BLU/MNK?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU/MNK?
BLU/MNK?
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Rayna
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Rion
By Lakshmi.Rayna 2010-12-28 09:50:41  
I didn't see a thread on tanking and anyone I asked in game wasn't sure, but can anyone comment on the possible effectiveness of BLU/MNK using counterstance? Wiki says the base counter rate is 50%, but I have no idea if this is gimped when used as sub because I can't test it, as my monk is only 1. Can anyone clarify or test this if you have monk leveled beyond 45? Thanks!
 Cerberus.Heavendragon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Heavendragon 2010-12-28 10:03:45  
Sounds funny. Maybe i will try it to
By Aisha 2010-12-30 06:58:58  
I might test that on my blu just gotta get few lvls on mnk then I can, if it is 50% then it might be nice since there are a few atma that might stack with it, Gnarled Horn is minor(unkown counter %) and the new Roaring Laughter that is major
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-12-30 07:03:54  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

As for your question, base counter on mnk (w/ merits) is 15%. Counterstance is 50% (keeping in mind this is base trait + merits for 50% on CS), so puts you 5% behind atm, melee gaiters is 10%, and all mnks should be using gnarled horn, 10%, which puts you 25% behind. GH yourself puts you 15% behind. Idk the % counter on roaring laughter, but even if you were to make this build semi feasable, giving up a DD atma (Fstr should be near/at cap already so the str from RL shouldn't do anything), puts you in a position to where you probably wouldn't be tanking.

Part of Tiger's post from the DRK thread, should apply here too. <<

Edit: sorry double post.

By Areis 2010-12-30 07:36:00  
So... whats with the whole trend of everyone DD/Mnk counter tank?

If you can't tank it without /mnk, then adding it WILL NOT help. All /Mnk will give you is the ability to increase your Dmg output while tanking... when your an MP spunge.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-30 07:46:52  
Areis said:
So... whats with the whole trend of everyone DD/Mnk counter tank? If you can't tank it without /mnk, then adding it WILL NOT help. All /Mnk will give you is the ability to increase your Dmg output while tanking... when your an MP spunge.

While I agree that all this /mnk business is going crazy, I think BLU offers some nice things to the table that would otherwise discredit other jobs. We can make our own shadows without the need for ninja subjob, we can cure ourselves without a healer subjob, we can push out some great DD numbers in a matter of seconds, we can debuff, and we can set a variety of job traits without having to limit our subjob selection.

All of that gives us a lot of leeway when it comes to choosing what subjob we can use, and can really open up some interesting possibilities as long as MP isn't a concern(which as long as you have a 10mp/tic atma, it usually isn't).
[+]
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-12-30 08:11:39  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Areis said:
So... whats with the whole trend of everyone DD/Mnk counter tank? If you can't tank it without /mnk, then adding it WILL NOT help. All /Mnk will give you is the ability to increase your Dmg output while tanking... when your an MP spunge.
While I agree that all this /mnk business is going crazy, I think BLU offers some nice things to the table that would otherwise discredit other jobs. We can make our own shadows without the need for ninja subjob, we can cure ourselves without a healer subjob, we can push out some great DD numbers in a matter of seconds, we can debuff, and we can set a variety of job traits without having to limit our subjob selection. All of that gives us a lot of leeway when it comes to choosing what subjob we can use, and can really open up some interesting possibilities as long as MP isn't a concern(which as long as you have a 10mp/tic atma, it usually isn't).

Don't forget all the stuns blu has that they can use also idk if it would stack or not but a spell combo gives you counter trait as well doesnt it?
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-30 08:12:42  
We also don't have the hp mnks do and that super low def might end up getting us one shotted more often than not lol. Also our shadows are blink not utsesmi and cost 100 mp... good luck DDing with spells and using that much.

Also /mnk gets counter anyways no need to set it
By Aisha 2010-12-30 08:40:10  
I personally was thinking of it as something for fun when soloing, anything that really needs tanking your probably gonna sub nin or kite etc
 Lakshmi.Rayna
By Lakshmi.Rayna 2010-12-30 09:00:45  
I have second stage Almace, so I'd be relying on that for my damage while tanking. I suppose I'd use VV/RR/GH since my hate is from emphemeral sword WS.

I'm just trying to find the right combination for tanking and right now, Utsusemi isn't cutting it. Shadows drop too fast and I spend too much time trying to keep them up. I think BLU/MNK could make a fairly solid tank - turtle tank with counterstance, Blink, and Blink+2?

