New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » yet another thread on gear sets
yet another thread on gear sets
 Sylph.Bodhizapha
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Bodhizapha 2011-01-12 18:02:51  
i've always enjoyed the gear set threads. its nice seeing what other blus are using, and i'm usually able to learn a few things. i finally made my own gear sets, so figured i'd post them here for the scrutiny of the blu community and hopefully pick up some advice and other tidbits of info.

tp:

shamshir is the str one

str:

dex (mostly for VD):

agi (for benthic typhoon):

i have been trying to use items that are of multipurpose use and able to be used in more than one build. but i think if i really want the 'shock and awe' im going to need to specialize more in my gear choices, so im hoping the blu community will point me in the right direction

also the biggest question i have is when to sacrifice str for dex or agi when str is not a modifier? for example, in my dex build i use enkidu's Mitts for the dex and str +4. since dex is the only modifier for VD should i sacrifice the 4 str for 1 more dex and just wear mirage bazubands for 5 dex? (talking about my present build here, when i can get higher dex gloves i will)

i have other examples of this, especially in my agi build, of when to get 1 or 2 more agi at the cost of 4 or 5 str. so heres where im hoping to get some wisdom and insight. i have other questions, but im sure once my builds are scrutinized and commented on, those will probably be answered.

ill probably post about int, mab and mag acc builds at another time, but please if you have a good build, please post it. thx again.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-13 07:35:47  
I don't know about the Ulthalam's Ring. Personally, I would rather use Heed Ring, but I guess I could see where people would appreciate 4 attack. Accuracy is kind of whatever now for most things, and on the things that are tough to hit(Flame Skinner at low HP), you can have a separate build for that.

Heafoc Mitts would be good for your STR build. Could do Alkyoneus's until you get your hands(lol, puns) on them. 9 more STR at the cost of 8 DEX and some accuracy, your call.

Some nice builds. I was away from the game for nearly the entire part of the first new expansion so it's nice to see your DEX and AGI builds for my own interests. A lot of those things are reasonably priced on AH so I guess it's just going to be trouble fitting them into my inventory.

How is that sword, by the way? I really want one now that we know it's 10% Fast Cast 5% Recast. That, AF3+2 body, and Merciless Matriarch Atma could probably do some serious headbutt stunning. 10% Fast Cast from sword, 15% from /rdm or 10% from job trait, 2% from Loquacious, 4% from Homam, and -12% casting time from AF3+2 body. Makes for some seriously fast headbutts.

Wewt headbutt~
 Cerberus.Sey
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Sey
By Cerberus.Sey 2011-01-21 10:51:56  
Instead of making a new topic, I'll bump this one. I know that Benthic Typhoon is AGI 60% but I just can't shy away from losing too much STR.

Mavi Kavuk +1 because I only use this spell for Darkness skillchains.
Just wondering are others holding onto STR also or should I overdose on AGI (even in STR slots).
 Sylph.Bodhizapha
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Bodhizapha 2011-01-22 08:37:03  
i'm with you cerb, that has been and still is my question, here's hoping we get some answers
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-22 11:16:52  
Cerberus.Sey said:
Instead of making a new topic, I'll bump this one. I know that Benthic Typhoon is AGI 60% but I just can't shy away from losing too much STR.

Mavi Kavuk +1 because I only use this spell for Darkness skillchains.
Just wondering are others holding onto STR also or should I overdose on AGI (even in STR slots).
Inside Abyssea, you're more than likely fSTR capped with VV atma and some basic STR gear. Even outside, it's a 60% mod. I'd load up on the AGI where possible provided you can get it in significant quantities. On that note, if you only ever use Benthic Typhoon with CA active I'd swap Magus Jubbah +1 for Loki's Kaftan.
 Shiva.Kollosis
サーバ: Shiva
user: Kollosis
By Shiva.Kollosis 2011-01-23 05:22:12  
TP:

I Only use Kaftan until af3 body :( 9/10 seals

Charged Whisker/Other:

My current setup.. pulls decent numbers for helping with cleaves/brewing things.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-23 05:23:57  
Dex is alot more useful on Charged whisker if you are using burst affinity. Barely worse otherwise... like really depends on rounding lol
 Shiva.Kollosis
サーバ: Shiva
user: Kollosis
By Shiva.Kollosis 2011-01-23 05:33:38  
eh, true, but it does good enough for the few times i use nuking gear on blu :P