users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » NIN Merits and Throwing
NIN Merits and Throwing
 Asura.Authority
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Authority
By Asura.Authority 2010-12-30 01:42:45  
Searched through the threads here and didn't see anything regarding this. Right now I have 5/5 in subtle blow and 5/5 in expertise. The rest of the merits seem kind of iffy to me, but I haven't tried out any of the San spells. I'm curious as to what people think of those merits as opposed to Sange?

If I was to level throwing up, and get sange, what would be the throwing weapon of choice for that? It seems that there isn't really any throwing ammo out there that is decent AND easy to come by. Does anyone have any input on this?
[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
サーバ: Leviathan
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-12-30 01:51:14  
Pretty sure has to be kunai or surikien and its a pretty fun move but i could never see a actul use for it lol.

You should get your san spells thou if you really gonna play nin with right atmas and gear can do over 1k with them easy =)
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-30 01:59:57  
for category 1 i have 5/5 hyo and 5/5 rai for category 2 i have 1 in each San jutsu but 3/5 in hyo and 3/5 in rai... soooooooooooooooooooooooo good... the San jutsus (even the Ni jutsu) do a ***ton of damage if geared right... there is a thread around here about some amazing jutsu numbers with futae and MAB drinks and atma and such... sooo good...definitely worth it.. getting 2x int+9 MAB+10 sekka+2 really shoot up the damage as well.. I would never suggest getting an ability that stripes your shadows.. idk i never saw the purpose in that... also as far as subtle blow goes.. with the new agi check that adds to subtle blow + the new subtle blow+ jutsu, i'm fairly certain you can cap subtle blow (with gear and such) without the merits... just sayin
 Cerberus.Nexxus
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-12-30 02:07:01  
:San are really nice, you can keep the wheel while :Ni are still in recast timer.

Damage varies but often goes more than 200, with proper gear and atma you can break more than 500/jutsu.

Sange is a...

Waste of inventory space.
Waste of shadows.
Waste of money.

You can put some nice number with it, but the recast time of the JA make :San merit a better choice.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-12-30 04:27:33  
The issue with throwing is that there are no throwing weapons worth it that are realistic to use as anything other then a party trick. I heard some crazy storys about nins useing throwing and ripping everything up back when the cap was 75 but if you do the math you are looking at like 10k a min if your useing the good ones so not really worth it imo.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2010-12-30 05:07:24  
Asura.Authority said:
Searched through the threads here and didn't see anything regarding this. Right now I have 5/5 in subtle blow and 5/5 in expertise. The rest of the merits seem kind of iffy to me, but I haven't tried out any of the San spells. I'm curious as to what people think of those merits as opposed to Sange?

If I was to level throwing up, and get sange, what would be the throwing weapon of choice for that? It seems that there isn't really any throwing ammo out there that is decent AND easy to come by. Does anyone have any input on this?
I had a friend devoted to shurikens/kunai and with maxed skill and sange.

The main problems he told me about sange are:

1) requires expensive, often hard to obtain projectiles to maximize the damage. The fact more than one projectile is used with each Sange makes it expensive and unpractical

2) The high recast doesn't make it very useful. (5 mins is waaaay too much.)

I remember he used to do very good numbers with 4 shadows. Now that you can get up to 5 with Empyreal Feet +2, Sange would be even better, but the huge problems n°1 and 2 remain there. So yeah, think you should really go for SAN spells :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [230 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Angeleus
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-08-17 00:26:39  
Any updates on ninja group 1 and 2 or everyone has the same up as this thread?
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-08-18 11:53:31  
dunno bout everyone else this is what i have. not sure why someone wouldn't want subtle blow maxed seems like really the only important one.

I chose hyoton just cause i spam ice to skill up since the tools are the cheapest

By Wojo 2011-08-18 12:18:06  
Doton:San could be useful for procing in VWNM
 Unicorn.Savoree
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Arriole
By Unicorn.Savoree 2011-08-18 12:20:22  
Asura.Authority said: »
If I was to level throwing up
:p
[+]
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-08-18 12:42:07  
Wojo said: »
Doton:San could be useful for procing in VWNM

aye, haven't done VWNM yet, i guess I would drop a ninja tool expertise
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [110 days between previous and next post]
By Ecaroh 2011-12-06 13:22:40  
New 95 ninja here.

Any changes in optimal merit choice at this time?
I havent seen any numbers but would think that the new AGI definition would help cap that in Abby?

Sugestions?
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-12-06 13:26:07  
Ecaroh said: »
New 95 ninja here.

