BLMs, Please Listen.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLMs, Please listen.
BLMs, Please listen.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-09 11:40:46  
I'd kinda got it by that point ,_,. Meanie! *growls*

*Edit - lol, this is a ninja-edit war <,<.

*tucks into his bowl of 'de-railabix'*
 Fairy.Basilo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-09 11:41:30  
Cyr said:
Korpg said:
Sucks to be in Bahamut then.

I didn't bother reading past this point, simply for the fact that the thread is filled with overwhelming stupidity(as of page1).

I make all my BLMs sleepga the *** out of everything, and die repeatedly until they figure out how to do it right. They'll learn, just gotta force them.

Additionally, the listed rdm merits in the OP are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Slow2 and Bio3 are the only group2 spells you need on RDM, and even then, slow2 isn't needed if your gear is good enough. As for paralyze, para1 will stick just fine if you merited your ice acc to 5/5, like every non-horrible rdm should, and use a mnd set. *** enfeebling on mnd-based debuffs.

As for gravity? Who the hell uses int on gravity. Int based debuffs are all enfeebling skill, haste, and magic acc.

The discussions among us after Korpg posted his rdm merit crap have been rather productive and of some use to new blms out there seeking the for and against the use of sorc ring in dynamis. You cant really say this thread is filled with anymore stupidity than the average discussion thread. Who the hell uses int on gravity you say? i do check my build theres not alot of it but its there because its widely believe as mentioned by ffwiki that :

"Accuracy (the rate at which the spell 'sticks') for this spell is most highly affected by Enfeebling Magic Skill, Magic Accuracy, and INT."
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-09 11:42:38  
Wooooodum said:
It was just to highlight my point, because you both missed it.

If I had known you were talking about the BLMs specific to your linkshell I would not have had a problem. Apparently I missed the part where you were only talking about the BLMs in your linkshell. I asked what I was missing above and now it's cleared up.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 11:42:54  
don't mind woody saiya, i'll kick his *** in the moghouse for ya lol :P

well this thread was to help new ppl for blm, i'm sure alot of it will make sense to them.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 11:43:28  
I use INT on Gravity, because it raises magic accuracy... <.<

Alyria said:
don't mind woody saiya, i'll kick his *** in the moghouse for ya lol :P

Isn't the idea of a punishment to be something you wouldn't enjoy? :p
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 11:44:44  
Cyr said:
Korpg said:

I didn't bother reading past this point, simply for the fact that the thread is filled with overwhelming stupidity(as of page1).
Then don't post.

Cyr said:
I make all my BLMs sleepga the *** out of everything, and die repeatedly until they figure out how to do it right. They'll learn, just gotta force them.
You could also give them advice rather than letting them all learn by death.

Cyr said:
Additionally, the listed rdm merits in the OP are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Slow2 and Bio3 are the only group2 spells you need on RDM, and even then, slow2 isn't needed if your gear is good enough. As for paralyze, para1 will stick just fine if you merited your ice acc to 5/5, like every non-horrible rdm should, and use a mnd set. *** enfeebling on mnd-based debuffs.
The proc rate on a fully merited para II is absolutely amazing, and bio III fully merited is either not as good, or not much better than bio II from a good blm. Knowing the limits are what makes a good rdm (same applies for most jobs). MND alone is NOT going to guarantee that para sticks on everything you ever cast it on, regardless of your ice accuracy merits, so you need to know how much enfeebling magic skill to put into the equation for each mob.

Cyr said:
As for gravity? Who the hell uses int on gravity. Int based debuffs are all enfeebling skill, haste, and magic acc.
People who want it to stick and understand that you can stick INT in slots where there is no enfeebling magic skill/macc available.
 Bahamut.Danagon
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Danagon
By Bahamut.Danagon 2009-03-09 11:46:59  
Cyr said:

friends forever? :D
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 11:48:56  
Saiya said:
Edit* Wow that was fast, I couldn't even add the <3 to Blazza before you replied.

Tell me about it O_O

There's like, a whole page of people flaming Cyr before I got to finish mine ; ;
 Asura.Yotevol
サーバ: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-09 11:52:18  
I like my BLM.
If I want to go emo and die because I like to see how much damage I can deal, then I'll take w/e raise I can get.

However, if I die because some dumbass accidently casted "Diaga", you bet your *** I'm holding out for a Raise 3, just so I can Raise 1 the dumbass.... lol.
~Yote
 Bahamut.Cyr
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-03-09 11:56:52  
Blazza said:

Cyr said:
You could also give them advice rather than letting them all learn by death.
I am one of the blms. I show by example.

