users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Gear/Atmas/Critiques
Gear/Atmas/Critiques
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-17 15:56:21  
Feel free to post yours here's mine so far.

TP Build (5 hit /SAM)

SlugWINDER (5 Hit /SAM)

Arching Arrow (Razed Ruin Atma and Drifter :Q 5 Hit again)

Barrage(Hurr Durr Whiff Time :( )

Augmented Items
Anwig Salade: WSACC+15 STR+4 RACC+10 RATK+5

Drone Earring: Ranged Accuracy+1

Amemet mantle+1: HP-3 MP+3 AGI+1 DEX-1 VIT-1 (Trivial Negatives for a RNG)

Fay Gendawa: STR+4 RATK+15 WSACC+13 (need a new bow I know)

Atma's
Drifter
Razed Ruins
V. Violet
Choking Wind
Gnarled Horn
Opinions

Drifter and VV Seem great for max Sidewinder Damage but Razed Ruins might out do VV over time on a parse. I'm honestly starting to favor Razed Ruins even on RNG because it gives Arching Arrow some serious Ooomph. Before getting drifter it was very hot having 2 crits in a row on double shot as well. Once I get my computer working as it should I'll do some tests and parses.

Gear Options?
AF3+1 is a given Just Prioritizing WAR and DRG at the moment for seals. Siege Bow I badly need though I'm tempted to get coins for Jisnu's Radiance Bow. The Numbers look really nice especially with Razed Ruins Atma.

A Vulcan's Ring and Abyssea Mantles would be nice though too.

I'm not really sure about a few gear options.

For Weapon Skills Seiryu's Kote or Crimson Finger Gauntlets D:
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-11-17 16:41:01  
Siege bow is very easy to get...you could probably solo the NM on rng
 Sylph.Zefyr
サーバ: Sylph
user: Zefyr
By Sylph.Zefyr 2010-11-17 16:46:23  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

SlugShot (5 Hit /SAM)

You slug shot with a bow on? Neat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Cerelyn
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Cerelyn 2010-11-17 16:48:59  
Sylph.Zefyr said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

SlugShot (5 Hit /SAM)

i lol'd
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-17 17:54:34  
Ragnarok.Cerelyn said:
Sylph.Zefyr said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

SlugShot (5 Hit /SAM)

i lol'd

Whoops ! I tried Chukwa last night, I had bad luck is all he stayed in his shell for awhile even though I spammed arrows. I sorta wonder how a holy bolt build with machine xbow would do on him?
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-17 18:05:33  
he stays in shell until 90% i believe.
 Bahamut.Evilswine
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2010-11-17 22:24:46  
Won't the snapshot on aurore outdo the salade?
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-17 22:51:59  
Bahamut.Evilswine said:

I'm only a few seals away from AF3+1 Head. Also archery and Marksmanship still need capping D: So the Acc may be beneficial to me.
Plus it's pink so w/e lol
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-11-17 23:34:01  
Bahamut.Evilswine said:

begin the shot with aurore beret, end it with the salade/whatever
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-20 03:29:18  
Got my Siege Bow tonight, I burned through so many bolts. Solo'd it until 65% then had a friend come and help it went down smooth. I used Drifter Atma and the one from the clot (10 tick Regen)
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-11-21 13:50:07  
I believe Stout Arm and Voracious Violet are the only two atmas you should ever use on RNG, unless you're soloing or something and need Regen. Kalamari's atma looks decent if you don't have access to VV or SA. Razed Ruins is pretty crappy on RNG because ranged attacks only receive a 25% damage boost from a critical hit. With RR this would only be 55%. In contrast, a melee with RR would receive a damage boost of roughly 130%.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-21 14:14:14  
Bismarck.Helel said:
ranged attacks only receive a 25% damage boost from a critical hit. With RR this would only be 55%. In contrast, a melee with RR would receive a damage boost of roughly 130%.

How do you figure that? Base crit damage (3.0 max for melee, and 3.75 for ranged) is multiplied by 1.30 with RR atma.
 Bahamut.Evilswine
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2010-11-21 14:15:14  
Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
begin the shot with aurore beret, end it with the salade/whatever

What would a macro look like for this to work?
 Siren.Froggis
サーバ: Siren
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-21 14:38:55  
Its easier to have: Snapshot macro as /equip whatevers /wait 1 /shoot <t> and then have a seperate macro to change the snapshot pieces back to tp pieces after you draw your bow/gun/xbow. You can also have a seperate macro of /shoot <t> if you dislike the /wait 1.

edit: was directed at the person directly before me, forgot to hit quote button.
 Siren.Froggis
サーバ: Siren
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-21 14:43:54  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bismarck.Helel said:
ranged attacks only receive a 25% damage boost from a critical hit. With RR this would only be 55%. In contrast, a melee with RR would receive a damage boost of roughly 130%.

How do you figure that? Base crit damage (3.0 max for melee, and 3.75 for ranged) is multiplied by 1.30 with RR atma.

He's talking about how generally speaking, a melee critical is double normal damage whereas ranged attacks only get 1.25x normal damage when they crit. I'm not sure that ranged attacks are only 1.25x normal damage as I thought it was 1.5x on crits but point is, ranged attacks critical for a lower percentage than melee criticals. I don't know what the 3.0 and 3.75 numbers you posted but 100% certain the melee crits are besically double dmg of normal attack and ranged attack crits are significantly less than double normal damage.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-21 15:03:24  
Siren.Froggis said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bismarck.Helel said:

He's talking about how generally speaking, a melee critical is double normal damage whereas ranged attacks only get 1.25x normal damage when they crit. I'm not sure that ranged attacks are only 1.25x normal damage as I thought it was 1.5x on crits but point is, ranged attacks critical for a lower percentage than melee criticals. I don't know what the 3.0 and 3.75 numbers you posted but 100% certain the melee crits are besically double dmg of normal attack and ranged attack crits are significantly less than double normal damage.

