Denouncing Global Warming Fraud

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Denouncing Global Warming Fraud
Denouncing Global Warming Fraud
 Asura.Emoneaone
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Oldsarge
By Asura.Emoneaone 2010-10-16 13:01:22  
Phoenix.Darki said:

doesn't mean that eco-friendly isn't better, it's less expensive to also make eco friendly items since the material they are made desintegrates faster too and easier to get. I took a class on this, but companies want to exploit eco-friendly hype right now and making things *** expensive when in reality it costs much MUCH more less than the ones that aren't eco-friendly.

Sorry to burst your academic bubble, but in the real world it is far more expensive to do "eco-friendly"

Petroleum is the cheapest energy source, how ever you look at it. Far more efficient in energy released per dollar to generate than bio-desiel, ethanol, lol-solar, and erratic wind.

I work in a manufacturing plant and it is far easier to make plastic out of petroleum byproducts than it is from corn (PLA - the noisy stuff that they tried on Sunchip bags)
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-10-16 13:02:45  
I hate those sunchip bags.
[+]
 Asura.Emoneaone
By Asura.Emoneaone 2010-10-16 13:18:13  
Siren.Kyte said:

Quote:
Folks are driving this drivel to make a buck. Recall that in the 1000's wine grapes were grown in Britain. It is too cold to do so now. Hmm, how many SUVs were they driving 1000 years ago???

Actually wine is still grown in the U.K.

Maybe you need to edit WIKI?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_from_the_United_Kingdom
"Traditionally seen as struggling with an unhelpfully cold climate, the English and Welsh wine industry has been helped by the warmer British summers over recent years and it is speculated that global warming may encourage major growth in the future."
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-10-16 13:19:16  
Lilix said:

You're a lesbian. And we all know Global "Insert Nice Sciency Sounding Words Here" is just a way to force more regulation and raise taxes on developed countries. Whether it's real or not, the way politicians are pushing all their regulatory ***makes it seem like a *** fraud.

Okay, let's play along with the idea that the theory of Global Climate change is false- which it could be to an extent. Many of those regulations help control other important known environmental impacts. For example, combustion engines not only produce CO2, they also produce nitrogen compounds that are a component of acid rain.

Quote:
"Traditionally seen as struggling with an unhelpfully cold climate, the English and Welsh wine industry has been helped by the warmer British summers over recent years and it is speculated that global warming may encourage major growth in the future."

Did you even read the quote? Because it implies that wine is, and has been for a while, grown in the U.K.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-16 13:20:11  
Siren.Kyte said:
The term is actually "Global Climate Change," not Global Warming. The mere fact that he doesn't even correctly use the accepted terminology among scientists makes me question his opinion on the subject.
Quote:
Folks are driving this drivel to make a buck. Recall that in the 1000's wine grapes were grown in Britain. It is too cold to do so now. Hmm, how many SUVs were they driving 1000 years ago???
Actually wine is still grown in the U.K.
Quote:
During the industrial revolutions in both the late 1800s and 1950s the earth's surface temperature were at record lows.
Uhhh, ya. It takes time for excess CO2 production to build up. Global Climate change is about the cumulative effect that human industry, since its beginning until now- not about a single coal burning electric plant, or your neighbor's SUV.
Quote:
Do you go to the south pole and see them yourself to check? Or do you just listen to what the news tells you? I think the answer is the 2nd one
Have you gone to the moon to make sure we landed there? You haven't- because it's unnecessary. There's plenty of photographs and satellite imagery that shows glacier problems- not just at the South Pole, but everywhere where there are glaciers.

Actually there have been shown to be errors with images and the like of the ice caps, showing that we've errored in our calculations of the size of the caps. So this does bring to question the validity of said "images." Never trust anything 100% in science...nothing is ever proven...only support or refuted.

And yes, politics and media have dubbed it global warming erroneously. It is climate change, and by theory it would/will cause extremes in temperatures.