Blazza said:
Cyr said:
The proc rate on a fully merited para II is absolutely amazing, and bio III fully merited is either not as good, or not much better than bio II from a good blm. Knowing the limits are what makes a good rdm (same applies for most jobs). MND alone is NOT going to guarantee that para sticks on everything you ever cast it on, regardless of your ice accuracy merits, so you need to know how much enfeebling magic skill to put into the equation for each mob.
Actually, in most cases, just mnd is enough. And even so, the recast on it is so low that you can afford to cast it once more if it means a full potency para for a fraction of the MP cost. Also, just to clarify, para1 and para2 have the same proc-rate. It is just a matter of how good your gear is ;p

Blazza said:
Cyr said:
People who want it to stick and understand that you can stick INT in slots where there is no enfeebling magic skill/macc available.

Thats where you put haste in. Same goes for bind. Don't need much int for those once you have 341+ enfeeb ;x
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 11:57:30  
@ yote comment

That's why they also have rr2 hairpins so others won't have to always raise you. Instead you waste their mp than keeping reraise up. That's a point alot of ppl make that some blm don't rr up, keep stoneskin/blink up, and then cry over dying.

For someone who casts diaga on a mob, let them die first if you didn't touch the mob. Unless its going to have alliance/party hate then of course do what you can to survive til it wears or dies.
 Bahamut.Cyr
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-03-09 12:05:51  
Basilo said:
Cyr said:
Korpg said:

The discussions among us after Korpg posted his rdm merit crap have been rather productive and of some use to new blms out there seeking the for and against the use of sorc ring in dynamis. You cant really say this thread is filled with anymore stupidity than the average discussion thread. Who the hell uses int on gravity you say? i do check my build theres not alot of it but its there because its widely believe as mentioned by ffwiki that :

"Accuracy (the rate at which the spell 'sticks') for this spell is most highly affected by Enfeebling Magic Skill, Magic Accuracy, and INT."

Oh, I am aware. I think its more of a matter of me never needing to factor in the int, because I'd rather have haste over the magic acc and int. I don't get many resists as is, minus that damn 5% that is unavoidable. Rings are the only slot I use magic acc in for int-based debuffs. Everything else is enfeeb skill, haste, and fastcast(loqu).
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-09 12:06:20  
In dynamis, I die one, maybe two times- if any.
I'm smart about hate and aggro.
It's the main reason why I'm usually chosen to come as BLM and nobody minds that I sub RDM.

~Yote
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-09 12:06:42  
Blazza said:
I see your point, but seems pretty risky to me to rely on pinning it. I've done a lot of kiting around those square rooms in sea and I've never managed to pin anything for any length of time. It's easier to pin along the sides rather than at the corners, but then you're within casting range, and if you lose timing pinning temp for just a second it'll catch up to you and eat you thanks to it's enhanced movement speed.

I'll admit that Tomahawk is a neat trick (I knew about this, but we don't really have any wars), but thanks to the absolute shittiness that is Temps tp moves, I think I'd rather just have 1-2 jobs for each damage type so as not to feed it tp, especially when we usually do it with ~12 people and most blm's also have a melee job they can come as.

However, I may have to consider solo popping it like you suggested. I didn't realise that killing the PH from greater than 50' made it pop unclaimed, and the PH mobs are pretty easy to kill. I've never really put much effort into trying to pin something, so I could give that a proper try, and if I don't get it down I can just hot foot it to the portal. I think I'd rather continually use the portal than sac it if I can't pin it.

However, I think your whole strat sounds like it would be better with more people than we usually have, so maybe we'll just stick with what we know lol ^^ I think we failed our first temp (just) and haven't failed one since.

Basically, our strat is to throw everyone into the farming, as we farm Ghrah's on the way as well (no-one farms in their own time), and the straight tank on rings and poles and kite on blunt mode. Our first attempt we tried kiting it the whole time and throwing smn sam and blu at it as it passed, but we found it grew resistant to gravity too fast. Kiting only during blunt mode (the stupid dangerous mode) stops it's tp gain during this dangerous phase and also prevents it from building too much resistance to gravity. All in all it usually takes us about 10-15 minutes once popped, with no or minimal deaths.

