users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Abyssea 30-90 {wut do}
Abyssea 30-90 {wut do}
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-30 11:21:22  
I have nothing against burning a job to 90, as long as you still plan on playing it properly. I know plenty of people that leveled all their jobs the "correct" way and suck total balls, so that kinda kills the argument right there.

As for what you need to with blu now that you've burnt it to 90, you need to get it to the point where it would be if you didn't burn it.

Skill-up: 300+ at minimum.

Gear correctly: Absolute minimum of two full gear sets; tp and physical spell builds. On top of that, depending on how good/involved you want to be, you'll need curing and magical nuking sets, a macc set (less important in abyssea), ws sets, tanking/pdt set, and possibly a couple variations on your physical and magical spell builds to cater to different spells. Once upon a time, a HP set and a hmp set were both incredibly useful, and even a CHR set for eyes on me, but I wouldn't bother with those any more.

Get your spells: Do NOT just get your grellow spells. If you do this, all you'll ever be is a grellow ***, when blu has so much more to offer in abyssea. However, here's the spells I use the most if you want to know where to start (going from my head):

Actinic Burst
Winds of Promyvion

Magic Fruit
Diamondhide
Occultation
Cocoon
Animating Wail

Head Butt
Disseverement
Quadratic Continuum
Goblin Rush
Vanity Dive
Benthic Typhoon
Whirl of Rage

Regurgitation
Charged Whisker
Thermal Pulse
Everyone's Grudge
Dream Flower

Granted, that's for my particular playing style, and you have to find your own, but aside from grellow, I rarely use anything outside those spells. (except Memento Mori and Sound Blast for aoe farming)
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-30 11:24:33  
Alexander.Odaka said:
lol. this isnt my only character, i've played blu before, but now that i've burned my blu from 30-90 i didnt know what to do now.

so, yea.

edit - played pre-abyssea*

Well damn it crap. That, and the fact that I am well rested and polite, puts a whole new light on it. Sorry.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-30 11:27:34  
Quote:
Get your spells: Do NOT just get your grellow spells. If you do this, all you'll ever be is a grellow ***, when blu has so much more to offer in abyssea.

While this may or may not be true, we both know grellow is the only reason blu gets invited to begin with!
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-31 09:21:03  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Get your spells: Do NOT just get your grellow spells. If you do this, all you'll ever be is a grellow ***, when blu has so much more to offer in abyssea.

While this may or may not be true, we both know grellow is the only reason blu gets invited to begin with!
99 times out of a 100, probably. But then 99 out of 100 blus are *** idiots anyway *shrug*
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-01-31 09:24:00  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

I get invited for my large chunks of damage and azure kills! :D

For exp, anyway.

I really am pretty useless against NMs after I proc yellow.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2011-02-09 22:57:38  
Odaka no shame really in leeching a job up its not like ppl will join a level sync pt anyways

hell i started leeching my blm from 65-75 ignore the haters

to let u know at one point i was a real shitty blu till i got on the ball hell i still dont have Homam but im working on getting it now

anywho dude just do your best Blazza posted a good bite of advice for you

also if u guys really care for the *** job why bother giving the dude a hard time?
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-09 23:15:51  
Alexander.Odaka said:
because i abyssea burned my blue mage means i wont play the job right?

*** yeah.

*** yeah.

BLU is not one of the jobs that you can ABBY burn, even if you have capped skill, and good gear, and all your spells, you still need to know how to play it. EXPing either solo or in a party teaches you how to cast, when to cast what, etc;. you should not have burned.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-02-09 23:17:06  
Shiva.Khimaira said:
Alexander.Odaka said:

*** yeah.

*** yeah.

BLU is not one of the jobs that you can ABBY burn, even if you have capped skill, and good gear, and all your spells, you still need to know how to play it. EXPing either solo or in a party teaches you how to cast, when to cast what, etc;. you should not have burned.
I agree with this but only to a certain point.

