New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » 1000 Needles for Grellow Trigger
1000 Needles for Grellow Trigger
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2011-01-08 11:24:51  
So last night for the first time ever 1000 Needles actually landed on a mob that wasn't like 30 levels under me and it proced grellow. But like every other time it was light elemental magic 1000 Needles was never the trigger but it always missed. So I was wondering if it is in fact the grellow trigger does it gain 100% accuracy? I didn't even bother putting up buffs or anything just saw that all the triggers for light were clean and didn't proc so I casted it in TP gear and bam, it triggered.
 Asura.Rekin
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Rekin 2011-01-08 11:27:43  
No it just happens have happened that way for you. All I can say is stack up on blu mag skill+ and use a light staff to make it land easier.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-08 11:33:18  
You got lucky.
[+]
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
サーバ: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2011-01-08 11:36:54  
There are some NMs that are totally resistant to 1000 needles even with Elemental Seal, Sobek and Orthrus come to mind. In those cases, its just really bad luck. If it is a timed spawn NM, probably best to make it deaggro and claim again.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfie 2011-01-08 11:44:16  
Ah I see, just thought SE threw us a friggin bone for once. It was on Bennu btw, the Altep zone boss.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 11:48:16  
New nms are well very unresistant and very unevasive in general lol
[+]
 Asura.Kazaki
user: Kazaki
By Asura.Kazaki 2011-01-08 11:49:28  
I've used threnody with a clean hit but a resist and it hasn't proc'd. Then later did the same threnody clean without a resist and it did. You just got lucky^^
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-08 11:51:38  
I don't usually have too much trouble landing 1k needles. It can be a pain sometimes, but it usually lands within 1-3 casts. The hardest part is casting it without getting interrupted. I'm usually duoing RDM+BLU so the mob will be smacking me most of the time.

I load up on m.acc gear and blue skill. I was actually surprised how often it does land on NMs in abyssea. Cruor buffs probably help a lot. I don't usually use any magic acc atmas unless I'm charged whiskering with ultimate atma.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-08 11:51:39  
Yeh, 1000 needles are the suck, but you shouldn't have THAT much trouble making it land on most things, I can usually do it in full skill/macc gear and no staff. There will be the occasional NM that you just won't be able to land it on though, not sure of the accuracy of omgwtftaru's statement about immunity, but it's possible. Basically just comes down to luck of the draw and having a good macc/skill set.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 12:00:35  
The real problem I have with 1000 needles is the range and cast/recast time. The likely hood of getting at least 1 tp move off while you are casting is pretty high and alot of nms that tp might *** your cast. But what's worse is it doing that move as you cast so you gotta wait like a min to recast lol.
 Asura.Rekin
By Asura.Rekin 2011-01-08 12:05:22  
Not to derail the topic too much but I wish SE would readjust our magical spells to have higher mods idk about most of you but having to make specific gear sets for a spell to be actually useful in terms of damage is a wee bit silly. 1000 needles is a joke in that it has a ridiculous casting/recast time and costs 350 mp. SE needs to give blu more tweeks and I'm not saying throw us more spells I mean give us blue points and spell mod changes.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 12:09:51  
Asura.Rekin said:
Not to derail the topic too much but I wish SE would readjust our magical spells to have higher mods idk about most of you but having to make specific gear sets for a spell to be actually useful in terms of damage is a wee bit silly. 1000 needles is a joke in that it has a ridiculous casting/recast time and costs 350 mp. SE needs to give blu more tweeks and I'm not saying throw us more spells I mean give us blue points and spell mod changes.
... what is silly about having to gear for what you do? LIke saying it's rediculous to have to make ws or physical spell sets.

Imagine if you did awesome dmg in tp gear with a spell then someone comes along geared for it does a 15k Everyones grudge?

Seriously play around with the new spells they are pretty awesome from what I hear. In fact Charged whisker might have the highest potential brew dmg of any spell or ws
 Asura.Rekin
By Asura.Rekin 2011-01-08 12:15:24  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Rekin said:
... what is silly about having to gear for what you do? LIke saying it's rediculous to have to make ws or physical spell sets.

Imagine if you did awesome dmg in tp gear with a spell then someone comes along geared for it does a 15k Everyones grudge?

Seriously play around with the new spells they are pretty awesome from what I hear.
Makes sense, and I know that some of the new spells are pretty rocking but I'd like SE to adjust some of the older spells to make them useful instead of being a "gotta catch 'em all" thing. I'm sure this could be bad in that you will have blus at lower lvls dishing out higher numbers then your average dd but its more creative then just going "here have more spells to make up for your old crappy ones."
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-08 12:15:47  
I agree with Rekin about 1k needles, but not about the rest. 1k needles is far and away the least efficient spell in the game. MP, damage, cast time, recast, maccuracy; terrible.

Charged whisker is pretty damn good though, just a shame about the recast. I broke 3k with it today on about 20 mandies all at once, and 21k on Rani with brew.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 12:26:22  
Yeah in another thread Kirschy was talking about how a blu from studio golbi one shotted shinryu with charged whisker... and apparently for some reason dmg rolls over at like 65k so it said it only did like 3k even though clearly did more lol
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-01-08 13:10:27  
interesting.. it encourages me to keep up on blu, i just rushed to 90 in 1 day and half , getting all spells now
[+]
 Unicorn.Leoheart
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Leoheart
By Unicorn.Leoheart 2011-01-08 13:29:08  
dont spells Cause staggers regardless of them having a full effect anyway?
 Sylph.Quiznor
サーバ: Sylph
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-01-08 13:32:20  
Just last week we did a Sobek and the trigger was 1000 needles but i couldnt land it on him to save my life.I cast it 8 times,using all sorts of combos of macc drinks,skill/macc combo builds (skill 400+ sometimes) BA and anything i could,i just COULDNT land it. :'(
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 13:32:45  
Unicorn.Leoheart said:
dont spells Cause staggers regardless of them having a full effect anyway?
Yes but 1000 needles is mostly hit or miss.
 Siren.Eremes
サーバ: Siren
user: Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-01-08 13:39:45  
As Dasva points out, stagger spells must land for the stagger to take effect. If the spell is "resisted" or "fails to take effect" it won't process the stagger.

I have had the misfortune for having 1000 Needles as a yellow stagger against Sobek. I've also seen a Itzapapotl whose stagger was Ice Threnody, which couldn't land from a BRD with capped skills using elemental seal.

If you know a NM is immune to a particular stagger spell, avoid popping it within 2 Vana'diel days of that spell's element! c.c
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-08 14:10:27  
Just to clarify, if the spell has no effect, it can still proc weakness. I've proc'd weakness with dispel many times without anything to dispel.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2011-01-08 14:49:21  
Bismarck.Helel said:
Just to clarify, if the spell has no effect, it can still proc weakness. I've proc'd weakness with dispel many times without anything to dispel.

That's not Dispel "resisting" though, per se. If a blue magic fails to take effect then you won't get the proc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-08 14:56:08  
Ragnarok.Kyoshin said:
Bismarck.Helel said:
That's not Dispel "resisting" though, per se. If a blue magic fails to take effect then you won't get the proc.
That's because "fails to take effect" is the terminology blu spells have for resist or in the case of physical spells miss.
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2011-01-08 15:04:26  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ragnarok.Kyoshin said:
Bismarck.Helel said:
That's because "fails to take effect" is the terminology blu spells have for resist or in the case of physical spells miss.

I hope someone at least finds the additional clarification useful. :)