フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » BLU GK5 tips
BLU GK5 tips
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-19 11:06:23  
Hi, BLUs.

I don't know how many BLUs did the fight but I was hoping to get some tips for doing it at 70. I'm 0/3 so far and that number will probably continue to get bigger.

Hard to say what my problem is, I assume it is luck since I do almost exactly the same stuff some of the videos on youtube do, yet I lose anyway.

I'm a Taru with fairly decent gear.
 Sylph.Kwate
サーバ: Sylph
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2010-11-19 11:22:03  
for me personally GK5 *** sucked, i went 1/5, just keep pushing, you'll get it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-19 11:24:54  
I use Zephyr Mantle for blink. I don't have Diamondhide yet (Still using Metallic Body QQ). I usually eat meat (mithkabobs mostly).

I have started all three tries with 2-hour > BA > Frost Breath.

I think the only thing I'm doing wrong is not carrying enough healing meds or echo drops. < .<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xyclo
By Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo 2010-11-19 11:26:50  
Be overly prepared.
I know when I did it, I was starting to be discouraged.
Don't be afraid to have a few hi-pots, Elixir, and a Hi-elixir.

For me, Death Scissors was my best friend, especially since its a powerful move and came back fairly quickly.

Having done the fight over 2 years ago... I don't really remember much, Aside from... DO NOT LET yourself get past Yellow HP. XD

Spells I had set (if I remember correctly)
Wild Oats, Death Scissors, Dimensional Death, Head Butt, Frost Breath, Mandibular Bite, Sickle Slash, and Jet Stream. (again might be incorrect because of the fight being a while ago)

Also, have a regen and refresh drink up at all times.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
 Sylph.Kwate
サーバ: Sylph
user: kwate
By Sylph.Kwate 2010-11-19 11:26:58  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
I use Zephyr Mantle for blink. I don't have Diamondhide yet (Still using Metallic Body QQ). I usually eat meat (mithkabobs mostly).

I think the only thing I'm doing wrong is not carrying enough healing meds or echo drops. < .<

please tell me you're TP'ing somehow, ie opo necklace, wing....that's is a must.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-19 11:27:34  
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
low HP of taru may not help too, maybe you should look into using Carbonara for extra HP.

Good luck, getting the testimony sucks too ; ;
Lol yeah, first time trying took over 100 kills, after that it seemed to drop more often after one of my galka friends shouted in the zone at the Mamool. XD
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-19 11:28:07  
Sylph.Kwate said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

please tell me you're TP'ing somehow, ie opo necklace, wing....that's is a must.
Oh yes, I use Opo necklace and sleeping potions. Icky wings are getting expensive for me though, last run I didn't use one. < .<
 Fenrir.Curty
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-19 11:56:27  
have you tried vorpal > CA Death Scissors at start after frost breath. Should do massive damage if azure lore is still up.

Also, you should not be using hp or STR food... tacos + cocoon will keep you alive much longer.
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2010-11-19 11:58:26  
Actually you probably better off with vorpal> hysteric barrage, for some reason my mind was stuck in 60 cap
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2010-11-19 12:27:57  
I would recommend taking as LITTLE time as possible buffing before the fight. Opo Necklace + Sleep potions are a bad idea, imo. It took me several attempts to beat him, and I found that taking all that time to buff up beforehand just gave him even MORE time to buff himself up (since he has such insane fast cast; I watched him cast Diamondhide in about 2.5-3 seconds...).

When I finally won, what I did was ate my food before I entered, then once in, quickly used a Hi-Reraiser, Icarus Wing, and cast Refueling. Then I ran up just out of aggro range, hit Azure Lore and Chain Affinity, cast Frost Breath on him (Paralyze proc'd, which helped), then immediately did self-SC and then spammed my DD spells. It went wonderfully, and left me with a feeling that it had been too easy, after my previous failures.

There's still a luck element to it, of course. If he casts Radiant Breath (like he did for my first attempt >_>) then you're basically ***. I was lucky enough on my win attempt that he tried to cast Spinal Cleave and got paralyzed, then tried to cast Magic Fruit as I killed him.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-11-19 13:00:25  
Guide I wrote forever ago. Should still be useful.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-20 02:41:49  
Thanks for all the tips.

Got a couple friends of mine to help me get Hysteric Barrage tonight. Felt confident so I went and gave it a shot again.

I lost. :P

My mistake appears to be waiting too long to use the Vile Elixir (He stunned it and then went into Red Lotus Blade and Bludgeon).

I'm gonna try not taking so much time to buff (Kyrial's strat) and see how it works for me.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2010-11-20 04:35:29  
Use Frightful Roar to dispel his Cocoon, you'll kill him much faster like this, before he can kill you.

After you 2hr BA > Frost Breath, cast Frightful Roar, do your SC like Video, cast 1~2 more big spells and he should be dead. Shouldn't need
elixir and you should still have at least 70%+ HP left like this.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-20 05:35:18  
Hmm, I didn't even think of that. I usually just frantically unload my heavy hitters before he takes out shadows and SS.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-20 05:50:07  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Hmm, I didn't even think of that. I usually just frantically unload my heavy hitters before he takes out shadows and SS.
Despite zerging being the popular way to approach this fight, I believe it's the wrong way. You're a BLU. You have nearly a hundred different tools with which to approach this fight even at 70, make use of them. He's dangerous in extended fights as well, but that doesn't mean you can't take some time to wear him down.

