フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thief's Knife
Thief's Knife
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Rocha
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: aaron3126
By Bahamut.Rocha 2009-02-07 01:24:16  
i heard soo many things about main handing it or off handing it. does make it any difference on the TH?
 Fairy.Seraphita
サーバ: Fairy
user: rogueking
By Fairy.Seraphita 2009-02-07 01:42:54  
Makes no difference what-so-ever. +1% either way.
 Bahamut.Memimi
user: Memimi
By Bahamut.Memimi 2009-02-07 01:46:17  
No difference, just offhand the one with the lower delay.
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-07 01:46:46  
You could equip it, get one hit off, swap weps (and lose your TP in the process) BUT still have TH3 on the mob.

Main hand, off-hand, out of hand after 1 hit, it doesn't matter...
 Bahamut.Rocha
user: aaron3126
By Bahamut.Rocha 2009-02-07 01:53:40  
i taught so ty ^^
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-02-07 08:20:50  
Memimi said:
No difference, just offhand the one with the lower delay.

No, you off-hand the lower dmg weapon, not the lower delay. It's just usually the case that your higher dmg dagger has more delay, unless you have a Blau or something.
 Siren.Wiccaan
サーバ: Siren
user: Wiccaan
By Siren.Wiccaan 2009-02-07 12:43:28  
TH is a lie anyway, either way it's not going to work.
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-07 12:54:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Treasure Hunter... It's right up there with Elvis still being alive, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-07 14:43:14  
Wiccaan said:
TH is a lie anyway, either way it's not going to work.

Artemicion said:
Treasure Hunter... It's right up there with Elvis still being alive, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

What? I see a huge improvement in drops when I duo with my THF friend...
 Unicorn.Tavlov
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-07 15:22:43  
Take it off? how do you suppose that works? If i equip a snakeeye, to get regen effect then take it off, i still have regen? <.<

EDIT: V
I personally believe its too close to tell if it works in off-hand, so if im farming anything i want extra TH on, ill just main hand it, screw the extra dmg.
 Valefor.Redenius
サーバ: Valefor
user: Redenius
By Valefor.Redenius 2009-02-07 16:52:56  
I have been a THF for awhile now. It seems to me I get better drop rate main handing the THF knife. I might be wrong but for me it just works >.> Even though I have Blau, I main hand THF knife when I farm the latent works anyway lol^^ There is no way anyone can confirm this anyway but after killing mobs for hrs I will continue to main hand it from my results. My main point is this, we can't confirm doesn't hurt to just keep it in main hand just in case yea?
 Titan.Xanakali
サーバ: Titan
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-02-07 18:07:17  
Redenius said:
better drop rate main handing the THF knife. There is no way anyone can confirm this anyway

2,000 kills of the same mob starting at 90% moon on x day MH.

2,000 kills of the same mob starting at 90% moon on x day OH.

Compare results.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-07 18:17:59  
Didn't SE at the Summer '08 Fan Festival talk about TH?

I could have sworn they shed some light. At the very least what I got out of it, was it didn't matter what hand the THF knife was in, only that it was used and that once used you could take it off and the TH would still stay in effect. The same idea applied to the relic hands, that you could wear them... get a hit off... take them off and you'd have done your job...
 Shiva.Xellith
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-02-07 18:39:36  
Malekith said:
You could equip it, get one hit off, swap weps (and lose your TP in the process) BUT still have TH3 on the mob.

UNCONFIRMED!!!!!

SE stated that the highest 'treasure hunter' is recorded on the monster. It is NOT confirmed whether or not the +1 from armlets and dagger are put as increased versions of treasure hunter or if they are just +1% each to the drop rate.

Basically NOBODY has tested whether you need them equiped for the killshot or not.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-07 19:35:42  
Malekith said:
Didn't SE at the Summer '08 Fan Festival talk about TH?

I could have sworn they shed some light. At the very least what I got out of it, was it didn't matter what hand the THF knife was in, only that it was used and that once used you could take it off and the TH would still stay in effect. The same idea applied to the relic hands, that you could wear them... get a hit off... take them off and you'd have done your job...

I believe they said the thf had to be engaged to the mob for it to take effect. They also confirmed that rabbits foot and millionaires desk did nothing for TH. Thats all that was said. Unless there was another fanfest TH talk i missed. I dont know how someone could think that taking off an item does not take away something it gives. I personally believe that you need it on when mob is killed, when the treasure is pooled.

It is widely believed that it is just a 1% increase, since it says +1 and not "increases treasure hunter effect" like lots of other JA's have.
 Siren.Wiccaan
user: Wiccaan
By Siren.Wiccaan 2009-02-07 19:49:33  
From what I recall, it was confirmed from SE that you must be alive, be on the hate list, and be within exp range for TH to work. Meaning you can't just hit the mob and leave. You must stay on hate list for it to work.

TH has too many possible variables that are not confirmed, nor can be confirmed, without SE saying yes/no to them since drops and such are all server sided. Sadly, we will probably never get any info about it other then what has been said so far.

