[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-09 11:07:40  
Eric:
It's a sad reality, but FFXI players can basically be divided into two groups:
(A) players who view themselves as special/important/superior, and
(B) players who see right through that facade and know those in the first group are childish insecure jackasses.

These two groups do not see eye-to-eye about anything in FFXI, at all. The elitists will always think their contributions to a group are the most valuable, and their time is too precious to be spent contributing to others' goals. The non-elitists will always lend a helping hand to others, regardless of personal gain.

The elitists' favorite make-believe anxiety is that other players "might waste my time" or "jack my loot". So, if you run into one of these people, he simply isn't going to help you out, even with something as benign and non-threatening as inviting a stranger to a party for a Magian Trial kill.

It's always been that way, and it probably always will.
Do I condone it? Hell no. Is it a reality? Yeah.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-12-09 11:16:33  
Sylph.Vestal said:
refused to give his gf a free trial kill.

Thick-headed much? Oh, wait... I already know.
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
サーバ: Sylph
user: miperich
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:18:59  
Elena, i agree with you, and as in this situation you are refering to me as the eleist *** who wont help others i can only laugh.
I do invite people for their trials. I help people get stuff all the time, even stuff i want *gasp*
I feel that ffxi is devided more into people who actually understand how the game was meant to be played, and people who just want everything all the time.
I dont even mean just items, like, why do people feel the need to aby level 9 jobs to 90 then gear them all with ***, but beleive they deserve a bullwhip belt because their thf has 900 eva. I really have no point anymore
Nib high football rules
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-12-09 11:21:42  
I understand the 'wanting to play the game' but it makes no sense with this situation. It may be just a NM kill, but its also another hour of time wasting there(at least), because someone wouldn't team up for the kill, because they claimed it? I dont understand any negativity that could come from that, aside from wondering 'what the ***?'
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:25:01  
Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
I understand the 'wanting to play the game' but it makes no sense with this situation. It may be just a NM kill, but its also another hour of time wasting there(at least), because someone wouldn't team up for the kill, because they claimed it? I dont understand any negativity that could come from that, aside from wondering 'what the ***?'
I dont think anybody is arguing what he did was pointless brosif!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-09 11:26:18  
Anybody else find Elana's post ironic?

Holy *** @ that pic on the first page Bart. Wish I had all my old screenshots... Had something similar go down in an old social shell of mine. Strangest CN party ever.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-09 11:27:58  
Vestal: I wasn't specifically referring to you. But if the shoe fits, wear it, I guess? I dunno.

Leveling one job and gearing it to the maximum vs. leveling a multitude of jobs with average equipment is simply a matter of playstyle. I don't think that overlaps with the elitist vs. non-elitist discussion, since most elitists I've met want to both level all jobs and have maxed-out gear for all of them, too.
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:30:28  
Ok so ill tell my story of the week!
It all started as a typical day at ole' conflux 7 of la thein plateu!
All of a sudden from the sky appears a flying jellyfish!RAWR! a thf claims mr ovni and starts reverse tanking it for a little to bring his mule in to db kill it, so i wait for tod. (before the update)
After about an hour of deaths, reraises, deaths, exiting, getting more time.... This guy just wont give up. All in all, took him to bring in his 3 friends, on a raged ovni, wasted sooooo much time trying it. He eventually gave in. He later returned and said he just really wanted the belt, cant blame the guy for trying but 2 hours hitting for 0 wasting everybodies time kinda sucked.
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:32:05  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Vestal: I wasn't specifically referring to you. But if the shoe fits, wear it, I guess? I dunno.

Leveling one job and gearing it to the maximum vs. leveling a multitude of jobs with average equipment is simply a matter of playstyle. I don't think that overlaps with the elitist vs. non-elitist discussion, since most elitists I've met want to both level all jobs and have maxed-out gear for all of them, too.
Decent gear + up to date skills for the level is cool by me. But lvl 90 blms nuking 100 am2s is too common
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-12-09 11:37:55  
Level 90 blms nuking 100 damage AM2s? ***. You could nuke harder than that naked.