Wish I still had screenshots of my fight with Raubahn, went 1/1 without using elixirs or an Opo necklace (think I popped a drink, not sure). Can't seem to find them though ; ;
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-20 05:56:13  
As a tarutaru, taking too long in the fight seems to be a really bad thing. :P

I have thought about Bind kiting (Blastbomb and Regurgitation mostly) to avoid the melee attacks. Every time I feel like trying something new, I revert back to reading testimonials and zerging in hopes that I'll have some luck. :S

Edit: Never mind on the Bind strat, 10 minutes isn't long enough. :/
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-20 08:05:38  
Best advice I can give you is just be persistant. Any or all of the above advice, but the fight is very luck based. He's a total haxxing ***, I remember he two shotted me with a 450 seraph blade > 700 bludgeon or some bs like that. The fight I ended up winning, he just did a whole bunch of useless ***, I think he even cast voracious trunk.
 Titan.Xantavia
サーバ: Titan
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2010-11-20 08:07:13  
I zerged it down myself. Think I was 1/5 or 1/6 on the win. Remember that you can buff yourself at the start, then switch up your spells. Diamondhide (if you get it) and Zephyr Mantle are 2 I remember casting, then switching out since I figured that the casting time would make it worthless once the fight started. Warm-up and cocoon are things I used right before going in for the kill. Azure Lore + Burst affinity (doesn't hurt) + frost breath from as far as you can. I threw a seedspray while he was still running towards me. Then I went down F. Rip, Death Scissors, mand. bite, sickle slash, dimensional death, then just started over when he was dead.

A key factor I felt too was making a set of macros just for the fight. This way I was able to move down the keyboard alt-1, alt-2, alt-3......

But I think the biggest factor is what spells he uses against you. First few times he loved leading with radiant breath, or frost breath, or F. rip. My winning shot, the only spell I saw him use was memento mori. Combined with getting max shadows from my own z. mantle, it was hard to believe I had lost several times already.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-20 15:00:46  
Here's hoping he does useless stuff next time!

I'm not sure how I feel about switching my spells around after buffing. It seems like it would give me less time with my buffs and more time waiting for spells to be ready while Raubahn just continues to buff himself.

I know I can beat him, I think I'm just not using meds at the right times.
 Carbuncle.Vontri
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Vontri
By Carbuncle.Vontri 2010-11-22 10:14:42  
I did this fight as my level cap increaser, I am also a Tarutaru, it isn't much and requires you to read my chat log, but it's something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9mdpp4X6M

Should show you everything I used, (buffs, spells, what not,) I don't remember the spell list I used (for Job Traits, but if I would do it now I would say I would of used anything that helps with your offensive power >> Refresh >> Defensive power

Good luck man I want 1/3, after you beat that you will feel amazing.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2010-11-23 22:29:00  
Ramuh.Laffter said:

I'm not sure how I feel about switching my spells around after buffing. It seems like it would give me less time with my buffs and more time waiting for spells to be ready while Raubahn just continues to buff himself.

I believe zerging is still the best way to do it since you can
take him down in literally 1WS and 3 dmging spells. The longer the fight, the higher chance he'll cast something dangerous and one shot you.

This is what I did, after getting my blink effect on and sleep for TP, engage, 2hr BA > Frost Breath, casted Frightful Roar, do self SC with H.barrage, headbutt(totally don't need this spell) >F.rip and he was dead in less than 5 sec after I "aggroed" him. If I remember correctly he didn't even cast any spell at all(he tried once but was interruped)

Well anyways good luck on the fight hope you win next time.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-11-23 22:38:57  
Ragnarok.Afania said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

I believe zerging is still the best way to do it since you can
take him down in literally 1WS and 3 dmging spells. The longer the fight, the higher chance he'll cast something dangerous and one shot you.

This is what I did, after getting my blink effect on and sleep for TP, engage, 2hr BA > Frost Breath, casted Frightful Roar, do self SC with H.barrage, headbutt(totally don't need this spell) >F.rip and he was dead in less than 5 sec after I "aggroed" him. If I remember correctly he didn't even cast any spell at all(he tried once but was interruped)

Well anyways good luck on the fight hope you win next time.
This is what I do. He has enough time to get Diamondhide up which cuts my Breath down to the 200s. :S
 Shiva.Khimaira
サーバ: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-11-23 22:55:17  
Went 1/2. TBH idk why more people dont try a Sleep > Barrage strategy. Seems much safer, i zerged both times, second time i wound up with 67 hp left.
By Omegahank 2010-12-21 05:08:08  
Well, I hope I ain't too late.

I recenly did this fight on cerberus and actually broke the record o.O (I have no idea how records work though, but i definately was not the fastest.) And all of the above statements are useful. The fight is down to about 50% luck imo. My mate went in to do this and he got hit by 1000 needles (that bald ***...)

Anyways the spells I used are
Head butt (3)
Frenetic rip (3)
Hysteric barrage (5)
Uppercut (3)
Sickle Slash (4)
Cocoon (1)
Metallic body (1)
Zephyr Mantle (2)
Warm-up (4)
Frost Breath (3)
Death Scissors (5)
Refueling (4)

That adds up to 38 points, giving you 2 spare which i placed Chaotic eye in, but i actually never used it.

Items used:
Vile exlixir +1 (not needed, but it can be recommended)
Yagudo drink (refresh)
Spaghetti carbonara:
(HP +14%
MP +15
Strength +4
Vitality +2
Intelligence -3
Attack +18%
Store TP +6)
Persikos Au Lait (4hp/tick regen)
Opo-opo necklace + 4 sleeping pots.
And a couple of ethers to reduce time taken by -healing- after casting buffs at start.

After all my buffs were up and relitavely maxed out on HP and mp
I went in like this:

BA > Frost Breath > Azure lore > Vorpal Blade > Hysteric Barrage > Head butt > frenetic rip (basically from here on go through the spell list, casting head butt between each 2nd spell) > Vile exlixir +1 when HP turned yellow and then finished off with a frenetic rip.

I hope this helps you in anyway if needbe. Now go kick baldies ***!