MACC Affect BLU Physical Spells?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » MACC affect BLU physical spells?
MACC affect BLU physical spells?
 Sylph.Kwate
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 13:57:45  
My impression is no, can someone give me a straight answer on this, been receiving conflicting answers on this.
[+]
 Asura.Leyla
サーバ: Asura
user: leylaz
By Asura.Leyla 2011-01-04 14:48:53  
ive never relied on it for my DD spells tbh. From my experience that is...
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-04 14:50:10  
Only the additional effect proc rates...

And yes all those macc swd blus are being silly
[+]
 Caitsith.Jessie
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2011-01-04 14:56:27  
This is an odd topic to me. Many of our well-informed English-speaking players will tell you with 100% confidence that even if you're going for accuracy, getting physical melee "Accuracy" will be your better choice.

But then, why do so many non-English-speaking players pile-on the Magic Accuracy? Why do they go out of their way to get MP/Macc swords instead of STR/Attack swords from Trials of the Magians?

I'm sure we look as ridiculous to them as they do to us. But the question is "why".

Then I start to think about how even if Magic Accuracy did affect "physical" Blue Magic spells, why would that be a better option for your spells than STR and Attack? In non-Abyssea areas, players are already almost too high in level to be worried about accuracy, and in Abyssea areas accuracy isn't a bother because of bonuses like Cruor buffs and Atmas.

Sorry, I know this isn't a very helpful post, but I'm just trying to think from two very different perspectives on the job.
[+]
 Unicorn.Phiis
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Phiis
By Unicorn.Phiis 2011-01-04 14:59:10  
People who stack on MACC are attempting to get a 100% stun proc on Head Butt. People who use MACC don't care about damage as long as they can land their stuns. Many JPs view BLU as a stunner, and if you can't land your stuns you are too weak.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-04 15:01:36  
Try casting a physical spell in a macc staff with all your macc gear on as possible and see what happens. You will likely miss hits. Physical spells are based on weapon accuracy. If this wasn't true, you'd be hitting more consistantly or dealing more damage with macc gear. That is not the case.

It has been said that additional effects are affected by macc though. Like headbutt's stun effect. I'm not sure if this has been proven as of yet. Given the vast use in the JP community, I'm guessing it has. So a balance of accuracy, haste, and magic accuracy would be perfect for headbutt. And that just so happens to be our AF3+2 body.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2011-01-04 15:02:49  
butt head butt is acc. based to land not macc, im so confused right now.
[+]
 Sylph.Kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 15:04:34  
Lol yeah, our body is loaded with both, but I know we have some real pros that know their ***on these forums and wanted to know for sure.
[+]
 Sylph.Kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 15:06:01  
So from what I gather MACC affects magic only and additional effects then. I need to test on Head butt stuns, I wonder if it does make that big a difference.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-04 15:08:05  
daddyrabbit4444 said:

Sorry for the confusion. You will need accuracy to land headbutt, on a 100% evasive monster, you would not be able to land headbutt.

When headbutt lands, there is a chance that the additional effect of stun will proc. People have said that macc improves this chance. If headbutt does not land in the first place("Mahayaya casts headbutt but the spell fails to take effect.") then of course you have no chance of having the stun effect go through.

So again, if the JP community is right about magic accuracy affecting the proc rate for stun effect from headbutt, then a balance of magic accuracy and accuracy would be perfect for headbutt. Toss in haste to reduce your recast timers and you'd be set.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-04 15:09:11  
The physical portion of head butt (the physical blunt damage) is dependent on your Accuracy. The Additional Effect: Stun is dependent on your Magic Accuracy. Thus, if you're solely using BLU as a stunner, wearing magical accuracy swords will increase your chances of stunning. Most of the time it's irrelevant, as NMs either resist head butt completely or are susceptible to it 95%. Some NMs build resistance to Head Butt over time depending on how many times it was used. In these cases, magic accuracy will help you land the stun from head butt over longer periods of time.

Edit: also Blue Magic skill works the same way as Magic Accuracy for these additional effects.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jessie
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2011-01-04 15:13:02  
daddyrabbit4444 said:
Right, but Head Butt also has a magical effect attached to it: the Stun additional effect. You require Accuracy to land the spell, but you also require Magic Accuracy to land the Stun effect.

That's why people who sub /BLU can almost never get the additional effects off from spells, and why magic-resistant enemies can flat-out resist the stun effect even if Head Butt lands.

And unless I'm mistaken, the way it works is your physical accuracy surrounding Sword skill (or whatever weapon you're using) affects the accuracy of a Physical Blue Magic spell. That's why casting a Physical spell with Elemental Staves will virtually never land (and if they do, will hit for like 0 damage).
 Sylph.Kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 15:20:56  
good point, when playing feather tickle with those mobs in promy trying get their spells, i did hand to hand since it was such low damage and notice my bludgeons were ridiculously weaker than if i had a sword equipped, i never understood that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-04 15:23:17  
If you are using staffs with physical spells on blu you better be SAing
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-04 15:24:18  
The Magic Accuracy stat is like Blue Magic, Enfeebling Magic, and Elemental Magic all rolled into one.

