Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 15163 15164 15165 ... 22715 22716 22717
By Jetackuu 2014-08-03 21:41:21  
I'd actually like to see that "proof" because as long as it can play all the bands and has proper gain if it's powered it doesn't make a ***how much you spend on it.

Not to mention it also varies depending on the quality of your source, but not everyone rips in FLAC,
 Fenrir.Weakness
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-08-03 21:41:26  
Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Is that the case with those Dre Beats I keep seeing all over the place?

Beats are awful headphones to be honest. They are cheaply made, and poor sound quality (boomy muddy bass) that are marketed as high end. For the $300 the top of the line Beats cost you can spend half and get an amazing pair from Audio-Technica or the same amount and get good quality/sound from V-MODA if style is your issue.

Personally a fan of Sennheiser and Shure. Have heard AKG 701's as well, which were nice but not my favorite.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-03 21:44:18  
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
But everyone has their own preferences on what things are worth.
You've got a point. I've been thinking about saving up to get a Gibson Les Paul.

And of course, I'd need an amp for that. Maybe something in a Marshall half stack...
サーバ: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Allyha
By Allyha Kiade 2014-08-03 21:47:01  
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Allyha Kiade said: »
I spent $140 on my first pair of decent headphones mostly cause of the extended warranty. I replaced them twice because of a defect at the jack, 90 degree elbow had a tendency to break. After the second time bose changed the design and the third pair I still have 5 years later.

Sometimes its a matter of quality. The prices may be justified by workmanship.
Most exorbitant prices are mostly because of the brand name, rather than workmanship.

Bose isn't exactly a propagator of workmanship, and have costly warrantees, mostly to keep their employees, well, employed.

Honestly, I've found some of the not-so-well known brand names to be just as good, or even better than most of the brand names I've tried, and have lasted much longer.
The warranty on the bose set was actually a future shop extended that was only like $30 for 4 years. The set i had before those were some old Senheiser 433. Senheiser is still a fairly well known brand but these were only maybe $60 when i got them? I can't really remember cause it was like more than 10 years ago I bet. lol
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-08-03 21:49:49  
Jetackuu said: »
I'd actually like to see that "proof" because as long as it can play all the bands and has proper gain if it's powered it doesn't make a ***how much you spend on it.

Not to mention it also varies depending on the quality of your source, but not everyone rips in FLAC,

Searching for it now, but it was done with loudspeakers over headphones, but the concept applies to headphones as well. It has been done with amplifiers too. In theory two amps putting out the same power should sound the same, but different parts and designs add color for some reason (see solid state vs tube amps). And while all DACs do the same thing, different designs add colorization as well, showing that even though there isn't a measurable electronic difference in quality, the is for some reason a sonic difference made.

I used to believe it was utter BS as well to be honest, but then started to experiment with headphones. Started with a pair of Bose AE2's, moved to Shure 440's, sampled some Sennheiser HD 280's, AKG 701, Sennheiser HD 598, and am currently using Sennheiser HD 650's. Despite many having similar specs, they all sound vastly different from one another.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-03 21:56:47  
Yeah... calling horseshit tbh, and there's an electronic reason for the sound difference in tube vs transistor amplifiers.

Two amps in the same phase at the same frequency will sound the same, if the input is the same and the gain is the same, unless there's noise caused by the circuit (or nature).
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-08-03 21:59:33  
http://gizmodo.com/5214792/giz-explains-the-difference-between-100--and-100000-speakers

Still looking for the specific one that was basically an ABX test with loudspeakers.

Yeah... calling horseshit tbh, and there's an electronic reason for the sound difference in tube vs transistor amplifiers.

Two amps in the same phase at the same frequency will sound the same, if the input is the same and the gain is the same, unless there's noise caused by the circuit (or nature).

Meh, I had a JDS O2 and a Schiit Magni which are virtually identical in terms of stats... the magni sounded better to me (more clear and higher level of detail).
By Jetackuu 2014-08-03 22:04:40  
See that's the thing, it's subjective, and there's no way to definitively test something that's subjective, annnnnd I'm tip deep in dynamis right now, so will look over that later.
 Odin.Minefield
サーバ: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-08-03 22:04:42  
Feels like I'm the only one that buys things, and they never break.