My blm was gimp as ***, and still is, and I was nuking for 1500+ on thunder 4s. My blm also wore mostly mediocre crap (teal set, etc.). Everyone knows atmas are 100 times more important than gear at this point anyway.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-09 11:40:18  
Sylph.Vestal said:
Ok so ill tell my story of the week!
It all started as a typical day at ole' conflux 7 of la thein plateu!
All of a sudden from the sky appears a flying jellyfish!RAWR! a thf claims mr ovni and starts reverse tanking it for a little to bring his mule in to db kill it, so i wait for tod. (before the update)
After about an hour of deaths, reraises, deaths, exiting, getting more time.... This guy just wont give up. All in all, took him to bring in his 3 friends, on a raged ovni, wasted sooooo much time trying it. He eventually gave in. He later returned and said he just really wanted the belt, cant blame the guy for trying but 2 hours hitting for 0 wasting everybodies time kinda sucked.

First off, I will admit that if had been in your shoes during this Ovni episode, I probably would have been mildly annoyed, too.

But, the way you worded your story helps make my earlier point. The lousy THF in your story made a claim, a fair claim, by the sound of it. At that point, really, the story should be over, in my opinion. He has no obligation to you, or anyone else, to kill the NM swiftly, or with "X" level of skill. He isn't "wasting your time" or anyone else's time, except his own. You were free to go do whatever else you wanted to do, whether on FFXI or not.

And that's exactly it. Other players don't waste your time. YOU waste your time. And rather than taking responsibility for your wasteful behavior, you blame someone else. Because it's easier to do that, and that way you don't have to add to your own self-hatred.

FFXI elitists of the world, suck a fat one. If another player is camping the NM you're seeking, or doesn't have equipment or parse scores that meet your expectations, or has claim on a NM you'd like to be working on, or is taking "too long" to kill said NM so that you can have your turn .... TOO F*CKING BAD. It's a game. Grow up. Play to have fun, and if you can't adapt your definition of "fun" to include other players, regardless of their skill/gear/etc, then seriously, go play a single-player RPG or read a freakin' book. That is all.

/rant-off
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:47:41  
@ ela you are correct, thats why i said nothing to him during the fight, i did not add his name and cry. I chose to keep my mule in and waste my own stones. He beat me to claim. I didnt even take it when it went white. Im only saying it was annoying/funny to watch him try. So anyway, hope you understand i wasnt pissed really. Funny thing is he could have just asked for help and at least gotten a fair shot at having the belt.
Edit* also he wasnt even geard poorly, dont think i said he was. He got unlucky with some aoe getting his mule healer hit. But he wasnt bad at all.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-09 11:48:39  
If Ovni's PDT didn't remain active after going passive I'd maybe agree with you, but it does and he's annoying to kill once that happens. MNK BRD WHM? lolno, this now calls for CORs and SMNs in a significantly larger number. He wasted other peoples time by forcing the next group to take a greater amount of time killing it and probably forcing the group to call on more people in the process.

PS: forum elitists can suck a fat one too.
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:51:09  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If Ovni's PDT didn't remain active after going passive I'd maybe agree with you, but it does and he's annoying to kill once that happens. MNK BRD WHM? lolno, this now calls for CORs and SMNs in a significantly larger number. He wasted other peoples time by forcing the next group to take a greater amount of time killing it and probably forcing the group to call on more people in the process.

Naa we just ninja rdm thf killed it like always right after.
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:53:33  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

This!!!^^^^^^^^^^b

Bahamut.Gimmeurselables
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Loltron
By Bahamut.Gimmeurselables 2010-12-09 11:53:39  
How about logging into your char to see all your gear and gil gone and somebody /telling you "does he have anything else on there??" Lmao..... douches.
[+]
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 11:56:04  
Bahamut.Gimmeurselables said:
How about logging into your char to see all your gear and gil gone and somebody /telling you "does he have anything else on there??" Lmao..... douches.
Ouch! I got hacked twice when i was on bahamut, that server is awesome right?
 Bahamut.Gimmeurselables
By Bahamut.Gimmeurselables 2010-12-09 11:58:12  
Sylph.Vestal said:
this happened on fenrir years back on my first char lol.