However keep in mind theres evidence to support sudden climate shifts (over decades) in oceanographic records, and the oceans are currently believed to be below mean sea level for the planet.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-16 13:20:58  
Asura.Emoneaone said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

doesn't mean that eco-friendly isn't better, it's less expensive to also make eco friendly items since the material they are made desintegrates faster too and easier to get. I took a class on this, but companies want to exploit eco-friendly hype right now and making things *** expensive when in reality it costs much MUCH more less than the ones that aren't eco-friendly.

Sorry to burst your academic bubble, but in the real world it is far more expensive to do "eco-friendly"

Petroleum is the cheapest energy source, how ever you look at it. Far more efficient in energy released per dollar to generate than bio-desiel, ethanol, lol-solar, and erratic wind.

I work in a manufacturing plant and it is far easier to make plastic out of petroleum byproducts than it is from corn (PLA - the noisy stuff that they tried on Sunchip bags)
Nuclear.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-16 13:26:08  
Just remember kids, 100 years ago our major environmental concern was what we were going to do about all the horse poop in city streets. Makes you wonder 100 years from now what the human race will be concerned with.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-16 13:30:10  
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Just remember kids, 100 years ago our major environmental concern was what we were going to do about all the horse poop in city streets. Makes you wonder 100 years from now what the human race will be concerned with.
well according to Futurama in about 1k years we'll have to deal with a trash comet :D
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-10-16 13:39:54  
This topic has been presented before, about a year ago. Gonna repost my own reply and a couple other replies that I found useful, but feel free to go through that thread as well. (Oh, btw! Despite the amount of green in that thread, this was way before I was a mod, just FYI. XD And holy old, veteran posters like #2, Wooooodum, LittleDarc, and a sane Korpg, Batman.)

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Whether or not global warming is true, let's start with what we DO know:

Depleting the Ozone Layer:
The ozone layer is composed of O3 molecules that are formed due to the photodissociation and recombination of O + O2 -> 03 molecules. This entire process takes a lot of energy, but this chemical reaction is exactly what saves us from being burned up by the sun's rays--about 90% of the energy from the sun goes into this reaction.

Bring in CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons, CFCl3) into the atmosphere, and the energy from the light easily dissociates a Cl from the atom:
CFCl3 + hv (light) --> CFCl2 + Cl
This Cl ion is extremely dangerous in the atmosphere, as it can pretty much react with the unstable O3 of the ozone layers to create a more stable molecule of ClO, which reacts with another O3 molecule to form 2 stable O2 molecules, and pretty much disrupt the ozone dissociation-recombination cycle.

The whole idea behind chemical reactions is that molecules will take the easiest reaction, given the right "ingredients" or reactants, to give the most stable product, hence why unstable O3 molecules are so reactive, and Cl molecules find it very easy to react and disrupt this cycle--it doesn't take as much energy to create ClO molecules as it does to create O3 molecules.

The "Greenhouse Effect":
Here's the basic equation: Any alkane found in carbon-based fossil fuels combusts (reacts with oxygen) in the presence of heat in order to form CO2 and water. Nothing is generally harmful about carbon dioxide, it's just that, given BILLIONS of people doing this every day, we create a HELL of a lot of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Why is this bad? It turns the planet Earth into a more effective "black body"--essentially, any sort of electromagnetic radiation (i.e., rays of light from the sun) is absorbed and kept more readily instead of radiating or reflecting a fraction the radiation.

THAT much we know, and can confirm. Now as to the degree by which humans have CAUSED all this--we drive cars, used hairspray/Freon/styrofoam cups with CFCs, and the Industrial Revolution in the 18th and 19th centuries sure didn't help much, either--well, I'd say we helped it quite a lot, and should probably do something about it. The government, I'd say, just got a little bit smarter.