Pinning Temp is actually pretty easy once you've done it a couple times. I dont think you can pin it around the sides as easily, since you utilize the pillars because Temperance will lose line of sight on you. Getting him to temporarily lose line of sight is what I've found causes him to switch directions, thus making pinning possible. But yeah, it does take a certain degree of focus to do, since one mistake usually ends your pinning and turns it into sacing lol

As for making it to a portal and zoning... good luck. With temperance on your heels and the amount of aggro you will no doubt incur along the way to a portal, the chances of your death are much too high. Not to mention the limited amount of time you have before Temperance will despawn (3 minutes after returning to it's original alcove). Even if you managed to survive zoning up, I do not think you would have ample time to zone back down, return to Temp's spawn alcove without aggro, and re-initiate a pull before it despawns. Since I've never tried it, I could be wrong. But I would at the very least expect this to be impossible to pull off without movement speed gear.

While the Tomahawk strategy is definitely better (in this case, better just means faster) with more people, my linkshell has performed the same strat with as little as ten players. We basically just kite until it gets Tomahawked, then it's zerged and straight tanked until Tomahawk wears. Rinse and Repeat.

I like to solo pop Temperance because while I'm working on Temp, the rest of my linkshell can be off doing something more productive (like farming Ix'DRK or something). So it greatly increases the efficiency of our LS farming events.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 12:17:55  
Sovereign said:
As for making it to a portal and zoning... good luck. With temperance on your heels and the amount of aggro you will no doubt incur along the way to a portal, the chances of your death are much too high. Not to mention the limited amount of time you have before Temperance will despawn (3 minutes after returning to it's original alcove). Even if you managed to survive zoning up, I do not think you would have ample time to zone back down, return to Temp's spawn alcove without aggro, and re-initiate a pull before it despawns. Since I've never tried it, I could be wrong. But I would at the very least expect this to be impossible to pull off without movement speed gear.

I should have actually mentioned that my kiting experience in sea is blu/thf (rarely blu/nin for sea) with www.legs. Blu can probably take a hit or two more than blm before dying, and I have managed to zone temp to the teleporter once before on one of our not so prepared for runs. All of sea can be zoned easily (I never both avoiding mobs when I know I'll be using a port in the next 5 minutes) with movement speed, so zoning temp would generally mean that it's only temp beating on you to the portal, and providing you take the right path, you can even reduce that to a minimum. Although, temp hits like a truck, so I still think I'll stick with putting our whole group on it at this stage lol. At least until everyone learns their way around a little better.
 Odin.Darkmoose
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-03-09 12:34:16  
Not trying to derail this to a new thread about Temp, but just wondering if anyone has suggestions for SAM when it goes into "blunt" mode.

I've considered getting a Honebami, but the blunt damage doesn't affect on WS, so that may not be worth it. Typically I have a GK and Polearm so that covers the other two damage, and any MNK or WAR usually cover the blunt damage while I Meditate and rest back HP. However, I feel kind of lame just sitting there watching.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 12:36:37  
bring a blunt weapon that you have capped maybe. if sam can wield a club, club is blunt.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-09 12:39:21  
We only have Monks engage in blunt form because of the TP gain... Optic Induration still remains the only thing Temperance does that can potentially wipe an alliance. No harm in simply waiting for it to change form, he does so often enough.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-03-09 12:47:13  
Staff ~ SAM gets no native Staff skill. That's one option out the window.

Club ~ SAM can only use Deae Gratia & KClub, short of something like a Warp Cudgel. Base skill also very low. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Hand to hand ~ Nothing but barefists.

Honebami ~ Great Katana that deals Blunt Damage, but functions as Slashing for the purpose of Weapon Skills.

Just feel like I must be missing something, but maybe those really are the only options other than Tomahawk zerging.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-09 12:59:13  
Oh right, more on topic:

Any BLM only interested in peak dmg output is a *** moron. All this talk about sorcerers rings and ugg pendants is a waste of conversation when you havent learned the absolute basics of BLM.

#1 Rule of playing BLM: An epeen nuke is absolutely worthless if you're dead the next second.

That being said, BLMs should build a proper standing gear setup before thinking about anything else. 90% of the time you're playing BLM, you're standing around or running from things. Nuking setups do absolutely nothing for you unless you're actively casting a spell. A good standing setup will increase the efficiency of your BLM by prolonging thier life, as well as regaining some MP.

A standing setup consists of the following stats, in order of importance: -% dmg taken; enmity down; auto-refresh; MP+. Anything else you put in your standing setup is all but useless.

A good BLM will be in this setup any time he is not actively casting. This means whether he's just standing around, or he pulled hate and is kiting a mob.