For having TH4 myself for about ~3 years, I have to say its hardly noticable when it comes to more serious drops. My personal opinion is that it helps with specific things more then other things. Such as crafting materials and crystals, vs. AFv2 in Dynamis.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-07 20:28:18

Well, latent effects and extra effects work on offhand daggers, so I'd assume TH+1 would as well (I off-hand it).

Of course, until SE tells us how the hell TH works in general, I don't believe a damn thing anyone says. There's no possible amount of tests that can ever give a definate answer to Treasure Hunter.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-07 20:34:39  
I might be perceiving this all wrong, but for additional effects from items to activate, the item has to be equipped on your character, surely? I can't see how the Treasure Hunter from Thief's Knife would activate if it's not equipped, regardless how many hits it lands. It's not like my Serket Ring is going to convert 50 of my HP to MP if it's not equipped.

The Additional Effect from Sirocco Kukri activates on every hit. Unequip the Knife and it the effect isn't active anymore. Seems the same should be said about Thief's Knife. Unequip it and the effect disappears.

(I only post this because somebody mentioned taking Thief's Knife off.)

Edit to Malekith's post below: Nice editing Malekith, your quote looked very wrong for a moment!
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-07 20:34:56  
Xellith said:
Basically NOBODY has tested whether you need them equiped for the killshot or not.

Google: SE fan festival treasure hunter

You should find what I did. I know they don't say much about it. HOWEVER, they do say that THF does NOT have to deliver the killing blow...

The above quote is just one instance where this was reported, but anyone who carried news of the Dev Q&A from the various fanfests ('06 and '07) ought to have the same info I'm citing.

As for the other stuff... I'd say just MH it, offhand something else so your DPS is at least respectable and focus on just being there for your job trait. Let the other people in your pt maximize their gear for a quick kill.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-07 20:38:26

I'm pretty sure a Thf doesn't even have to attack at all.
I've tried this with bird blood (back in the day) with a Thf just in the party and I kill. Needless to say, the drops increased dramatically.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-07 20:42:53  
Haseyo said:
I'm pretty sure a Thf doesn't even have to attack at all.
I've tried this with bird blood (back in the day) with a Thf just in the party and I kill. Needless to say, the drops increased dramatically.

Off topic, but I love your new avatar!
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-07 20:45:46

Haha thank you. Yours looks oddly familiar as well...
Can't put my nose on it...err, I mean, Thief's Knife, +TH, etc.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-07 20:48:34  
Haseyo said:
Haha thank you. Yours looks oddly familiar as well...
Can't put my nose on it...err, I mean, Thief's Knife, +TH, etc.

http://www.celestial6.com/images/humef73.jpg

It's a fanart by somebody I saw somewhere, I liked it as you can tell =)

Err, I mean, Thief's Knife, TH, etc!

(I think we got away with it!)
 Siren.Delirium
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-02-07 21:56:22  
last fanfest stated that enmity must be gained by the character with TH for it to activate.

as far as mh/oh whatever dagger is your higher dmg should always be your mh dagger.

onoz is funny /cheer
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-07 22:12:46  
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Fan_Festival_2007_Live_Blog#Q.26A

For TH to be active THF must perform an action on the target. Does not have to be killing strike.

Edit: include..

Do the luck items have any effect on drops and do they have to be consumed?
There is no hidden effects programed for these items. But there is no program for luck.
 Shiva.Xellith
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-02-08 04:12:11  
Malekith said:
Xellith said:

Google: SE fan festival treasure hunter

You should find what I did. I know they don't say much about it. HOWEVER, they do say that THF does NOT have to deliver the killing blow...

The above quote is just one instance where this was reported, but anyone who carried news of the Dev Q&amp;A from the various fanfests ('06 and '07) ought to have the same info I'm citing.

As for the other stuff... I'd say just MH it, offhand something else so your DPS is at least respectable and focus on just being there for your job trait. Let the other people in your pt maximize their gear for a quick kill.

SE said

Quote:
When more than one member has Treasure Hunter, the player with the strongest version will have theirs take effect for the party. The effect comes into play as soon as the Thief generates enmity from the target enemy. Even if the Thief dies, the effect remains.

This COULD mean that the TREASURE HUNTER TRAIT is recorded and that the +1 is NOT recorded but then calculated AFTERWARDS.

There is NO evidence of anyone killing around 3000 mobs and taking off the knife and armlets before every kill to check the drop rates.
 Alexander.Keldewis
サーバ: Alexander
user: Keldewis
By Alexander.Keldewis 2009-02-08 10:06:16  
You only get true TH if you beat THF Maat.....I thought everyone knew this already
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-02-08 13:37:55  
Xellith said:

SE said

Quote:
When more than one member has Treasure Hunter, the player with the strongest version will have theirs take effect for the party. The effect comes into play as soon as the Thief generates enmity from the target enemy. Even if the Thief dies, the effect remains.

This COULD mean that the TREASURE HUNTER TRAIT is recorded and that the +1 is NOT recorded but then calculated AFTERWARDS.

There is NO evidence of anyone killing around 3000 mobs and taking off the knife and armlets before every kill to check the drop rates.

All this means is that TH will not stack with another's TH.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-08 15:48:50

It also means a Thf can attack it once and then /sit. :o
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-08 16:57:28