I havent seen any numbers but would think that the new AGI definition would help cap that in Abby?

Sugestions?
5/5 subtle blow 4/5 expertise 1/5 all six san spells
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-12-06 13:27:57  
Ecaroh said: »
New 95 ninja here.

Sugestions?
If I recall correctly, the agi reduction to tp feed is independent of the subtle blow cap, so subtle blow merits are still useful. You need at least 1/5 in each san spell for VW procs. For group 1, I put the remaining merits in 5/5 Hyoton effect.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-12-06 13:41:24  
The AGL thing has been around for a long time, STR is still your best bet in that category so other then needed all 6 sans for voidwatch there are no changes from what it has been.
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-12-06 13:43:47  
Asura.Authority said: »
If I was to level throwing up

Two necro bumps and nobody made a joke about this line from the OP? D=

For group 1 I went 5/5 SB, 2/5 Katon Effect, 1/5 Huton effect and 2/5 Raiton effect.

For group 2 I opted for 5/5 Ninja Tool Expertise, 1/5 Sange and 2/5 Kuton and Raiton San.

The reason I opted for odd merits in the elemental Effect and San spells was to try and favor other enfeebling spells that were aligned to those elements that would get an enhancement through the resistance down effect. Having low Ninjutsu skills back when I unloaded merits on NIN, I found that quite effective (or so it seemed at least when I would recast an enfeeb after lowering the mob's resistance to said spell's element), but now that it's gotten higher I could probably fix them.

As for Sange, I always liked the idea of a shuriken throwing build but my hopes of ever seeing SE add a reasonable Shuriken ammo are low..
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2011-12-06 13:46:39  
Nothing is really going to benefit you more than Subtle Blow merits. With the natural job traits, merits, and Auspice, you're capped without gear. And it's definitely something that you notice, even in group situations. Ninjutsu effect doesn't serve any purpose unless you are some sort of new-age NIN soloist.
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-12-06 13:55:42  
I did have Hyoton/Raiton: San 5/5 for a long time, but since I've started doing PvP more I took 4 out of Raiton: San and put them in Sange. I also put merits in Throwing, and have throwing skill capped. A 5 shadow Sange with Koga/Manji Shurikens can deal pretty nasty damage.

If you don't do PvP on NIN often... Probably everyone who reads this I would go with Hyoton/Raiton: San 5/5.
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-12-06 13:57:42  
Odin.Upbeat said: »
I did have Hyoton/Raiton: San 5/5 for a long time, but since I've started doing PvP more I took 4 out of Raiton: San and put them in Sange. I also put merits in Throwing, and have throwing skill capped. A 5 shadow Sange with Koga/Manji Shurikens can deal pretty nasty damage.

If you don't do PvP on NIN often... Probably everyone who reads this I would go with Hyoton/Raiton: San 5/5.

1/5 all san for VW!
 Carbuncle.Axle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-12-06 14:00:32  
Dear SE:
Please make winds stackable.
k thx
[+]
By Hotsoups 2011-12-29 15:52:27  
Ninjas who dump 5 merits into Nin. tool expertise are a pet peeve of mine. This trait only does one thing, saves money. It doesn't enhance your character or help with your ninja's output in any way.

I would go with Hyoton: San 5/5 and 1 into each san spell for voidwatch triggers. I would merit sange if shurikens were made more readily available.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-12-29 16:04:50  
Meriting San spells past 1/5 has little to no practical impact for most people, so 4/5 NTE is the logical place to dump the rest of your merits. Less gil spent on tools means more gil to spend elsewhere or time saved, which is a functional improvement.
[+]
By Hotsoups 2011-12-29 16:22:02  
In many instances now, I've found being able to throw an uber Futae + Hyoton: San into a mob really useful. Hate generation, continued damage through stuff like Invincible/Perfect Doge. Even being able to do damage at a distance.

I for one, will never leave my moghouse without my nuking set handy.

*edit* Oh and in PvP it's just bad ***.
By mortontony1 2012-01-09 20:38:49  
Why does everyone put more merits into Hyoton? Is it better than the others?
 Quetzalcoatl.Lishje
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Lishje
By Quetzalcoatl.Lishje 2012-01-09 20:43:46  
Naw, its just cause the tools are dirt cheap and Ice isn't as resisted globally as some of the other elements.

They're all the same base damage just like :Ni spells and only differ with merits or elemental potency.(Which of, I think only the staffs exist for ninja)

If you don't care merit Suiton out or whatever lol
By mortontony1 2012-01-09 20:46:46  
A;right cool lol. I like the lack of resist