Phioness had a few good references:
Shiva.Phioness said:
Okay since you want proof here it is. I prefer National Geographic because it is very unpolitical (for the most part), widely respected, and completely operates off donations.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070306-pollution-storms.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070316-arctic-pollution.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070709-china-pollution.html

6 Degrees: The Book
Author Mark Lynas

In possibly the most graphic treatment of global warming yet published, noted science writer and 2006 National Geographic Emerging Explorer Mark Lynas explains in his latest book, Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet, how Earth’s climate will be impacted with every degree of increase in temperature — and what we need to do about it, now, to avert disaster.

Scientists have established that the current episode of global warming of about 0.7 degrees Celsius (1.2 degrees Fahrenheit) in the last century has pushed Earth’s temperatures up to levels unprecedented in recent history. A 2007 report by the Nobel Peace Prize-winning UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) states that at no time in the past 1,300 years has our planet been as warm as it is now, while records from the deep sea suggest that temperatures are now within a degree of their highest levels in 1 million years.

According to the IPCC, Earth will warm up between 1.4 degrees Celsius and 5.8 degrees Celsius (roughly 2 degrees Fahrenheit to 10 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of this century. Six degrees may not sound like much, but as this sobering and engrossing book warns, such a rise in average temperature would be enough to destroy much of life and reshape our world almost beyond recognition.

Global warming is already a fact: the snows of Kilimanjaro are melting away; massive boulders on the Matterhorn, snowbound for centuries, have begun to plunge in dramatic and dangerous rockfalls; and atoll nations of the Pacific are disappearing inch by inch under the waves.

Basing his conclusions on peer-reviewed articles in leading climatology, geophysics, biology, and Earth system science journals, Lynas explains in unflinching detail the processes and effects of this unprecedented phenomenon, degree by degree. He draws on the latest research and sophisticated computer models as well as paleoclimatic reconstructions of the past that show conclusively that today’s climate change is a new and different challenge, not the routine swing of a slow climatic pendulum.

Lynas, journalist, campaigner, and broadcaster on environmental issues, is also the author of High Tide: News from a Warming World. He is a frequent contributor to New Statesman, Ecologist, Granta, and Geographical and other periodicals as well as the Guardian and Observer newspapers in the United Kingdom. He lives in Wolvercote, Oxford, U.K.

And finally, some random dude spouting useless ***:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
My opinion is sort of a purely pragmatic one. I don't really have a particular ideology one way or the other. I liken it to this analogy:

Let's say you wake up one morning and you check your bank account balance online, because you're planning to go buy a new TV. You are shocked to discover that you have a balance of -$13,000.

There are two possibilities: It could be an internal bank error, or it could be a massive financial FAIL on your part. You have a fairly high opinion of your personal spending habits, so you're pretty sure it's a bank error, but you can't be certain. Unfortunately, the bank is closed for an extended holiday and there's no way to call and ask for quite awhile. (Like, oh, the next 200 years.)

The question we're asking ourselves is: do we assume it's a bank error and buy the TV on credit anyway?

I would argue that the question of whether or not it's a bank error is irrelevant at that point. Even if it turns out not to be your fault in the end, you don't buy the friggin' TV for now until you have it sorted out.

Anyways, if you STILL think it's a "myth," it's not. But, y'know, don't take the word of several scientists who have nothing better to do with their lives than test this theory to give us a better picture on how we as organisms adversely affect the environment we live in. By all means, keep being that frog in the pot of water on a lit stove. (Not that it's biologically true [it isn't], but it illustrates the point clearly.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-16 13:46:41  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Asura.Emoneaone said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
doesn't mean that eco-friendly isn't better, it's less expensive to also make eco friendly items since the material they are made desintegrates faster too and easier to get. I took a class on this, but companies want to exploit eco-friendly hype right now and making things *** expensive when in reality it costs much MUCH more less than the ones that aren't eco-friendly. .
Sorry to burst your academic bubble, but in the real world it is far more expensive to do "eco-friendly" Petroleum is the cheapest energy source, how ever you look at it. Far more efficient in energy released per dollar to generate than bio-desiel, ethanol, lol-solar, and erratic wind. I work in a manufacturing plant and it is far easier to make plastic out of petroleum byproducts than it is from corn (PLA - the noisy stuff that they tried on Sunchip bags)
Nuclear.
Damn beat me too it.