If the mob wasn't being fed any TP aside from the BLU, I could see counterstance + Occultation lasting quite a while without the BLU taking too much damage, perhaps even the full recast of Occultation.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-30 09:24:00  
Lakshmi.Rayna said:
I have second stage Almace, so I'd be relying on that for my damage while tanking. I suppose I'd use VV/RR/GH since my hate is from emphemeral sword WS. I'm just trying to find the right combination for tanking and right now, Utsusemi isn't cutting it. Shadows drop too fast and I spend too much time trying to keep them up. I think BLU/MNK could make a fairly solid tank - turtle tank with counterstance, Blink, and Blink+2? If the mob wasn't being fed any TP aside from the BLU, I could see counterstance + Occultation lasting quite a while without the BLU taking too much damage, perhaps even the full recast of Occultation.

Occultation works great with MM in the mix, but good luck keeping it going with just VV/RR/GH. I don't know why any BLU would choose to use RR over MM, but maybe that's just me. I guess the Almace will allow you to be a normal DD first and a mage second.

Occultation's recast is about 1 full minute. If I remember correctly, it costs 138 MP. Which means you would need 2.3mp/tic to cover the costs of keeping Occultation up whenever possible. Now, this isn't a problem with BLU's auto refresh, gear refresh, and 3 Battery Charge, but if you add in many extra spells you might start running into a problem.

You'd be able to sustain the occasional Magic Fruit and Actinic Burst though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2010-12-30 16:16:42  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Lakshmi.Rayna said:
I have second stage Almace, so I'd be relying on that for my damage while tanking. I suppose I'd use VV/RR/GH since my hate is from emphemeral sword WS. I'm just trying to find the right combination for tanking and right now, Utsusemi isn't cutting it. Shadows drop too fast and I spend too much time trying to keep them up. I think BLU/MNK could make a fairly solid tank - turtle tank with counterstance, Blink, and Blink+2? If the mob wasn't being fed any TP aside from the BLU, I could see counterstance + Occultation lasting quite a while without the BLU taking too much damage, perhaps even the full recast of Occultation.
Occultation works great with MM in the mix, but good luck keeping it going with just VV/RR/GH. I don't know why any BLU would choose to use RR over MM, but maybe that's just me. I guess the Almace will allow you to be a normal DD first and a mage second. Occultation's recast is about 1 full minute. If I remember correctly, it costs 138 MP. Which means you would need 2.3mp/tic to cover the costs of keeping Occultation up whenever possible. Now, this isn't a problem with BLU's auto refresh, gear refresh, and 3 Battery Charge, but if you add in many extra spells you might start running into a problem. You'd be able to sustain the occasional Magic Fruit and Actinic Burst though.
Please tell me you didn't just suggest not using razed ruins...
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-30 18:23:18  
Carbuncle.Aeonknight said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Lakshmi.Rayna said:
Occultation works great with MM in the mix, but good luck keeping it going with just VV/RR/GH. I don't know why any BLU would choose to use RR over MM, but maybe that's just me. I guess the Almace will allow you to be a normal DD first and a mage second. Occultation's recast is about 1 full minute. If I remember correctly, it costs 138 MP. Which means you would need 2.3mp/tic to cover the costs of keeping Occultation up whenever possible. Now, this isn't a problem with BLU's auto refresh, gear refresh, and 3 Battery Charge, but if you add in many extra spells you might start running into a problem. You'd be able to sustain the occasional Magic Fruit and Actinic Burst though.
Well if you planned on doing most your DD or hate keeping via spells sure why not.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2010-12-30 21:11:59  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Lakshmi.Rayna said:
Well if you planned on doing most your DD or hate keeping via spells sure why not.
Because you have access to a good crit WS, something that shouldn't be overlooked or downplayed ever.
Because that VV atma we use gives us free TP and you're going to hit 100% in between chain affinity timers, so it'd be best to put that sword to use.
Because with smart MP management and even a tiny bit of support, you don't need the MP that MM gives you.
Because with a little bit of work, your sword will be just as much a factor in your dmg as your spells will be (even more so if you have an empyrean.)
Because the increase in crit rate will significantly bump up your dmg while TP'ing, moreso if you have double attack or multi hit sword in the offhand.

And if you don't believe me, ask Rayna.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-30 22:19:24  
Because you have access to a good crit WS, something that shouldn't be overlooked or downplayed ever. Because that VV atma we use gives us free TP and you're going to hit 100% in between chain affinity timers, so it'd be best to put that sword to use. Because with smart MP management and even a tiny bit of support, you don't need the MP that MM gives you. Because with a little bit of work, your sword will be just as much a factor in your dmg as your spells will be (even more so if you have an empyrean.) Because the increase in crit rate will significantly bump up your dmg while TP'ing, moreso if you have double attack or multi hit sword in the offhand. And if you don't believe me, ask Rayna.

