Holy ***, favorite game of late hands down.
Aside from the difficulty that keeps you on your feet, it's probably an example of being an action RPG being incredibly awesome. Even if you strip away it's RPG elements, you still got one helluva action game. On top of it, almost everything feels so intuitive which I feel is very important to RPGs and video games in general. You can pretty much finish the game with any character build you want with a lack of arbitrary obstacles like LOL HE'S IMMUNE TO ICE AND PARALYZE BECAUSE IT'S AN EVENED NUMBER DAY OF THE WEEK.

I have a feeling that the upcoming Dark Souls is gonna be the exact kind of sequel I love. Keeps the main concept, only expanding on it while addressing any problems Demon's Souls had. You'll likely be able to play the original without feeling updated too if this is anything like how From Software handles Armored Core sequels (some unique features that keeps the title standalone).

Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-10 18:04:38  
That's probably why I haven't bought or played a new video game in like, 5~years. Everything "new" is just terribly boring to me; I can't stay engaged..same thing with movies and TV shows too.
[+]
By Taigatan 2011-03-10 18:10:59  
Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
^This
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-10 18:28:57  
Gaming is in puberty right now, trying to fit in and be popular, while also trying to look as pretty as possible, without actually having depth (Teenagers in a nutshell, amirite?). I think at the end of this technological generation, we'll start seeing the great new tools we have, be put to work on the core of a game, rather than the looks of a game.

I think, the only Developer that comes to mind that REALLY got the balance of Progression and preservation, is Fromsoftware (Armored Core Series, Demons' Souls).

We'll wade this shistorm and enter greatness, mark my words!
[+]
By richwood 2011-03-15 14:28:39  
@Jaerik
So watching some videos and came across this, I tend to like RSA vids. How do you feel these ideals apply to the MMO community? Not only with just the player base but the developer base as well.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Beetlejuice
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Beetlejuice 2011-03-15 14:43:35  
Easy to Learn, Hard to Master.

That is the key...
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-03-15 15:09:55  
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-03-15 15:47:10  
Spoilered because its kinda long...

Anyways just my 2 cents in the form of a wallotext
By richwood 2011-03-15 15:51:53  
Asura.Ina said:
Spoilered because its kinda long...

Anyways just my 2 cents in the form of a wallotext

INA (*^.^*) Finsih your kannagi yet?
 Sylph.Skinner
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Skinner 2011-03-15 16:07:56  
Wiki said:
Skinner is noted to have said that he didn't want to be an eponym.

Lad.

Jaerik said:
The problem is, one of the most important things in game design, harped on again and again in nearly every industry presentation or seminar I've ever attended, is Mastery. You need to imbue your players with the feeling that they're attaining Mastery of a particular mechanic in order for them to feel compelled to invest more time.

Wow, i couldn't agree more with this. For a long time i've been asked: "why do you like playing FFXI so much/for so long". My default response has always been 'fun' (simply because i can't pinpoint why). It really is what you've summed up here in a nutshell and i'm sure this goes for a very large amount of the current players who play today!
 Fenrir.Enternius
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-15 16:11:50  
The problem with this logic is that while games have been going on a downward slope since the start of this console generation (Shortening a game to make room for voice overs like Oblivion, or because the graphics are so good that there's no room for any actual content, like Bayonetta), that's unfortunately the way everything has been going over the past 10 years or so.

Video games, movies, TV, music, all much better in the 90s and early 2000s than they are now. It's a slippery slope, one that Square-Enix knows all-too-well. If you want to make money, you don't listen to your fans. You listen to everyone else and try to cater to them.
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
サーバ: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-03-15 16:12:56  
Fenrir.Enternius said:
The problem with this logic is that while games have been going on a downward slope since the start of this console generation (Shortening a game to make room for voice overs like Oblivion, or because the graphics are so good that there's no room for any actual content, like Bayonetta), that's unfortunately the way everything has been going over the past 10 years or so.