Treat my ***like the holy grail.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-03 22:05:40  
See that's the thing, it's subjective, and there's no way to definitively test something that's subjective.
And yet the education system has been trying to do just that for decades.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-03 22:05:58  
Odin.Minefield said: »

/breaks your holy grail
By Allyha Kiade 2014-08-03 22:12:05  
Odin.Minefield said: »

My stuff very rarely breaks outside of manufacturer defects. I have over $2000 worth of tools in my toolbox, some over 5 years old. that are still in near new condition cause I know how to treat them. Also, the most satisfying thing about owning your own tools is telling people who ask to borrow them "no". lol
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-08-03 22:16:15  
You got that right, I've grown hesitant on letting anyone borrowing anything of mine due to ...complications.

My ***breaks when I let people borrow it, to be blunt. *** it
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-03 22:18:46  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Sounds like a shitty life to look forward too, treasuring all your possessions so urgently

Let your ***break and let your friends/family break it nerds! it's just trivial objects! Don't be so attached to crap
/reaches into Josi's toilet and breaks his ***

Yeah, I'm questioning that one, myself.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-08-03 22:19:20  
See that's the thing, it's subjective, and there's no way to definitively test something that's subjective, annnnnd I'm tip deep in dynamis right now, so will look over that later.

Everything in life is subjective seeing as you're the only one who can tell you what you sense.

The best analogy I can come up with for my preference in audio equipment is this. Some people prefer Chevy to Ford, some people prefer luxury cars to sports cars.

I feel that I can honestly tell the difference between my headphones, amps, tubes, etc and have stumbled on a combo I am currently happy with. While the majority of people tend to like a brighter sound from testing (still searching, can't remember what the damned article was called and my google-fu is failing... about to have to click through head-fi to find it), only you can say what you enjoy or not.

Meh, if you're happy with the headphones that came with your phone then that's you. I try not to knock what people enjoy (until they claim that their $10 headphones are equal/better than mine without ever listening to my set up).
 Odin.Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-08-03 22:21:09  
I'd rather keep my stuff in working order, thanks.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-08-03 22:24:19  
Sounds like a shitty life to look forward too, treasuring all your possessions so urgently

Let your ***break and let your friends/family break it nerds! it's just trivial objects! Don't be so attached to crap

I don't really like my family as is... if they broke anything of mine that I cared for, be it truck/motorcycle/headphones, I'd gladly lynch them or make them pay for it.

More of the effort/work/money/what have you that was put into obtaining said object that gives it significance than necessarily treasuring an object. Think of all those internet shinies you obtained in FFXI that you put in effort for that have significance to you, same concept.
サーバ: Balmung
By Raein Tilgung 2014-08-03 22:25:23  

It has nothing to do with treasuring something. Some people just don't want to have to needlessly replace ***that shouldn't be getting broken. Especially when money is tight.

I'm especially annoyed when family or friends break something of mine, you'd think people close to you would treat your stuff with more respect.
[+]
By Allyha Kiade 2014-08-03 22:30:42  
Yeah when you have expensive things and work with idiots, it's not a matter of sadism. I'm gonna protect them from having to buy me new ones when they blunder about and break things.

Just the other day I scored a set of Mitutoyo gauge blocks from the hock shop. I saw the box and got one of the people to open the case so i could look at them, picked up first one, and they were brand freaking new. bought them for $200. They're worth upwards of $650 brand new. Wont let other people touch them because even slight scratches can ruin a set.

Post deleted by User.
By Allyha Kiade 2014-08-03 22:34:08  
I know that nobody cares, and hence why they don't use my things. I see what they do to their own tools and just rather it not happen to mine.
[+]
By Hinamori 2014-08-03 22:36:54  
Sophie Tilgung said: »

It has nothing to do with treasuring something. Some people just don't want to have to needlessly replace ***that shouldn't be getting broken. Especially when money is tight.

I'm especially annoyed when family or friends break something of mine, you'd think people close to you would treat your stuff with more respect.

That and if anyone broke an heirloom of my family (Such as my grandfather's officer tanto, or the fine china in our cabinet) just buying new ones won't do it. Some things have huge sentimental value ._.
[+]
サーバ: Balmung
By Raein Tilgung 2014-08-03 22:41:08  
You set yourself up for disappointment with that mindset, need to realize no one will ever care as much as you do
Which is why I don't let them use my stuff anymore. I got sick of replacing stuff because they don't respect it. Or having to wait for my birthday/christmas to get it replaced when I was a kid.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-08-03 22:43:01  
You set yourself up for disappointment with that mindset, need to realize no one will ever care as much as you do
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-08-03 22:44:18  
Tokyo Censor
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-08-03 22:56:15  
Why Kitty, whyyy