users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM brewskies
WHM brewskies
 Caitsith.Secretsociety
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: fatbatman
By Caitsith.Secretsociety 2011-04-29 10:00:11  
I did a few brews on WHM when I was farming Dragua. I didn't have the atmas I wanted to use at the time, but it still worked ok. I put on as much MAB equip as I had and used Baying Moon, Full Moon, and Sellsword. I think using Holy Mountain, Beyond, and another decent MAB atma would have been much better damage. I was doing Flash Nova> Flash Nova> Hexa for Frag>Light and each Flash was 11-12k while Hexa was doing 5-8k w/the same damage for Light. I don't have staff leveled much on my WHM mule, so this was the alternative and seemed to work out just fine. I was able to brew 3 at a time before my brew wore. Hope this helps.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-05-10 14:52:28  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
noticed a lot of people using mab atmas, so i'm guessing most people brew from the start?

what i did was minikin/ambition/vv, and ws it until i get a blue read. then i just die and hp if it's h2h, or use a brew and use the regain to proc blue.

my numbers on earth crusher with no mab atmas are pretty shitty, but i also don't equip mab gear on whm.

are you telling me that you just outright solo shinryu until you get blue, THEN you use brew? if thats the case i'm very interested in seeing your itemset for this and any advice you'd have to give
 Bismarck.Tragedie
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-10 15:12:53  
Phoenix.Kingofgeeks said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
are you telling me that you just outright solo shinryu until you get blue, THEN you use brew? if thats the case i'm very interested in seeing your itemset for this and any advice you'd have to give

I usually go WHM/SAM for meditate/sekkanoki, and use claw/MM/Sea Daughter for atmas. Lately I've only gone with other people since I don't need much from it, but I'll tank shin anyway. Start with at least 200 tp, pull at beginning of blunt. Use sekkanoki. This will give you a few chances to proc discernment fairly quickly (2 ws's from sekka, one soon after from meditate). I use different ws's until I get a hint (in case I happen to proc). If it's club or staff, I'll pop the brew and cycle ws's until I get blue, then earth crusher spam (relax and take your time so you don't heal him while he's casting/tping). Doom screen is always a good idea before you brew but I always forget.

I usually tank in my PDT/MDT set (below, 44% PDT/ 16% MDT), but have also done it in my cure set. It's easy to keep up with his damage output with Cure V.

Note that I have all of the procs for club and staff. If I go in with a group where someone else has to proc, I won't pop my brew until they get blue. It's easy enough to keep them alive though.

EDIT: tl;dr: yes, solo shin until you know for a fact that you can proc blue, then use your brew. He's really not so bad to tank on whm though.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-10 16:01:30  
nice idle/-pdt set, i need another good dark ring and need to redo my ASA pants to include -PDT now that I don't use cure pot%
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-11 10:20:04  
Thanks... I'm hoping to get better rings when I go back to farm my refresh hairpin from konschtat... thing just doesn't want to drop.

The pants have movespeed also, which I'm happy about; my idle legs are the subligar with +1 refresh. It's nice to wear pants when running around.

If I don't get better rings, I can live with the ones I've gotten so far:

Ring 1: -6% PDT, -4% MDT, -3% Breath Damage
Ring 2: -4% PDT, -5% MDT, Spell Int. -1%

Anyway, back on topic, you can tank shin in your cure potency set if you're feeling lazy (read: when I'm feeling lazy). The extra damage you take from not meleeing in Earth/Terra's Staff is made up by cure when you cure yourself.

As a side note, I do have a macro for Earth Crusher that includes whatever MAB gear I have (nothing fancy, teal/etc). I've also popped a brew without Atma of the Claw up and still taken him down with Earth Crusher (4k~5k damage per shot, plus skillchains).
 Phoenix.Kingofgeeks
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kingofgeeks 2011-06-03 12:44:17  
i never really paid attention to the damage i delt, and apparently alternating hexa and black halo i did anywhere from 2k to 6k damage... i'm surprised i am actually able to beat shinryu :-P
 Bismarck.Altkey
user: Altariel
By Bismarck.Altkey 2011-06-30 02:15:03  
Sorry that this is a few weeks old but I came across the thread looking for information on brewing with Flash Nova. I went ahead and gave Shinryu a go to see how it went. I was /RDM with +35 MAB in gear and Beyond, Ultimate, and Sellsword for Atmas. The weaponskill damage did 8455 x3 followed by 5918 x5 with Fragmentation damage ranging between a low of 2488 and a high of 5073. Not stellar by any means but effective to get the job done.