Video games, movies, TV, music, all much better in the 90s and early 2000s than they are now. It's a slippery slope, one that Square-Enix knows all-too-well. If you want to make money, you don't listen to your fans. You listen to everyone else and try to cater to them.

opinion
 Phoenix.Ingraham
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-15 16:14:13  
Fenrir.Enternius said:
(Shortening a game to make room for voice overs like Oblivion, or because the graphics are so good that there's no room for any actual content, like Bayonetta)

This is what scares me about voice acting, in a way. Cut down decent dialogue because for some reason, we need to live in an era where every single line must be voiced. That ***must be expensive.
 Fenrir.Enternius
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-15 16:15:36  
Asura.Matzilla said:
Fenrir.Enternius said:

opinion
Opinion, yes. But it's an opinion shared by the vast majority of people that follow any major entertainment medium.
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-03-15 16:22:54  
i was just thinking about oversimplified games.

games i was really looking forward to, new vegas, dragon age 2, mafia 2 (all sequels). i liked the first game in their series, but i come to find playing the squeal that while the story has improved; that the overall game experience has gone down.
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2011-03-15 16:29:43  
Creativity involve failures
Market enemy is failures.
Big Games will be less and less original/crative tommorow, thats for SUR.
Only small compagnies can do originals game, so be ready to look FAR far away from big hits.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-15 16:38:57  
The main problem is people are still buying their games. As long as sales are good they see no reason to change their model.

EDIT: I also haven't bought any new games since Half-Life 2: Episode 2, and even then it got easier than the original.
 Alexander.Lacas
サーバ: Alexander
user: Rakasu
By Alexander.Lacas 2011-03-15 16:44:44  
@Jaerik

I couldn't agree more. In the last few years I have bought less games than I can count on my fingers and it's purely because I am so bored with games which I finish 3 hours after buying it and on top of that paying stupid prices for such little content. I can and have been able to play against my friends on games where I had naver played it before but within an hour or so i'd more or less mastered it and was playing on par with them. Almost every game I have bought recently has been more of a niche title which will last me a long time before I come close to mastering it.
 Siren.Shadee
サーバ: Siren
user: shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-03-15 16:46:39  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
The main problem is people are still buying their games. As long as sales are good they see no reason to change their model.

EDIT: I also haven't bought any new games since Half-Life 2: Episode 2, and even then it got easier than the original.

This is why I download games. I'm a part of the solution! <_<;

Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2011-03-15 17:01:00  
About half way through I unintentionally gave Jaerik the voice of Zero Punctuation

I also may, or may not, have typed out <url=blah blah></url> instead of [ and ].. to many nights fiddling with spellcast scripts..
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2011-03-15 17:04:04  
Oh and btw, keep in mind:
We say in french(kinda) "majority of peoples are more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE than the norm"
 Alexander.Tarantino
サーバ: Alexander
user: Tarantino
By Alexander.Tarantino 2011-03-15 17:18:06  
Reading this thread all i could think about concerning games that are easy to play, but difficult to master was the Command & Conquer series from back when it was Westwood Studios that made the games.

My friends and i had the Originals from when they were released on the original playstation - C&C, C&C Red Alert, and C&C Red Alert: Retaliation. And they were amazing games. Throw in the fun of the link cable system and during school holidays the five of us would disappear for days on end.

Then EA games took over the helm, and slowly but surely they started to go downhill. I still played them, but they are just, well, over-simplified i guess.
Hmm, starting to wander here, so I'll tie it up saying i agree with Jaeriks' original post, and a lot of the stuff brought up subsequently.

/end wall o' text
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-03-15 17:26:01  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Gaming is in puberty right now, trying to fit in and be popular, while also trying to look as pretty as possible, without actually having depth (Teenagers in a nutshell, amirite?). I think at the end of this technological generation, we'll start seeing the great new tools we have, be put to work on the core of a game, rather than the looks of a game. I think, the only Developer that comes to mind that REALLY got the balance of Progression and preservation, is Fromsoftware (Armored Core Series, Demons' Souls). We'll wade this shistorm and enter greatness, mark my words!

Great analogy, the two games im playing at the moment until the servers are back are Deus Ex which is a ten year old PC game and Pokemon Ruby. Just alternating between the two depending on my mood. Pokemon has already been noted here as a game accessible to all providing light entertainment whilst having depth. Deus Ex is imo equally if not more so an in depth RPG you can download it from Steam I believe, its like a hybrid FPS/RPG.

After playing Deus Ex for only a few seconds its obvious the graphics and textures are crap the scenery is basic but despite this the actual level design is decent. The story has good depth, if you miss part of your mission objective you'll get bitched at later by your seniors. You just cant take it at face value aka graphics, have to sit down get playing just like a good book it doesnt necessarily need a fanatastic cinematic experience to leave a lasting impression. Give it a try.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/?snr=1_4_4__13