Why Do You Celebrate?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Why do you celebrate?
Why do you celebrate?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-22 23:19:01  
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Caitsith.Enygma said:
Fenrir.Mankey said:
Bismarck.Toabea said:
Christmas is stupid, the religious part of it anyway, you can celebrate it better if your not religious. Besides, any thinking person KNOWS there is NO GOD. At least not the gods we have put a label on thus far(insert the 3 abrahamic gods).
Any thinking person knows not to speak with complete certainty.

He didn't, he said AT LEAST the 3 abrahamic gods and id have to agree. Religion expecially those 3 are full of ***. There is NOTHING about religion that makes sense. And it's so shamelessly made up, any idiot can tell. Yes, you can never be completely certain that there isn't a spooky father figure making sure your good or bad, but we don't get our morals from him.

The 3 abrahamic religions are a sore on the backside of the progression of mankind. It's not a ***, its an honest thing.

If your atheist you can't hold public office in 13 of the U.S. states, no matter how good of a candidite you are. You can't join the boyscouts(which is a national funded organization, not a religious one). You are told condoms are bad in a world filled with aids, and birth control is bad in a world overrun with people.

Religious people are the ones pushing to enhibit stem-cell research, and want to strip the woman's right to stop abortion and make it illegal.

Separating the fact that the U.S. was not founded on religion, but anti-religion, and secularism. One nation under god wasn't added to the pledge of allegeance until the 1950's neither was "In god we trust" on money. These are the people who want to force you to say it in school, push to teach creationism aside evolution as it was an accredited science field, which it isn't.

Point is, religion effects everyone's life, regardless of your denomination. I personally wouldn't care what you believe if you kept it to yourself, but religious people don't(and yes i understand not all religious people do this, but religion as a whole is doing it).

In conclusion, even if I were religious, christmas is definatly not a religious holiday anymore, it is consumer based and just an excuse to get presents and hang out with your family(which most people ignore for the most part).

Edit: my spelling is worse than my hatred for religion, i know...
I don't believe in god in the least but I really don't understand why atheist speak like their way is the only way. (Which is the same thing they HATE religious people for) You really shouldn't give a *** if some one has faith, or another does not. The one area you are 100% correct on is the fact our government truly needs to drop its "Christian/True American" *** that does stop things like stem cell research from becoming a reality, and if you have only briefly looked into stem cell research, you should really read into how groundbreaking/amazing it is.....

it's the only logical way
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-22 23:19:47  
Happy Holidays to all.
 Caitsith.Enygma
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Enygma3
By Caitsith.Enygma 2010-12-22 23:32:25  
AsuraVanzan said:
I could care less if His real birthday was July 4, that's not the point. Dec 25 is the day that has been set aside to celebrate the birth of my savior Jesus Christ

lol
 Asura.Silvaria
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 00:03:44  
I'm an atheist, so I don't "celebrate" Christmas, per se; however, I enjoy the traditions of togetherness, feasting, and gift-giving.

Sadly, the entire "War on Christmas" nonsense has somewhat ruined the holiday for me over the years. It's nonsensical to think anyone is trying to prevent the religious from celebrating it exactly as they see fit.

In fact, a few years ago on atheism.about.com, they conducted a poll asking how many atheists were offended by the term, "Merry Christmas". Over 200 atheists from all over the world responded. Not a single one was offended by the term in any way, and in fact, the vast majority used it themselves, as I do.

To me, the "War on Christmas" is just an attempt for some easily-offended Christians to play the martyr card for brownie points. It doesn't actually exist.

And that being said, Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, and Happy Holidays to everyone, no matter what and how you celebrate. 8)
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-23 00:05:14  
Hey! I got everyone a Christmas gift in the LS Ni thread!
Go check it out! Merry Christmas everyone! <3333
 Leviathan.Powerslave
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2010-12-23 00:25:44  
I celebrate because of family. I'm an atheist, but I *** love Christmas. My brother comes home (He's a Marine) with his girlfriend once a year for Christmas for about a week or so, and the rest of our close family comes over on the 24th since we celebrate on Christmas Eve. We eat tons of home made tamales and other home made awesomeness and just have an amazing time talking, laughing, eating, and just being a happy family.

Then on the 25th, the rest of our family comes over (which is huge, a lottt of people) and we all celebrate that day together. It's just an awesome feeling, being with everyone and having a great time.
 Ifrit.Kittycaper
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kittycaper 2010-12-23 01:13:24  

I celbrate for the magic...
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 01:34:10  
Asura.Silvaria said:
I'm an atheist, so I don't "celebrate" Christmas, per se; however, I enjoy the traditions of togetherness, feasting, and gift-giving.

Sadly, the entire "War on Christmas" nonsense has somewhat ruined the holiday for me over the years. It's nonsensical to think anyone is trying to prevent the religious from celebrating it exactly as they see fit.