Also newer coal/oil burning requirements are actually started to make them much less cost efficient. And once you get past the high start up cost nuclear always was cheaper. Just too many hippys and sensationalist out there killing it every chance they get
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-16 13:50:32  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Asura.Emoneaone said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
doesn't mean that eco-friendly isn't better, it's less expensive to also make eco friendly items since the material they are made desintegrates faster too and easier to get. I took a class on this, but companies want to exploit eco-friendly hype right now and making things *** expensive when in reality it costs much MUCH more less than the ones that aren't eco-friendly. .
Sorry to burst your academic bubble, but in the real world it is far more expensive to do "eco-friendly" Petroleum is the cheapest energy source, how ever you look at it. Far more efficient in energy released per dollar to generate than bio-desiel, ethanol, lol-solar, and erratic wind. I work in a manufacturing plant and it is far easier to make plastic out of petroleum byproducts than it is from corn (PLA - the noisy stuff that they tried on Sunchip bags)
Nuclear.
Damn beat me too it.

Also newer coal/oil burning requirements are actually started to make them much less cost efficient. And once you get past the high start up cost nuclear always was cheaper. Just too many hippys and sensationalist out there killing it every chance they get
can we just kill all the hippies already? like make them shark food or something, seriously the only real concern with proper nuclear energy is secure storage and meltdowns, which rarely happen (don't if the proper procedures are followed) and all our plants are ancient, new ones would be insanely safer (if you don't go cheap on building) so yeah why don't we take all these unemployed people and make them start pouring concrete.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-16 13:56:11  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
can we just kill all the hippies already? like make them shark food or something, seriously the only real concern with proper nuclear energy is secure storage and meltdowns, which rarely happen (don't if the proper procedures are followed) and all our plants are ancient, new ones would be insanely safer (if you don't go cheap on building) so yeah why don't we take all these unemployed people and make them start pouring concrete.
Make them into bio fuel :). Yeah rarely. Like 3 major accidents history I think? And 2 were completely contained. And you aren't allowed to go cheap on construction. Pucker factor is so high you have to build well. Hell that's where most the start up cost comes from is quality material and construction
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-10-16 13:57:19  
Unfortunately the U.S.'s biggest concrete supplier causes massive mercury contamination lol
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-16 13:59:22  
Siren.Kyte said:
Unfortunately the U.S.'s biggest concrete supplier causes massive mercury contamination lol
lol that's just sad. what about the 2nd biggest? :D
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-16 13:59:45  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Make them into bio fuel :). Yeah rarely. Like 3 major accidents history I think? And 2 were completely contained. And you aren't allowed to go cheap on construction. Pucker factor is so high you have to build well. Hell that's where most the start up cost comes from is quality material and construction
biofuel for their volkswagon minibus
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-16 14:00:39  
Siren.Kyte said:
I'm cool with that. I mean mercury makes you immortal right? :)
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-16 14:11:38  
I say we just create a cocoon-esque society in the sky, and let earth be used as our energy/resource factory!
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-10-16 14:15:07  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Siren.Kyte said:
I'm cool with that. I mean mercury makes you immortal right? :)

Sweetest of the transition metals!
 Fenrir.Vazerus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-10-16 14:15:46  
A few of you are forgetting some things... This turned into sort of a rant, so sorry if I go somewhat off topic. When I say climate change, I mean the part potentially caused by us. -edit- Guess it took me too long to put this post together, there are a bunch of new posts now xD.

1) While petroleum is a cheap energy source now, it won't always be there. It only makes sense to gear our research toward solar power because the sun isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Solar energy might be expensive and crappy now, but as the technology is improved prices will surely fall.

Also, as mentioned, burning petroleum causes more damage than "climate change". It just isn't an effective energy source; the only reason we use it now is because it's easy.