You can't burn BLU up in abyssea and expect to perform as well as seasoned BLUs immediately. There's no spell buying involved, just tedious learning and skilling up to learn more. It's not hard to learn spells but since it's necessary to have appropriate skill, it's different from, say, abyssea burning BLM or something.
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-09 23:23:31  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Shiva.Khimaira said:
Alexander.Odaka said:

*** yeah.

*** yeah.

You can't burn BLU up in abyssea and expect to perform as well as seasoned BLUs immediately. There's no spell buying involved, just tedious learning and skilling up to learn more. It's not hard to learn spells but since it's necessary to have appropriate skill, it's different from, say, abyssea burning BLM or something.

I suppose if you're willing to put the effort in, it's fine to burn it. Problem is, damn near no one is. Someone offered me 500k to solo the spells for them from Lamiae and Merrow. I asked if they had sufficient skill, they said, oh yeah my skill is at 90. Not 90 cap. 90 skill. /sigh
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-02-09 23:24:18  
i burned up blu from lvl 49 and it took me nearly 2 weeks just to get all the spells up to lvl 85

after that i just stopped learning them because i didn't feel like spending any more time on the job >_>

might pick it up again at some point but spending weeks learning spells isn't fun >_<
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-02-09 23:26:41  
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
i burned up blu from lvl 49 and it took me nearly 2 weeks just to get all the spells up to lvl 85

after that i just stopped learning them because i didn't feel like spending any more time on the job >_>

might pick it up again at some point but spending weeks learning spells isn't fun >_<
This is why you do it on the way up. :3
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-02-09 23:27:12  
Shiva.Khimaira said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Shiva.Khimaira said:
Alexander.Odaka said:

*** yeah.

*** yeah.

I suppose if you're willing to put the effort in, it's fine to burn it. Problem is, damn near no one is. Someone offered me 500k to solo the spells for them from Lamiae and Merrow. I asked if they had sufficient skill, they said, oh yeah my skill is at 90. Not 90 cap. 90 skill. /sigh
I bet that guy I know is still running around with Bludgeon set. >__>
 Lakshmi.Darknesss
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: darknesss
By Lakshmi.Darknesss 2011-02-09 23:28:05  
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/BLU
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-09 23:34:53  
My BLU is still lacking a lot. Burning it has been the hardest game of playing catch up by far. Im too scared to play it unless I learn everything possible/relevant
 Gilgamesh.Nokioki
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: nokioki
By Gilgamesh.Nokioki 2011-02-10 08:01:16  
I burned mine up in 3-4 sessions, however, what probably makes me different from some others is that between each burn session I took time to learn relevent spells for the current level and skill-up to a reasonable level too.

I've been level 90 for about 2 weeks, almost fully merited, blue magic skill is at 342 + 2 merits have lots of different sets (tp, ws(s), phys str, phys dex, magic nuke (MND and INT), magic acc, idle auto refresh, etc etc).

I'm only missing a few spells - i've worked hard getting it this way, I already out-perform the 2 blu's we had in our linkshell before I levelled it up.

I guess the difference is that some people level stuff up burn style just have a range of jobs at 90, others do it because that's the way you do it these days, then you learn the job while having fun at 90. It probably helped that I have Dancer and Red Mage fully geared up and a lot of stuff transfers over from those jobs, and that I have an Almace at level 85 helps as well - FYI my damage on NMs is every bit as good as our heavy DD's, Chant Du Cygne > CA Efflux Vertical Cleave or Goblin Rush means I just did 6k damage in a few seconds :) then a BA Convergence Everyone's Grudge does another 2-3k.

I'm having way more fun at Linkshell events now than being in the constant haste/refresh cycle of RDM - I can do curing still, erase my party, I can slow and paralyze the mobs still and I can do hefty damage.

Blue Mage is the funnest job ever!
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-02-10 08:34:04  
Noki, you're probably a better BLU than I am right now. /sadface
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-02-10 09:10:22  
Well my BLu was 62 when I burned it. I try to research what I can about my jobs, ask friends, get more then one opinion on the matter.