2 hander pDif caps at 2.2, so With D100+ 20 fSTR, thats 120*2.2 = 264 regular hit. Critical would be *3.0 so 360, that's not close to double even with a .05 randomizer.

Ranged pDif caps at 3.0 and is multiplied by 1.25 (3.75) which is where he's getting his number from. So ballparking D/fstr2 total at 120*3.75 = 450 crit before randomizer.

Then RR atma is applied, which is damage *1.30. So 343 and 585 respectively.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-21 15:12:37  
I'd just like to say that SA + VV seems a bit excessive. You would be so far above the fstr caps it's not even funny. Double attack of course is wasted on rng and the regain just sorta lets you use less store tp but hard to figure out exactly how much and still be safe/consistent. Of course depending on buffs the ratt from SA might not mean much either.

I will say this before I got VV and was messing around with SA + drifter vs SA + RR my crit ws would consistently do more with RR then slugwinders would do with drifter when they actually critted that is lol.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-03 15:34:21  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'd just like to say that SA + VV seems a bit excessive. You would be so far above the fstr caps it's not even funny. Double attack of course is wasted on rng and the regain just sorta lets you use less store tp but hard to figure out exactly how much and still be safe/consistent. Of course depending on buffs the ratt from SA might not mean much either.

I will say this before I got VV and was messing around with SA + drifter vs SA + RR my crit ws would consistently do more with RR then slugwinders would do with drifter when they actually critted that is lol.

VV helps free up some slot's honestly. Just as long as you do the math in FFXI Calculator and figure out the time each shot takes. Then add in how many tics of Regain would kick in. Let's say 4 TP to be reasonable.

I guess as an example consider this.

Loki's Kaf +7
Rajas Ring +5
Volley Earring +2
Sam Sub +15

With Murti Bow (DMG:91 Delay 524, Antlion/Demon Arrows 90 Delay)
19.4 tp per hit.
5 Hits for 97 TP. Odds are even from 0 TP you will end up with 2 TP because of VV atma.

For example with capped Snapshot merits and Velocity Shot up
Delay would be 4.2 seconds per shot.

Now regain tics what? every 1.whatever seconds?

It would take 16 seconds to reach 100TP after firing off a weaponskill once. And atleast half of that if you get lucky with double shot procs.

Safe to say having a 4 tp deficit in your 5 Hit Build with VV atma is realistic to do and really easy to figure out the math.

That being said it did give me room to improve my 5 hit build a long with that since my last post. I got a couple upgrades.

I also got a Lib. Mantle but that's Barrage onry it's looking.
AF3 Head/Leg/Feet seals are a bit of a *** atm but are slowly coming

Edit:
I haven't been able to use this bow yet but I Imagine the Higher Base DMG and Lower delay should out parse Siege bow easily.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-03 21:21:02  
Str doesn't just increase fstr. 50 strength is also +25 ranged attack, which is only 15 less attack than drifter (assuming drifter is +40 and not +30). 2/tic regain is worth 15 less ranged attack imo. Stout arm is obviously more ranged attack than drifter by far.

RR + ranged natural crit bonus is 162.5% (1.25 * 1.30) to be exact. Melee would be about 260% (2 * 1.30). So there's about a 100% difference in damage boost between melee damage and ranged damage hence why RR is not a good atma for ranger to use.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-03 22:25:41  
Bismarck.Helel said:
Str doesn't just increase fstr. 50 strength is also +25 ranged attack, which is only 15 less attack than drifter (assuming drifter is +40 and not +30). 2/tic regain is worth 15 less ranged attack imo. Stout arm is obviously more ranged attack than drifter by far.

RR + ranged natural crit bonus is 162.5% (1.25 * 1.30) to be exact. Melee would be about 260% (2 * 1.30). So there's about a 100% difference in damage between melee damage and ranged damage hence why RR is not a good atma for ranger to use.

Still need Stout Arm tbh. Stout+VV looks good for an all out offensive.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-03 22:40:30  
Bismarck.Helel said:

RR + ranged natural crit bonus is 162.5% (1.25 * 1.30) to be exact. Melee would be about 260% (2 * 1.30). So there's about a 100% difference in damage between melee damage and ranged damage hence why RR is not a good atma for ranger to use.
260/162.5=60% difference, not 100%.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-03 22:47:09  
Atma of the Gnarled Horn should still be pretty good. +20% crit rate. 50 agi. Some lol counter
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-03 22:56:42  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Atma of the Gnarled Horn should still be pretty good. +20% crit rate. 50 agi. Some lol counter

It was funny having that counter kick in when Seigen was down.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-04 13:20:01  
I meant to be referring to the damage boost, not the damage. I'll fix my wording if it wasn't obvious enough. Melee receive 100% more of a damage boost than RNG does, which comes out to be a 60% difference in actual damage.

I don't think gnarled horn will beat vv or stout arm. The crit bonus really isn't that great, and unlike razed ruins, the damage from crits isn't even increased. The 50 agi would be nice for ws, but pretty much useless for tp unless you're badly in need of acc for some reason.
[+]
 Leviathan.Korialstrasz
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Korialstrasz 2010-12-04 13:43:59  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
he stays in shell until 90% i believe.
From personal experience he won't come out until at least 90%, but can stay in until 80%.