Any BLM without a good standing setup is basically just a glass cannon... which is all but useless during a fight. You'll spend more time face down in the dirt than you will contributing to the battle. I seriously want to /cry every time I see a BLM try to kite something without an earth staff.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-03-09 13:11:24  
Sovereign said:
Oh right, more on topic:

#1 Rule of playing BLM: An epeen nuke is absolutely worthless if you're dead the next second.

You'll spend more time face down in the dirt than you will contributing to the battle.

I seriously want to /cry every time I see a BLM try to kite something without an earth staff.

Amen x 3 (#1 applies to Melee DDs also)

Maybe it's just because I hit 75 on WHM first, but I think you have hit the core of the matter, that if you're dead, you aren't helping anyone.

It's actually crazy that I look forward to going to Dynamis on BLM someday (I know I'm a damn fine WHM, but I have a feeling they will be ok with me coming on BLM).

One of the best/smartest kiters in my LS is one of our BLMs. He definitely has a lot of experience in kiting, and he does it well. He pulls hate, but he almost always manages to lose it without doing it via death. Of course, I tease him with the screenshot of "----- is defeated by Genbu." LMAO
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 13:18:03  
I agree, I tend to kite more than the blm's in our ls. I guess because I use the strategy from the jailers in sea. I at least kite long enough for someone to grab it back or give enough time for another to prepare to kite too. I actually like kiting using my blm, makes me feel useful lol.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-09 13:19:12  
Aramina said:
It's actually crazy that I look forward to going to Dynamis on BLM someday (I know I'm a damn fine WHM, but I have a feeling they will be ok with me coming on BLM).

lol once you goto Dynamis as BLM you are locked in. You'll be BLM for the rest of your Dynamis life ^^
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-03-09 13:47:21  
Same could be said for going on WHM or PLD and displaying a level of skill somewhere above "RTard"

EDIT: And I'm a R3 Nazi, too... You can't bother to come without a buffer, if it wasn't a last minute unexpected job change, hope you like R1 and 74.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 13:54:06  
I think everyone should have a buffer at 75, especially if you know you might die or there is a chance u die from whatever the situation may be. I have someone in our ls who thinks 5k-10k is a good enough buffer and delvls more than anyone I know in the game... Though he is one you can tell to go and cast dia on Jormy, and he will..

Buffer on blm is a must i dont care, there's enough time to go use your emperor/ess band and go solo or pt for a buffer.
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-09 15:45:26  
Being an Elvaan 75BLM/37RDM, I offer my gear up for criticism.
Keep in mind, that I have 73% HP, for my ring.
It's well rounded for dynamis and great for puddings.
Merits- 5/8 Enfeebling
6/8 Elemental
6/8 Lightning Potency
5/8 Ice Potency

Here it is: BLM

~Yote
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-09 15:49:18
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Looks good Yote, except I wouldn't mix HQ ice staff w/ thunder grip, and I'd get a phantom earring too ;3
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 15:53:11  
I agree lol, I looked at the same items. And start doing salvage and get your *** a morrigan's robe!!! lol j/k I was just gonna say get rid of that antivenom earring. In my opinion I'd suggest an elemental torque over your philo stole but I may get a bunch of crap on that. If you do sea, try to get prudence torque. :) I'm still after it atm but I have elemental torque atm.
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-09 15:53:17  
Eh... yah... I have Ice/Earth/Wind/Thunder grips.
Unfortunately, I only have 1 HQ staff... lol

I have spider torque for enfeebles too.
I should get ele torque, I have the seals for the BCNM, but haven't had the time.
I'll be damned if I pay for that torque!

I'm down to my last 5 million gil! D:

I'll try and get a phantom earring... or maybe quest a diff one with similar stats.
~Yote
 Fenrir.Alijah
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-03-09 15:55:31  
Alyria said:
I agree lol, I looked at the same items. And start doing salvage and get your *** a morrigan's robe!!! lol j/k I was just gonna say get rid of that antivenom earring. In my opinion I'd suggest an elemental torque over your philo stole but I may get a bunch of crap on that. If you do sea, try to get prudence torque. :) I'm still after it atm but I have elemental torque atm.

Philomath stole, while 'lolnq' is actually a decent, under appreciated bit of gear if you don't have the cash for the torque. Of course, if you have the gil for the torque, grab it the first chance you get. But if you don't by all means, you'll be ok for a few months while you wait.

I just got my Prudence a few weeks ago, too! I love it! Thanks Speshul LS <3
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10