users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Holy Bolts in Abyssea
Holy Bolts in Abyssea
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2011-02-08 10:43:07  
I am wondering if anyone has given a Holy Bolt setup a play around in Abyssea, as with +30 MND from Atma of Allure and +50 from Cruor buffs (on top of a tailor made MND setup), you could reach some pretty big amounts of MND. Has anyone tried this, and can anyone comment whether it's good or not?

I have found my normal damage to be a little lacklustre compared to other jobs and have even been playing with Trueflight to see if that can perform better. It seems magical abilities work a lot better on most Abyssean monsters.

By the way, please be kind to any ignorance. I quit the game for 5 months and am still catching up with Abyssea.

Thanks in advance!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-08 10:48:12  
lolrng lolcor

jk, wb wooooo ;)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-08 11:00:15  
Never seen anybody try that, why not just give it a go?

But tbh, seems like Empyreal/woe weapons are the only way to go for ranger now.

Need moar cat-avatar!
 Cerberus.Weegie
user: Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2011-02-08 11:06:04  
You can get some bigger numbers. Sadly, they are still beaten out by using a crit-hit build.

Atma of the Beyond is nice for it if you want to toss just one atma on for Holy Bolts. Its all about the MAB, and works well for Trueflgiht as well.

Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, and Beyond would be my suggestion for max holy bolt spam damage. You can get 50-70+ MND already just from the cruor prospector (not even talking about what gear-bonus you can add), so you tend to get more benefit from Magic Attack Bonus for things in abyssea.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2011-02-08 11:29:26  
I am going to give it a try, however if somebody could outright tell me it's a waste of time it would save me wasting that time... lol. Thanks for the advice though you two, I think I will definitely try this out.

The unfortunate problem with quitting for 5 months is my RNG is nowhere near as well geared as it should be, which means until it is I need to consider how to raise my damage, lol.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2011-02-13 23:36:30  
For anyone remotely interested, with Atma of the Beyond and Atma of the Ultimate on, Holy Bolt additional effects were breaking 100 without any specific MND setup. Obviously this was lower on monsters with a magical resistance. I've been using Apollo's Staff as well because it makes a noticeably big difference to both Holy Bolts and Trueflight.

Trueflight has been doing exceptional damage in Abyssea. Highest so far is 4103 which was on Ironclad Sunderer, with the strongest Ascetics drink on. It's really worth a try if you're looking for fun ways to play around. Don't forget it's 100% accurate, which is great for evasive monsters.

Bring on Wildfire!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-02-14 00:26:28  
I have a basically fully built holy bolt build if you'd care to check it. Tried a few different atma combos and so far it has been lack luster :\
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-14 00:27:23  
Wildfire would still do more though. Twice the agi mod 1.5 higher ftp at 100%. Plus cooler skillchaining
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-02-14 00:31:38  
Trueflight has the slight advantage of having a combo MAB/elemental atma too (beyond), not something to be discounted. And it's a lot faster to get than a wildfire gun, lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-14 00:39:27  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Trueflight has the slight advantage of having a combo MAB/elemental atma too (beyond), not something to be discounted. And it's a lot faster to get than a wildfire gun, lol.
True that but that doesn't make up for it's disadvantages.
 Bismarck.Calina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-02-14 00:55:28  
Ive played around with holy bolt builds and its alright if you have trueflight and Machine Crossbow. but for me vision bow still wins.

Also from what ive done crit build without emp bow ws is worthless. VV SA and SB on exp mobs with 84+200str i average around 350-450(depending on the mob) a hit NM's around 200-230 with ws 3-4k on exp mobs around 2k on NM's.

with crit build on exp mobs 200 normal 300-400 crits ws's around 1500-2k and never even bothered testing on NM's after the lackluster proformance on exp mobs.

now with the emp ws from what ive seen first hand crit build is insane but without the ws stick with reflugent arrow and VV, stout arm, and smiting bow(<3 this atma with reflugent arrow^^)

EDIT: tho none of my testing was done on birds so maybe crit build would be viable for a bird pt idk