In fact, a few years ago on atheism.about.com, they conducted a poll asking how many atheists were offended by the term, "Merry Christmas". Over 200 atheists from all over the world responded. Not a single one was offended by the term in any way, and in fact, the vast majority used it themselves, as I do.

To me, the "War on Christmas" is just an attempt for some easily-offended Christians to play the martyr card for brownie points. It doesn't actually exist.

And that being said, Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, and Happy Holidays to everyone, no matter what and how you celebrate. 8)

I don't give a crap what people celebrate in their homes, or even in public space that they pay the costs for. However when there's religious "crap" that the taxpayers pay for is where it crosses the line.

ie: Nativity scenes on public property, instead of at churches where they belong.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-12-23 01:54:54  
Hey Jet, the mistle toe on my street lights is paid by you. Suck it.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 02:02:57  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
I don't give a crap what people celebrate in their homes, or even in public space that they pay the costs for. However when there's religious "crap" that the taxpayers pay for is where it crosses the line.

ie: Nativity scenes on public property, instead of at churches where they belong.

Oh, I agree completely. In fact, I was reading an article earlier on atheism.about.com, and as usual, Austin Cline put it very logically [emphasis mine]:

Critics want atheists to believe that Christmas is the worst time for them to stand up and draw attention to themselves by criticizing religion, but just the opposite is the case. Christmas is a good time to speak out precisely because Christians have for so long been used to have the time all to themselves. Religious Christmas displays on public grounds are unnecessary for the purpose of advertising either Christmas or Christianity; instead, they exist solely to establish a connection in people's minds between Christian beliefs and public government. Few if any religions are granted such a status during their holidays, thus cementing in popular imagination the privileged, official status of Christianity.

Christians who want to suppress criticism of religion during Christmas are simply trying to carve out a cultural, social, and political space where they can dominate the conversation without fear of contradiction or dissent. Giving in to their expectations means allowing them to continue imagining that they deserve to be privileged; speaking up and challenging them means forcing them to confront the fact that they cannot and should not count on continuing to be privileged politically, socially, or culturally. More is achieved by doing this at Christmas precisely because of the cultural importance it holds in America.

Atheist signs criticizing religion are direct challenges not just to Christian beliefs, but the official privileging of those beliefs. If we don't do it at Christmas, why even bother trying to do it any other time?

The entire article is available here for those who are interested:

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistactivism/a/ChristmasSign.htm

It's amazing how vilified we are just for wanting to exercise our Constitutional rights, and this season seems to bring it out the most. 8(

Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 02:03:45  
Fairy.Spence said:

Hmm...so if I come up to Canada and stand under that street light, someone has to kiss me? 8P
 Cerberus.Najla
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Najla
By Cerberus.Najla 2010-12-23 02:09:52  
We have a two year old, Christmas is still magical and wonderful to him, so that's why I celebrate! That and holidays that have lots of food are my bff's.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-12-23 02:13:20  
Christmas makes me feel good by buying gifts for people I care about, so as I said earlier, suck it. (I won't pretend I don't like getting gifts).

Unrelated:

'Consumerism' helps the economy so many of you seem to *** and moan about.
[+]
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 02:27:31  
Fairy.Spence said:
Christmas makes me feel good by buying gifts for people I care about, so as I said earlier, suck it. (I won't pretend I don't like getting gifts).

Unrelated:

Hm...I don't really think anyone was saying Christmas should be cancelled, lol...perhaps I misread the previous posts, but I thought the point that was raised was simply that taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for blatantly religious displays on public property.

Conversely, I imagine religious taxpayers would not be happy about being forced to contribute to atheist signs and symbols, so in all reality, the government should be taking a position of neutrality.

Just seems to make sense. 8)
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:30:49  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

Hm...I don't really think anyone was saying Christmas should be cancelled, lol...perhaps I misread the previous posts, but I thought the point that was raised was simply that taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for blatantly religious displays on public property.

Conversely, I imagine religious taxpayers would not be happy about being forced to contribute to atheist signs and symbols, so in all reality, the government should be taking a position of neutrality.

Let me start off by saying I'm not religious. I don't believe in Christianity I'm Agnostic.

But to me, if you remove the religious aspect of Christmas you kill it. Yes I know it started off as a pagan holiday, and yes I know people celebrate a totally religion free Christmas (Or X-mas would be more appropriate) every year. But for me, I love seeing the nativity scene in my local town, I love the Christmas carols sung in my local towns too.

To me, take away the religious aspect and Christmas becomes devoid of a soul.
By Artemicion 2010-12-23 02:32:23  
The winter solstice has a keen correlation of celebration between all major religions around the world though. So if anything this has more to do with the season more so than the birth of some figurehead or anything of the like directly relating to some dogma.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-12-23 02:33:22  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I guess I am biased. I don't live in America. I'm not struggling for money (I think it's your own fault, but I digress), I have no qualms paying taxes. I don't mind paying taxes for any legitimate expression of religion.

