users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Ebon Light
Ebon Light
 Bismarck.Rinkai
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Rin
By Bismarck.Rinkai 2011-01-09 12:25:12  
Why do so many people refuse to pop ebon light and feel they need to cuss you out for suggesting it? I have yet to be in an Abyssea party that went bad for popping ebon, they've only gone way uphill. I'd like to know why i'm 3 hours into a worm party and only getting 300 something a kill. Apparently I know nothing and need to stfu and xp dude.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-01-09 12:31:52  
I've never been in an Abby party that DIDN'T pop Ebon. Ruby, yeah, but not Ebon...
By richwood 2011-01-09 12:32:56  
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2011-01-09 12:33:35  
Because, obviously the only things you want in a party is Azure and Pearl! All the other lights, they do nothing.

The fairly simple answer is that there are quite a few abyssea parties/leaders who have no real understanding of what is going on.
[+]
By richwood 2011-01-09 12:36:06  
Simply Lights...

The whole pic does not show in post
By richwood 2011-01-09 12:39:06  
Anywho once above 200 min I say go all out and open all chest, cuase ruby will pop silver and gold, and we all love more exp and points^^
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-09 12:59:20  
Seriously a good pt should be able to open any and everything and get any lights and been fine. Even dominion pt where you run around alot. Had one guy complain cause I was getting ruby once and that was going to kill our TEs... 30 min later we were all above 200 min and mocking him for it lol.

He got made and D2d some people saying ha hurts your TE's now... silly people and not knowing how abyssea works.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-09 13:02:14  
That picture (and, granted, the official description for ebon) is misleading. Ebon only raises your gold/silver lights, not azure, pearl, or ruby. There's absolutely no reason not to open it.

As Dasva said though, there's no reason for an EXP party to not cap all lights.
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-09 13:10:43  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ebon only raises your gold/silver lights, not azure, pearl, or ruby. There's absolutely no reason not to open it.

This been proven somewhere? All my testing shows it does all lights, just as I've always heard it did.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-09 13:30:19  
Asura.Ringmastersword said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ebon only raises your gold/silver lights, not azure, pearl, or ruby. There's absolutely no reason not to open it.

This been proven somewhere? All my testing shows it does all lights, just as I've always heard it did.
Personal example: I joined a cleave the other night after they'd been going a while, so the only lights I received were from WS/melee kills, the occasional amber'd Ephemeral mob, and whatever came out of ruby chests. You would think, with all the ebon coming out of capped ruby chests, that I'd have capped azure by the end of the run many hours later. In truth, while killing mobs the next morning (stayed in the zone while I slept) my azure chests were all of low strength, and I never received a time extension chest. I have spoken to others with similar experiences. I have absolutely no reason to believe it enhances non-gold/silver lights in frequency or potency.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-09 13:33:12  
I'm inclined to believe that also, but I'm not 100% sure. When I used to xp with large alliances back when abyssea first came out, we would open gold silver azure ruby ebon lights. After a long time, a few hours, we would start getting giant gold chests. That was without opening any amber whatsoever and with only 1 abyssite max. It wasn't just an anomaly either, they were consistently large gold chests. Not sure if anyone else has had similar experience?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-09 13:37:10  
I've gotten large gold chests with no amber light before, so it's not inconceivable.
 Asura.Tezmania
user: tezmania
By Asura.Tezmania 2011-01-09 14:04:03  
Well this came direct fromm FFXI Q&A team.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Developer_Q%26A:_Abyssea

Quote:
What is the colored light you obtain after defeating an enemy in Abyssea? Do the light colors have anything to do with the different colored chests that can appear when a monster is defeated?

There are seven varieties of light obtainable, each providing a unique benefit to the player. Their effects are as follows:

* Pearlescent: All sturdy pyxides will appear with greater frequency.
* Azure: Blue pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Ruby: Red pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Amber: Gold pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Golden: The adventurer will gain experience at an increased rate.
* Silvery: The adventurer will obtain cruor at an increased rate.
* Ebon: A small bonus will be granted to all colored light effects.

Multiple colors can be obtained at once, and each color will grow in intensity the more you acquire, granting even greater benefits. Use them well and these prismatic boons just might be the key to your survival in the harsh environs of Abyssea!
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2011-01-09 14:19:58  
Asura.Tezmania said:
Well this came direct fromm FFXI Q&A team.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Developer_Q%26A:_Abyssea

Quote:
What is the colored light you obtain after defeating an enemy in Abyssea? Do the light colors have anything to do with the different colored chests that can appear when a monster is defeated?