Soo just be a less effective Monk with 8 shadows every minute but a considerably lower max HP and counter-rate?

If you're worried about TP feed(the only reason I see not to spam spells), then use a tank that has high subtle blow(MNK).

If you're tanking with minimal support, then use Sanguine Blade to recover HP between spell spams. Which is not benefitting at all from Razed Ruins.

But if you read what I wrote and didn't just stop at what you've bolded you'd realize that I didn't just discredit that person's idea. Rather, I just don't see the point in using 1 out of the 20 spells that you can set, then play the job like it's MNK and say you're a tank. MNK can already rip ***up with low delay, and extremely high counter rate, and heavy HP.

Again, I'll re-iterate this. BLU is versatile enough to be able to somewhat mimic MNK, I just don't see the point in it. I personally enjoy the more magey aspect of BLU, where I am casting whenever and whatever is feasible for the moment. If you enjoy the more melee-DD with the rare use of a spell like on DRK, then that's all for you.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-30 22:21:21  
You do realize part of the reason you are getting enough tp is because you aren't using as much mp right? Anyways he specifically was saying for tanking. And it's hard to be smart with your mp management with keeping hate and keepign yourself alive /mnk lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-30 22:24:12  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
You do realize part of the reason you are getting enough tp is because you aren't using as much mp right? Anyways he specifically was saying for tanking. And it's hard to be smart with your mp management with keeping hate and keepign yourself alive /mnk lol

Obviously you dont need to use any MP other than on occulation because vorpal blade does all the tanking for you, duh!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-30 22:32:22  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Obviously you dont need to use any MP other than on occulation because vorpal blade does all the tanking for you, duh!
Tell that to the plds who don't tank anymore...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-30 22:36:07  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Tell that to the plds who don't tank anymore...

I know right :p
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2010-12-30 23:44:44  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
And you realize that if you're in a situation where /MNK is even feasible, you're not spamming occultation or healing spells or actinic burst because you're probably not in much danger to begin with, right?

If he wants to hold hate on exp mobs with spell spam using MM, that's his thing. But giving up all of your sword dmg to do so? That's just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, especially when it's possible to have both. Why pidgeon hole yourself into only being able to deal damage 1 way when you can embrace both aspects? VV/RR/MM.

That being said, am I going to sub /MNK to xp? no, Dual Wield 3 is too delicious to pass up. especially when your purpose is to kill ***fast.
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-30 23:56:08  
BLU/WAR with -50% pdt can easily tank any NM in abyssea with just a RDM for support. I've yet to encounter an NM that can't be done with that combo. It's much easier to know exactly how much damage you're going to take rather than hoping for counter.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-12-31 00:05:53  
My only attraction to a mnk + whm combo is more about the ability to proc blu !! which honestly blu fails at, now if you're going for red proc, or grellow, you might be better off.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-31 00:09:52  
Bismarck.Helel said:
BLU/WAR with -50% pdt can easily tank any NM in abyssea with just a RDM for support. I've yet to encounter an NM that can't be done with that combo. It's much easier to know exactly how much damage you're going to take rather than hoping for counter.

so you've easily tanked Rani like that? plz tell me your gear set then cuz i'd love to try that
 Lakshmi.Rayna
By Lakshmi.Rayna 2010-12-31 09:45:46  
I've turtle tanked a lot and easily hit 999 defense and I still end up becoming an mp sponge. As BLU/NIN, my shadows drop just too fast. My purpose here is to tank higher end mobs like the T3 Khim in Abyssea (so I can work on my Stage 3 Almace).

I really can't speak to BLU/MNK yet since I've never tried it. It's really just an idea at this point. The idea of negating 50% of melee attacks (more with Atma) sounds pretty appealing, especially when I can still blink away some with Occultation. There's also the added bonus of the extra HP boost and Subtle Blow III.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-01-02 22:20:06  
Now I wanna try BLU/MNK with GH/RL/RR for shits and giggles, lol.
 Sylph.Rorrick
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-01-02 23:25:59  
Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with being half a MNK?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-02 23:28:51  
I think people forgot how much having next to 0 def hurts you and that mmnks only get away with it with there killer hp and awesome counter rate... and of course real utsesmi shadows
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-02 23:43:54  
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with being half a MNK?

Because they dont wanna level MNK up all the way =p
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2011-01-03 00:07:26  
I read this as blm/mnk and I lol'd then read it again.... sadface :/
First Page 2