users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Set Point Colors/Blocks
Set Point Colors/Blocks
 Asura.Bubozk
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tandem
By Asura.Bubozk 2011-02-28 10:52:18  
Okay BLU's, I've been wondering this for a while and seeing as I have never found any information (or anyone else asking the question) thought I'd toss it out there...
[If there's a thread anywhere out there please direct me to it so I can read verified information.]

I cannot be the only BLU in the history of everything to be curious about the color changes on the blue spell set sub-menu. When the set-list is empty all 20 (at lv90) "blocks" are periwinkle in color. When you set any certain number of spells those blocks begin to change colors at what seems like a random combination that match the typical elemental wheel in FFXI.

Now, if the colors were consistently the same when setting any combination of spells; or they only changed when a combination of the same magical-type spells were set; or even when a job trait resulted, I wouldn't be inquisitive. But, they seem completely random or haven't been figured out (or maybe I just don't know.)

After playing around in the menu for a bit it seems that if you set a spell that corresponds the the new color change that the "blocks" have changed to, it switches to another element. But if you do not set a matching spell-type, the "blocks" stay the same color for a few more spells. Sometimes the grouping is 2 identical colors, sometimes 6.

Has anyone played around with this to see if there's... oh I don't know; a mAcc/mAtkB boost? MP reduction cost? Recast times shortened? I highly doubt there would be programming for them to change colors if it did absolutely nothing...

Thanks in advance for any useful information.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-02-28 10:56:01  
I'm not a blue but im pritty sure they mark where you are crossing point set ammounts from every 10 levels... it was for easy refrence back when CoP was still caped at varius levels.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-02-28 10:57:19  
I could be wrong, but for some reason I seem to remember it being there to show which spells you would still keep under level sync in case you lost some of your blue magic points.

This is only a vague random memory, and I have no idea if it's right or not.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-28 10:58:48  
Asura.Ina said:
I'm not a blue but im pritty sure they mark where you are crossing point set ammounts from every 10 levels... it was for easy refrence back when CoP was still caped at varius levels.
^
 Asura.Bubozk
user: Tandem
By Asura.Bubozk 2011-02-28 20:16:02  
You know, I completely forgot about about the color changes being a guide for level caps... I played with spells again and it seems something is still going on though.

Here's what I mean:

According to wikipedia BLU has a limit of 10 blu magic points or a maximum of 6 spells for level 10. So here's what spells I set;

Foot Kick (2 set points, spell #1)
Power Attack (1 set point, spell #2)
Sprout Smack (2 set points, spell #3)
Wild Oats (3 set points, spell #4)
Queasyshroom (2 set points, spell #5)

At this point, according to the level cap theory and the maximum number of blu set points for level 10 (10 set points), the colored blocks should be changing to indicate the next jump in set points/max spells for level 20 which is 15 and 8 respectively. The initial periwinkle color is still present with no color changes to the remaining empty slots.

Battle Dance (3 set points, spell #6)

Again, even with merits present at 90 without being in a level capped party if the theory about max spells/set points were true, wouldn't the colors change at this point to indicate that I had reached my max number of spells for a level 10 cap?

Head Butt (3 set points, spell#7)
Feather Storm (3 set points, spell #8)

Still no changes. This brings it up to 19 set points and 8 spells.

It isn't until setting (in this instance) a 9th spell that I get a menu color change.

Helldive (2 set points, spell #9)

I'm now at 21 set points and 9 spells. Slots 1-8 are the periwinkle color and slots 9-20 have changed to a yellow color.

This doesn't seem to follow the the current theory about having a sub-menu guide for spells vs levels and set points. I'm probably just reaching but almost any feedback is welcomed with ideas or explanations otherwise...