2) Nuclear power isn't as "clean" as some of you make it out to be. Fossil fuels are used in the mining, refining, and transport of uranium, which actually uses substantial energy just to power the nuclear power plants. Once it's at the plant, it creates energy for a while, huzzah! Then it has to be trucked off to Nevada or w/e and stored for...ever, or at least for many, many, many generations to come.

I had a class in college almost two years ago that was about the carbon footprint and such, and we were given a ton of sources that explained why nuclear energy isn't the answer, but for the life of me I can't find them right now. They actually made valid points, and didn't just say "hurr durr Chernobyl," which is all I'm finding right now.

3) I wrote a paper in college which was explaining where I want the world to go as far as transportation technology. I wanted an eco friendly alternative to burning gas, which as we know is pretty harmful. At first I researched hydrogen as fuel... I remember that idea being all the rage for a while, and I found out why that died down; it takes more energy to separate hydrogen than the energy you get from using it as fuel (LOL).

In the end I resorted to electric cars (Tesla Motors as an example) being the best for our environment, although just plugging it into an outlet doesn't change anything; the emissions would just shift from coming out of the car to coming out of more power plants. Long story short, personal solar car charging stations would save a LOT of energy, and it would be very clean.

The only issue right now is the price, but as the tech gets better, the price will fall. Then people can still enjoy their fast/efficient cars without having to worry about the cost of gas. That right there solves a lot of our emissions problems, imo, which contributes to ozone depletion and "climate change," if that indeed is something true.

As a last note, it's better to do something about nothing, than do nothing about something. If there is NOT "climate change" and we don't do anything about it, then we're good. If there is NOT "climate change" and we do something, then at the very least we're improving our technology. If there IS "climate change" and we do nothing, we're ***. If there IS "climate change" and we do something, then we're good to go, and now we're potentially more technologically advanced.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Emoneaone
By Asura.Emoneaone 2010-10-16 14:39:17  
Siren.Kyte said:

Quote:

Did you even read the quote? Because it implies that wine is, and has been for a while, grown in the U.K.

Guess I have spell it out for you, since you aren't catching my drift. Way back, many years ago, it was easy to grow wine because it was warmer. Easy enough that it was exported. Now, it is very hard because of cold climate. Understand?

As for the other posts about the need to stop using petroleum, sure, I agree. It is too useful as an industrial material to just burn it. BUT, we've got to get other energy sources vastly more efficient to make them as cheap as petroleum. Cold Fusion, anyone? And I like the Bio-diesel from Hippies idea!
[+]
 Fenrir.Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-10-16 14:47:31  
Yeah, I know we can't move from petroleum right this second, but I can see it within the next 10 years xD.
By cjconstantine 2010-10-16 14:49:32  
I'm doing my part for global warming ... I'm doing my best to get my carbon footprint to match Al Gore's. Needless to say, I'm well short of my goal.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-10-16 14:53:40  
Asura.Catastrophe said:
This is an advocacy against fossil fuels, not necessarily nuclear power.
If I can find the stuff we read about in school, I'll post it :<
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-16 15:06:54  
Global warming is the ***.. who the hell likes snow anyways :D
 Phoenix.Mogue
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-10-16 15:08:12  
ITT:

[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2010-10-16 15:26:34  
Asura.Catastrophe said:
All our answers are in the Dyson Sphere :D

And proper efficient commercial fusion by 2050.

Glad to see someone else has the right idea.

Fusion is definitely they way to go.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-10-16 15:54:18  
Asura.Emoneaone said:
Siren.Kyte said:

Quote:

Guess I have spell it out for you, since you aren't catching my drift. Way back, many years ago, it was easy to grow wine because it was warmer. Easy enough that it was exported. Now, it is very hard because of cold climate. Understand?

Okay, I'll *** spell it out to you- there are now more vineyards (and farther north) in Britain now than there were 1000 years ago.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-16 15:55:36  
Siren.Kyte said:
Asura.Emoneaone said:
Siren.Kyte said:

Quote:

Okay, I'll *** spell it out to you- there are now more vineyards (and farther north) in Britain now than there were 1000 years ago.

Source.