But you know what? We're Canada, what the *** do we know? :)

Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:34:29  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

Let me start off by saying I'm not religious. I don't believe in Christianity I'm Agnostic.

But to me, if you remove the religious aspect of Christmas you kill it. Yes I know it started off as a pagan holiday, and yes I know people celebrate a totally religion free Christmas (Or X-mas would be more appropriate) every year. But for me, I love seeing the nativity scene in my local town, I love the Christmas carols sung in my local towns too.

if you want the scene, then you put the funds to have it on your property, christmas =/= nativity scenes.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:35:37  
Fairy.Spence said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I guess I am biased. I don't live in America. I'm not struggling for money (I think it's your own fault, but I digress), I have no qualms paying taxes. I don't mind paying taxes for any legitimate expression of religion.

But you know what? We're Canada, what the *** do we know? :)

Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 02:35:42  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Wow, that's so odd to me.

I grew up in a family that didn't celebrate Christmas religiously in the least. Did that lessen it for me at all? Hell, no. I have many, many happy memories of family get-togethers, making Christmas cookies, caroling, hot chocolate and marshmallows, and of course, opening awesome presents. The religious aspect wasn't present at all.

I have to disagree with you here, with all due respect. The TRUE meaning of the season is what the individual gives it. If it means celebrating the birth of your messiah, that's awesome. If it means gift-giving, that's cool, too. If it means family reunions and delicious dinners and desserts, more power to you.

It's just silly for any of us to sit here and say, "Well, it HAS to mean x OR IT MEANS NOTHING!!!" Seriously, would you try to take away the wonder of the holidays from a child who has never celebrated it religiously?? o,O
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:36:43  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

if you want the scene, then you put the funds to have it on your property, christmas =/= nativity scenes.

Nope. I'll enjoy and do what I like. Feel free to petition the stop of it though, I'll be on the other side petitioning to keep it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:37:05  
Fairy.Spence said:

your mistletoe has nothing to do with religion, nor my tax money..
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:38:42  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

Nope. I'll enjoy and do what I like. Feel free to petition the stop of it though, I'll be on the other side petitioning to keep it.

government and public places should be secular, to say otherwise just proves how ignorant you are.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:39:02  
Asura.Silvaria said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Wow, that's so odd to me.

I grew up in a family that didn't celebrate Christmas religiously in the least. Did that lessen it for me at all? Hell, no. I have many, many happy memories of family get-togethers, making Christmas cookies, caroling, hot chocolate and marshmallows, and of course, opening awesome presents. The religious aspect wasn't present at all.

I have to disagree with you here, with all due respect. The TRUE meaning of the season is what the individual gives it. If it means celebrating the birth of your messiah, that's awesome. If it means gift-giving, that's cool, too. If it means family reunions and delicious dinners and desserts, more power to you.

It's just silly for any of us to sit here and say, "Well, it HAS to mean x OR IT MEANS NOTHING!!!" Seriously, would you try to take away the wonder of the holidays from a child who has never celebrated it religiously?? o,O

Of course not, that's why it's my personal view on the matter. I don't like people telling me how I should celebrate Christmas.

Would I force anyone to listen to Christmas carollers? hell no. That doesn't mean that those wanting to enjoy it, can't.

Which is what people are trying to make Christmas. They're taking my favourite aspects of it away, therefore it annoys me.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:39:29  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

government and public places should be secular, to say otherwise just proves how ignorant you are.

I disagree.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-12-23 02:40:14  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Fairy.Spence said:

your mistletoe has nothing to do with religion, nor my tax money..

Well, you're probably right, but my city will decorate the 'uptown' street.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-23 02:44:17  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I disagree.

well when you live in the U.S. to where our nation was founded on the idea that there's a separation of the two, you'll think differently.

but it amuses me as to how you claim people should tolerate other's beliefs then expect them to help pay for beliefs they don't hold, quite contradictory.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-23 02:45:54  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Silvaria said:
Fairy.Spence said:

Unrelated:

I disagree.

well when you live in the U.S. to where our nation was founded on the idea that there's a separation of the two,you'll think differently.

Nope.

I'm pretty sure nothing will make me think differently, as it is my subjective opinion.

Also, I never claimed I'm not selfish. And I don't know how it works with you, but our churches pay for their own nativity scene.
 Asura.Silvaria
By Asura.Silvaria 2010-12-23 02:49:06  
Oh, I have no problem with nativity scenes, as long as my tax dollars didn't go towards putting them on government property.

On private property? Go for it. More power to you, it's called, "freedom". 8)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8