I actually just transferred to bahamut 2 weeks ago at kaioshin's request. It doesn't seem to bad atm lol
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 12:02:19  
Sylph.Vestal said:
this happened on fenrir years back on my first char lol.

I actually just transferred to bahamut 2 weeks ago at kaioshin's request. It doesn't seem to bad atm lol
Its the greatest place in the world! Gimmie box and belkin any day of the week! Maybe i should jump back! Im sure the whole server hates me already it will be fun^^
 Bahamut.Gimmeurselables
By Bahamut.Gimmeurselables 2010-12-09 12:06:23  
Lol doesn't sound like the greatest idea

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Arcos
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2010-12-09 12:11:24  

I never had too much of a problem with Belkin, in fact he was rather agreeable to me.

Last post was deleted when computer shut down. Basically there are the elitists who are that way because they think they are the best, then there are those who have "Been there Done that." Too many people write people off as being elitist without listening to ideas or being open-minded. Doesnt that make the non-elitist just as bad?

Basically, it doesn't matter if you like being a pink princess THF or NIN, or a full teal WHM or a perle DRG, but as soon as you let your play style effect others it is a problem. Usually people with less than average gear are the same people without good atma, or don't bring the items for their job. There is a correlation between giving any effort on gearing a job and the performance of the person.
 Diabolos.Megatron
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2010-12-09 12:12:53  
see ther are many diffrences in FFXI
no one needs anything they want things. there are skilled players and ther are unskilled players.there are people with knowladge and those who dont know were moon is. (old school pun) i started this game at north american release. ive watched it have many highs and lows. and while i agree with most things that are said and belive jsut becasue peopel dont have the gear i have or the skill level i do. doesnt nesserally make me better then them or them better then me. it makes us diffrent. respect me and i respect you.

only things that get me are these asshats who join your abyssa alliances and stand there and no one boots ther arses. or a chest drops and 1/2 the alliance stops to go look inside. we got a chest bit*h thell look kill the mobs its why your here and OMG the person who comes in you buld there time and lights and they run off to solo a nm and your 600xp per kill drops to 37. that is a asshat. and all that is done is there droped fro mteh alliance. and ther offto do it to someoen else. when i started playing someone would of done that and with in a day that person wouldnt be able to get a invite if they paid people.

but i dygress. you be you well be us. and jsut remember to not sub dancer in a party. if we wanted you t ocure peopel we wouldn't of invited that mage guy way over there. see him wave to him hes upset yourdoign his job for him insted of weapon skilling. thank you mr. samuari
[+]
 Bismarck.Arcos
By Bismarck.Arcos 2010-12-09 12:13:22  
tl;dr I have been there, soloed it and came back. My gear sucks but I still tell people how inefficient they are and give suggestions to help them improve, am I elitist?
 Sylph.Vestal
By Sylph.Vestal 2010-12-09 12:23:43  
Lol megatron! Yeah you got it right, in the good old days of ffxi, if you afkd it mattered, and you felt the pain of no invites. But then again, xp mattered too so you didnt dare afk!

@arcos i loved belkin for the way he did his thing. I was in a rival ls, so he talked trash, messed with us, the normal stuff. He was fun to play against back in the day.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-12-09 12:31:36  
Ragnarok.Erikthecleric said:
Its not just to her, if this story happened to anyone I'd feel the same, but since she's my GF, it means thats the only reason I care I guess.
Even me, UREK!??

<3 /satchel

ps. Let Chaos get sum too ;3
[+]
 Bismarck.Arcos
By Bismarck.Arcos 2010-12-09 12:34:14  
Sylph.Vestal said:
@arcos i loved belkin for the way he did his thing. I was in a rival ls, so he talked trash, messed with us, the normal stuff. He was fun to play against back in the day.

I was in a rival shell too. While we stayed away from the HNM scene as a LS, we did run across him many times camping lowman and even teamed up to low man some NMs with him. And damn, who could forget his guides, both for solo RDM and PLD and NIN guides. People can say what they want about him, but he knew how to play.

edit: http://belkinator.livejournal.com/
its amazing how many people have no idea and could be enlightened by it!