There are seven varieties of light obtainable, each providing a unique benefit to the player. Their effects are as follows:

* Pearlescent: All sturdy pyxides will appear with greater frequency.
* Azure: Blue pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Ruby: Red pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Amber: Gold pyxides will appear with greater frequency and yield superior spoils.
* Golden: The adventurer will gain experience at an increased rate.
* Silvery: The adventurer will obtain cruor at an increased rate.
* Ebon: A small bonus will be granted to all colored light effects.

Multiple colors can be obtained at once, and each color will grow in intensity the more you acquire, granting even greater benefits. Use them well and these prismatic boons just might be the key to your survival in the harsh environs of Abyssea!

Well now I am a little confused. Devs say all lights, but people show otherwise. I guess I'll pay a bit more attention personally when doing this since my testing wasnt very exclusive lol. Good thing to note regardless I suppose.
 Bismarck.Rinkai
user: Rin
By Bismarck.Rinkai 2011-01-10 09:16:15  
I believe I read somewhere that lights go away with time if you aren't getting more, which may or may not have something to do with low level blue chests after being idle for an extended period of time. There was also something about certain lights lowering others, I'm not sure if this was yet another thing SE decided to do away with after mentioning (ie. 3 updates to 99 cap) as I have not seen it to be the case.

It drives me nuts when people tell me I don't know what i'm talking about when odds are I've done way more Abyssea than they have. Unless, of course, they have had a ton of bad parties and leveled way slower/timed out, which only proves my point, I haven't had to use a stone for time after a party in months. They didn't even have mages and dd separate to build lights on worms, which should have been the first sign to run. My fault I suppose for being lazy and joining a shout group instead of making my own party, but people don't need to get all trailer trash and start cussing and assume you are a "dude" (I wonder if thats how he talks to all the ladies, guy was a real charmer..). It's simple math honestly, if ebon (ebon being black, black artistically being a mash of all colors opposed to scientifically being the absence of color) is all lights as SE says then the light you have least of isn't suddenly going to take over and kill TE. Not to mention the pearl from it would have helped since they still weren't getting constant chests. Also with people having atmas and abyssites, along with higher levels I don't know if it even matters anymore to worry about what lights you work on. Killing quickly should even out to everything to reach the quality cap (15-30ish depending on abyssite) and the hard cap that people have mentioned (I wouldn't know I don't have a computer counting lights for me) fast enough not to time out. I know there is a lot I don't know but I do know that ebon is a very good thing and will only make things go better.

In the end we took off once a fellow ls member found a doll party for us.^^ Thank you Krunq! Finished off 81-90 cap in less time than it took to get 78-80 with the worm group.

*Please forgive grammatical/spelling errors as well as run on sentences (marathon), the comma has always eluded me. >.<
 Bismarck.Themuffingirl
By Bismarck.Themuffingirl 2011-01-13 02:55:26  
I have had parties that didn't open red chests at all and chewed your head off if you popped one yourself. The only logical explanation I could come up with is that the leaders were trying to farm TE's and AF3 feet for their linkshell and didn't want everyone leaving to change jobs/dump merits and resetting their lights. So I spent over 3 hours in Attohwa Chasm and was barely breaking 300 XP/kill but had over 400 minutes left when they decided the party was over.

Then again I also had another party that refused to open red chests and was bitching about people killing with weapon skills because they said ruby light "gives more XP chests so we want azure for TE's instead". I argued with him and he even verified that he was implying that ruby light gives "more of the 1250 XP boxes".

So some people are just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, others are just there for TE farming and/or gold box farming. Majority is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and doesn't know how lights work IMO.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-13 03:40:16  
For NM farming, it's just better to avoid anything not Azure-Pearlescent-Amber until around the 200minute mark (Which generally takes 30minutes to achieve if you enter with 60min), after that it goes into "*** all mode", as killing things faster easily makes up the difference and then some, once azure and pearlescent are capped.

That's just how I do it though.

in an XP party, if you're not killing fast enough to keep time up on the statistical average drop rate with capped light potency, something is horribly wrong.