One way to do a good test on the "magic accuracy helps land the additional effects of blue magic" theory would be to do the following:

RDM/BLU with loads of magic accuracy could probably start to land headbutt stun on some of the old @75 end game content. Maybe with enough magic accuracy atmas, could land it on abyssea mobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 15:29:14  
empyrean body and feet have enough MACC for me it sounds like, lol
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-04 15:42:42  
Yeah, accuracy and magic accuracy really aren't that big of concern on most things these days.

As for Red Mage, here's a build that could probably land stun with headbutt on a lot of stuff that BLU could at level 75.

+90 MACC with a level 90 Murgleis. Add that to RDM/BLU's native Blue Magic skill of 138. Plus 16 from merits. 154 + 90 = 244 "skill". You'd be about at the additional effect proc rate of a level 70 BLU with no merits.
[+]
 Fairy.Aben
サーバ: Fairy
user: Aben
By Fairy.Aben 2011-01-04 15:46:23  
There have been two testings done on alla, but its been a while so I can't find them before I have to leave. BUT, here's your answer kwate:

ACC helps physical blu spells land

MACC and blu skill help the added effects to land, i.e. headbutt > stun, dissevement > poison, subzero-smash > paralyze.

The added effects match their rdm counterpart. For instance, the bind on blastbomb is still ice-based. The stun on headbutt is still thunder-based.

The test that concluded a lot of this information was using a thunder staff against bunnies outside sandy. Head butt would land, and there were a far greater percent of stun prokes w/ a thunder staff as opposed to a neutral weapon. The same can be said of m.acc. This is how i would recommend testing it yourself if you still doubt me.

(Side note: macc does not improve the duration of stun on headbutt, just whether or not it lands)
[+]
 Siren.Eremes
サーバ: Siren
user: Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-01-04 15:49:49  
Almost all physical spells with additional effects are affected by Magic Accuracy. This includes Head Butt, Disseverment, and Benthic Typhoon, for example. Accuracy helps these spells land, while Magic Accuracy helps the additional effect process. For spells like Disseverment, Magic Accuracy also helps the effect land for the full duration.

Physical spells for which the additional effect "chance varies with TP" behave differently. These have a chance to process regardless of whether you have Chain Affinity active, but it appears, as the flavor texts suggest, actually do simply vary with TP. I haven't noticed magic accuracy significantly boosting these processing effects. Spells in this category include Sub-zero Smash and Seedspray.
[+]
 Sylph.Kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2011-01-04 16:07:16  
What about those spells like Digest and Osmosis which is modified by Blue Magic skill only, no stat mods (and is not enhance by Burst affinity or AF3 enhancement to BA, which I edited on wiki to state this), I haven't noticed any difference rather I loaded up on MACC or not, any thoughts?
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-04 17:17:43  
Magic Accuracy would lower your chances of getting resisted with spells like Osmosis and Digest, but it won't increase the amount of hp or mp drained. Works just like Drain and Aspir with respect to dark magic skill and magic accuracy.
[+]
 Siren.Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-01-07 14:27:52  
Sylph.Kwate said:
What about those spells like Digest and Osmosis which is modified by Blue Magic skill only, no stat mods (and is not enhance by Burst affinity or AF3 enhancement to BA, which I edited on wiki to state this), I haven't noticed any difference rather I loaded up on MACC or not, any thoughts?

Unlike Aspir and Drain (which have soft rather than hard caps), Osmosis and Digest have calculable caps based on your Blue Magic skill. Like all magic spells, magic accuracy helps the spell land unresisted, assuming the enemy is not outright resistant/immune to the effect. Presumably, magic accuracy should also boost the chance of draining a status effect from the target for Osmosis.
By Artemicion 2011-01-07 14:45:59  
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a hard and soft cap? ._.

/derp
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-07 14:49:52  
Artemicion said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a hard and soft cap? ._. /derp

Cure 1 is a good example. Soft cap of 30, but obviously you can get it to go over that amount.
By Artemicion 2011-01-07 15:17:55  
Gotcha, and hard cap is obviously the full limit.
Didn't really think about the contrast between the two xD
 Siren.Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-01-07 15:18:53  
As Mahayaya pointed out, the cap on these spells is "soft" because they can be exceeded.

Hard caps are convenient because their ceilings produce a discrete value for the spell's maximum effect. An example of hard capped Blue Magic would be the Breath spells.

Soft cap offensive spells, on the other hand, seem to always exhibit some natural variance, making their "cap" harder to determine. Additionally, it may appear that these spells have capped until a relevant stat or skill boost raises the spell to another tier.